Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: English Premier League and other European football 2018/19  (Read 1245 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
English Premier League and other European football 2018/19
« on: August 10, 2018, 01:44:17 PM »

Hell yeah, Danny Ings!

His knees are shot to hell and I bet he doesn't stay healthy for more than two months and Saints are paying a ridiculous 18m for that shit.  But I love Danny Ings.  One of my favorite players.  So I don't care that this move is horrendously stupid and probably dooms Saints.  At last there is someone on the team I truly want to root for.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: English Premier League and other European football 2018/19
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 02:24:07 PM »

Happy New Year, Everybody!
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 02:30:26 PM »

Sigh...Maybe next year.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 05:09:18 PM »

ManUnited looked like a carbon copy of last year. Score a goal, then sit back, and trust your stingy defense and excellent goalie. And hope for a counter-attack.

By all means Leicester was the equal, if not the better team. But they couldn't quite get it on goal enough, and de Gea made a couple of great saves. (Speaking of which: the commentator mentioned that de Gea had only 1 save in the entire WC. Can that be true? He had 2 saves in the first half alone today.)

I was quite charmed by Leicester, I must say. They should be good.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 10:59:46 PM »

with ManUnited losing tonight at home against Derby County in the League Cup, one has to wonder how much time is left for Mourinho...
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 10:48:50 PM »

So... after 10 games, one-third of the Belgian Jupiler Pro-League regular season is in the bag. Things are bad for my team Lokeren. They have avoided relegation in the last couple of year but things are DIRE now:

1    KRC Genk    10    8    0    2    26
2    Club Brugge    10    8    1    25
3    Anderlecht    10    6    2    2    20
4    Antwerp    10    5    1    4    19
5    Standard    10    5    2    3    18
6    STVV    10    4    1    5    17
7    KAA Gent    10    4    4    2    14
8    KV Oostende    10    4    4    2    14
9    Cercle Brugge    10    3    4    3    12
10    Charleroi    10    3    5    2    11
11    KV Kortrijk    10    3    5    2    11
12    KAS Eupen    10    3    6    1    10
13    Beveren    10    1    3    6    9
14    Lokeren    10    1    7    2    5
15    Zulte Waregem    10    1    7    2    5
16    Excel Moeskroen    10    1    8    1    4

Only 5 points after 10 games. I don't know I can recall a worse start to the season. And I don't know there is a ready solution to make things better...

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 08:17:29 AM »

Welcome to the pain club, Euro. Saints are in the same mess. Total shit. Even the lush beauty that is Wesley Hoedt can't make up for the fact that he (and the rest of the squad) are making too many mistakes.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 08:19:30 AM by MissKitty »
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 10:37:42 PM »

MK, I can watch all of the Lokeren games streaming, but honestly, i don't have the heart for it right now. This past weekend, in another 6 point relegation battle, they ended up losing at home 1-3. So glad I didn't watch. It's just taking too much out of me if I did.

I watch the Premier League, and see what Southampton is doing (or better: not doing). I feel for you guys, but I don't feel the sense of desperation (yet) for you guys. For me, it is real right now. Relegation is a real possibility. I would be devastated if that would happen. This is a club that just 4 years ago was playing in the Europa League (and quite well at it).

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 08:09:20 PM »

The only thing anyone in Belgium is talking about is the bombshell that dropped yesterday (Tuesday), as Belgian police conducted many raids and picked up many people in connection with a massive match-fixing scandal. The NYT article gives some flavor:

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2018/10/10/sports/soccer/10reuters-soccer-fraud-belgium.html

But in the Belgian press and media, they are having a field day as you can well imagine.

Two of Belgium top referees are among those arrested, and are already banned for life.

Apparently all of this started when the Belgian prosecutors were looking at allegations of black or unregulated money circulating in Belgian football involving player brokers. That led them to all kinds of new information in connection with last season's relegation battle, where ultimately KV Mechelen, a (for Belgian standards) decent mid-level club with nice support (regularly selling out their stadium of 15,000) in dramatic fashion was relegated, and KAS Eupen (which regularly plays in front of a mere 1,000 or 2,000 people) stayed up. Get this: on the very last day of the regular competition, Eupen needed to win to ensure staying up. Playing at home against another bad team, it was 0-0 until the 70th min., and then magically Eupen scores not 1, not 2, not 3 but FOUR goals in the last 20 min. Are you kidding me? 

It pains me to see Belgian football and the Jupiler Pro League going through this... But if it is infested and rotten to the core, and it sure looks that way, someone please clean it out, no matter how high up they need to go.

There will be much more to come on this in the days and weeks to come. Belgian football is reeling right now.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 03:07:50 PM »

There will be much more to come on this in the days and weeks to come. Belgian football is reeling right now.

The Hurricane 1 sweeping through Belgian football has just become a Hurricane 2 or 3.

In what surely is one of the saddest days in the history of my team Lokeren, its manager Peter Maes, the guy who won two Belgian Cups for Lokeren and returned to coach the team last year, was ARRESTED today and is in jail overnight. It's not really clear what the exact reason is but obviously this is not good.

In total 20 people have been arrested to date. Most of them were released within a few days. Several of the referees and high-powered brokers remain behind bars.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 05:21:17 PM »

Wow, that is quite a scandal. I'm sorry your team has gotten caught up in the ugliness, Euro. Bummer.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 10:41:30 PM »

Peter Maes, the Lokeren manager, was released from jail "with conditions" (he can't talk to the press, he is not allowed to leave the country, etc.)

Only time will tell where it will all lead to. But it's very ugly. Very sad. I am stupefied by the whole thing, to be honest. And this is not just about Lokeren, but the entire Belgian Jupiler Pro League.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 11:54:34 PM »

After yet another disappointing result today (0-0 at home against a very beatable team). Peter Maes was fired as manager of Lokeren.

This guy was REVERED by Lokeren fans, for what he has done in the glory years (2010-14)

Honestly, I don't know how this can be fixed. Lokeren is tied for last place in the Belgian Jupiler Pro League.

Very sad and dark days for this team. I am just sick.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 06:04:48 PM »

Another day, another bombshell at Lokeren:

The 87 yr. old owner, who has ruled the club for 25 years with an iron fist alongside a very generous bank account**, is looking to sell the club. The sooner, the better, according to the official club announcement.

** Just on Monday, the club announced its new manager, a big name (for Belgium) who has won 2 titles with Club Brugge. This guy isn't coming to Lokeren for charity, if you know what I mean.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 11:27:08 AM »

Les Reed sacked at Southampton.  About goddamn time.  Apparently Martin Hunter is leaving, too.  Good riddance to him, too.

They have both always kinda seemed like dicks to me. Les Reed especially I want to punch in the face everytime I hear him talk.  So cocky. 

You just can't really criticize them when the club was doing so well.  They do deserve a lot of credit for the years prior to 2016.  But now that the club is doing quite poorly, and in large part due to bad transfer and lack of youth development they legit deserve to go, and I'm happy to let loose with the personal grudges.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up