Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 books in 2018  (Read 11414 times)

luisterpaul

• City Elder
Re: 50 books in 2018
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2018, 05:45:35 PM »

I have a new favorite author. Not that I could always relate to the characters or situations, but what got me was her writing. Oh, her writing! So much packed into each sentence. Each short story -- some were only a couple pages -- contained a novel. Some I read multiple times. Amazing.

Yeah, I like Hempel. 

Have you read Lucia Berlin?  Here are two of her one page short stories:

http://publishersweekly.tumblr.com/post/125367216056/my-jockey-by-lucia-berlin

http://extracts.panmacmillan.com/extract?isbn=9781447294900&utm_source=panmacmillan.com%20A%20Manual%20for%20Cleaning%20Women%20Book%20Page
I had not, but I have now. That's some good stuff. Thank you. Next trip to the library...

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2018, 01:31:51 PM »

1. Playing In The Dark: Whiteness and the Literary Imagination - Toni Morrison
2. Battling the Gods: Atheism in the Ancient World - Tim Whitmarsh
3. Stranger Than Fiction: True Stories - Chuck Palahniuk
4. The Man Who Fell In Love With The Moon - Tom Spanbauer
5. Snuff - Chuck Palahniuk
6. Collected Stories - Amy Hempel
7. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson

Well, I have finally read this book, though I still haven't seen the movie.

Mixed feelings on this one. Gonzo journalism is an interesting concept, and I can see the value in it, but does he undo the gains by making stuff up at the same time? It becomes commentary at that point, doesn't it? An editorial, rather than a report.

Still, it was entertaining.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2018, 03:23:28 PM »

1. Philip Pullman - The Book of Dust, Volume 1: La Belle Sauvage
2. Helaine Olen and Harold Pollack - The Index Card: Why Personal Finance Doesn't Have to be Complicated
3. J.D. Vance - Hillbilly Elegy

Better than I expected it to be, and I think I enjoyed it. I was fearing it would be a conservative something or other, but instead I found Vance to be writing for all sides of the political spectrum because his main points that a stable family and having reasonable parent figures in your life don't seem to be politically touchy points. Yes those are good things to have and yes we should all try strive for that. And of course, congratulations to him for escaping.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2018, 04:35:35 PM »

Better than I expected it to be, and I think I enjoyed it. I was fearing it would be a conservative something or other, but instead I found Vance to be writing for all sides of the political spectrum because his main points that a stable family and having reasonable parent figures in your life don't seem to be politically touchy points. Yes those are good things to have and yes we should all try strive for that. And of course, congratulations to him for escaping.
Not having read the book....how much did he reference Middletown if at all? 
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2018, 09:39:13 PM »

Mixed feelings on this one. Gonzo journalism is an interesting concept, and I can see the value in it, but does he undo the gains by making stuff up at the same time? It becomes commentary at that point, doesn't it? An editorial, rather than a report.

Still, it was entertaining.

like ed muskie's ibogaine addiction?  i haven't read any hunter yet 
poach eggs, not elephants

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2018, 12:19:07 PM »

Not having read the book....how much did he reference Middletown if at all? 

Every chapter. Maybe every other page?
It's mostly a book about Middletown and slightly about Jackson, Kentucky.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2018, 01:40:50 PM »

2. Helaine Olen and Harold Pollack - The Index Card: Why Personal Finance Doesn't Have to be Complicated

not only did he escape, he came back.  an interesting gubernatorial candidate

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2018, 08:18:22 AM »

8. The Three-Body Problem - Cixin Liu

One of the most inventive sci-fi books I've read in years. Truly unique vision. The writing -- in terms of characterization and dialogue, mostly -- got a little odd on occasion. I'm not sure if that's due to translation from Chinese or cultural differences or what. Regardless, it was a fascinating book I could hardly put down.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2018, 11:49:33 AM »

1- montessori from the start: the child at home, from birth to age three- paula polk lillard and lynn lillard jessen
2- tao te ching- lao tzu
3- smile, you're traveling- henry rollins
4- solomon gursky was here- mordecai richler
5- music for chameleons- truman capote
6- storming heaven- denise giardina

7- the industrial revolutionaries; the making of the modern world, 1776-1914- gavin weightman- what i was originally after was the fallout of society from the industrial revolution (and this clearly is about those that tink), nevertheless, a quality ensemble of eccentrics.  many who made this world had very little technical training and were mostly self taught.  my favorite was robert fulton whom would whore himself out to anyone.  the brits bought him from the french (he was american) so he'd stop annoying them with his torpedo.  the adventurous richard trevithick, father of the locomotive, carried out of colombia but barely alive.  that man was a hoot

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2018, 06:19:47 AM »

8. The Three-Body Problem - Cixin Liu
9. Drown - Junot Diaz

Excellent writer, but these stories were bleak as hell.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2018, 08:28:17 AM »

I loooove Junior Diaz but yeah, he is depressing as hell. Itís usually the worst kind of depressing too, because itís not like a dramatic bad ending.

The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao is still one of my favorite books of all-time, though.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2018, 09:36:12 AM »

4. Andrzej Sapkowski - The Last Wish

The first of the series of books about The Witcher, which is where the video game of the same name originates from. I am currently playing The Witcher 3 and am really enjoying it, so I thought I'd read up on the background material.

I effing loved it. Every freaking page. I can't wait to read the rest. It's standard fantasy but my god is it enjoyable and easy to read.

This book was just a series of short stories, which I believe were originally in magazines or something like that and they just put them into one binding. But it still works for me. The next book might be like that too, but I am hoping the later books are actually full-on books.  I'm too lazy to google it to find the answer.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2018, 05:34:14 PM »

I loooove Junior Diaz but yeah, he is depressing as hell. Itís usually the worst kind of depressing too, because itís not like a dramatic bad ending.

The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao is still one of my favorite books of all-time, though.
I've heard good things. I'm sure I'll get to it sooner rather than later.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2018, 05:36:52 PM »

4. Andrzej Sapkowski - The Last Wish

The first of the series of books about The Witcher, which is where the video game of the same name originates from. I am currently playing The Witcher 3 and am really enjoying it, so I thought I'd read up on the background material.

I effing loved it. Every freaking page. I can't wait to read the rest. It's standard fantasy but my god is it enjoyable and easy to read.

This book was just a series of short stories, which I believe were originally in magazines or something like that and they just put them into one binding. But it still works for me. The next book might be like that too, but I am hoping the later books are actually full-on books.  I'm too lazy to google it to find the answer.
I'm glad to hear this positive a response to a video game tie-in. I read a novel from an author who regularly does video game tie-ins, and it was horrendous. I wanted to find him and stick him with a shiv.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2018, 09:32:20 AM »

1. "White Tears" - Hari Kunzru
2. "Two Kinds of Truth" - Michael Connelly
3. "Who Fears Death" - Nnedi Okorafor
4. "Angels Flight" - Michael Connelly - Decided to re-read this one in preparation for the new season of BOSCH. It's a terrific choice to use for the show, now more than ever.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up