Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cincinnati Reds 2018  (Read 8001 times)

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
Re: Cincinnati Reds 2018
« Reply #135 on: August 09, 2018, 01:26:49 PM »

It's been a while since I thought about how obnoxious Chris Berman is.  Thanks for the reminder, Dan.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #136 on: August 09, 2018, 02:22:58 PM »

those early days were wild.  bob ley said berman was railing the help on some desk behind him while he was trying to work
poach eggs, not elephants

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2018, 11:24:56 PM »

After tonight, the Reds have 4 home games left... Tonight from my office on 3rd street overlooking the Reds stadium, there was absolutely nothing happening (I was still in the office when the game started at 6:40). I mean, there couldn't have been more than a couple of thousand people?

Looking at the bigger picture, are the Reds giving us hope for anything better? In the last 4 years, they have posted 64, 68, 68 and 66 wins (with 4 more games to go). Meanwhile Milwaukee (another "small market" team) has picked itself up to be in contention for the division title. Does anyone see anything that makes us think that next year the Reds will be any better? I don't see it. We've had numerous discussions about the pipeline in the minors but that has been going on for YEARS. It's all just talk and speculation.

It's just dispiriting to me. I really WANT to support the Reds, but they seemingly have no clear plan. No wonder then that attendance has plummeted (less than 20,000 and that's counting tickets sold, not real attendance).

Just sad. And the fact that FC Cincinnati (a direct competitor now for Reds fans) is doing so well only aggravates the Reds' problems.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2018, 10:37:26 PM »

i was pretty shocked to find that they finished with a worse record than last season.  seemed like a better ball club.  we just need either better pitching or more reliable pitching, and joey dingers or at least joey .300.  (which is also the name of his smooth jazz band in toronto).  we oughta trade senzel maybe for a young ace.  he's a luxury.  trade or release billy.  let phil erv take over.  winker and schebbs at the corners.  and luis severino is your opening day starter.  if the holdovers from the staff just seem to solid, let bob steve and homer man the pen.  here's my prediction with how the starting five

castillo
disco
mahle
lorenzen
finnegan

i really like sal romano and i'm sure he'll get plenty of opportunities as finny and disco will have injury bouts

this is the best offensive club the cities' seen in a long time, including all those playoff years.  the team is clearly committed to scooter.  most likely because they don't have a choice.  he's too good to just give away.  he just keeps on proving that you have to play him.  they'll never get better at trading people at the right time.  unfortunately

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2018, 10:42:55 PM »

Just to reinforce the point, the Reds' win totals in the last 4 years:

2015: 64
2016: 68
2017: 68
2018: 67

Does that sound like a club going the right direction? Meanwhile the Brewers won the division title this year.

Jim Riggleman isn't the problem, the front office is. Get us better talent.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #140 on: October 03, 2018, 02:34:12 PM »

girardi, david bell, and brad ausmus being interviewed.  girardi would be interesting.  i wonder if he stills likes baseball?

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2018, 11:11:14 PM »

I am less interested in seeing who the next manager will be, I mean, no manager can do better than the players he has.

What I want to see is what the front office is doing after years in the wilderness. And there I see no plan, so I see no hope that the Reds will be better next year.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2018, 02:08:15 PM »

so los rojos get brewer's pitching coach and the dodgers hitting coach.  with those moves finalized, next will be adding dallas keuchel and nathan eovaldi.  more of my predictions include homer bailey being long relief whenever one of those perpetual rooks looks shaky.  he'll be a season long spot starter or just until disco or finny goes out for the year.  and people said 90 wins was out of reach

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #143 on: November 07, 2018, 03:59:29 PM »

so los rojos get brewer's pitching coach and the dodgers hitting coach.
The Reds were already hitting well. That's not the issue.

Now pitching... another matter altogether. And what is this latest greatest pitching coach going to do with a bunch of mediocre (at best) pitchers? Turn them into Kershaws? Don't think so.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2018, 10:02:00 AM »

how bout dat?  not sure who plays center.  i figured winker would but puig's got a cannon.  simply awesome.  rotation almost set

castillo
wood
disco
roark
mahle

but that won't matter when you're scoring ten runs a game.  still hate the cards got goldy.  that's so cards

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2018, 01:58:04 PM »

Yeah, interesting deal.

I still think the Reds should be rebuilding, and this deal moves them in the opposite direction.  So it is easy at firstly blush to just slam this trade.

But OTOH, they aren't taking on any long term obligations.  I think Puig is a bit of a headcase who might blow up in the Reds' face. But I meN, you have to take a bit of a risk.  If Puig weren't who he is, there's no way he'd be abailable.

The Puig risk us offset by Kemp, who I think is a pretty cool guy.  Unfgirtinstely, I think the tank is empty.  But I think he us still an asset.  He's no MVP, but could still be a monster 4th OF/bench bat.

Wood is a great pitcher if he can stay healthy which I seriously doubt he will.  But I'm not going to fing the Reds fir that.  If he could pitch 200 IP reliably with a 3-ish ERS, he wouldn't be on the market

On paper,this team looks competitive if you assume health and repeat performances of last year.  Not favorites, but possibly righting therw.  The problem is there is a ton more downside from that baseline than there is upside.

It is a good trade if you want to take a stab at winning.  If it does not work, you just set back your rebuild one year.  Maybe not even, if they can flip some of those players if they are out of it.  And maybe some if the young players benefit from veteran presence.  They did not blow up the farm system, just dinged it a bit.

I would be grudgingly okay with this trade if I were a Reds fan.  I'd prefer them rebuild, but if they do not want to do that this is the next best thing.

That offense will not be quite as good as you think it is, though. Sure, they will put some points on the board in that park, but so will their opponents. 

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2018, 08:43:12 AM »

they're still not done they say.  people are worried about losing winker.  maybe we get kluber or jt realmuto

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2018, 10:14:14 AM »

Trading Winker would be colossally stupid.  Honestly, they should trade Gennett and plug Senzel in there if he can play the position.  Ithink at this point you just bring in another #3 or #4 starter type.  Castillo could take that step up and become an ace.  But even if he doesn’t Castillo and Wood is a decent 1 and 2.  Bring in one more semi-decent arm and the rotation will be pretty solid, if not great and lacking a shutdown guy.

Unfortunately, they play in the best division in baseball so the best they can do is give themselves an outside chance.  But just being competitive will probably be a big boost for the fanbase and probably the players.  The FO does need to demonstrate they care.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #148 on: December 24, 2018, 08:40:02 AM »

if none of the pitchers they've developed pan out into a above average starter then i'm more than ready to move on from the front office.  they have to be the shallowest minds in all of baseball.  the only logical conclusion anyone can draw is that only cared about fan's dollars.  they didn't dare try to compete.  no one can be so stupid to hold onto these players that long.  who fuckin cares if they trade a fan favorite.   tis an unfortunate reality for this nostalgic buff that it was a mistake for joey votto to be allowed to finish his career a red.  the cardinals have one of the most tradition rich franchises.  icons.  and they, sigh, smartly let pooholes walk.  not that i minded that, it's just i miss the good ole days of baseball
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up