Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: New TV Shows in 2018  (Read 1443 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: New TV Shows in 2018
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2018, 01:50:32 PM »

I'm totally going to watch the new MAGNUM P.I. at least once.
1. Jay Hernandez = mrowr
2. I love to support anyone who was on HAPPY ENDINGS, even if Zachary Knighton's character was my least favorite.
3. I am getting old and I like Old Man TV.
4. Hawaii!
5. Sung Kang = Fast & Furious mrowr
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2018, 08:58:44 AM »

FOREVER on Amazon Prime.  It's not the best thing I've ever seen, but it's got Maya Rudolph and Catherine Keener and a tiny bit of Julia Ormond and it's a pretty good show.  They overcome Fred Armisen just fine, although he tries to be a boring passive-aggressive idiot but can't really pull it off because he's not much of an actor.  I don't want to say what it's about really, because that kind of ruins it.  I just saw it was a new show with Maya Rudolph and Fred Armisen and I was in because I figured it would cater to my sensibility.  I was mostly right.

If you don't like Maya Rudolph and Catherine Keener, then I really don't want to know you because they are god damn delightful.  Also, Episode 6.  Just watch it.  It's less than 4 hours and it's worth it.

BOJACK HORSEMAN Season 5: Yup, it's still good.  Maybe not as emotionally devastating as Season 4 (although one episode certainly is), but then again I'm only through episode 7.  Plus, David Sedaris guest stars in one episode, and if you can pick him out, you are a better person than I.

Plus, who doesn't like a show that has a line like: "Once again, my life has been worsened by a brush with musical theater!"

Also on my list coming up, aside from finishing off the brilliant 4th season of BETTER CALL SAUL, copied straight from my phone, because my memory sucks:

Finishing up BARRY from HBO, we're about halfway through the season on that... was really glad to see Henry Winkler win Best Supporting Actor for that, he is great.

SHARP OBJECTS
NORM MACDONALD HAS A SHOW (maybe?)
MANIAC
DARK TOURIST
LAST CHANCE U
THE DEUCE (never watched Season 1, it's time to catch up)
ATLANTA season 2
BASKETS (stopped around midway through Season 2)
THE STAIRCASE (got about halfway through this also, wasn't very compelling, but I still want to see how it ends)

I can say that approximately zero new network fall shows look good to me.  Though I will still make an effort to watch several ABC comedies like that one about the 80's, that one about the handicapped kid, that one about the Asians, and that one about the "fat" wife.  Although apparently we've moved a couple of these to Friday, so I guess I won't be watching those.

MURPHY BROWN returns.  I remember begging my mom to stay up past my 9 PM bedtime on Monday nights to watch this when I was in middle school.  I realize in retrospect that this show was terrible.  I also know I probably can't bear to watch a new sitcom about today's political climate.  PASS.

THE GOOD PLACE, definitely looking forward to Season 3, interesting how they have rebooted each season.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 09:01:01 AM by Butter »

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2018, 09:28:57 AM »

American Vandal, Season 2: extremely clever and creative (and also what c-lando said above), but it should also be pointed out that the the final episode was NOT what I was expecting. I won't spoil anything, but that final episode was something else.

Jack Ryan: I f-ing loved it. Fantastic.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2018, 05:03:44 PM »

BOJACK HORSEMAN Season 5: Yup, it's still good.  Maybe not as emotionally devastating as Season 4 (although one episode certainly is), but then again I'm only through episode 7.  Plus, David Sedaris guest stars in one episode, and if you can pick him out, you are a better person than I.

For a show that's reaching "best series ever" levels of critical acclaim it feels like it has a tenth of the viewership of Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad.

I didn't think Season 4 was that devastating compared to Seasons 2 and 3, but my sister disagrees.  I suppose maybe because the first few seasons were more about BoJack's personal angst which a middle-aged male could more relate to, whereas last season tackled broader societal topics, including a brutal take on historical gender views.

The critics are loving Season 5 so I guess I'm in the minority but for me the first flaws started to show.  It's not that any of the individual episodes are bad, just that it's becoming a little over-familiar and sloggy.  Just for little bits at a time.  If this were Season 2, it'd still be brilliant but at Season 5 I've just seen it before, and I already kind of know how things will go based on the story arc they use every season.

OTOH, I also felt like this was the funniest season for me.  I don't know if it's ACTUALLY funnier.  I think maybe because I was a little less emotionally involved in the main BoJack arc, and therefore paid more attention to all the one-liners and sight gags.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2018, 08:49:19 PM »

For a show that's reaching "best series ever" levels of critical acclaim it feels like it has a tenth of the viewership of Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad.

I didn't think Season 4 was that devastating compared to Seasons 2 and 3, but my sister disagrees.  I suppose maybe because the first few seasons were more about BoJack's personal angst which a middle-aged male could more relate to, whereas last season tackled broader societal topics, including a brutal take on historical gender views.

The critics are loving Season 5 so I guess I'm in the minority but for me the first flaws started to show.  It's not that any of the individual episodes are bad, just that it's becoming a little over-familiar and sloggy.  Just for little bits at a time.  If this were Season 2, it'd still be brilliant but at Season 5 I've just seen it before, and I already kind of know how things will go based on the story arc they use every season.

OTOH, I also felt like this was the funniest season for me.  I don't know if it's ACTUALLY funnier.  I think maybe because I was a little less emotionally involved in the main BoJack arc, and therefore paid more attention to all the one-liners and sight gags.

I'm with you. Through episode 7 there have been 4 gimmick/ bottle episodes.  Trying maybe a bit too hard.

But I've definitely laughed more this year than last.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2018, 09:22:45 AM »

Baskets is friggin' awesome.  Sadly, I think Butter is the only other person I know watching it.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2018, 09:27:38 AM »

THE DRAGON PRINCE! THE DRAGON PRINCE!!!!!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2018, 10:27:33 AM »

Never even heard of that. I take it you recommend.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2018, 11:41:52 AM »

Never even heard of that. I take it you recommend.
YOU ARE CORRECT! YOU ARE CORRECT!!!!!!!

Netflix.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2018, 05:54:17 PM »

“Manifest”
Nice idea, could be watchable if it weren’t so FUCKING HORRIBLY ACTED
Opulence. I has it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up