Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Cincinnati Reds 2018  (Read 7990 times)

daytime drinking

• City Elder
Re: Cincinnati Reds 2018
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2018, 01:26:08 PM »

i didn't mean to say they were good at it, just compared to their trades.  they always seem to find some decent backup catcher or utility man who can pinch hit 5-7 dingers.  it seems we've also done fairly well with your castoff pitching
poach eggs, not elephants

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2018, 02:27:44 PM »

oh man, hunter greene may need tj stat.  ole kremmies on the scene

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2018, 04:29:37 PM »

I think something is wrong with Mahle, too.

It would be better if Greene had TJ surgery.  Heís 19.  Heíll bounce back fast.  And if he doesnít, still plenty of time for him to try his luck as a hitter.

I hate the whole PRP injunction, ready, rehab cycle.  It almost never works and you just end up with pitchers losing another season before TJS so then they lose two straight seasons and they never get their career on track.

People are saying DeScalafani and Lorenzen didnít have surgery and came back.  Did they?  Neither pitcher has been all that good this year.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #123 on: August 06, 2018, 07:26:36 AM »

Sounds like they are going non-surgical with Greene.  Probably a mistake.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #124 on: August 06, 2018, 02:47:31 PM »

disco's been pitching better lately.  he hasn't even been pitching half the year.  same with lorenzen.  lorenzen hasn't looked terrible.  roughed up a bit lately but is bouncing back his becoming reliability.  i think he's still fairly young and disco isn't thirty yet.  if that means anything.  i'm not overly optimistic that greene is the ace we hope him to be.  the reds have never had a clayton kershaw or roger clemens or randy johnson or bob gibson or walter spahan.  i doubt there is a pitcher from the reds in the hall of fame.  maybe a lot of teams can say that.  not saying that greene is even capable of being that good.   he'd have a better chance elsewhere.  we can form a decent staff headlined with a true one, but he ain't gonna win ya any cy youngs.  has a reds pitcher ever won a cy young? 

that answer is no

https://www.sbnation.com/2012/9/28/3424630/the-long-list-of-cincinnati-reds-cy-young-award-winners

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2018, 04:39:26 PM »

You've won a few World Series' though. I'd trade you the two Kluber Cy Youngs plus the Sabathia and Cliff Lee Cy Youngs (in other words, all 4) for a World Series win.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2018, 05:00:31 PM »

deal.  i would also like vintage albert belle for cash considerations

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2018, 01:51:33 PM »

Fine, but we get to keep Joey Belle.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2018, 03:47:20 PM »

Whatever, idiots.  You guys can fight over Belle.  He's not even in my top fiveof 90-early 2000's era Indians I would want on my team.

1- Lofton, 2-Thome, 3-Alomar, 4-Manny, 5- Nagy.  Then maybe Belle and Vizquel.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2018, 11:44:15 PM »

that's crazy.  the indians had belle in his prime.  when he was in his prime he was a perennial mvp candidate and should have won it in '95 i think but freaking mo vaughn won.  what about c-bags, carlos baegra?  lofton definitely was the ideal lead off man and played a wicked centerfield so i could see the justification for him being numero uno.  once albert left thome and ramirez went off.  i can't believe they lost to the freakin marlins.  jose mesa also delivers.  although i played third base, i modeled my defense around omar vizquel even if i was chubby, had a weak arm and an inaccurate throw   

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2018, 03:01:01 PM »

Yeah, you can kind of understand how they could lose to prime Atlanta Braves where their pitching was nearly unhittable.  But losing to the Marlins in '97 hurt.

Those Indians teams were really good.  If they'd had the Yankees budget-- not even to sign free agents, but just so they could hold on to the players they had-- they probably could have won 2-3 WS.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #131 on: August 08, 2018, 04:03:53 PM »

You guys have no idea how influential those teams were to me, people of my generation, the city itself, and the entire franchise. They are still basically immortalized.

The '95 team was my favorite, although '97 Sandy Alomar was the pinnacle, and I did like having Robbie Alomar in the later years. Remember that in '95 Thome was third baseman, not first baseman! Paul Sorrento played 1B that year.

Random fact that's not important at all: The '95 Indians were so stacked that they had future General Manager Ruben Amaro Jr on their team. A future GM!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #132 on: August 08, 2018, 04:34:13 PM »

Yeah, that's why I would take Thome over Belle.  They had the same power.  Belle hit for a higher average.  But that's offset by the fact that Belle played corner OF shittily while Thome played a halfway decent 3B. 

I can never spell or say Paul Sorrento with one O, except for just now to make a point.  It's always Paul SorrentooooooooOOOOOOOoooo.

Back to Reds news.  Robert Stephenson still sucks.  I still think he's going to be good one of these days, but I think he's going to go down the Homer Bailey route.  It'll take him forever to finally figure it out, and by that time he'll have thrown like 800 innings already so, he'll have one good season before his arm falls apart. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #133 on: August 08, 2018, 06:07:57 PM »

Back to Reds news.  Robert Stephenson still sucks.  I still think he's going to be good one of these days, but I think he's going to go down the Homer Bailey route.  It'll take him forever to finally figure it out, and by that time he'll have thrown like 800 innings already so, he'll have one good season before his arm falls apart.
This is the eternal optimist in you. I can't see this ending well for Stephenson, I really can't. At least Homer did have some flashes of brilliance in the early years, not to mention 2 no-hitters.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #134 on: August 09, 2018, 01:14:49 PM »

I can never spell or say Paul Sorrento with one O, except for just now to make a point.  It's always Paul SorrentooooooooOOOOOOOoooo.

Remember when Chris Berman would make poor puns as middle names? Example: Joe "Murders in the Rue" Morgan.

One time he called him Paul "Cold Sore"rrento and he's been that to me ever since.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up