Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: English Premier League and other European football 2018/19  (Read 3699 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: English Premier League and other European football 2018/19
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 11:32:16 AM »

Hmmm. Interesting that it took this long. Les Reed helped get the club up by learning from Cortese. And both basically treated everyone like they were above everyone else. And then when being a dick stopped helping Les Reed stopped helping. Or something like that.

I have no inside info but I know that the team isn't any good and the club is in a sad place. I fully expect them to be in the Championship next year which, frankly, they won't perform well in either. 

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 01:43:00 PM »

Saints are a legitimately bad team.  They probably deserve to go down, and it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

But I'm still hopeful they can stay up, because there are a bunch of horrible teams in PL this year.  This team is no worse than Huddersfield, Fulham, or Cardiff.  The problem is, they aren't *better*, either... but I think the players believe they are.  So the main issue I see is that the other bad teams will be fighting tooth and nail to survive, and Saints players will be calling their agents looking for new clubs.

IF they were to bring in a better manager than Hughes who can get the team fired up and maybe make one astute signing in the winter, they can stay up.  The odds of this happening are about 50/50.  But before they fired Reed the odds were 0%, so it's still a big step in the right direction.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 02:00:47 PM »

As Dave Merrington would say, "What the Saints need to do here is find someone who can put the ball in the back of the net."

Well, duh.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 11:35:00 AM »

As Dave Merrington would say, "What the Saints need to do here is find someone who can put the ball in the back of the net."

Well, duh.
“If that had gone in, that would have been a goal”

Ref, it DID go in, and it was a fucking goal, you incompetent cunt
Opulence. I has it.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 08:58:22 AM »

Charlie was robbed.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 03:56:33 PM »

Yeah, but Bertrand gave up just about the most obvious penalty + straight red you'll ever see and it wasn't called. 

I can't say it evens out, though.  I don't know what it does.  Two of the worst decisions I've ever seen happening in the same game-- which I thought was the worst officiated game I'd seen in awhile BEFORE either of those two calls-- can't really offset each other.  It's not like okay, it's like nothing happened. 

That officiating in that game was just so awful, it's quite fair to say it cost both teams and most of all the fans the match.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 04:00:13 PM »

Yeah, I agree that Bertrand should have gotten a red and they should have gotten to take the penalty. But that disallowed goal from Charlie was still utter bollocks. CR said he heard that match was the ref's first ever prem game. I hope it was also his last. What a shitfest.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 02:49:02 PM »

This has gone viral so you've probably already seen it, but this is pretty incredible:

https://twitter.com/nurseryinnfc/status/1066708021982765056?s=21

"As a club we’d like to wish Lewis Keers all the best as he parts ways with the Nursery Inn. The young CB has been sentenced to 18 months in a youth offenders institution for attempted robbery. We wish him all the best and hope he comes out less of a fucking idiot."

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 03:00:55 PM »

Not as funny as the Irish lower level team that faked a guy's death to get out of a match last week, but still funny.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2018, 10:45:53 PM »

the Irish lower level team that faked a guy's death to get out of a match last week
I saw that too on Belgian media... pretty amazing
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2018, 11:22:02 AM »

Mark  Hughes sacked as Southampton manager. Thank god!

Ever since I posted the below, I've been unhappy and lackadaisical about following them. Re-treads are not a good business plan. Thanks for securing two wins at the end last year, Mark, but that's all we can say. 3 wins in 22 PL games? You should be embarrassed.

Clickety click for larger

I hear that Paul Mitchell might be appointed back. I don't know him enough to have an opinion, but again - a re-tread is not a good business model.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2018, 01:24:51 PM »

I watched the Southampton-ManUnited match on Saturday.

Both of these teams looked utterly "dazed and confused".

Mark Hughes gone. When will Mourinho be a goner too?
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2018, 12:09:10 PM »

Thoughts on Ralph Hasenhuttl?
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/11571339/ralph-hasenhuttl-agrees-three-year-southampton-contract

Looks like it's him. He sounds exciting. I like that he's unemployed because of contract relations/negotiations and not performance, which is never true for all of those re-treads. He's more likely to get poached by a bigger club, in fact, than fired for poor results in my estimation. I don't know much about him obviously, but I am optimistic at least. Will the club spend for his players? Hopefully they'll offload a few in the winter window, too. I liked one report that I read about this summer's signings that said the Saints signed a lot of players which made the squad deeper, but not better. Hah!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2018, 10:38:52 PM »

Looks like a bold move. Good for Southampton to not get some guy who's not been re-hashed so many times in the EPL (looking at you Mark Hughes, I mean, how many times can a guy like that get a manager's job).

But of course only time will tell. If Hasenhuttl manages to keep Southampton up, he'll be the hero. If he doesn't, it'll turn out to be another disastrous decision.

Why exactly did he leave RB Leipzig?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 10:42:28 PM by euro60 »

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2018, 10:03:54 AM »

I'm not sure why he left RB Leipzig.  He certainly had good results.  It sounds like maybe he didn't get along with some of the staff.  And maybe they were both a little cocky with Lepizig thinking they were going to be a bigtime CL club and didn't need him, and Hassenhuttl thinking he was a bigtime CL managager and didn't need the club.

It's a good hire.  I'm not sure it will work out but it's worth the risk.  I was not that big a fan of hiring Hughes straightaway without even interviewing anyone else.  They gave too much credit to Hughes for keeping them up.  They really didn't play much better under Hughes than they did under Pellegrino.  It was more that Swansea choked than that Saints improved and pulled off a miracle.

Not that I blame Hughes that much, either.  He's not a very good manager, but he's not a TERRIBLE manager either.  Just mediocre and blah.  The main problem really was having very little to work with.  Southampton's team is not particularly talented.  But more importantly, they're put together very poorly.  On paper, they should still be good enough to avoid relegation but when you try to figure out a tactic, formation or first team, it's like some fast players who can't score, and scoring players who can't run, and some passers who can't defend, and some defenders who can't pass, etc. 

I think that a good manager could figure something out, and then if the team finally has a playing philosophy, maybe just one or two transfers could turn them into at least a mid-table side again.  But Hughes is not that good a manager, and IMO he's particularly bad at talent spotting/recruitment.

The real blame though, lies with Les Reed who put this team together.  I was glad that he finally got sacked.  I think once Reed went, it was a sign that they planned to clean house and they rightly didn't trust him with that task.  I would be very excited to get Paul Mitchell back as Director of Football, who was in charge back when Southampton had a great academy and were making all those astute moves that got them back in the PL to begin with.  Tottenham lured him away from Saints, but he hated it there and ended up at RB Leipzig with Hasenhuttl.  So maybe Saints can get both of them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up