Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Cincinnati Reds 2018  (Read 12322 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: Cincinnati Reds 2018
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2018, 03:39:47 PM »

I think Carrasco has pitching style that is best suited for relief.  But I mean yeah, it could theoretically be any two of the rotation except Kluber who is 1) way too awesome to be wasted in relief and 2) is probably not well-suited for that role with his array of junkballs.

Bieber would be an interesting pitcher to use.  Let him start through August, and then move him to the pen.  See how it goes.  It'll keep his innings down, preserving him for use in the playoffs in some capacity and not blowing out his arm for next year. 

Cleveland's prospects aren't that bad.  They have enough to get some relievers.  They would be idiots to trade Meija or McKenzie but they don't need a superstar reliever anyway.  Just basic competency, and it shouldn't take more than a decent upper level B prospect.  Maybe even less if it's just a half season rental.

Why in the crap would Cleveland want a 3B when they have the second best player in baseball playing there?  And by second best I really mean "best" because Trout is so good he doesn't even count.  In a normal year, Ramirez is the AL MVP.  Didn't I just get through explaining this?  Mike Chernoff, are you listening?  Unless maybe they want to slide Ramirez over to second and think third base will be easier to fill in a trade than second, in which case maybe it makes sense.  I dunno, Kipnis isn't like super-awesome or anything and he's getting old but he's still a decent defender and I think his hitting will bounce back some.  I mean, he's not really what you'd hope for but he's not the position of greatest need either.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 03:44:55 PM by Zafer Kaya »

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2018, 11:43:40 AM »

Yeah, like you said, the only explanations I can see are:
1) They want to move on from Kipnis, and move JRam to 2B since he's actually better at 2B than 3B.
2) They were shopping for a backup 3B?

Seriously, that's all I have. I don't understand it either. I didn't think of your point about "it's easier to get a 3B in a trade." Is it? I don't know.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2018, 10:34:14 PM »

cleveland's got some dude whom would get them machado supposedly.  that offense would be ridiculous.  swing for the fences cleveland!  i'm starting to like the indians again after a twenty year hiatus when i was solely an albert belle fan and the rest by proxy.  but if you'd like amir garrett, scooter, and iglesias for this guy....  is that a bad deal? 
poach eggs, not elephants

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2018, 05:30:28 PM »

Like ZK said, I think their top two prospects are Francisco Mejia and Triston McKenzie.

Mejia is a catcher who's been up-and-down between AAA and the big league club, and is a rookie (he was also called up last September). The Indians' two main catchers, Yan Gomes and Roberto Perez, aren't really good enough. Offensively they struggle although they are significantly better at handling the pitching staff than Mejia would be. Gomes had a really good year in 2015 (or was it 2014?) and got a contract out of it. Perez has pretty much always been a backup. So it'd be tough to give up Mejia unless they were getting a catcher back, too.

Triston McKenzie is a 20 year old pitcher who is currently at AA. I don't know much about him other than he was a first round draft pick in 2015.

I don't know who you're thinking of trading for Machado, but I'd love to have him (who wouldn't?). I don't know if he'd slide to 3B, though. I heard early in the season that he wanted to play SS. I also heard that Machado is something like the worst defensive SS in baseball, so that wouldn't fly in Cleveland to move Lindor out of SS for space for Machado.

Thus, while the bat would help, I don't know how Cleveland gets Machado.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2018, 05:31:56 PM »

Although, maybe you're right?

This article seems to disagree with me and agree with you, DD.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24078371/manny-machado-top-12-landing-spots-mlb-next-big-thing

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2018, 11:08:19 AM »

Looks like someone's getting him.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24119742/baltimore-orioles-deal-place-manny-machado-working-specifics-trade

They are speculating Dodgers, Brewers, Phillies, and Diamondbacks.

I wouldn't really want my team to give up a ton for a 3 month rental. The point that the Indians' window is closing is very true but I still don't think you bet the farm on one guy being the difference.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2018, 11:36:39 AM »

I'm a believer of the "playoffs are a crapshoot" philosophy.  It's worth it to be a buyer if it gets you into the playoffs, but after that it's mostly luck.  I mean, you can and should make modest deals to plug gaps in the team but it's not worth it to try and be #1.

I don't see the Indians not making the playoffs.  I also don't see them being as good as a couple other teams even with Machado.  So they are right not to make a big move.  Especially at a position that isn't the highest priority.  Just trust in the luck factor.  Gets some MR and hope your rotation gets on a roll at the right time.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2018, 03:39:37 PM »

They're not going to trade Gennett, are they?

Are they even going to try and trade Harvey?   

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2018, 05:02:25 PM »

Agreed. The Indians will should make the playoffs. After that...I want some relievers so when Bauer or Kluber get us a 2-1 lead into the 7th and 8th we can actually win the games.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2018, 08:57:26 PM »

They're not going to trade Gennett, are they?

Are they even going to try and trade Harvey?

of course not

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2018, 10:52:50 PM »

They may trade Harvey.

The bigger question is what to do with Scooter... Give him a big contract extension? Trade him? I have no idea. I am not an expert. I just want the Reds to get better and better. I'm tired of losing.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2018, 11:54:15 PM »

Re-signing him would be truly stupid. 

Trading him is the right choice by far.  But letting him run out his contract is at least not too damaging.  More like an opportunity missed.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2018, 12:48:08 PM »

castellini and the wrecking crew are trying to make amends with the fans for trading todd frazier.  my rigga see his future flash before his eyes and demotes himself to third base coach.  what are the chances scoot maintains this level of play?  i really don't want to find out.  but, if he's willing to play outfield once senzel comes up, it shouldn't be hard to match the output of a schebler hamilton or duvall.  it might be time to start building the team that could very well contend in the near future.  someone has got to offer the reds something too good to pass up.  they actually don't, but we may not get back what his potential might be worth.  we'll probably get low balled cuzza fear of him slipping and then it would make good sense to extend him.  well i think at least

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2018, 02:51:11 PM »

It would not be difficult to match the output of the Reds current marginal starting OF's.  Which is exactly why you don't need to hand a guy a big contract to do it.

You have him at a cheap price until he is 30, which is all that any team should want him for.  The only reason to trade him is because you don't think you can win with him.  In that case, it doesn't matter if he is Mike Trout.  His value to you as a player on your team is less than his value would be on a contending team needing an IF, and the value of the prospects you get back in return is greater to you than their value on a win-now team.  So you trade. 

If you think you can win something in the next two years, or you are of the opinion that finishing .500 is much better than finishing .425 then your best value is to have peak Gennett as cheaply as possible and spend money to improve the team elsewhere.

Extending the dude makes no sense at all.  You're reducing your odds in the short term by increasing his salary, and you're reducing your odds in the long term by paying this guy money in his 30's when he will probably suck.  Even if he doesn't fade that much, you would still be reducing his value tremendously just by playing him in the outfield.  Most likely, he fades AND gets moved.  So in two years you will be paying much more to have a crappier Gennett play a crappier position than you are right now paying a peak Gennett to play a valuable position.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2018, 02:54:50 PM »

ahh, i forgot we had control of his contract that long.  but yeah, i'll be a bit bummed but root for him if we retain him
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up