Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 25 Concerts for 2018  (Read 1131 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Re: 25 Concerts for 2018
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 10:38:19 PM »

What about Tennis.  I'd be more interested in them personally.  I still have a few Decemberists songs in rotation, but that first Tennis album is a classic AFAIC.
Tennis was GREAT! She is a cool customer, Man.

They're the best.  That first album is a classic.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2018, 09:36:55 AM »

4-20: Jake Owen / Pitbull - Duke Energy Convention Center
I still can't wrap my head around this bill. How? What? WHY?

I know, right?

It was a private event put on by Pure Romance for its 25th anniversary. Obviously there's big money in vibrators.

TBH I felt like a fraud being there because I had all access VIP passes which meant I got to be right up front for the show, while the ladies who actually sell the stuff were behind a barrier wall. That just didn't seem very fair to me. Their hard work was what allowed CEO Patty Brisben to amass her Pure Romance fortune, yet they were walled off from the show. I mean, they could see everything, but I dunno. Just felt weird to me. I am quite happy to accept free tickets to a concert now and then, but I guess I'm just not cut out to be a VIP sort of person.

That is definitely a weird feeling!
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2018, 11:49:20 PM »

2-14: Wonky Tonk - MOTR
2-17: New Politics / Dreamers - Bogarts
3-16: Born Ruffians / Fleece - MOTR
3-31: Governor Davis Band - Slippery Noodle, Indianapolis
4-18: Ho99o9 / 3Teeth - Southgate House Revival
4-25: Weaves / Stef Chura - MOTR
4-27: Leggy - We Have Become Vikings, OTR

4-28: The National / Father John Misty / The Breeders / Lord Huron - Smale Riverfront Park
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2018, 12:24:32 PM »

4-28: The National / Father John Misty / The Breeders / Lord Huron - Smale Riverfront Park

How were Father John Misty and The Breeders?  I'd like to see The Breeders again sometime, even through Kelley butchered my favorite Breeders song (Don't Call Home)  when last I saw them.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 12:55:25 PM »

How were Father John Misty and The Breeders?  I'd like to see The Breeders again sometime, even through Kelley butchered my favorite Breeders song (Don't Call Home)  when last I saw them.
I thought they both were really good. The Breeders were in full on rock mode, by far the loudest band of the day. Father John Misty is one of those anomalies that shouldn't work in a festival format but really does. His pure charisma makes up for anything he might be lacking. He just manages to suck the crowd in. He finished with a version of Ideal Husband that would have torn the roof off the place if it had one. For a guy that would almost qualify as a crooner, he can rock when he wants to.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2018, 04:24:10 PM »

Yeah, I'd agree with Dirk's assessment. I'm not super into FJM because his stuff reminds me so much of Elton John (phrasing/lyrics and vocally) - not that that is a bad thing but TBH I half expected dude to come out in a feather boa and big glasses. heh. But he totes had the crowd eating from his hand and sounded excellent.

Breeders rocked.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 10:02:00 PM »

Thanks to you both for the reports.  Those are two acts I'd really like to see, The Breeders (again) and Father John Misty (for the first time).
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2018, 10:05:32 PM »

how was lord huron? they played detroit the night before. it was sold out and i decided too expensive to scalp a ticket, pay for parking in royal oak, etc... he's from michigan so might explain the demand up here.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2018, 11:17:29 PM »

1.  3/30/2018 - Supersuckers/Drivin N Cryin/Tommy Grit & The Pricks--Southgate House Revival, Newport, Kentucky
2.  4/7/2018 - Karla Bonoff--Ludlow Garage, Cincinnati, Ohio
3.  4/21/2018 -  Sierra Hull/Don Gallardo--Southgate House Revival, Newport, Kentucky

4.  5/1/2018 - Calvin Johnson/Anissa Pulcheon---Black Plastic Records, Cincinnati, Ohio

The K Records website, as well as at least one of the other venues on his mini tour of the Midwest, gives the artist credit as Selector Dub Narcotic. But Black Plastic Records promoted it as a Calvin Johnson gig, so that's what I'm calling it.

But whether you refer to the headliner as SDN or by his real name, you get Calvin Johnson in hip hop mode, something I'm not inclined to appreciate.  But Johnson was really funny,  satirized rap's bombast and macho posturing and varied things by playing some melodica and even singing a little.   He performed for 37 minutes, which isn't bad for a record store gig, and the great weather allowed the show to be held on the sidewalk in front of the store.  And Calvin still has the DIY spirit:  while I'm sure he could afford to have t-shirts commercially printed with the name of his record label and recording studio, he was wearing a plain white tee with obviously homemade writing on it--it looked like the homemade t-shirt my daughter wore to her first We The Kings concert, if not as well done.  All in all, a good time was had by the 30 or so of us gathered for the show.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2018, 09:19:18 AM »

Dammit. I had every intention of attending the show DrJ and am really pissed off with myself for falling asleep on the sofa just after I got home from work. Awoke around 9:30 p.m. and was like, WTF?

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2018, 06:21:35 PM »

Dammit. I had every intention of attending the show DrJ and am really pissed off with myself for falling asleep on the sofa just after I got home from work. Awoke around 9:30 p.m. and was like, WTF?

Yeah, that's happened to me before, not with concerts but things like movies.  Although the gig was over a little before 8:30, I was the only one who left right after it.  Seems like a lot of folks wanted to talk to Calvin and buy merch (he had a couple of really interesting "packages" of recorded music).  So he might have still been there at 9:30--can't be certain though.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2018, 12:21:37 PM »

how was lord huron? they played detroit the night before. it was sold out and i decided too expensive to scalp a ticket, pay for parking in royal oak, etc... he's from michigan so might explain the demand up here.

Sorry for the delayed reply - I somehow missed it, derp.

Sounded excellent!

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2018, 01:29:01 PM »

1. 3/20 Godspeed You! Black Emperor @ st. andrews detroit

3 guitars, 2 bass, 2 drummers, 1 violin, 1 film projectionist, 7 songs, 2 hours. EPIC!

2. 5/11 jukebox the ghost @magic stick detroit - excellent show!
3. 5/25 decemberists/elenor friedberger @ hill auditorium ann arbor - gained a new appreciation for the new album, great concert!

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2018, 12:54:53 AM »

1-26  Aimee Mann--Madison Theater
2-17  New Politics/Dreamers--Bogarts
5-10  Afghan Whigs/Built to Spill--The Wiltern (Los Angeles)
5-27  Loverboy/Rick Springfield/B 52s--Taste of Cincinnati
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 12:32:13 PM »

2-14: Wonky Tonk - MOTR
2-17: New Politics / Dreamers - Bogarts
3-16: Born Ruffians / Fleece - MOTR
3-31: Governor Davis Band - Slippery Noodle, Indianapolis
4-18: Ho99o9 / 3Teeth - Southgate House Revival
4-25: Weaves / Stef Chura - MOTR
4-27: Leggy - We Have Become Vikings, OTR

5-27: Loverboy / Rick Springfield / B52s - Taste of Cincinnati Music Fest

Honestly, Trixi and I did not even see Loverboy. We sat on the pavement and tried to shield our eyes from anything Mike Reno ... but we still had to suffer the music.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up