Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: beer in '18  (Read 620 times)

daytime drinking

• City Elder
beer in '18
« on: March 29, 2018, 12:13:29 PM »

wife and i went cabining in west virginia's new river gorge.  stopped for post hike beers at pies n pints in fayetteville (a cool coal town).  if we felt like having pizza, that was available for us to eat but i had browned a bunch of ground beef the night before.  i had some citrus ipa from pakersburg, dub v and wife had a candied stout from ommegang (which is one brewery i really would like to visit).  her beer was great and i drank almost all of it.  i thought my beer was pretty good.  at the cabin i had a three pack of pabst american pale ale.  it was wonderful
poach eggs, not elephants

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: beer in '18
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 02:38:04 PM »

ommegang (which is one brewery i really would like to visit). 

Been there. It was lovely. We purchased over $150 worth of beer, too, for take home. It took us 6 months to go through it all, as we wanted to save and savor it.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 05:25:43 PM »

I *still* don't get the whole brewery thing.

I suppose I technically sometimes go to breweries.  But only in the "I'm just going to run in and try to get a growler or six pack of whatever they have, on account of they refuse to sell it anywhere else to create artificial scarcity."  sense.

But like, going there to stay and drink or to tour the facility and pick up slack... why?  It's not like you are even really drinking.  You're "tasting."  Just pour me a real-ass beer.  Just one.  Make it good or I don't come back.  None of this flight shit where one out of four might be good but you only get one swallow and if they all suck well too bad you'll just have to come back and waste more time won't you?

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 05:59:35 PM »

I'm with you, mostly. But not completely.

Tours - almost always boring and not interesting.
Artificial scarcity - annoying and frustrating.

But....
Sometimes the beer does seem to taste a little better when it's fresh from their vats.
Sometimes (Ommegang and Great Lakes Brewery in particular) the food and the atmosphere are quite lovely and enjoyable, so it ends up being more like being in a nice tavern or pub than in a brewery.
And, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the flights. I really enjoy getting to try 6 or 8 different flavors without having to drink 6 or 8 pints. I'd be so wasted I wouldn't remember any of them. But with a flight I can try them all out and really determine which ones I like. Heartland Brewery here in NYC has flights and the options are wonderful. It's about the quantity of 2 or 2.5 beers in total, but I get to enjoy so many options.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 12:22:24 PM »

if ommegang wasn't in cooperstown, i'd have less interest in it.  i love breweries.  always a safe bet in any town.  because sometimes dive bars don't want you to find them.  instead of flights i just sit at the bar and have the bartender pour me a couple samples.  it's come to my attention that this is obnoxious behavior.  i try not to stretch their hospitality though it occurs to me that i don't tell them any more than if someone pulled me a pabst

i don't get crazy about breweries or beer like i used to, but there are some granddads on there that are iconic.  i've been lucky enough to visit deschutes, rogue, sierra nevada.  ommegang and troegs are some giants on my to do

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 11:22:34 PM »

If the issue is to be touring local breweries, I have no big interest in it.

I'm interested in the beer.

As you may know, I go to Taste of Belgium regularly here in Cincinnati (it has 4 locations). Yes, it's a restaurant, but I go also for the fine beers they serve (many of them Belgian of course). It blows my mind when I am sitting at the bar and the person next to me is ordering a Bud or Coors Light. Are you kidding me? I have had at times to restrain myself from shaming that person. Then sometimes I do. And I feel better.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 02:39:32 AM »

My thing with the flights is, if you find one you like, itís just going to be gone in a week anyway.  And if you visit 2 or 3 breweries, you and up pretty trashed anyway.

Doesnít Cincinnati have a burgeoning craft beer scene?  Like even more over-the-top than most of the country?  Itís basically you, us(Richmond), Asheville, and San Diego that seem to get mentioned everyhere.

There is a draft room near me that is kind of cool, though.  Do you guys have Sweet Frog frozen yogurt stores? The guy that started that is from Richmond.  He opened this place thatís maybe the size of a very small McDonalds.  50 seats or so.  Itís just one big wall of 50 self-serve taps and three walls of big screen TVís. 

