Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cincinnati Reds 2018  (Read 112 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Cincinnati Reds 2018
« on: January 30, 2018, 10:37:54 PM »

Incredibly, Opening Day is less than 2 months away (March 29).

Today, they signed 37 yr. old reliever David Hernandez to a two-year contract. Hum....

I am trying to get optimistic about the upcoming season, but I'm struggling, to be honest.

Other than the Pirates having dismantled their team, is there any reason to think the Reds will finish 4th at best in the division?
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

daytime drinking

• City Elder
Re: Cincinnati Reds 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 08:32:43 AM »

i thought he was 32
poach eggs, not elephants

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 09:31:20 AM »

ESPN reported him being 37, and that the 2 year deal is worth $5 mill.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 10:33:01 AM »

Baseball Reference says he's 32, almost 33

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 12:28:49 PM »

i'm so shocked i was right. 

bold predictions for the year.  jesse winker bats leadoff around the all star break and the reds finish .500

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 01:40:09 PM »

Fangraphs has you down for a not-terrible-but-not-good 72-90 season.  Still last in the NL Central though.  5 games behind the Brewers, 6 games behind the Pirates, 16 games behind the Cards, and 20 games behind the Cubs.

Still a decent improvement over last year.  Especially when you consider they do not have big playing time projections for Winker, and they are conservative about projecting improvement for young players.  There's more upside than downside to that projection, but then again there usually is when the projection is bad.

Your batting and pitching are projected to be about equally as bad.  The big area for improvement is the pitching.  They think all of your starters suck bad except Castillo.  Everyone else has a 4.50+ projection, except for what looks like a not-horrendous 20 IP late-season cup of coffee for Cody Reed.

They don't really take into account actual division and schedule.  So if one or two teams in the Central suck worse than anticipated that will probably jack up the Reds record.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 01:50:09 PM »

i don't see the offense being a problem.  there is depth in talent and not enough room to give everyone who deserves it enough playing time.  nick senzel needs to be playing soon too.  pitching will be trial and error.  pittsburgh has got to suck

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 02:12:52 PM »

Well, looking at the offense they have Votto taking a big step down to a (still impressive) 4.5 WAR.  He's getting dragged down by "No one is THAT good" regression to the mean, that he won't play as many games, and probably on an aging model. 

So if your assumption is that Votto stays healthy all year, then you can add 1.5-2 games to the win column right there.

They also think your OF sucks horribly.  Which is tbf, is accurate if the OF is Schebler, Duvall, and Hamilton.  But if you replace one or two slots with a decent Winker and Ervin, that's probably another 2-3 games.

They also see Peraza as Hamilton-esque clone.  Better power and fewer steals, but basically still fast players with mediocre BA who don't draw walks.  I know you like Peraza so if you are right and they are wrong, that's maybe another game or two.

... and that would get the Reds to just about .500.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 12:05:40 AM »

... and that would get the Reds to just about .500.
woohoo, so excited <rolling eyes>

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 12:32:47 PM »

.500 would probably get price an extension.  it be heading in the right direction probably a year ahead of schedule.  the outfield is elite defensively, maybe  makes up for their lack of getting on base.  if mez is healthy, that's a potent latter part of the battery.  keep those boys fresh.  mez is gonna club twenty dingers and tuck gon' win a gold glove.  if pitching solidifies, woah brother

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 11:14:15 PM »

I dunno, man.  I feel like .500 would be the worst thing that could happen to Price.

I get the sense he just hangs on to his job because the Reds are like, “Screw it, we’re going to suck anyway.”  If they improve to .500, with good young players, that job will be more appealing and they can bring in someone better.

It’ll be like the Cubs with Rick Renteria.  Except Renteria ended up being so good it actually became awkward to fire him.  Whereas Price sucks. 

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 09:28:58 AM »

i think he's just now finally getting a fair shake.  he walked into a situation that was out of his control.  of course, he could just as well be terrible with a good roster as a shitty one.  now we can find out.  not sure how much difference it makes honestly. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 10:48:54 PM »

Catchers and pitchers are starting workouts tomorrow! Spring is around the corner! Yessssssssss

And Opening Day (moved up this year) is only 6 weeks away! Woohoo!

Pages: [1]   Go Up