Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OK Spotify  (Read 827 times)

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
OK Spotify
« on: April 18, 2018, 08:17:48 AM »

So I've decided to play around with the "Recommended Songs" function on Spotify. I created a playlist, and seeded it with 20 songs - my (more or less) favorite song from my 20 favorite artists. From there, I'm going to use the Recommended Songs function to build the playlist. Of course, I retain veto power, especially if Spotify craps the bed and recommended songs or artists I can't stand.

Good thing that I do, because I was not impressed with Spotify's first six suggestions. Spotify has a lot to learn, because there's no way that Rod Stewart and Rufus fucking Wainwright are coming anywhere near any playlist of mine.

I added one song, "Smoke" by Ben Folds Five, and moved on. Thankfully, there's a Refresh button or this experiment would be ending quickly.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: OK Spotify
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 02:02:05 PM »

I find their recommendations are fairly decent. *shrugs*

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 03:46:45 PM »

What's wrong with Rufus

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 06:33:12 PM »

I'm with Jonathan re: Rufus. No thanks.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 09:57:24 AM »

I don't get Rufus either, with the exception of a couple of tracks.  Unless he's telling his story about meeting Bea Arthur of course, that shit is solid gold.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 12:40:27 AM »

the thing i dislike about spotify is how it automatically plays whatever it wants (or thinks you'll like) at the end of an album or playlist sometimes. i feel like i have even turned that crap off in setting at some point and yet, it does it.

and yes, it loads like a sonuvabitch sometimes. sloooooow.
i think luisterpaul said something about that the other day......

despite those things, i use it everyday, extensively.
bongo hard or bongo home

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 09:44:39 AM »

I'm with Jonathan re: Rufus. No thanks.
Re-reading this - it's a bit harsh. Rufus is an amazing singer, amazing songwriter, and one of the most talented musicians out there. I admire him very much. But yet...I don't want to listen to his work. Nothing against him - it's just not my cup of tea.

That being said...yes, I agree that the Spotify songs at the bottom of the playlist can be confusing. However, that's also been amazing from time to time. I recreated in Spotify a playlist that I made in 2010 or something, and then it added some tracks I hadn't heard since 2008 or so, I was loving every second of it. So the algorithm worked that time.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 10:46:50 AM »

the thing i dislike about spotify is how it automatically plays whatever it wants (or thinks you'll like) at the end of an album or playlist sometimes. i feel like i have even turned that crap off in setting at some point and yet, it does it.

Try going back into the settings and toggling "autoplay" off again. It seems that sometimes when Spotify pushes out new updates, some settings get messed up.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 10:59:28 AM »

Finding that autoplay switch and turning it off was a godsend.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 02:02:23 PM »

It feels to me like Spotify pushes out new updates weekly though.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 04:17:16 PM »

Certainly seems so, but the autoplay toggle doesn't always get tripped every time. But once in a while it does, and then you have to go back into settings and fix. I've had to do it maybe 3 times over the past 12 months.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up