Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 books in 2018  (Read 6267 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: 50 books in 2018
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2018, 11:23:12 AM »

1. "White Tears" - Hari Kunzru
2. "Two Kinds of Truth" - Michael Connelly
3. "Who Fears Death" - Nnedi Okorafor
4. "Angels Flight" - Michael Connelly - Decided to re-read this one in preparation for the new season of BOSCH. It's a terrific choice to use for the show, now more than ever.
5. "Everything I Never Told You" - Celeste Ng - I started and abandoned a few books in March but this one really grabbed ahold of me. It was depressing as shit and it also made me really glad that I never fucked up some kid's life as their parent.
6. "The Mother of Black Hollywood" - Jenifer Lewis - The palette cleanser I needed after Ng's book. SHE IS HILARIOUS.
7. "The Paying Guests" - Sarah Waters - OK, I am not finishing this book. It is taking me forever and I don't like it and I'm tired of making myself read it. I don't care if I'm 350 pages in. I can't think of a satisfying ending. So, I don't really need to know what it is.
8. "The High Tide Club" - Mary Kay Andrews (audiobook) - My BFF has been listening to this and decided that I needed to listen to it as well. Some fun moments but not really my cuppa. Definite beach read that was OK as a daily commute companion.
9. "The Last Black Unicorn" - Tiffany Haddish (audiobook)
10. "Loving Day" - Mat Johnson
11. "Small Admissions" - Amy Poeppel - The easy-breezy fluff I was looking for.
12. "Something in the Water" - Catherine Steadman - This will do for an airport read.
13. "Lovecraft Country" - Matt Ruff
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2018, 04:52:28 PM »

1. Philip Pullman - The Book of Dust, Volume 1: La Belle Sauvage
2. Helaine Olen and Harold Pollack - The Index Card: Why Personal Finance Doesn't Have to be Complicated
3. J.D. Vance - Hillbilly Elegy
4. Andrzej Sapkowski - The Last Wish
5. Ada Palmer - Too Like The Lightning
6. John Steinbeck - The Pearl / The Red Pony
7. Andrzej Sapkowski - The Sword of Destiny
8. David Benioff - City of Thieves
9. Ada Palmer - Seven Surrenders
10. Andrzej Sapkowski - Blood of Elves
11. Jennifer Egan - Manhattan Beach

Everyone around here is reading this for their book club. As did we. It was fine - a well researched novel that had an amazing attention to detail and really transported the reader back to an age long ago (1930s and 1940s counts as 'long ago' to me). Recommended if you enjoy reading, although I do have to say that I had a lot of nit-picky issues with the book that I wouldn't have had if I wasn't reading it for book club. Maybe it's better as a casual read.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2018, 08:32:19 AM »

Everyone around here is reading this for their book club. As did we. It was fine - a well researched novel that had an amazing attention to detail and really transported the reader back to an age long ago (1930s and 1940s counts as 'long ago' to me). Recommended if you enjoy reading, although I do have to say that I had a lot of nit-picky issues with the book that I wouldn't have had if I wasn't reading it for book club. Maybe it's better as a casual read.

I had this book from the library but took too long reading it. So, it had to go back. Hoping to pick it back up again.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2018, 02:58:06 PM »

I've vaguely thought about reading Manhattan Beach, but I don't know.

I read A Visit from the Goon Squad (as did Hegemo, IIRC).  And I liked it and would objectively concede that it was quite clever, well put together, and a nice casual/enjoyable read at the same time.  But it was nowhere near worth the massive amounts of hype it got.  Which sort of soured me on Egan, even if that maybe isn't quite fair.

Maybe when the hype over Manhattan Beach dies out and I feel like I can approach it just like a book without the baggage I will pick it up.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2018, 10:06:05 PM »

1- montessori from the start: the child at home, from birth to age three- paula polk lillard and lynn lillard jessen
2- tao te ching- lao tzu
3- smile, you're traveling- henry rollins
4- solomon gursky was here- mordecai richler
5- music for chameleons- truman capote
6- storming heaven- denise giardina
7- the industrial revolutionaries; the making of the modern world, 1776-1914- gavin weightman
8- burning daylight- jack london
9- a life full of holes- driss ben hamed charhadi
10- for bread alone- mohamed choukri
11- one of ours- willa cather
12- antic hay- aldous huxley
13- tree of smoke- denis johnson
14- all god's dangers; the life of nate shaw-  as dictated to theodore rosengarten
15- save the cat!- blake snyder
16- roughing it- mark twain
17- between the world and me- ta-nehisi coates
18- the art of war- sun tzu
19- the poisonwood bible- barbara kingsolver
20- wisconsin death trip- michael lesy
21- rambles with anatole france- sandor kemeri

