Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang  (Read 2277 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 08:07:43 PM »

True fact:  The Method Grab got its name because when they had skateboard air competitions, they would measure to the bottom of your feet/board.  So a guy named Christian Blender decided that arching your back and lifting your feet and board was the “best method” of scoring higher points.  You could get extra measured height without actually going any higher.   Kind of like the Fosberry flop in high jump.  Only they didn’t call it the Blender Grab. 

The Method Grab did not get its name for being the best method to win snow cross, though.  They should just call it the Jacobellis Grab.  She earned it.  I bet she would consider that a cooler honor than a gold medal anyway.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 09:35:40 PM »

I don't know what to make of that Nathan Chen performance.  Yeah, it had 500 quadruples that was the most in Olympic history and all that.  But he does that all the time. 

It's insane how much better he is than everyone else.  And yet still managed to not even medal.  It's kind of hard to see that as anything other than a historic choke job.  Like, you have to be incredibly awesome just to be able to choke that hard.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 01:29:01 PM »

Bummer for Jacobellis.
Bummer for Chen. But as ZK points out, he's crazy good. And if he's that crazy good, he shouldn't have been that far behind!

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 03:44:52 PM »

If you can find the BBC telecast, the BBC announcers call of that is awesome.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 11:04:24 PM »

i have yet to decide if i loathe or love what she did.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 11:18:49 PM »

I was talking to my co-worker about figure skating today.  I was saying that if I fell horrendously way early on my routine and knew I was out of it, I would just be like screw it and leave the ice.  Or just skate around and do fun stuff.  She was highly critical and said I was not a competitor.

But then we were talking about the pairs where the woman's top came undone, and she was like "Oh, I would have stopped."  I wouldn't have.  If in some weird hypothetical situation my pants fell apart completely and I had to skate my routine with my ass and dong out, I totally would.  You don't lose points for skating naked so you're still totally in it. Why would you give up for no reason?

I mean, don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying it would be easy.  I think it would probably be a  major distraction, and cause me to mess up.  And then I would leave the ice.  But I'm just saying, I'd still be trying as long as I have shot.  I wouldn't just stop because of a wardrobe malfunction.

Doesn't that make me a better competitor that I won't give up when I have a chance to win in an unusual and potentially embarrassing circumstance, but I don't really care about a fairly routine event that takes me out of the competition?

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 11:23:14 PM »

i have yet to decide if i loathe or love what she did.

I was indifferent to the performance itself.  It's silly, but I mean, she legitimately qualified under the rules.  She's not messing anyone else up.

I thought it was lame that once she was in the Olympics, she could have gone for it.  I realize whatever she did was going to be simple and lame because she can't actually freestyle ski.  But I mean, at least TRY the coolest trick you know.  It's not like you have anything to lose.

I thought it was super lame when she was like "I'm just out there trying to inspire people to get into freestyle skiing."  No you're not.  You're just trying to be in the Olympics.  That's what made me hate her. 

If she'd said "Hey, I know I suck.  I just think the Olympics are really cool, and I wanted to be here and compete anyway I can" I would have been okay with it all.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:28:04 PM by Zafer Kaya »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up