Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Cincinnati Reds 2018  (Read 12315 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Cincinnati Reds 2018
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2018, 11:08:08 PM »

When the current vibe at Nippert has been sucked out of the matches, there’s zero local rivalry and there’s really nothing to play for season after season after season, no.
^^^^
THIS

Nippert is a joy. A soulless bowl downtown will not be.
I think you guys are vastly underestimating the resolve, emotional investment and ferve of FCC fans... but that's just me. Only time will tell.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2018, 01:08:52 PM »

isn't there an fcc thread? 
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2018, 02:07:50 PM »

I think you guys are vastly underestimating the resolve, emotional investment and ferve of FCC fans... but that's just me. Only time will tell.

I'm on your side on this.  I think Cincinnati can theoretically sustain a 21k crowd at an MLS stadium.  That's really only about MLS average. 

The reason the Reds are not drawing is because they suck and fans have sort of given up that anything is going to happen soon to change that.  When they were good, they drew 30k, now that they stink they draw 20k.  There's not that many teams where attendance does not suffer when the team is bad.  You just try to limit the number of bad years so you have fewer down cycles and also your down cycles are not that awful.  It's that soul-sinking knowledge that this team has sucked for 2-3 years and the management has no clue what they are doing so they will suck for at least 2-3 more years, and even then you still won't actually ever win a championship because the management will screw it up somehow. 

In a good year, I think they sell out that stadium just about every game.  In a bad year, I think they still draw 13-15k.  If they stink 5 years in a row and people give up hope, then they're in trouble but you could say the same thing about any franchise.

The problem with FC Cincinnati is not city, but that MLS sucks.  I don't believe MLS can support the number of teams it has in the league, and that there are too many way shitty teams like DC United that suck money out.  The internationalization of soccer works against MLS because now it's easier than ever to follow PL or even Bundesliga or La Liga.  And just really, no on in USSF has the slightest clue what they are doing, and they only see MLS and NWSL as drivers for the USMNT, which is where they make the real $$.  MLS is just a scrimmage league for USMNT players that will become increasingly unnecessary as the best US players will be playing overseas.

The team won't go down, but the league will.. and it will take the team down with it.

noonan

« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2018, 03:41:21 PM »

isn't there an fcc thread?
Of course there is. My bad.

I think the Reds had their shot and couldn't get over the hump in '10-'13 for a variety of reasons. Now they're stuck in rebuild no man's land playing a game that lasts 4 hours for people who have a 45 minute attention span. This recent run has been a lot of fun though.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2018, 02:08:02 PM »

was mostly talking to euro

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2018, 11:49:11 PM »

The internationalization of soccer works against MLS because now it's easier than ever to follow PL or even Bundesliga or La Liga.
Exactly the opposite in fact. So many people are watching those top leagues on TV that they want soccer in their cities. I see this time and again from the younger folks (say, my 31 yr. old son and his friends, and the same from my friends and their sons). I watched the England-Sweden game today at a friend's house, and his 27 yr. old son who was there knew more about the European leagues than I do, and he loves FCC

This discussion doesn't belong in the Reds threat, I know. I will create a separate FCC forum threat....
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2018, 09:23:00 AM »

billy's been playing helluva ball.  his batting average has risen like yeast in the past month.  he's by far the most exciting player in baseball.  if this is first half joey, i'll take it.  but man, he's fallen slugging is concerning.  in the course of a game, how much time does joey votto spend at first base?  i don't get to watch the games so i can't marvel at his technique.  i can listen to people marvel however.  i suppose i could watch a youtube video.  possible entitled zen & the art of joey votto because they think that's a clever title.  but there is some truth behind it

noonan

« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2018, 09:57:59 AM »

billy's been playing helluva ball.  his batting average has risen like yeast in the past month.  he's by far the most exciting player in baseball.

When he gets on he scores more than half the time. That's kinda mind boggling.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2018, 12:24:11 PM »

oh yeah.  he needs to fuck with pitchers more.  i mean, it's already enough without trickery.  but if i were billy hamilton's personal basepaths coach i'd only teach him how to get back to base as quick as possible.  i'd do all these hesitation quick long leadoffs where the pitcher is gonna have to throw over ten times an at bat.  i'd rather just trust my catcher with billy.  if you throw to first ten times an at bat, you might make that unnecessary throw which gives him possibly third.  and then you gotta worry if he's gonna try and steal home!  as a courtesy to the opposing team, just allow billy to start at second base.  catcher's got a fighting chance with him at third.  they do a great job at not allowing him on first base to begin with though

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2018, 01:48:38 PM »

Billy Hamilton sucks.

I expect Votto will show some more power the second half of the season, but I also think this season he is finally starting to show the early signs of slow decline.  He's still pretty awesome, though.  And I think he remain awesome to good for the next coupe years.  I doubt he makes it to 2024 but then, everyone knew that when he signed.  That's still going to wind up a great contract for the Reds.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2018, 12:00:33 AM »

By complete coincidence, I saw the tail end of the CIN-CLE game tonight. The Reds were shut out in the first 8 innings (down 4-0), and the CLE brought in their reliable closer, who promptly gave up run after run. CIN scored 7 (yes, 7!) runs in the top of the 9th, and win 7-4. Wow, just wow.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2018, 07:33:32 AM »

Even worse was it was still 4-0 with 2 outs and runners on base, but they could not get that final out.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2018, 01:20:46 PM »

Cleveland's bullpen this year is horrific. Cody Allen is the best closer we've ever had (statistically) but he's still having a down year. And there's no one else at all. NO ONE.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2018, 02:08:03 PM »

Yeah, but the pen is the easiest thing to fix. 

Cody Allen is an okay closer.  He has one fatal weakness which is he is a flyball pitcher who is also prone to throwing some fat pitches leading to the occasional gopher ball.  That means he's going to blow some saves.  But other than that, he strikes a lot of guys out and doesn't give up walks.  He has only blown one save all year, so in general there's not too much to worry about there.  Just hope you don't have a one run lead in the bottom of the ninth in the seventh game of the WS.

It's the guys leading up to the ninth that are awful.  And the good news there is that they are so incredibly bad it's almost impossible not to improve.  You could pick up 4 guys off the waiver wire and do better.  But the Indians won't have to do that because there will be a bunch of teams selling at the deadline and middle relievers are cheap.  The Padres alone have three or four solid relievers they probably will be happy to deal.

Plus the  rotation is great, so the relievers don't have that big a workload.  And when you get to the playoffs you only need three starters so Carrasco can move to the pen.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 03:23:36 PM by Zafer Kaya »

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2018, 03:06:36 PM »

Wow, you think Carrasco goes to the pen? I haven't looked lately, but he was my #2. The Tribe have 4 awesome starters, so that's nice, and Shane Beiber seems promising for #5. Plus whatever happened to Tomlin. And if Salazar ever comes back.

But I digress.

What I want to point out is that the Tribe have very little to give up for those relievers. I know they are cheap, and I'm expecting someone in the next month, but I really want more than they can afford.

Separately, I heard a rumor (I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy) that from the inside of the front office, they all know that they will win the AL Central but cannot beat the Yankees, Astros, or Red Sox, so then it's like, "what are we doing?" Also, I heard they are looking for a 3B, which I find...interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up