22- east of eden- john steinbeck- man if there was a theme it was extremely subtle.  he tortured poor adam trask.  such a slow death.  and you didn't think he'd fail.  i shoulda known better.  the book's worth reading alone for the character samuel hamilton.   classic steiny 

i really think anticipation drove this book, there's not a whole lotta action.  more philosophic, lots of chatter

i lost count of how many suicides, murders, and natural deaths (i include military combat) there were, but suicide number two was very satisfying.  what an unbelievable monster.  i wanted her out of the book immediately even though i understood she had quite a role to perform as she caused the book 
poach eggs, not elephants

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #125 on: September 30, 2018, 02:14:48 PM »

1- montessori from the start: the child at home, from birth to age three- paula polk lillard and lynn lillard jessen
2- tao te ching- lao tzu
7- the industrial revolutionaries; the making of the modern world, 1776-1914- gavin weightman
14- all god's dangers; the life of nate shaw-  as dictated to theodore rosengarten
22- east of eden- john steinbeck

23- you are your child's first teacher- rahima baldwin darcy- this is a book on the waldorf school methodology.  the little one and i attended their nature tots program for the better part of this past year so we've been summarily acquainted.  we were supposed to read and discuss this book during snack time but none of the mothers seemed to bother with it therefore neither did i.  my wife suggested i look into it.   i came away with a lot of good insight even if it was a bit dreamy.  for instance, the warmth of a fever can induce positive change in a child.  my favorite was something that rudolf steiner, waldorf's founder, had to say about the child.  he refers to them as priestly.  thus those who look upon a child are akin to caretakers of the divine, as they recognize divinity in them and introduce him or her to the earthly life thru the sacred qualities of rhythm, beauty, and love.  awesome right?

i think to say that the waldorf philosophy is just developing a bunch of free thinkers isn't giving it enough credit.  it's modeled after the evolution of the practical human.  with all this work foisted upon even toddlers, it's like our nation created the joneses' to keep up with.  what really pisses me off about our educational system isn't as much the testing it's the lost emphasis on gym class or music class or art class

a former montessori teacher told me recently that even montessori is becoming more standardized.  so she just retired.  there's a montessori school right a couple blocks down the street from my house and it's practically attached to a local preserve that they aren't fucking allowed to go in.  this world is such a silly place

while waldorf schools are immensely popular, it still is a bit too expensive for us and that montessori school is just down the street.  regardless, my wife doesn't think we should wait until the little one is seven before she learns to read (which is what the waldorf does).  i can go either way.  however we are most likely going to wait a year before we send her to kindergarten.  sorry to bother y'all with the details.  i didn't intend upon it

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2018, 02:57:07 PM »

1. Playing In The Dark: Whiteness and the Literary Imagination - Toni Morrison
2. Battling the Gods: Atheism in the Ancient World - Tim Whitmarsh
3. Stranger Than Fiction: True Stories - Chuck Palahniuk
4. The Man Who Fell In Love With The Moon - Tom Spanbauer
5. Snuff - Chuck Palahniuk
6. Collected Stories - Amy Hempel
7. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson
8. The Three-Body Problem - Cixin Liu
9. Uprooted - Naomi Novik
10. Drown - Junot Diaz
11. Tracer - Frederick Barthelme
12. The Dark Forest - Cixin Liu
13. Subtraction - Mary Robison
14. What We Talk About When We Talk About Love - Raymond Carver
15. There Must Be Some Mistake - Frederick Barthelme
16. Elysium Fire - Alastair Reynolds
17. One D.O.A. One On the Way - Mary Robison
18. Norse Mythology - Neil Gaiman
19. Homegoing - Yaa Gyasi
20. The Lathe of Heaven - Ursula K. Le Guin
21. Adjustment Day - Chuck Palahniuk
22. How Fiction Works - James Wood
23. Word Puppets - Mary Robinette Kowal
24. Make Something Up: Stories You Can't Unread - Chuck Palahniuk
25. A Moveable Feast - Ernest Hemingway
26. Ancillary Justice - Ann Leckie
27. Elroy Nights - Frederick Barthelme
28. The Business of Being a Writer - Jane Friedman
29. Tell Me 30 Stories - Mary Robison
30. I Loved You More - Tom Spanbauer
31. Redshirts - John Scalzi
32. Ancillary Sword - Ann Leckie
33. Ancillary Mercy - Ann Leckie
34. The Super Ladies - Susan Petrone
35. The Law of Averages: New and Selected Stories - Frederick Barthelme
36. In the City of Shy Hunters - Tom Spanbauer

