Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 100 music cd's from the library 2018  (Read 8641 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Re: 100 music cd's from the library 2018
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 09:16:03 AM »

You guys are taking this kinda hard.  We'll get through it together.

I don't give any band a whole lot of time to win me over, there's just too many fish in the sea.  So if I hear something and it sucks that's pretty much it for that band unless I'm given a reason to try again.  All I heard was whatever was popular from Reflektor and I thought it sucked.  I don't "get out much" in terms of discovering new music, I don't listen to radio.... hell, I didn't even listen to WOXY at the time,  it didn't come in anywhere that I was listening to the radio.  I did get pretty heavily dependent on WNKU, though if they ever played AF I didn't know it.  I don't stream really, though that is beginning to change.  I basically hear my music based on word of mouth and what little I hear of bands in pop culture.  Arcade Fire never made its way through except for Reflektor (maybe when they were SNL?  That's what stands out).  That's all.  If I should give other stuff a chance, I will.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2018, 10:27:23 AM »

"It's nice talking music again"

3 posts later

Hey guys, fucking calm down with the music talk would ya?

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2018, 01:21:12 PM »

You guys are taking this kinda hard.  We'll get through it together.

HA!   :) :) :ninja: :pirate: ;)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2018, 01:31:18 PM »

Nice try Buttman, but I said nothing of the sort.

The point I was making, which you missed so completely, is that I'm just not an explorer when it comes to music.  I rely on others in large measure to point the way.  Most of the music I have discovered in the last probably ten years has been through you people, and often you specifically, so when we're not talking about music, like we are now, I lose ground.  WNKU helped with that, but they're gone now.

So yes, I think it's funny that you guys are losing your shit over my opinion of Arcade Fire, but also, it is a necessary feedback loop for me because I'd never have known to give them another shot otherwise.

Also, you can kiss it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 02:22:08 PM by Kwyjibo »

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2018, 02:54:19 PM »

1. Shut Down the Streets - A.C. Newman
2. The Slow Wonder - A.C. Newman
3. Sorry is Gone - Jessica Lea Mayfield
4. Man About Town - Mayer Hawthorne
5. Wanted on Voyage - George Ezra
6. In///Parrallel - Dhani Harrison
7. S/T - Rainer Maria
8. Baby Driver (Music From the Motion Picture)
9 Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend

10. Hedwig and Angry Inch Original Cast Recording - I saw a production of this in Cincinnati years ago (I think Julie got the tickets from WOXY, in fact).  Really love the play and the music but had only ever heard the movie soundtrack and the cover album (Wig in a Box).  This is mostly pretty good.  I don't think I like the main character as much in this as other versions, however.

11. Yoko - Beulah - I've been cleaning up my music library lately because I switched to Android and am finally abandoning my old iPod classic, just can't deal with iTunes anymore, and don't want to carry two devices.  Anyhoo... I've been re-ripping stuff that I had in M4A format so that I don't eventually run into a wall with that format, and I had a song off of this album, but had never listened to it.  Cincinnati still had a copy so here we are.  That's a long story for an album that didn't do much for me.  It sounds like Beulah, which I liked, but nothing stands out as a keeper.  I'll probably delete it.

12. Invitation - Filthy Friends - Sounds pretty much like a female fronted REM.  Makes sense with Peter Buck in the mix.  It wasn't bad, but I didn't fall in love with it.  It seemed a tad over-produced and slick, even for me.

13. This Machine - The Dandy Warhols - I like "Bohemian Like You" and "We Used to be Friends," that was about the extent of my DWs knowledge prior to getting a few of their recently.  First listen on this one makes me think they're not my cuppa.  It's good enough, but it's not something I think I'd find myself going back to.

14. Jukebox the Ghost - Jukebox the Ghost
15. Safe Travels - Jukebox the Ghost - I saw these guys a long time ago at MPMF, might even have been the first year that Citybeat owned the festival, so how long ago was that?  So I've liked them a while, but not necessarily kept up with them.  Safe Travels I had heard before, back when Rdio was still around.  I enjoyed it, and will probably give it some more attention.  The self titled effort has a similar quality but there's no evolution there so it gets same-y.  These guys are what Walk the Moon could be, if they hadn't driven themselves off the Top 40 cliff.

16. The Very Best of Daryl Hall and John Oates - Hall & Oates - Yeah, I know.  This was about filling in holes in my library more than anything.  The stuff I've known all my life fits the nostalgia/guilty pleasure category.  The stuff I'm less familiar with doesn't hold up to 2018 sensibilities very well (not that "I Can't Go for That" really does either).  I'll keep the ubiquitous stuff and delete the rest.  Oddly, "Method of Modern Love," is a song that 'Weird' Al included in one of his polka medleys once and I had never known what the source was, now I do, but I'll never listen to it outside of the WAY medley again, turrible.

