Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New TV Shows in 2018  (Read 734 times)

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
New TV Shows in 2018
« on: January 29, 2018, 02:07:52 PM »

"Grown-ish" = Shit-ish
Opulence. I has it.

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
Re: New TV Shows in 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 02:26:27 PM »

"Alone Together"= This is more forced than one of my shits after eating salted peanuts
Opulence. I has it.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 02:36:31 PM »

Have been slowly getting through THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL.  The first 5 episodes are good, but haven't compelled me to binge it or anything.

Watched 1 episode of THE CROWN, the very first one, and that'll be a "watch as C-Fan wants to" show for me, I am not hugely into the English royal mythos.

Watched 1 episode of DARK, I could see returning to that when I'm in the mood... but I better not wait too long or I will forget what happened in Episode 1.

Watched half an episode of MINDHUNTER, same as DARK... I could see enjoying it, but I wouldn't say it grabbed me even with the opening scene of the guy blowing his head off.

Watched an episode of ROTTEN, that was really interesting, but being in the food industry it would be moreso for me.  I will get back to that soon.  Food doc series, first one was about the Honey industry.  And why the bees are disappearing, and other dirty tricks that happen therein.  Pretty interesting stuff.

Watched 2 1/2 episodes of WORMWOOD, and it was just moving. so. slow.  I abandoned it.

Just added DIRTY MONEY, a new docu-series from the likes of Alex Gibney (GOING CLEAR)... basically an anti-capitalist series, sounds up my alley.  One of the episodes promises to be a long anti-Trump screed... I am really beyond my Trump-limit, so maybe I'll skip that one, who knows.  I already hate him, that's not going to help me.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 02:38:35 PM by Butter »

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 02:58:12 PM »

I made it through Mrs. Maisel.  It was okay, I don't know if I will watch season 2.  The issue I had with it was it whether it was supposed to be fun or more heavy.

If it is supposed to be more heavy, it's bad because there's just too many things that are not addressed.  For all the hardships, she's still unrealistically good/popular and has very few real problems.  A lot of things that would be dark are just glossed over.

If it's supposed to be more funny and we're not supposed to worry about the details, then it needs to have a lot more laughs and zaniness.

I also made it through Mindhunter.  It was good, just not that interesting to me I guess.  I don't know if I would have made it through if it hadn't been for one weekend where all I had was Netflix.  Despite all the murder stuff which you would think would be exciting, it actually kind of moves at a slow pace.  But the acting and story telling are good.  It kind of ended all weird which reduced my interest in the next season.  So I dunno.

I guess it's 50/50 on both of those as to whether I watch season 2.

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 03:04:44 PM »

"The Crown" is magnificent TV. Very sumptuous, not a penny/cent wasted in any shot.

"There's Johnny" is staying on my Hulu list for now. Episodes 1 & 2 were better than I imagined.
Opulence. I has it.

Butter

• City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 11:18:05 AM »

I got through all of DIRTY MONEY except the Trump episode, because I don't need to watch a 90 minute show to tell me what I already know about him.  It was pretty good all around, especially the one about Valeant Pharmaceuticals.  That was a great one about both the rising cost of medicine and the stock market.  The VW one and the one about the Instant Cash guy were also excellent.

I basically haven't gone back to any of the ones I talked about 2 months ago.

But I did finish WILD WILD COUNTRY last night, a 6 part docu-series about the Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh and his commune in Oregon in the early 80's.  It wasn't great, but the story is outstanding.  I was under 10 while all this went on, so I was oblivious.  It is a fascinating story, even if the filmmakers don't dig too deep during the talking head interviews.  They let everyone speak for themselves, and that ends a bit unsatisfactorily... but overall this is well worth your 6 1/2 hours.

If that doesn't get you, how about the worst deliberate mass poisoning in American history and an armed standoff that would've made Waco look like small potatoes (that almost happened, but didn't, or you would've heard about it).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 11:20:58 AM by Butter »

Butter

• City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 07:11:26 AM »

FLINT TOWN - Not the best docuseries I've ever seen, but certainly a series with a lot of interesting events and points of view that lets a lot of different sides have their say.  Ultimately, it's a show about the cops in Flint, a town with problems that you've probably heard about.  It does well to show the events of the past couple of years through some different lenses on the police force, and even the public.  It was not super-compelling but it was very interesting and definitely watchable.  And definitely some profound moments in there.

