Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: English Premier League and other European football 2018/19  (Read 1247 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: English Premier League and other European football 2018/19
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2018, 11:23:42 AM »

Ooooh I remember a little of Paul Mitchell now. Vaguely. But yeah, if he was part of the club during the Rickie Lambert years then I think that might be good for us. For some reason I was thinking he was part of the club during the Peter Crouch years or something like that.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2018, 05:44:15 PM »

He didn't bring in Lambert but he was a Cortese guy and there when Saints had the "Black Box" and were hot shit.

I think he joined right before the Championship season, then left after the Meltdown summer to join Pochetino at Tottenham, probably based on MP's  rec.

So I don't know how big a role he played but Tadic, Pelle, Mane, Yoshida, Clyne, Wanyama, Forster, and Steven Davis were brought in while he was there.  Also Gaston Ramirez and Osvaldo but the common wisdom seems to say those were Cortese specialty signings.  He also sold Schneiderlin, Chambers but I think again, most people agree neither he nor Saints had much say in that.

The first year after he left we still had good recruiting-- Alderweireld on loan, Bertrand, VVD.   The summer after that was when it all went to hell and we handed existing players big extensions over wheeling and dealing and have not really gotten anyone real great since.  Some decent players but no impact guys.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2018, 09:50:11 PM »

Hassenhutl is a leap forward, and then some.

Hughes should never have been given the job. Old school, old ideas, old methods.

My contacts inside SFC are suggesting that, yes, Mitchell will be back. Katarina is exerting more influence behind the scenes that might be imagined given her minority shareholding.

However, probably no signings in January. The Chinese owners are cash poor so any buys will have to come as a result of sells. Lots of rumours about Boufal, Sims and maybe even Carillo being recalled from their loan clubs, all three considered “dead weight” by, lets face it, a dead weight manager in MH.

I thought we looked better against both Man U & Spurs. 3 shots off the woodwork against the spuds suggest that we just need a little more luck going our way. That game could easily have ended in a draw, even a cheeky 3-points.

I have more faith in the management now that Les Reed has gone. His decision making has cost the club a LOT of cash in the past 2-3 seasons, not just on shit managers but ridiculous player contracts (Forster for 5-years springing to mind immediately). If Mitchell does come in as DOF there will be a sea change back to grooming the academy players, and I, for one, can’t wait. It’s been an utterly miserable two years or more.
Opulence. I has it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up