17. Most Messed Up - Old 97s - I have a complicated relationship with these guys.  I've had Fight Songs forever and I really love that album.  We went to see them live once, based on loving that album, and because so many people rave about their live show.  We thought they were boring as fuck.  I've tried several albums since then and they really don't do much for me, this one is no exception.  It's not bad, it's just not exciting in any way.

18. She's About to Cross My Mind - The Red Button -  Pandora served the title single up to me one day and I fell for it instantly, this is exactly the sort of jangly pop that I like.  There's some Candy Butchers in here, some Belle and Sebastian, some Shoes.  Four and a half out of five would recommend.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:34:40 PM by Kwyjibo »

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 03:25:22 PM »

The point I was making, which you missed so completely, is that I'm just not an explorer when it comes to music.  I rely on others in large measure to point the way.  Most of the music I have discovered in the last probably ten years has been through you people, and often you specifically, so when we're not talking about music, like we are now, I lose ground.  WNKU helped with that, but they're gone now.

I'm in a similar boat, as much as it pains me to admit it. I don't have the time like I used to for exploring. I've also lost a little of the passion. And, duh, a different job that doesn't really allow it. So I feel ya.

The Spotify monthly list is gold, though. You should look into it.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 03:39:57 PM »

I'm in a similar boat, as much as it pains me to admit it. I don't have the time like I used to for exploring. I've also lost a little of the passion. And, duh, a different job that doesn't really allow it. So I feel ya.

The Spotify monthly list is gold, though. You should look into it.
Seconded.

Spotify also makes you the Discover Weekly playlist, which is pretty good at throwing bands your way you might like based on your listening history (I assume). There's also the Daily Mix. It may only be algorithms, but they're pretty good ones.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2018, 04:24:14 PM »

18. She's About to Cross My Mind - The Red Button -  Pandora served the title single up to me one day and I fell for it instantly, this is exactly the sort of jangly pop that I like.  There's some Candy Butchers in here, some Belle and Sebastian, some Shoes.  Four and a half out of five would recommend.

The Red Button just released a retrospective either this week or last week that you can check out.  It has their first two albums (She's About To Cross My Mind and the possibly even better As Far as Yesterday Goes) plus an ep of new stuff.

Seth Swirsky is one of the more interesting people in music.  As a musician, he's an indie/powerpop guy known only to a few lonely, middle-aged men who still listen to powerpop.

As a person, he's crazy rich.  He wrote the Thomas's English Muffin jingle when he was 20 or something.  He also wrote Taylor Dane's Tell it to My Heart.   

He's also written some books.  He's a huge baseball fan, and he has three books which are collections of letters he wrote as fan to famous baseball players and their responses.  It's pretty cool, because he asks them some interesting questions, and their responses often reveal something about them you didn't know before.

He also owns the baseball that went between Bill Buckner's legs.  Or he used to.  I think he sold it to Charlie Sheen.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2018, 11:35:52 PM »

Seth Swirsky is one of the more interesting people in music.  As a musician, he's an indie/powerpop guy known only to a few lonely, middle-aged men who still listen to powerpop.

You're talking about us, aren't you?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 11:37:26 PM by Kwyjibo »

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2018, 07:42:14 AM »

Spotify also makes you the Discover Weekly playlist

I like these.  But it's pretty annoying when a band comes out with, say, a re-release that's full of demos of famous tracks.  Like for about 2 months, I was getting a Fleetwood Mac demo every week on this.  I don't freaking want to hear the demo version of "Monday Morning", thanks.

And it's a shame that you are so wrong about "Method of Modern Love".  That's a cheesy mid-80's classic.  That might've been their last hit too.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2018, 08:08:23 AM »

Spotify also makes you the Discover Weekly playlist

I like these.  But it's pretty annoying when a band comes out with, say, a re-release that's full of demos of famous tracks.  Like for about 2 months, I was getting a Fleetwood Mac demo every week on this.  I don't freaking want to hear the demo version of "Monday Morning", thanks.
Yeah, it's not perfect. Every so often I get a track I've already listened to approximately one crapload of times, or something equally incongruous.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2018, 08:09:52 AM »

And it's a shame that you are so wrong about "Method of Modern Love".  That's a cheesy mid-80's classic.  That might've been their last hit too.
As much as I love taking credit where it isn't due, I think you're thinking of someone else. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2018, 11:11:57 AM »

As much as I love taking credit where it isn't due, I think you're thinking of someone else. I have no idea what you're talking about.

I was replying to someone else from the chain.  Not you.  Sorry, I should've quoted that to make it clear.  I do like the idea that you spent some time trying to figure out why I said that to you though.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2018, 11:26:56 AM »

I was replying to someone else from the chain.  Not you.  Sorry, I should've quoted that to make it clear.  I do like the idea that you spent some time trying to figure out why I said that to you though.
Genuinely surreal moments are hard to come by.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2018, 12:08:11 PM »

You're talking about us, aren't you?

Dude, I just decoupaged a flowerpot.  Someone kill me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up