Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coming to Louisville  (Read 477 times)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Coming to Louisville
« on: March 12, 2018, 02:07:29 PM »

Suuns play Zanzabar in Louisville on Friday, June 1.

Can anyone who has been to Zanzabar give me an idea of what it is like?
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Coming to Louisville
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 03:56:25 PM »

I've been to Zanzabar a few times back in the day (I'm talking 10-15 years ago). If it's still as it was then, it's basically a bar with a small stage. If it's not too crowded, it's not a bad way to see a gig.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Chris

• Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 09:23:53 PM »

I've been to Zanzabar a few times back in the day (I'm talking 10-15 years ago). If it's still as it was then, it's basically a bar with a small stage. If it's not too crowded, it's not a bad way to see a gig.

Yep, pretty much. I've only gone there to play pinball mostly (it's got a barcade vibe now) and have a few with friends when in town, but small is the operative word.

Very nice little place though. You can do a Google Maps virtual tour of it on their site: http://www.zanzabarlouisville.com/ (click on the Tour button)

It's biggest drawback is that it's in the middle or a residential area with no place to park. When I've gone, it was early in the evening when no bands were playing. Your mileage may vary.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 09:36:42 PM by Chris »
Back from hiatus.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 10:54:35 AM »

Thanks Chris, that is very helpful.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 11:29:49 PM »

They've expended the back room . . . It's like a big Northside Tavern backroom . . . and pinball instead of pool tables. The food's pretty good, but not many places to eat it.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 10:43:02 PM »

saw the smashing pumpkins over the weekend. metric opened with a tight set.

despite poor ticket sales, SP played for THREE HOURS. 31 songs. 3 covers (space oddity (not bad), landslide (ok), and stairway to heaven (not interesting))

billy is even more self absorbed than ever, which was reflected in some of the projected visuals. some of those were clunky and silly.....others were very nicely done. it seemed like at least 3 distinct artists contributed to this part of the show with various degrees of success.

but all in all, it was still a damn good show, so many killer songs.
jimmy is still an excellent drummer and james iha.......with those power chords can still tear your ass asunder.

oh, and it was at the HORRIBLY NAMED KFC yum! center.
bongo hard or bongo home

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 11:07:49 PM »

If they had made it to Cincinnati, I'd might've checked it out. And Metric is of course a major plus.

So how well attended was the Louisville show? Just curious.

BTW I saw SP in their prime in Louisville back in 1996 (when they were touring in support of "Mellon Collie"), with Garbage opening. Now that was a show!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 11:15:27 PM by euro60 »
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 12:14:38 AM »

i think ticket sales may have been a little humbling for them.
when my crew got there we were told to exchange our tickets (upgrade) because they were closing off as whole tier.........definitely spotty attendance.

i think the venue options in louisville didn't help. i had read that there needs to be an option between 2,000 and 20,000 for these kind of acts.......
bongo hard or bongo home
Pages: [1]   Go Up