Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 books in 2019  (Read 7485 times)

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
Re: 50 books in 2019
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2019, 01:01:51 AM »

(and with HJC in the background)

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2019, 04:21:22 PM »

1. "Manhattan Beach" - Jennifer Egan - Give me a book that's just about Eddie and the bosun.
2. "Dark Sacred Night" - Michael Connelly - Connelly finally puts Bosch and Ballard together and I like it.
3. "My Own Devices: Essays From the Road on Music, Science, and Senseless Love" - Dessa - I first heard about Dessa during Barb during her MPR days. I saw this book on the NPR book thingy and thought I would check it out. Parts of this book will definitely stick with me for a long time. I love the way her mind works, even if it seems to work against her in some aspects of her life.
4. "Come with Me" - Helen Schulman - Slooooooooooow start but I finally connected with the book in the final quarter. But, it took me all month (and about a week and a half of late fines from the library) to finish it.
5. "The Heart's Invisible Furies" - John Boyne
6. "Still Me" - Jojo Moyes
7. "To All the Boys I've Loved Before" - Jenny Han
8. "P.S. I Still Love You" - Jenny Han
9. "Always and Forever, Lara Jean" - Jenny Han
10. "The Wedding Date" - Jasmine Guillory - I wanted something and light and found this recommendation from Roxane Gay. I flew through the book. Definitely light and LUSTY.
11. "Rich People Problems" - Kevin Kwan
12. "We're Going to Need More Wine" - Gabrielle Union
13. "Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine" - Gail Honeyman - I found myself crying a lot while reading this book. She really pulls you into the loneliness of this character.
14. "The Proposal" - Jasmine Guillory - I had so much fun with her first book that I hopped onto the second one, which follows a secondary character from her first book.
15. "The Bride Test" - Helen Hoang - This was recommended for folks who liked the Jasmine Guillory books. I was not disappointed. I'm embracing my sudden need for somewhat trashy novels.
16. "The Lager Queen of Minnesota" - J. Ryan Stradal - Life's what happens while you're busy making other plans.
17. "Sunset Beach" - Mary Kay Andrews - I don't really read these but my best friend loves them. So, I thought we could discuss it during our vacation together this week. I started off hating this protagonist, but she and the story grew on me.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2019, 10:22:44 AM »

1-  i'm a stranger here myself- bill bryson
2- oh crap!  Potty Training: Everything Modern Parents Need to Know to Do It Once and Do It Right- jamie glowacki
3- sideshow usa: freaks and the american cultural imagination-  rachel adams
4- bhagavad gita- translated and commentary by ac bhaktivedanta swami prabhupada
5- lord of light- roger zelazny
6- uncle's dream- dostoyevsky
7- infinite jest- david foster wallace
8- the complete works of pseudo dionysius
9- nigger of the narcissus- joseph conrad 
10- the ascent of money- niall ferguson

11- zen mind, beginner's mind- shunryu suzuki-  never thunk a book could help me on my posture.  never thought that posture, coupled with breathing would reveal the entire universe.  to me.  if it wasn't for that stubborn christianity rearing it's head, i think i'd have a much clearer vision of what i believe in.  suzuki said that's ok.  just sit

he teaches you how to sit, how to stand...  and how you'll be amazed by your correct posture.  i believe that's true.  the family starting seeing a chiropractor when first was born.  i set upon improving my posture.  i slouch.  part of why i do, i think, is because when i make a conscious effort to stand with conviction, i no longer feel humble.  the confidence it exhumes makes me cocky enough to shrug it off and immediately forget it, accept that i'm irrevocably broken.  i felt like people thought i was looking down on them.  but whatever.  that's in the past.  a buddy mentioned a friend of his sits across town and i'd like to join him sometime.  once second becomes a bit older that more time becomes available 
poach eggs, not elephants

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2019, 10:41:36 AM »

1. Andrzej Sapkowski - Baptism of Fire
2. Tara Westover - Educated
3. Andrzej Sapkowski - Tower of Swallows
4. Agatha Christie - And Then There Were None
5. Marlon James - Black Leopard, Red Wolf
6. Kevin Kwan - Crazy Rich Asians
7. Andrey Kurkov - Death and the Penguin

Former-Soviet-block literature is a weird genre. Bleak at times, cold and dark at times, but also bonkers with an incredibly dry humor. The main character has a pet penguin! I mean, really! It was an easy read (a fact I truly enjoyed) and had a nice little story. Not bad, I suppose.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2019, 01:17:00 PM »

Me and my sister have had so many arguments about "And Then There Were None" over the years.  Because the plot is both ridiculously convoluted and ridiculously stupid.  And, it's a lot like many other Agatha Christie books so you get mixed up.

