Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 books in 2019  (Read 3624 times)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Re: 50 books in 2019
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2019, 10:51:34 AM »

1. The Heart's Invisible Furies - John Boyne
2. Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
3. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith
4. Uncle Tom's Cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe

5. The Road to Unfreedom - Timothy Snyder

When historian/author Timothy Snyder visited our library for a talk a few years ago I was first in line. His books chronicling both the Holocaust and the tug of war between Germany and the USSR during WWII over the 'ownership' of Eastern Europe are well-researched, well-written and a psychological sucker punch. A professor of history at Yale, he can read/write and understand nearly a dozen languages, an asset that lends greater authenticity to his work.

I first learned of him via footnotes and cited references in the books of other historians of WWII. After the fall of the Soviet Union, Snyder was the guy digging through the newly opened Soviet archives and translating the works from Russian, Polish and Ukrainian into English and German, as well as cross-referencing and comparing documents and written accounts in the original German and Russian languages.

This new history book of his also makes great use of his linguistic flexibility, as he chronicles the rise of authoritarianism and explains exactly how and why Russia is currently engaged in a cyber war with the United States and the European Union. He first took note of Russia's widespread and effective use of disinformation during the pro-democracy uprisings in Ukraine, and watched with growing horror as the same happened during the 2016 U.S. presidential election and the British vote to remain or leave the E.U.

For Snyder, Russia isn’t a distraction; it’s a potent threat to democracy. “Russia obviously interfered in U.S. elections,” he says. To think otherwise is to “deny truth.” The book is bleak, but it is absolutely on point. He's not some crackpot spouting conspiracy theories on the internet, he's the guy who understands exactly what is going on, and he's written this book to give readers the same sense of urgency. Things are bad, and they are only going to get worse if we in the West don't wake up and act while we still have a choice.

It's a terrifying book to read. I admit that I had to keep putting it down because it gave me panic attacks. It's taken me several weeks to calm myself down enough to write this review. Everyone who believes in the principles of freedom as detailed in the U.S. Constitution and our Declaration of Independence needs to read this book - and act accordingly. Only we can change the future. I just hope we are not already too late.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2019, 10:54:30 PM »

Thanks for that insightful review MK. Of course there are other books out there examining the same issues (as there are on Trump's ways to diminish the truth, and I'm being mild). I've read several of them. And it just makes you wonder when people are finally going to wake up to what is really going on. Except that 40% or so of the US population will never wake up or accept these facts, yes, facts. They simply reject it.

As citizens, there is only one way to act, and that is to vote, each and every one of us. Coming from Belgium (where voting is mandatory), I am simply blown away how many people are not using their one way to contribute in this wonderful country that is the US by voting. But like I always like to point out, people get the politicians they deserve. At this point in time it was Trump. And it is up to us the voters to make a change about that. Unless of course we don't get enough voters like that. Think about that!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2019, 01:13:04 PM »

1. "Manhattan Beach" - Jennifer Egan - Give me a book that's just about Eddie and the bosun.
2. "Dark Sacred Night" - Michael Connelly - Connelly finally puts Bosch and Ballard together and I like it.
3. "My Own Devices: Essays From the Road on Music, Science, and Senseless Love" - Dessa - I first heard about Dessa during Barb during her MPR days. I saw this book on the NPR book thingy and thought I would check it out. Parts of this book will definitely stick with me for a long time. I love the way her mind works, even if it seems to work against her in some aspects of her life.
4. "Come with Me" - Helen Schulman - Slooooooooooow start but I finally connected with the book in the final quarter. But, it took me all month (and about a week and a half of late fines from the library) to finish it.
5. "The Heart's Invisible Furies" - John Boyne
6. "Still Me" - Jojo Moyes
7. "To All the Boys I've Loved Before" - Jenny Han
8. "P.S. I Still Love You" - Jenny Han
9. "Always and Forever, Lara Jean" - Jenny Han
10. "The Wedding Date" - Jasmine Guillory - I wanted something and light and found this recommendation from Roxane Gay. I flew through the book. Definitely light and LUSTY.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2019, 10:52:28 PM »

1-  i'm a stranger here myself- bill bryson
2- oh crap!  Potty Training: Everything Modern Parents Need to Know to Do It Once and Do It Right- jamie glowacki
3- sideshow usa: freaks and the american cultural imagination-  rachel adams
4- bhagavad gita- translated and commentary by ac bhaktivedanta swami prabhupada
5-lord of light- roger zelazny
6- uncle's dream- dostoyevsky

7- infinite jest- david foster wallace- what the fuck?  am i left, hanging?  coulda gone for about a hundred more pages.  words fail me
poach eggs, not elephants

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2019, 02:18:31 PM »

