Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 100 music cd's from the library 2018  (Read 2500 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Re: 100 music cd's from the library 2018
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2018, 06:25:08 PM »

Wow, has it come to that for you?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2018, 09:24:18 AM »

1- jackson browne- running on empty.  classic jackson
2-avett brothers- the carpenter.  incredible.  i thought i enjoyed their music.  it's been too long i see
3-bob dylan- tempest.  my attempt at getting into new dylan is going about like i thought it would
4- kurt vile- b'lieve i'm goin down.  oh now i get it
5- gil scott heron & jamie xx- we're new here- have a digital copy, hadn't listened to in years.  i forgot that there was the electronic version.  fucking hideous.  why distort the legend, brosef?   
6- levon helm-  ramble at the ryman-  first listen to levon.  anna lee might go down as one of my favorite tunes
7- why?- mumps, etc..- probably my least favorite album of theirs.  i wonder if i feel this way because yoni lives a few streets down from me and i see him all the time
8- suzanne vega- close up volume one, love songs- sure
9- neil young with crazy horse- americana- i'm pretty determined to really get into neil young.  doing a shitty job thus far
10- of montreal- innocence reaches- when did they go all social justice warrior? 
11- sleigh bells- jessica rabbit- hell yeah.  that shit rocked

12- lana del rey- ultraviolence- hipster amy winehouse?  dig the album
13- black angels- indigo meadow- can't do it.  can't get into these folks
14- kurt vile- smoke ring for my halo- ended up listening to this for a lot longer than i intended to.  not bad
poach eggs, not elephants

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2018, 10:43:18 PM »

I like about half of the album, but overall, each and every new release from Lana gets me less and less interested. I couldn't find much interest in her very latest. "Born To Die", her debut album, still resonates and towers over all of her subsequent albums. As an aside, "Born To Die" is still on the Billboard 200, now 6+ years later, so it's not just me.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2018, 01:08:04 PM »

2-avett brothers- the carpenter.  incredible.  i thought i enjoyed their music.  it's been too long i see
3-bob dylan- tempest.  my attempt at getting into new dylan is going about like i thought it would
5- gil scott heron & jamie xx- we're new here- have a digital copy, hadn't listened to in years.  i forgot that there was the electronic version.  fucking hideous.  why distort the legend, brosef?   
6- levon helm-  ramble at the ryman-  first listen to levon.  anna lee might go down as one of my favorite tunes
7- why?- mumps, etc..- probably my least favorite album of theirs.  i wonder if i feel this way because yoni lives a few streets down from me and i see him all the time
9- neil young with crazy horse- americana- i'm pretty determined to really get into neil young.  doing a shitty job thus far
10- of montreal- innocence reaches- when did they go all social justice warrior? 
14- kurt vile- smoke ring for my halo- ended up listening to this for a lot longer than i intended to.  not bad

15- devendra banhart- mala- surprisingly easy listening.  i tried to force myself to enjoy his early freak folk years on the strength of a few tunes.   need to give smokey rolls down thunder canyon another spin as that was when he turned a page for me.  decent album 
16- ben harper & charlie musselwhite- get up- kinda figured this wasn't going to be my thing.  loved early ben harper

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2018, 01:09:03 PM »

I like about half of the album, but overall, each and every new release from Lana gets me less and less interested. I couldn't find much interest in her very latest. "Born To Die", her debut album, still resonates and towers over all of her subsequent albums. As an aside, "Born To Die" is still on the Billboard 200, now 6+ years later, so it's not just me.

upon a few more spins i agree.  a few tracks are really stand outs though

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2018, 09:34:59 PM »

15- devendra banhart- mala- surprisingly easy listening.  i tried to force myself to enjoy his early freak folk years on the strength of a few tunes.   need to give smokey rolls down thunder canyon another spin as that was when he turned a page for me.  decent album 
16- ben harper & charlie musselwhite- get up- kinda figured this wasn't going to be my thing.  loved early ben harper

17- liars- tfcf- i really like these guys
18- scissor sisters- night work- what a fun band
19- rolling stones- their satanic majesties request- another band i'm trying to get into

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2018, 10:58:23 PM »

19- rolling stones- their satanic majesties request- another band i'm trying to get into
If you haven't gotten into the Rolling Stones by now, I'm pretty sure you never will.... And that album surely isn't the best entry point, a mediocre album at best. If you are really new to the Stones, I can give you some better entry points.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2018, 12:00:12 AM »

I like it okay.  I would argue that hearing because it showcases a different side to them, while still remaining a legit Stones album and not just a sell out piece of poo like pretty much anything from the last 30 years.

Everyone has already heard their classic stuff.  So I think if youíre not really into the Stones, thereís an album which might spur you into thinking  them differently even if ultimately you donít think itís good.

