Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Cincinnati Reds 2018  (Read 12925 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Cincinnati Reds 2018
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2018, 10:47:04 PM »

There is not much the Reds can do this season.  But 2019 can be their equivalent of the Cubs/Astros 2011.  Sell everything you can.  What you canít sell, let them wind down their contracts.  Pick up every free agent you can get for cheap that needs a one year pillow deal.  If they play halfway decent, flip them.  Look towards 2023, not 2021.
that pretty much sums it up for me. But will the Reds actually do that? I have my doubts.

Meanwhile FC Cincinnati is attracting major crowds. How does that relate to the Reds? In many ways! (as I've mentioned in earlier posts). I love the Reds, but they have major, MAJOR issues to address.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2018, 01:36:21 AM »

Will fans pay $30 to see FC Cincinnati if they suck, though?

DC United used to have great attendance figures back when MLS started.  Itís a fantastic place for soccer, always has been.  Lots of Latinos, fairly international in general because of the city.  Lots of money and suburban soccer moms.  A lot of great players over the years have come from that area, both men and women.

But now the franchise is a joke and they are near the bottom of the league in attendance.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2018, 08:31:33 PM »

Will fans pay $30 to see FC Cincinnati
FTFY

When the current vibe at Nippert has been sucked out of the matches, thereís zero local rivalry and thereís really nothing to play for season after season after season, no. The MLS business -v- soccer model is horrible
Opulence. I has it.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2018, 11:11:15 AM »

if they keep up this pace going into the all star break do you still break the team up? 
poach eggs, not elephants

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2018, 11:27:06 AM »

Absolutely

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2018, 01:03:22 PM »

Gennett will be at peak value.  You basically have to trade him.  If you're going to trade him, might as put everyone else on the market bar maybe Suarez and Winker.

The better they play over the next month or so the more incentive there is to sell while prices are high.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2018, 05:31:47 PM »

Gennett will be at peak value.  You basically have to trade him.  If you're going to trade him, might as put everyone else on the market bar maybe Suarez and Winker.

The better they play over the next month or so the more incentive there is to sell while prices are high.

scoot knows the writing's on the wall.  one thing going for us in dealing him is his utilitarianism.  i assume his arm is strong enough to handle the rigors of outfield or third.   i'd throw in iglesias as well and build up garrett's workload.  if the team's competitive around the break, moving a few big, but replaceable pieces will mitigate the need to rebuild all over again.  before the season started going .500 was in my mind a step in the right direction.  suarez would be painful to part with

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2018, 11:45:45 PM »

But when will the "rebuilding" end? Moving Scooter (who is clearly playing above his "normal") makes sense, but it all depends what the Reds get in return, and I am not confident that they will get that, based on the last couple of years... <sigh>
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2018, 11:24:25 AM »

But when will the "rebuilding" end? Moving Scooter (who is clearly playing above his "normal") makes sense, but it all depends what the Reds get in return, and I am not confident that they will get that, based on the last couple of years... <sigh>

i dunno euro.  schebby schebb schebb and pereza aren't coming out of the lineup.  duvallstar certainly was a bargain, castillo struggles for like one inning.  disco's a proven arm if he can stay healthy (which you can't say about finnegan).  the only deal that kinda sux is what we got for i guess bruce, whoever was dealt for herrera.  i mean, hell, even matt harvey is playing well.  the worst deal might very well be the first one, cueto's haul

it's fun rooting for the them to win if they win enough 

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2018, 12:56:39 PM »

Frazier deal was kind of stupid.  They got Schleber and Peraza, which is pretty good value, tbf.  Judged solely on value it worked out pretty well.  But I don't know why the Reds wanted two moderate-ceiling average MLB-ready players instead prospects with higher upsides.

The Chapman trade was the worst deal by far.  Everyone they got sucks. It's not even one of those "Well, in retrospect those guys ended up not panning out" situations. Like when the trade was made, everyone instantly was like "Wow, everyone the Reds got sucks."  Everyone knew that was a horrible trade.  The Yankees really didn't even want or need Chapman.  They were bad that year.  And everyone knew except apparently the Reds that the Yankees didn't really need Chapman.  The only reason they did it was because the deal was so ridiculously lopsided the Yankees knew they could flip him for a big profit.  Which they did, to the Cubs, for Gleyber Torres.  Then they just signed Chapman when his contract expired.

Anyway, the Reds should trade anyone who is 1) Two or less years away from free agency, 2) 27 or over, 3) a pitcher, or 4) sucks.

So basically, keep Winker.  Peraza barely passes the "doesn't suck" test so they can keep him although I'd listen to offers.  Suarez barely passes the under 27 test.  I don't know.  Obviously you hate trading a guy like that but the Reds could get an absolute haul for him.  It would be kind of tempting if you had really strong faith in your GM and scouting.  Between Suarez, Castillo, and Gennett the Reds could have an insane 2015 Cubs like farm system.  That would be pretty exciting.  But since I don't know if the Reds have that great a player acquisition office, I think you have to hang on to Suarez.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2018, 01:26:12 PM »

It would be kind of tempting if you had really strong faith in your GM and scouting.

That's really the problem.  Although it seems like they hit on Senzel.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2018, 11:07:36 PM »

Completely random: I was at the FC Cincinnati game last Saturday with clients in one of those skyboxes at Nippert Stadium. Attendance was 27,000+. Later I checked what the attendance was at the Reds, who also played that night: 24,000+

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2018, 11:54:43 PM »

Completely random: I was at the FC Cincinnati game last Saturday with clients in one of those skyboxes at Nippert Stadium. Attendance was 27,000+. Later I checked what the attendance was at the Reds, who also played that night: 24,000+

Let's see if the FC Cincinnati fans still show up when they have to pay major league prices.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2018, 09:02:44 AM »

i seemed to have blocked the chapman trade from memory.  i can't believe the cubs had that guy also.  i think the plan was, it was, was it supposed to be funny?   

noonan

« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2018, 05:32:50 PM »

When the current vibe at Nippert has been sucked out of the matches, thereís zero local rivalry and thereís really nothing to play for season after season after season, no.
^^^^
THIS

Nippert is a joy. A soulless bowl downtown will not be.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up