1. "Manhattan Beach" - Jennifer Egan - Give me a book that's just about Eddie and the bosun.
2. "Dark Sacred Night" - Michael Connelly - Connelly finally puts Bosch and Ballard together and I like it.
3. "My Own Devices: Essays From the Road on Music, Science, and Senseless Love" - Dessa - I first heard about Dessa during Barb during her MPR days. I saw this book on the NPR book thingy and thought I would check it out. Parts of this book will definitely stick with me for a long time. I love the way her mind works, even if it seems to work against her in some aspects of her life.
4. "Come with Me" - Helen Schulman - Slooooooooooow start but I finally connected with the book in the final quarter. But, it took me all month (and about a week and a half of late fines from the library) to finish it.
10. "The Wedding Date" - Jasmine Guillory - I wanted something and light and found this recommendation from Roxane Gay. I flew through the book. Definitely light and LUSTY.
11. "Rich People Problems" - Kevin Kwan

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2019, 11:12:26 AM »

Bad, good, medium?  Recommended? Hated?

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2019, 04:07:54 PM »

Bad, good, medium?  Recommended? Hated?
Have you read any of the other ones?
I liked it the least of the three in the series.
But, it is always fun to spend some time in that world.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2019, 01:09:06 PM »

About to start the first one.... someday soon?

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2019, 10:07:44 AM »

1. Andrzej Sapkowski - Baptism of Fire
2. Tara Westover - Educated
3. Andrzej Sapkowski - Tower of Swallows
4. Agatha Christie - And Then There Were None
5. Marlon James - Black Leopard, Red Wolf

This book sucked the fun out of reading for me. It's a fantastical journey through a fantasy Africa and tells lots of stories and is written in a unique and interesting way. It also is a book that I will never read again, likely never be happy that I read in the first place, but am very proud that I finished. I hated it from the start, but I read 200 pages for Book Club and then forced myself to finish it. There are a lot of conflicting opinions about it....like it's written in a way that is both really interesting and unique and therefore I would equate Mr. James as an advanced author...but then I also think it was so difficult to read because he's such a poor writer and I couldn't understand what was going on. It's hyper violent, rapey, extremely brutal, and overly sexualized, but it's also emotionally tender and focuses a lot on love and family. Or at least, they want to talk about those things enough.

So...if you're an advanced reader (maybe an English Lit major, or a library employee, or someone who reads 50-100 books per year) it's probably recommended just so you can read something different. But...I don't know how I feel about actually recommending this book to someone. Ugh. I hear that it's intended to be the first in a trilogy (don't worry, it's a complete story) and I promise that I will NOT be reading the other two. Or probably anything Mr. James writes.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2019, 10:38:31 PM »

1.  All We Ever Wanted--Emily Giffin
2.  Let Me List the Ways--Sarah White
3.  My Whole Truth--Mischa Thrace
4.  Hey, Kiddo--Jarrett J Krosoczka  (2019 YALSA Non-Fiction Finalist)
5.  Darius the Great is Not Okay--Adib Khorram (2019 Morris Winner)
6.  The Night Diary--Veera Hiranandani  (2019 Newbery Honor)
7.  The Swing of Things--Linda Keir
8.  Fool's Moon (Tarot Cats Mystery)--Diane A.S. Stuckart
9.  A Heart in a Body in the World--Deb Caletti (2019 Printz Honor)
10.  Check Please!: #Hockey V. 1--Ngozi Ukazu
11.  The Tattooist of Auschwitz--Heather Morris
12.  Hurricane Child--Kacen Callender
13.  Children of Blood and Bone--Tomi Adeyemi
14.  Becoming--Michelle Obama
15.  Beastie Boys Book--Michael Diamond
16.  Hearts Unbroken--Cynthia Leitich Smith
17.  Freshmen--Tom Ellen
18. Liar, Liar--James Patterson
19.  Picture Us in the Light--Kelly Loy Gilbert
20.  The Road to Auschwitz: Fragments of a Life--Hedi Fried
21.  Miracle at St Andrews--James Patterson
22.  Brazen:  Rebel Women Who Rocked the World--Penelope Bagieu
23.  On the Come Up--Angie Thomas
24.  The Chef--James Patterson
25.  The Reckoning--John Grisham
26.  The Driest Season--Meghan Kenny (a Dayton Literary Peace Prize nominee)
27.  The Clubhouse Thief--James Janko (a Dayton Literary Peace Prize nominee)
28.  The Evolution of Love--Lucy Jane Bledsoe (a Dayton Literary Peace Prize nominee)
29.  That Kind of Mother--Rumaan Alam (a Dayton Literary Peace Prize nominee)
30.  Southernmost--Silas House (a Dayton Literary Peace Prize nominee)
31.  The Girl They Left Behind--Roxanne Veletzos (a Dayton Literary Peace Prize nominee)
32.  The Sisters Hemingway--Annie England Noblin
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2019, 01:57:11 PM »

11. "Rich People Problems" - Kevin Kwan
12. "We're Going to Need More Wine" - Gabrielle Union - OK celebrity memoir - not enough gossip, but good thoughts on parenting as a step-mother, as a celebrity, and as a parent of black boys. I'm none of those things, but still enjoyed reading her insight.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up