I adore Spanbauer's writing. His repeated phrases, his unique characters. This may not have been my favorite of his books, but I was still sad it ended.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2018, 02:46:48 PM »

2- tao te ching- lao tzu
23- you are your child's first teacher- rahima baldwin darcy

24- the 2000 year old man in the year 2000- mel brooks and carl reiner- good toilet fodder.  i forgot to read this book in a jewish voice which the authors recommended.  i caught myself doing it anyway.  that made it somewhat funnier.  what i really took away from the book was my yearning for nostalgic brooklyn fare.  say dan, how much a coupla egg creams and a pastrami run a fella these days? 

25- zen in the art of archery- eugen herrigel- apparently there's a whole series on these.  i'm never sure how to start out a review on a book like this.  i suppose i was surprised by how naive this german professor turned pupil was.  seems to me if you're remotely interested in the eastern thought you wouldn't think these zen masters would be trying to shoot an arrow at a target.  archery like painting and flower arrangement etcetera is a time honored japanese past time.  it goes beyond even art for the sake of art 

while teaching philosophy between the wars in tokyo, he was able to persuade a zen master to teach him archery in order that he might also find zen.  at the end of a six year course he magically became a master archer, one who stands on the shoulders of his teachers.  maybe six years is the logical amount of time.  his wife took up flowers though her study is omitted.  i assume she became a master after exactly six years

he doesn't say why he sought enlightenment, probably scared of death like any good heathen.  whatever his inspiration i do feel he was positively affected by his devotion.  i love how eastern thought is full of contradictions.  he had too much willful will to accept that the arrow shoots of its own accord but just stubborn enough to see it through

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2018, 04:04:50 PM »

4. "Angels Flight" - Michael Connelly - Decided to re-read this one in preparation for the new season of BOSCH. It's a terrific choice to use for the show, now more than ever.
5. "Everything I Never Told You" - Celeste Ng - I started and abandoned a few books in March but this one really grabbed ahold of me. It was depressing as shit and it also made me really glad that I never fucked up some kid's life as their parent.
6. "The Mother of Black Hollywood" - Jenifer Lewis - The palette cleanser I needed after Ng's book. SHE IS HILARIOUS.
7. "The Paying Guests" - Sarah Waters - OK, I am not finishing this book. It is taking me forever and I don't like it and I'm tired of making myself read it. I don't care if I'm 350 pages in. I can't think of a satisfying ending. So, I don't really need to know what it is.
8. "The High Tide Club" - Mary Kay Andrews (audiobook) - My BFF has been listening to this and decided that I needed to listen to it as well. Some fun moments but not really my cuppa. Definite beach read that was OK as a daily commute companion.
12. "Something in the Water" - Catherine Steadman - This will do for an airport read.
14. "Eleanor & Park" - Rainbow Rowell - repeat
15. "Unclaimed Baggage" - Jen Doll

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #129 on: October 12, 2018, 03:36:06 PM »

14. "Eleanor & Park" - Rainbow Rowell - repeat
15. "Unclaimed Baggage" - Jen Doll
16. "The Sunshine Sisters" - Jane Green

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #130 on: October 18, 2018, 10:34:37 PM »

1. Philip Pullman - The Book of Dust, Volume 1: La Belle Sauvage
2. Helaine Olen and Harold Pollack - The Index Card: Why Personal Finance Doesn't Have to be Complicated
3. J.D. Vance - Hillbilly Elegy
4. Andrzej Sapkowski - The Last Wish
5. Ada Palmer - Too Like The Lightning
6. John Steinbeck - The Pearl / The Red Pony
7. Andrzej Sapkowski - The Sword of Destiny
8. David Benioff - City of Thieves
9. Ada Palmer - Seven Surrenders
10. Andrzej Sapkowski - Blood of Elves
12. Abu Bakr Al Rabeeah and Winnie Yeung - Homes: A Refugee Story

A) OMG I DID IT. A book a month (I mean, 12 a year) is what I used to read ... but haven't since about 2012. So this is an exciting accomplishment to get back to that pace. I'm very pleased with myself.