We used to have an old paperback copy at my house.  There's a copy of it in both of our current houses. Me and my sister have probably read that book at least 50 times.  Because it's there, you're bored, it's mildly entertaining, and you can finish it off in an hour or two, especially if you've already read it.

But one week after you read it, you completely forget the whole plot.  Well maybe not the whole plot, you just forget maybe one part of the plot and then because the whole thing has to be linked together to make sense, you really forget the entire plot.  You start making up your own story to try and fit the parts you remember, and of course it will be wrong.

So we always end up arguing over it. "It was a suicide that they made look like a murder"  "NO, it was a murder they made look like a suicide."  "He killed that one guy and pinned it on the other dude."  "NO he only baited that one guy into legit killing the other dude."  "They solve the crime"  "NO the guy confesses" "NO they solve the crime by finding his confession."

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2019, 03:56:04 PM »

Hahah. That sounds about right.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2019, 05:13:54 PM »

Same thing happens with Dick Francis.

"That's the one where the jockey did it."  "No the jockey is the good guy, it was the trainer that did it" "No the trainer is the narrator"  "No the narrator is the detective, who used to be a jockey, but the jockey did it."  "... with the trainer."  "Maybe you're right."

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2019, 04:35:06 PM »

1. "Manhattan Beach" - Jennifer Egan - Give me a book that's just about Eddie and the bosun.
2. "Dark Sacred Night" - Michael Connelly - Connelly finally puts Bosch and Ballard together and I like it.
3. "My Own Devices: Essays From the Road on Music, Science, and Senseless Love" - Dessa - I first heard about Dessa during Barb during her MPR days. I saw this book on the NPR book thingy and thought I would check it out. Parts of this book will definitely stick with me for a long time. I love the way her mind works, even if it seems to work against her in some aspects of her life.
4. "Come with Me" - Helen Schulman - Slooooooooooow start but I finally connected with the book in the final quarter. But, it took me all month (and about a week and a half of late fines from the library) to finish it.
10. "The Wedding Date" - Jasmine Guillory - I wanted something and light and found this recommendation from Roxane Gay. I flew through the book. Definitely light and LUSTY.
13. "Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine" - Gail Honeyman - I found myself crying a lot while reading this book. She really pulls you into the loneliness of this character.
14. "The Proposal" - Jasmine Guillory - I had so much fun with her first book that I hopped onto the second one, which follows a secondary character from her first book.
15. "The Bride Test" - Helen Hoang - This was recommended for folks who liked the Jasmine Guillory books. I was not disappointed. I'm embracing my sudden need for somewhat trashy novels.
16. "The Lager Queen of Minnesota" - J. Ryan Stradal - Life's what happens while you're busy making other plans.
17. "Sunset Beach" - Mary Kay Andrews - I don't really read these but my best friend loves them. So, I thought we could discuss it during our vacation together this week. I started off hating this protagonist, but she and the story grew on me.
18. "The Last Romantics" - Tara Conklin - I wish it would have pulled off the Sci-Fi vibe that it gave me in the beginning. But, I still enjoyed it for the look at loss and grief.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2019, 10:53:03 PM »

1-  i'm a stranger here myself- bill bryson
2- oh crap!  Potty Training: Everything Modern Parents Need to Know to Do It Once and Do It Right- jamie glowacki
3- sideshow usa: freaks and the american cultural imagination-  rachel adams
4- bhagavad gita- translated and commentary by ac bhaktivedanta swami prabhupada
5- lord of light- roger zelazny
6- uncle's dream- dostoyevsky
7- infinite jest- david foster wallace
8- the complete works of pseudo dionysius
9- nigger of the narcissus- joseph conrad 
10- the ascent of money- niall ferguson
11- zen mind, beginner's mind- shunryu suzuki

12- the frontiersmen- allan eckert- folks like simon kenton sure do make storytellin' easy
poach eggs, not elephants

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2019, 09:45:08 AM »

8. Andrzej Sapkowski - The Lady of the Lake

Ahhhhhh I LOVE IT ALL!

There's one more prequel to read. And then I'm thinking about reading them again because GODDAMN THEY ARE SO GOOD.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2019, 12:16:54 PM »

18. "The Last Romantics" - Tara Conklin - I wish it would have pulled off the Sci-Fi vibe that it gave me in the beginning. But, I still enjoyed it for the look at loss and grief.
19. "Evvie Drake Starts Over" - Linda Holmes

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2019, 10:58:07 PM »

8. Andrzej Sapkowski - The Lady of the Lake
9. Neil Gaiman - The Graveyard Book

Quick read, but it was VERY adorable. Everything about it was quite likable, as Gaiman's stuff tends to be, and I couldn't recommend this enough. I wish there were more!

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2019, 12:18:58 PM »

19. "Evvie Drake Starts Over" - Linda Holmes
20. "The Royal Holiday" - Jasmine Guillory - This lady writes the kind of fluff that I like!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up