I think the way he gets around ABC food requirements is he owns several stores next to each other and treats them as one.  So heís also got his small Korean restaurant, and a bubble tea and a barbecue place.  Each place has some seating but thereís an open patio in the middle with some chairs and tables. People donít go there as a destination really, but itís right in the busy boutique shopping touristy street in town.  So when it is hot in the summer you can take a break and grab some beer.  Or your wife is off looking at stupid from-from Knick knacks so just just tell her youíll meet her in 20 minutes and sneak off to catch some spots and a brew. Itís like a mini outdoor food court. I call it craft casual.

They charge by the ounce.  So you see people go in and take up on a couple of growlers to take out, or they will get five flight-size beers, or maybe theyíll just stop in and pound a thirst quenching 12 ounce PBR real quick. Or get an IPA over lunch.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 12:53:45 PM »

If the issue is to be touring local breweries, I have no big interest in it.

I'm interested in the beer.

As you may know, I go to Taste of Belgium regularly here in Cincinnati (it has 4 locations). Yes, it's a restaurant, but I go also for the fine beers they serve (many of them Belgian of course). It blows my mind when I am sitting at the bar and the person next to me is ordering a Bud or Coors Light. Are you kidding me? I have had at times to restrain myself from shaming that person. Then sometimes I do. And I feel better.

oh, fuck brewery tours.  they're all like, this is how we make beer.  now, historical european breweries sign me up.  except for guinness.  and i fucking love guinness.  the guinness brewery is for people who don't like guinness.  i would go to murphy's though.  fucking love murphy's.  more than guinness.  and cork's a cool town.  i've only been to breweries in czech republic.  pivovars.  my buddies' ladyfriend who's czech forced us to go to pilsner urquell because it's intrinsic to czech (same with castles.  i'm good on castles for the rest of my life) and i was so happy i did.  a brew tour in the us from one of the og's would be lame because it would be full of suburban dads in their under armour

i was at a brewery in portland, hub, late night with my buddy and two most likely in between jobs men show up and couldn't get a couple bud lights.  i thought even the homeless drank craft beer in portland.  i used to make fun of those people but some people are just like, fuck it.  i like bud light

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 01:57:54 PM »

I like crap US beer. It gets ice cold and is all fizzy.  Itís like drinking a coke.

If you are sitting down at a nice meal or relaxing after a long day, it is nice to have a flavorful, sipping beer.  Or in winter when a stout kinda fills you up.

But if you just finished mowing your lawn or running around outside or applying a stunner to Vince McMahon, tgatís Hot and thirst work and a cheap beer or 12 goes down just right.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 12:33:48 PM »

love my milwaukee beer.  every decent cheap beer on market hails from that great city.  i'll never forget calling to bill the bartender as i was about to enter the pisser at the 19th hole in suburban milwaukee, hey bill, get me a blatz!  i took that put and won

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 12:35:50 PM »

speaking of wisconsin.  my cousin drove down and brought some new glarus coffee stout.  new glarus isn't a novelty to me anymore since wisky's my home away from home.  i was a bit bummed it wasn't just a stout stout i effectively told my cousin.  i probably hurt his feelings

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 10:51:26 PM »

i think i had more spanish beers in morocco than moroccan ones.  i wrote lengthy diatribes in my notebook about the booze deserts.  luckily most of the places we stayed at had available beers.  one could drink flag specials and casablancas casually for hours.  not that i did.  it would be unsettling for a mother to see those effects on her son in law

you can't be within forty feet of a mosque and sell booze, which in one breathtaking town, was a wonderful adventure.  i had the afternoon free from my familial, i jestingly refer as my harem, companions, and asked around locally about "this" bar i heard of.  you don't, really want to go into moroccan bars.  i expect the level of debauchery at the den of allah blasphemers to be extraordinarily high.  i told wife i hadn't the courage.  i did go into this bar, mostly because it's a safe tourist town and the locals are just smoking grass.  i should have boughten the man a casablancas who guided me in and directed my purchases.  and to think, this would have been a genuine touristical moment.  share a beer with an english speaking chefchaouian.  totally went over my head. 

trying to find a burroughs haunt in tangier reeked of something that americans do.  not that there's anything really wrong with it, but le tangerine belongs in a museum not as a poor man's graceland (not that anyone's trying to make it that).  it would still be interesting to see where the beat hung out, so i reluctantly pursued her.  that town seemed made for the beat, well at least during it's lawless existence.  couldn't find the place, took my harem elsewheres.  a seaside tourist trap for casablancas replete with i, my dashing riviera wear, and west african buskers.  right near dee port boyeee 

Pages: [1]   Go Up