Full Disclosure:  I am not into the Stones.  Love, love, love Exile.  Indifferent or more often openly hostile to just about everything else theyíve done.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2018, 10:02:09 PM »

If you haven't gotten into the Rolling Stones by now, I'm pretty sure you never will.... And that album surely isn't the best entry point, a mediocre album at best. If you are really new to the Stones, I can give you some better entry points.

i dunno.  i'm kinda digging this album.  it's got the song from bottle rocket.  i'd like more exposure

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2018, 11:25:50 PM »

i dunno.  i'm kinda digging this album.  it's got the song from bottle rocket.  i'd like more exposure
As ZK posted, head over to Exile On Main Street, or Sticky Fingers, the 2 most essential Stones albums, truly in their prime

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2018, 09:18:38 PM »

i like exile enough to make me want to get into them more.  maybe i'll get them library folk to get me sticky fingers.  is that where onyx's frontman got his name?   

Paco

• Summer Resident
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2018, 08:12:05 AM »

Fun fact: The cover photo crotch shot of Sticky Fingers, taken by Andy Warhol, was the character "Little Joe" (Joe Dallesandro) from Lou Reed's Walk On The Wild Side.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2018, 10:38:44 AM »

that is indeed a fun fact

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2018, 02:35:44 PM »

1. Shut Down the Streets - A.C. Newman
2. The Slow Wonder - A.C. Newman
3. Sorry is Gone - Jessica Lea Mayfield
4. Man About Town - Mayer Hawthorne
5. Wanted on Voyage - George Ezra
6. In///Parrallel - Dhani Harrison
7. S/T - Rainer Maria
8. Baby Driver (Music From the Motion Picture)
9 Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
10. Hedwig and Angry Inch Original Cast Recording
11. Yoko - Beulah
12. Invitation - Filthy Friends
13. This Machine - The Dandy Warhols
14. Jukebox the Ghost - Jukebox the Ghost
15. Safe Travels - Jukebox the Ghost
16. The Very Best of Daryl Hall and John Oates - Hall & Oates
17. Most Messed Up - Old 97s
18. She's About to Cross My Mind - The Red Button

19. CTRL - Sza - Had to see what all the hype was about.  I like "Prom" and the song from Black Panther so I thought I should check it out.  Not too surprised that I am clearly not the audience for this.  It was fine, but I'd never listen to it again.

20. When Your Heartstrings Break - Beulah - Better than Yoko, not as good as The Coast is Never Clear.  Probably not a keeper.

21. How Do You Do
22. A Strange Arrangement - Mayer Hawthorne - I'm really digging his stuff.  Definitely a Mowtown-ish vibe.

23. ...Earth to The Dandy Warhols - The Dandy Warhols - Didn't do anymore for me than This Machine.

24. Random Access Memories - Daft Punk - Seems like I'd given this one a spin when it first came out, but I couldn't remember how I felt about it.  But, of course it's awesome, duh.

25. Fake Nudes -  Barenaked Ladies - I want to like post-Stephen Page BNL, but I just don't.  This wasn't bad per se, but there's nothing exciting about it.  I don't necessarily think it has anything to do with SP being gone, Ed is a perfectly capable songwriter and arguably a better vocalist, I think BNL is just played out.

26. The Suburbs - Arcade Fire - So, as promised, I'm trying some more of their stuff.  I do like it, and they are not at all what I thought they were, at least pre-Reflektor.  That said, this album could easily shave five (or seven) tracks and have every bit as much impact.  Sixteen tracks is way too long.

27. Capacity - Big Thief - Really enjoyed this one after a couple of listens.  "Shark Smile" and "Mary" are both great tracks, while being almost polar opposite vibes.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2018, 03:26:55 PM »

1- jackson browne- running on empty
2-avett brothers- the carpenter
3-bob dylan- tempest
4- kurt vile- b'lieve i'm goin down
5- gil scott heron & jamie xx- we're new here 
6- levon helm-  ramble at the ryman
7- why?- mumps, etc..
8- suzanne vega- close up volume one, love songs
9- neil young with crazy horse- americana
10- of montreal- innocence reaches
11- sleigh bells- jessica rabbit
12- lana del rey- ultraviolence
13- black angels- indigo meadow
14- kurt vile- smoke ring for my halo
15- devendra banhart- mala
16- ben harper & charlie musselwhite- get up
17- liars- tfcf
18- scissor sisters
19- rolling stones- their satanic majesties request

20- the roots- game theory- was listening to it and thought, do i actually like hip hop anymore?  the roots are one band i could never get into.  the latter half of the album convinced me that i do still like hip hop.  and the roots apparently
21- ty seagal- self titled- charlie's first slipup.  pretty terrible
23- black angels- clear lake forest ep- now this is better.  groovy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up