Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: English Premier League and other European football 2018/19  (Read 5253 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: English Premier League and other European football 2018/19
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2018, 11:23:42 AM »

Ooooh I remember a little of Paul Mitchell now. Vaguely. But yeah, if he was part of the club during the Rickie Lambert years then I think that might be good for us. For some reason I was thinking he was part of the club during the Peter Crouch years or something like that.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2018, 05:44:15 PM »

He didn't bring in Lambert but he was a Cortese guy and there when Saints had the "Black Box" and were hot shit.

I think he joined right before the Championship season, then left after the Meltdown summer to join Pochetino at Tottenham, probably based on MP's  rec.

So I don't know how big a role he played but Tadic, Pelle, Mane, Yoshida, Clyne, Wanyama, Forster, and Steven Davis were brought in while he was there.  Also Gaston Ramirez and Osvaldo but the common wisdom seems to say those were Cortese specialty signings.  He also sold Schneiderlin, Chambers but I think again, most people agree neither he nor Saints had much say in that.

The first year after he left we still had good recruiting-- Alderweireld on loan, Bertrand, VVD.   The summer after that was when it all went to hell and we handed existing players big extensions over wheeling and dealing and have not really gotten anyone real great since.  Some decent players but no impact guys.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2018, 09:50:11 PM »

Hassenhutl is a leap forward, and then some.

Hughes should never have been given the job. Old school, old ideas, old methods.

My contacts inside SFC are suggesting that, yes, Mitchell will be back. Katarina is exerting more influence behind the scenes that might be imagined given her minority shareholding.

However, probably no signings in January. The Chinese owners are cash poor so any buys will have to come as a result of sells. Lots of rumours about Boufal, Sims and maybe even Carillo being recalled from their loan clubs, all three considered “dead weight” by, lets face it, a dead weight manager in MH.

I thought we looked better against both Man U & Spurs. 3 shots off the woodwork against the spuds suggest that we just need a little more luck going our way. That game could easily have ended in a draw, even a cheeky 3-points.

I have more faith in the management now that Les Reed has gone. His decision making has cost the club a LOT of cash in the past 2-3 seasons, not just on shit managers but ridiculous player contracts (Forster for 5-years springing to mind immediately). If Mitchell does come in as DOF there will be a sea change back to grooming the academy players, and I, for one, can’t wait. It’s been an utterly miserable two years or more.
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2018, 02:07:26 PM »

Mourinho sacked!

After Sunday's dismal performance at Liverpool, this cannot come as a surprise.

Apparently MU want Pocchettino. He's be a complete fool to leave Spurs for the complete mess that is MU (IMHO).
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2018, 02:28:30 PM »

I don't know. 

I agree that MU is a team in disarray, and a lousy place to work.  So in a normal situation, I'd agree that it would be stupid to leave Tottenham for Manchester United.

But the twist is, I think Tottenham has a shitty owner and is a bad place to work as well.  It's not the support structure that is making the team successful, it's MP himself.  Tottenham was in sorry shape before MP got there.  And that's generally the case.  If a club is in good shape, they're not sacking their manager and hiring a new one.  So, I could completely understand if he were 1) Not quite as happy at Spurs as you might think, and 2) Confident of his ability to be successful despite bad working conditions.

Will he do it?  I don't know.  I think that Pochettino is both very ambitious and somewhat loyal.  I never had a problem with him leaving Saints.  Nicola Cortese hired him under certain promises and Cortese definitely had a huge hand in how things were run and was very particular.  Without Cortese, the whole situation at Saints was going to be very different from what he signed up for.  I think had Cortese stayed at Southampton, Pochettino would have turned down Spuds and stayed as well, at least for another season or so.

Given how successful Pochettino has been and assuming he keeps it up, he will move to a bigger club sooner or later.  The question just becomes whether he wants to make the move now and where he wants to go.  I'm not sure MU holds as much appeal to him as it might others, but I mean it's still Manchester United.  I also think he has a legit shot to win the league this year, but if he doesn't his stock is rising and he'll still have plenty of opportunities in the summer.... but it's still Manchester United.

I think Pochettino's ultimate goal is probably Madrid or Barca but Manchester United might be a better stepping stone than staying at Tottenham.  And I also don't feel like he feels he owes Tottenham anything.  He's been there a few seasons now and turned their fortunes around.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 02:30:42 PM by Zafer Kaya »

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2018, 11:56:01 PM »

Updated standings in the Belgian Jupiler Pro League after 20 (out of 30) regular competition matches

1   KRC Genk   20   13   1   6   46/18   45
2   Club Brugge   20   11   4   5   47/22   38
3   Antwerp   20   10   5   5   28/23   35
4   Standard   20   9   5   6   32/22   33
5   STVV   20   8   4   8   31/23   32
6   Anderlecht   20   9   7   4   34/27   31
7   KAA Gent   20   9   7   4   37/33   31
8   Charleroi   20   9   8   3   32/28   30
9   Cercle Brugge   20   7   9   4   24/38   25
10   KV Kortrijk   20   6   7   7   24/28   25
11   KAS Eupen   20   7   12   1   21/38   22
12   KV Oostende   20   6   10   4   20/36   22
13   Zulte Waregem   20   5   10   5   31/42   20
14   Waasland-Beveren   20   4   8   8   23/27   20
15   Excel Moeskroen   20   4   11   5   15/25   17
16   KSC Lokeren   20   3   12   5   19/34   14

This is a very cold and dire Christmas for Lokeren fans, honestly I'm not sure the team can be saved from relegation. So incredibly sad. Lokeren thrived in the Europa League just 3 years ago!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2018, 01:55:15 PM »

It's amazing how fast the fortunes can turn in the world of football, isn't it?

Right now it feels like Southampton can (almost) qualify for Europe next year, while three weeks ago I didn't even care about them.
A guy in my office is still saying that Pochettino is still the favorite to take over the Manchester United job as there is still that lingering "interim" tag for Ole Gunnar Solskjær. So that means, if true, that Ralph Hasenhüttl is the odds on favorite for the Tottenham job! Ha!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2019, 12:19:00 AM »

Watched ManCity-Liverpool the other day. What a fabulous game that was. Football at its best.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2019, 10:53:36 PM »

Does anyone know which US channel is broadcasting the FA Cup games going on this weekend? I couldn't find it. Surely some channel is?!?

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2019, 08:19:56 AM »

Does anyone know which US channel is broadcasting the FA Cup games going on this weekend? I couldn't find it. Surely some channel is?!?

Using unverified rantings from The Greg to respond to this.
ESPN is a dickhead. They buy the rights to these matches and then they don't air them. I guess they were only available on-line.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2019, 08:21:28 AM »

Using unverified rantings from The Greg to respond to this.
ESPN is a dickhead. They buy the rights to these matches and then they don't air them. I guess they were only available on-line.

From the dickhead horse's own mouth:
https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2018/08/espn-becomes-exclusive-presenter-of-emirates-fa-cup-in-u-s-through-new-rights-agreement/

Basically, they are only on ESPN+. Wankers.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2019, 02:21:42 PM »

ESPN+

Great quality HD streams. Tons better than the shitty resolution nBCSportsGold ever manages.
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2019, 10:36:25 PM »

wow, this just blows the mind, really.

ESPN+???

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2019, 10:54:53 PM »

wow, this just blows the mind, really.

ESPN+???
They have shown pretty every single match in the last 4 rounds, yes.
Opulence. I has it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up