Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 25 Concerts for 2018  (Read 7554 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: 25 Concerts for 2018
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2018, 11:23:06 PM »

But the bigger question is... how were the B-52s? I saw them twice (about 10 and 15 years ago), and they just... SHREDDED. What a great time that was. Also, just curious, what time did they come on?
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2018, 09:11:02 AM »

Weirdly, a lot of the crowd left after Rick Springfield, which I wasn't expecting. B-52's came on (I think) around 9:30/9:45 p.m. and played until almost 11 p.m. Good show but to be honest they seemed to be phoning it in a little bit, and I think that may have had to do with the diminished crowd. But they were still fun and we danced like crazy.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2018, 02:40:30 PM »

2-14: Wonky Tonk - MOTR
2-17: New Politics / Dreamers - Bogarts
3-16: Born Ruffians / Fleece - MOTR
3-31: Governor Davis Band - Slippery Noodle, Indianapolis
4-18: Ho99o9 / 3Teeth - Southgate House Revival
4-20: Jake Owen / Pitbull - Duke Energy Convention Center
4-25: Weaves / Stef Chura - MOTR
4-27: Leggy - We Have Become Vikings, OTR

4-28: The National / Father John Misty / The Breeders / Lord Huron - Smale Riverfront Park
I know MK and a few others here were at the Homecoming Festival in late April.

By complete happenstance I stumbled upon this review of the festival, on a site that I had never heard off:

https://www.theringer.com/music/2018/5/1/17304758/the-national-homecoming-festival-cincinnati-father-john-misty-feist-the-breeders

I happen to lament the almost entirely lost art of concert reviewing. This particular review of Homecoming makes me miss it even more.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2018, 04:20:53 PM »

I tried reading the review all the way through and couldn't.  I've seldom seen someone use so many words while saying so little.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2018, 04:41:15 PM »

I tried reading the review all the way through and couldn't.  I've seldom seen someone use so many words while saying so little.

I agree, although I did slog my way through to the end. Article could have been way shorter if dude had an editor. Sheesh.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2018, 07:13:21 PM »

seems silly to make a new thread -

jukebox the ghost @ taft theater sept 7!!

i might make the road trip down to see them.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2018, 11:09:17 PM »

seriously? For Jukebox the ghost? Wow. Good for you

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2018, 12:13:38 AM »

seriously? For Jukebox the ghost? Wow. Good for you

i have family in hamilton and my nephews are talking about going as well. two birds....

and they put on a great show!

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2018, 01:57:39 PM »

4-28: The National / Father John Misty / The Breeders / Lord Huron - Smale Riverfront Park
5-27: Loverboy / Rick Springfield / B52s - Taste of Cincinnati Music Fest

Whoa, I've been slack-a-lackin' on this and now I can't recall what the hell I've seen since May.

Trixi, DogStarMan and I saw Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and Motherfolk on Fountain Square whenever that was.

7-26: Another Brick in the Wall: The Opera - Music Hall.

BRAVO! To say I was excited when I heard this new opera was coming to Cincinnati - and that Cincinnati was chosen for the US premiere (it opened in Canada last year) - welp, I knew I had to go.

I LOVE Pink Floyd's The Wall album and film, and know it pretty much inside and out. I've probably listened to that album a good 500 times because when I worked at the record store we used to put it on every Saturday night at 9 p.m. to get us through the final two hour shift. And I worked there 12 years. That's a lot of Saturday nights listening to The Wall.

If you've seen the film you have a good idea of what the opera is about. The first act of the opera sets up how and why Pink built a wall around himself. A fatherless boy with an overbearing and over protective mother, a cruel headmaster, a wife who ends up leaving him rather than be his punching bag. If you haven't seen the film ... you'd probably be as lost as the two old dears sitting behind CR and me, who asked each other at the intermission "do you have any idea what's going on? Because I don't..."

The second act more than makes up for what the first act lacks. Pink's descent into "madness" is soaring, searing and a punch to the gut as well as the heart. I cried like a baby during "In the Flesh," when stormtroopers began pulling "undesirables" out of the audience and beating them, as Pink sang "Are there any queers in the theatre tonight? Get them up against the wall. And that one looks Jewish, and that one's a coon, who let all this riffraff into the room?"

With everything happening in the US right now, that cut really close to the bone. Which I think is what made it so powerful.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2018, 11:35:07 PM »

I was interested in going to "Another Brick In the Wall - The Opera", but man, those tickets were expensive!

Glad you enjoyed it, MK!

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2018, 11:05:26 PM »

The terrific and visually stunning second act more than made up for the dull plod of bollocks the first act was.
Opulence. I has it.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2018, 10:27:13 PM »

1-26  Aimee Mann--Madison Theater
2-17  New Politics/Dreamers--Bogarts
5-10  Afghan Whigs/Built to Spill--The Wiltern (Los Angeles)
5-27  Loverboy/Rick Springfield/B 52s--Taste of Cincinnati
6-1  Depeche Mode--United Center (Chicago)
6-3  Dropkick Murphys/Jack White--Bunbury
6-13  U2--Wells Fargo Center (Philadelphia)
6-29  Motherfolk/Clap Your Hands Say Yeah--Fountain Square
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2018, 11:31:14 PM »

Is “When the Tigers Broke Free” in the opera?  Because if it isn’t, then that opera sucks.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2018, 08:35:55 AM »

Is “When the Tigers Broke Free” in the opera?  Because if it isn’t, then that opera sucks.

Yes, segueing into Bring the Boys Back Home. And one of the female leads became Vera Lynn and sang "Some Sunny Day," which was the only song that wasn't done operatic.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2018, 08:44:28 AM »

5-27: Loverboy / Rick Springfield / B52s - Taste of Cincinnati Music Fest
7-26: Another Brick in the Wall: The Opera - Music Hall.
8-1: Talking Dreads - Fountain Square, Downtown
Reggae Wednesday on Fountain Square is always a good time, but getting to see a really tight, professional band like Talking Dreads FOR FREE is a real treat. Led by Tom Tom Club member Mystic Bowie, the band plays reggae-fied versions of not only Talking Heads songs, but other alternative/modern rock artists, as well as plenty of straight up reggae tunes from favorites like Toots & the Maytals, Bob Marley and more. Excellent evening.

8-10: Jon Spencer Blues Explosion / All-Seeing Eye / Stallone'n'Roses - Woodward Theater

Holy cow, that man never disappoints.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 08:44:40 AM by MissKitty »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up