Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang  (Read 2122 times)

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang
« on: February 11, 2018, 08:16:29 PM »

Thought I'd give the Olympics their own thread. As I no longer have cable, I'm limited to NBC and online coverage.

I've lucked out and managed to see the coverage of the first 2 United States medalists. Also got to see some of the men's 10k biathlon this afternoon. I just love the combination of skiing and shooting.
also known as rcc94

euro60

• City Elder
Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 11:11:11 PM »

I'm watching here and there. Don't care at all for the figure skating, and instead am watching stuff like curling and the like... just for the heck of it

I have Spectrum, and am a bit surprised the Olympics are showing on only 3 channels (NBC, NBCsports, the Olympic channel), given so many events are happening.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 10:16:22 AM »

Are there a lot of events going on though?

I looked it up for yesterday, primetime, trying to figure out what NBC could cover. 

Yesterday evening (Monday morning in PyeongChang), there was:

Women's Super G - POSTPONED
Mixed Doubles Curling Semifinal - CAN v. NOR
Figure Skating Team Event which was covered basically in its entirety by NBC
Women's and Men's Skeleton training only
Ladies' Snowboarding Slopestyle, which was shortened from 3 runs to 2 due to weather, and was postponed from its initial start time of 8 PM Eastern.

Then, overnight (from about 1 AM - 8 AM), there was:
Biathlon - Women's 10km pursuit
Biathlon - Men's 12.5km pursuit
The other Mixed Doubles Curling semifinal - OAR v. SUI
Freestyle Skiing - Men's Moguls
Ice Hockey - 2 Group B games
Luge - Women's Singles Runs 1 & 2
Nordic Combined - 10k / Normal Hill training only
Ski Jumping - Women's Normal Hill
Speed Skating - Ladies' 1500m

Most of the action is going on overnight, and almost all of it is being covered in part or in whole on NBCSN, with the hockey games generally airing on USA Network. 

There are only about 1/3 as many events in the Winter as in the Summer.

I found that last night even if I wanted to watch something else through the NBC app (which is quite extensive in its coverage, and broadcasts all of the Olympic feeds of events from start to finish), there was nothing going on besides Figure Skating.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 11:07:34 AM »

NBC always has some misses in coverage.  It's all supply and demand.  Figure Skating is far more popular than most of the other sports in the winter games, and swimming (which has overtaken gymnastics) is more popular in the summer games.  So that's what they show the most and other stuff loses out.  We tend to tape whatever coverage NBC has on it's main broadcast and that tends to be more than we can watch.  I suppose we miss stuff that way, but there are only so many hours in the day, and only so much space on the DVR.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 03:39:41 PM »

I wish they would take the Olympics away from NBC so I wouldn't have to hear that stupid Olympic mash-up theme anymore.  Either use Bugler's Anthem or use Olympic Fanfare.  Either one is a fine choice.  But pick ONE.  Don't just tack one onto the other.  It sounds like ass.

It's not even a real Olympics theme.  It's just something NBC and ABC before them decided to play.  I bet people in other countries get really cool songs.  Maybe a different one for every Olympics. 

Either everyone gets their own new songs every year, or the entire world gets together and decides that World in Motion is the official anthem for every international sporting event every where at all times.  Just have different bands play it as long except everyone has to the John Barnes' rap verse, and leave it untouched.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 10:47:05 PM »

Shawn White wins gold again! Are you kiddin' me? He's a senior for that sport (he's 31 now) Good for him!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 12:54:32 PM »

The comments from one of the reddit threads truly amused me:

[]LoveOfTurkey 11.7k points 14 hours ago
Grabbing the chicken salad on the switch mcflip. That mans a national treasure

--------------

[]justafigment4you 3908 points 14 hours ago
This guy snowboards.

Or bullshits.

--------------

[]Ace_of_Clubs 538 points 13 hours ago
Honestly, the announcer could have said literally anything and I would have believe that's what the move was called.

--------------

[]Jackie_McMackie 499 points 12 hours ago
he totally sawed the wood there, pulverized the milkshake, then immelmanned the rotor into a 1999 and took it all the way to a full kitchen renovation. truly a legend

linky: https://www.reddit.com/r/sports/comments/7xf1oq/shaun_white_9775_gold_metal_run/

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 01:32:33 PM »

I read that moments before coming on here to see it again. 

Was amazed to find out "Grabbing the chicken salad on the switch mcflip" is actual terminology.

My personal favorite is hearing "fakey to fakey".  They could say fakey 47 times during a dude's run and I would be amused every time.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 02:41:05 PM »

From what I've read, that Red Gerard kid sounds like another Tony Hawk/Shaun White.  Good for snowboarding as a sport, maybe not so good for snowboarding as a culture.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 09:11:53 PM »

Jesus Christ, Tara Lipinski.  If one person in pairs screws up, they both lose the points.  I get it.  No, I dont think its unfair and also dont ever ask me to be on your team for anything. 

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 11:46:24 PM »

Talk about perseverance - 5 Olympics to finally get gold in Pairs Figure skating. It was a beautiful routine.

And apparently the US vs Canada women's hockey game is really intense.
also known as rcc94

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 01:36:08 PM »

US Men's hockey went from being my favorite winter event to something I don't even care about.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 09:43:26 PM »

Can't believe the snowboarder who broke his neck (horrific to see) got up and finished his race. 
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 12:37:27 PM »

I can't help rooting for Lindsey Jacobellis. She's never in my life and I never think of her, and then I see one glimpse of Snowboard Cross and I'm all like, "yeah, Lindsey! You can do this! Win the gold!"

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 01:54:08 PM »

Spoiler alert: She couldn't do this.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up