Butter

• City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 10:08:10 AM »

THE AMERICANS final season starts Wednesday.
LEGION Season 2 starts next Tuesday.
Fired up for both of these.  LEGION Season 1 was weird, wild, and surprisingly wonderful.  Not even so much about superheroes as a guy with superpowers who is absolutely f'ing untethered from reality.

THE TERROR, an AMC series about something to do with a ship in the freezing cold north is getting amazing reviews and started last night with 2 episodes out of 10.  I think this is a 1 season miniseries.  Have it set up to DVR.

FX has TRUST, the miniseries about J. Paul Getty and the kidnapping (that was featured in the recent movie ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD) starring Donald Sutherland and helmed by Danny Boyle firing up here shortly... Plan to DVR that and see what it's like.  I'm not 100% sold on watching it just yet but the promos seem promising.

ATLANTA Season 2 started a few weeks ago, and I'm saving those up for a bit.  Season 1 was so good... am wondering how this season digresses from that.

BARRY, the new HBO Series starring Bill Hader as a hitman who falls in love with acting started Sunday night... may let a few episodes accumulate before attacking it on HBO Now.

SILICON VALLEY Season 5 opener was Sunday night... it was good, but not great.  The series has followed that arc.  I love the ensemble so much, that I can forgive some story lags.  I think they are getting to where they need to be with the company storyline, while still remaining funny.  Zach Woods' Jared is one of the funniest characters on TV right now.

And the reboot of ROSEANNE is tonight.  I really liked Roseanne in its first iteration up until the last couple of seasons when I lost interest and totally missed on that crazy ending it supposedly had.  I could see catching up on this during the summer, but it is far from must-see for me at this point.

Chris

• Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 11:17:32 PM »

THE TERROR, an AMC series about something to do with a ship in the freezing cold north is getting amazing reviews and started last night with 2 episodes out of 10.  I think this is a 1 season miniseries.  Have it set up to DVR.

I'm surprised to actually be enjoying this for something that seems to be a cross between Downtown Abbey and The Thing, however it needs to start getting to the creepy stuff quicker than the first two episodes let on.
Back from hiatus.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 11:29:43 PM »

And the reboot of ROSEANNE is tonight.  I really liked Roseanne in its first iteration up until the last couple of seasons when I lost interest and totally missed on that crazy ending it supposedly had.  I could see catching up on this during the summer, but it is far from must-see for me at this point.
I read about the Roseanne reboot, and am really intrigued (apparently addressing head-on the Trump-era stuff. Apparently the season premier on Monday was a ratings buster, so much so that ABC will re-broadcast it on Sunday at 7. I plan on watching.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 04:05:33 PM »

I never liked the original Roseanne, even though I appreciated the the writing, and it had some great actors and actresses.

I kinda want to root for Roseanne Barr because she’s sort of bold, and for a sitcom the characters are not so one-dimensional and they tackle issues in a nuanced way.

On the other hand, Barr is a complete nut and does some many shitty things and then becomes a drama queen about it that I cannot wish her success.  Probably success would be the worst thing for her own personal life anyway.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 10:34:17 PM »

Finally watched the first 3 episodes of Instinct. It fills my gap of NYC murder mystery previously filled by Castle and Elementary (which is supposedly coming back at the end of the month).
also known as rcc94

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 08:58:55 AM »

Finally watched the first 3 episodes of Instinct. It fills my gap of NYC murder mystery previously filled by Castle and Elementary (which is supposedly coming back at the end of the month).
This show doesn't scratch either itch for us. I don't think there is any chemistry between the leads on this show, AT ALL. And Alan Cumming just seems to have been neutered for network TV. The tan face, the dyed hair. Ugh. LET ALAN BE ALAN! We have been watching it because it comes on after 60 MINUTES and we enjoy some old folks TV on our Sunday evenings. But, I don't think we'll keep watching this one. Bump up MADAM SECRETARY to 8PM, CBS!
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 07:13:28 PM »

has anyone been watching Schitt's Creek? It's actually pretty good.

Butter

• City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 12:13:43 PM »

REQUIEM on Netflix was a shortish good horror mystery.  Takes place largely in Wales.  It is pretty far over the top melodrama, but it is British so that helps.  It's about as subtle as a brick to the face, but much more enjoyable.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up