Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 books in 2018  (Read 7740 times)

daytime drinking

• City Elder
50 books in 2018
« on: January 04, 2018, 12:34:49 PM »

1- montessori from the start: the child at home, from birth to age three- paula polk lillard and lynn lillard jessen-  the wife and i are planning on sending the little one to a montessori school when the time comes.  she politely urged me to read this book she bought.  i acquiesced like i always do.  quarter of a way thru the notion hit me and i said, wife.  if we're going to have a human, we might as well raise her like a human.  it's pretty wild that your kids don't need you as much as you think they do.  at one of the montessori open houses i went to (wife couldn't go) the keynote speaker who wrote the unfortunately titled book unselfie left me in tears.  she was talking about empathy and how empathy isn't fluffy.  we got her book from the library but wife didn't want to read it so i passed as well 
poach eggs, not elephants

luisterpaul

• City Elder
Re: 50 books in 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 07:18:40 AM »

1. Playing In The Dark: Whiteness and the Literary Imagination - Toni Morrison

Brief series of lectures. White American writers have not been kind over the years.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 02:59:47 PM »

1. Philip Pullman - The Book of Dust, Volume 1: La Belle Sauvage

First of a prequel trilogy to His Dark Materials, it was fully enjoyable. Don't know if it's good per se, since it's volume 1 and it's (mostly) an incomplete story.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 02:07:10 PM »

Brief series of lectures. White American writers have not been kind over the years.

curious.  care to name names?

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 08:38:21 AM »

The classics: Poe, Hemingway, Melville, Twain, etc.

To be clear, her book wasn't meant to be judgement on these writers, nor was she saying they themselves were racist. This is only literary criticism. Her point was that black characters have been used in part to define whiteness in American literature. In order to portray white characters as strong, in control, and intelligent, black characters are portrayed as weak, powerless, and stupid.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 12:29:10 PM »

The classics: Poe, Hemingway, Melville, Twain, etc.

To be clear, her book wasn't meant to be judgement on these writers, nor was she saying they themselves were racist. This is only literary criticism. Her point was that black characters have been used in part to define whiteness in American literature. In order to portray white characters as strong, in control, and intelligent, black characters are portrayed as weak, powerless, and stupid.

fair enough.  sounds like an interesting read.  that reminds me, i've got a big fat twain book i want to get into

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 02:23:52 PM »

Who is Big Fat Twain?  Mark's Hip-Hop cousin?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 02:31:12 PM »

a brother from another mother?  no, it's a book wife got me for christmas moons ago, roughin' it

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 09:26:00 AM »

Someone on twitter was bemoaning the lack of a gender-neutral "brother from another mother" / "sister from another mister," so they presented: Sib from another crib.

Carry on.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 09:01:16 PM »

1- montessori from the start: the child at home, from birth to age three- paula polk lillard and lynn lillard jessen

2- tao te ching- lao tze- i know i'm missing the point already by rereading it, but i just wanted a little clarification on the river

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 03:42:57 PM »

1. "White Tears" - Hari Kunzru
"When you listen to an old record, there can be no illusion that you are present at a performance. You are listening through a gray drizzle of static, a sound like rain. You can never forget how far away you are. You always hear it, the sound of distance in time. But what is the connection between the listener and the musician? Does it matter that one of you is alive and one is dead? And which is which?"
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 09:02:56 AM »

1. "White Tears" - Hari Kunzru
2. "Two Kinds of Truth" - Michael Connelly

"You want a drink? I'm out of beer. I've got a bottle of bourbon and that's about it."
"Bourbon's good," Edgar said. "Maybe with a cube or two."
Bosch signaled him into the living room, while he cut right into the kitchen. He got two glasses out of a cabinet and dropped some ice into them. He heard Edgar pull the broomstick out of the sliding door track and open the slider. Bosch grabbed the bottle of bourbon off the top of the refrigerator and went out to the deck. Edgar was standing at the railing, looking down into the Cahuenga Pass.
"Place still looks the same," Edgar said.
"You mean the house or the canyon?" Bosch asked.
"I guess both."
"Cheers."
Bosch handed him both glasses so he could crack the seal on the bottle and pour.
"Wait a minute," Edgar said when he saw the label. "Are you kidding me?"
"About what?" Bosch asked.
"Harry, do you know what this stuff is?"
"This?"
Now Bosch looked at the label. Edgar turned and dumped the ice over the railing. He then held the empty glasses out to Bosch.
"You don't put ice in Pappy Van Winkle."

Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 09:15:32 AM »

2. Battling the Gods: Atheism in the Ancient World - Tim Whitmarsh

Good, but not great. There were interesting ideas, but I wasn't always impressed with the handling of the original sources: Sometimes he brought the ancient writers to life, sometimes he seemed to be putting words in their mouths.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 01:38:17 PM »

1- montessori from the start: the child at home, from birth to age three- paula polk lillard and lynn lillard jessen
2- tao te ching- lao tze

3- smile, you're traveling- henry rollins- by far the best shitter book.  in terms of enjoyability and the parameters predicated upon being a travel journal.  you read a few pages and leave satisfied that there was a completion, in more ways than one.  i prefer the upstairs toilet because it's warmer. 

but man, henry rollins is so fucking corny.  but man, i'd love to have his confidence.  there's no way i could ever just blow off some african customs man.  when i told my neighbor henry rollins was my shitter book hey told me how great of an idea that was to have henry rollins yelling at you while you're trying to take a shit
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:19:53 AM by daytime drinking »

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 02:51:01 PM »

Henry Rollins is like the rare truthful loudmouth at the bar who pisses everyone off.  Until finally someone challenges him on his stories, and it turns out he's legit and really has done all the things he brags about. 

But at the same time, what is really pissing everyone off is that he won't shut up and no one wants to hear about it, and even if everything is true he's still not nearly as cool/smart/tough as he thinks he is.  People don't believe his stories, but the overarching thing is that he's an asshole whether or not he is lying.

But then because Rollins is legit, and the other guy who challenged him has egg on his face, Rollins wins.  And everyone else at the bar has to listen to Rollins drone on and on, with the extra irritant that they've been added to the tale as yet another time Rollins was right and prevailed over doubters. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up