B) The book... I liked it a lot. I didn't read it very fast until the last third, but overall it was nice to understand a picture of how difficult life is in a civil war and then as a refugee. It wasn't deep or full of literature or technically advanced writing. Instead, it was a picture of love and difficulty and challenges and, somehow, survival. Again, I quite liked it and recommend for anyone wanting to know what the Syrian civil war is like to a bystander in the middle of it.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #131 on: October 19, 2018, 08:19:13 AM »

1. Playing In The Dark: Whiteness and the Literary Imagination - Toni Morrison
2. Battling the Gods: Atheism in the Ancient World - Tim Whitmarsh
3. Stranger Than Fiction: True Stories - Chuck Palahniuk
4. The Man Who Fell In Love With The Moon - Tom Spanbauer
5. Snuff - Chuck Palahniuk
6. Collected Stories - Amy Hempel
7. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson
8. The Three-Body Problem - Cixin Liu
9. Uprooted - Naomi Novik
10. Drown - Junot Diaz
11. Tracer - Frederick Barthelme
12. The Dark Forest - Cixin Liu
13. Subtraction - Mary Robison
14. What We Talk About When We Talk About Love - Raymond Carver
15. There Must Be Some Mistake - Frederick Barthelme
16. Elysium Fire - Alastair Reynolds
17. One D.O.A. One On the Way - Mary Robison
18. Norse Mythology - Neil Gaiman
19. Homegoing - Yaa Gyasi
20. The Lathe of Heaven - Ursula K. Le Guin
21. Adjustment Day - Chuck Palahniuk
22. How Fiction Works - James Wood
23. Word Puppets - Mary Robinette Kowal
24. Make Something Up: Stories You Can't Unread - Chuck Palahniuk
25. A Moveable Feast - Ernest Hemingway
26. Ancillary Justice - Ann Leckie
27. Elroy Nights - Frederick Barthelme
28. The Business of Being a Writer - Jane Friedman
29. Tell Me 30 Stories - Mary Robison
30. I Loved You More - Tom Spanbauer
31. Redshirts - John Scalzi
32. Ancillary Sword - Ann Leckie
33. Ancillary Mercy - Ann Leckie
34. The Super Ladies - Susan Petrone
35. The Law of Averages: New and Selected Stories - Frederick Barthelme
36. In the City of Shy Hunters - Tom Spanbauer
37. The Buried Giant - Kazuo Ishiguro

I liked this take on fantasy well enough, but something about it just didn't connect with me. I felt kinda the same about Never Let Me Go. I loved that movie, but the book was just okay.

38. Marcus Aurelius: A Life - Frank McLynn

What a tedious tome. McLynn managed to suck that life out of one of my favorite figures from the ancient world. Too much commentary, not enough letting Aurelius's life stand on its own.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #132 on: October 19, 2018, 08:21:02 AM »

OMG I DID IT. A book a month (I mean, 12 a year) is what I used to read ... but haven't since about 2012. So this is an exciting accomplishment to get back to that pace. I'm very pleased with myself.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #133 on: October 19, 2018, 03:49:02 PM »

38. Marcus Aurelius: A Life - Frank McLynn

What a tedious tome. McLynn managed to suck that life out of one of my favorite figures from the ancient world. Too much commentary, not enough letting Aurelius's life stand on its own.

tnx for the head's up.  i've been meaning to find a proper aurelius read.  although, i do like singer songwriters

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2018, 02:01:49 PM »

2- tao te ching- lao tzu
23- you are your child's first teacher- rahima baldwin darcy
24- the 2000 year old man in the year 2000- mel brooks and carl reiner
25- zen in the art of archery- eugen herrigel

26- empires of light; edison, tesla, westinghouse and the race to electrify the world- jill jonnes-   tesla was probably a martian.  and who woulda thunk edison comes out unscathed from the fracas?   not just unscathed, but essentially created hollywood as his final act.  tesla gets the dubious distinction of having posthumously bested marconi in a patent scrabble (and his later resurrection).  ayn rand gets hard when she thinks about westinghouse

people shit on edison.  he's become a villain hasn't he?  i'm willing to cut him some slack.  he wasn't the easiest person to work for if you were part of the help but no more so than the rest of the gilded age bosses.  the dog trials era of the war of the currents was edison at his weakest.  he didn't personally execute the dogs with electricity but he oversaw it because dc.  anyway, dc bogged him down but he never forgot how to pick himself up.  unlike tesla who never came down.  westinghouse seems fictional

i read it quick as whatever.  it's probably hard to fuck up a story like this but i thought it was a good introduction to this fantastic tale

all roads go thru jp morgan
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up