Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP Eleanor “Ella Minnow Pea” Howell  (Read 466 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: RIP Eleanor “Ella Minnow Pea” Howell
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2019, 08:33:29 AM »

She pitched in with this site when we needed it.  And she made it a point to find and meet me IRL.  Visited me a few times after that, too.  Not a lot but it was kind of like every few years. 

There is actually a new restaurant in town that I haven't gone to because they supposedly have incredible Brussels sprouts and she is the only person I know who eats them.  So I was kind of vaguely saving it for like in case she ever came up here again that's where we could go.

Please visit it and raise a few Brussels sprouts to her in our honor. I'm sure she would totally have gotten a kick out of that.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2019, 08:49:09 AM »

hi y'all- My heart is broken. My family's hearts are, too. Thank you adyonka for starting a thread. I've become the internet representative for the family, and everytime I notify one group I think of another that needs to know.

So many people loved her, I don't think she knew that. Despite her thousands of posts here and on WOXY, she was a shy person, and absolutely an introvert. Being accepted here as exactly who she was meant so much to her. Her geekyness, her love of order and numbers and databases and tech, those were all assets and loved. And meeting so many of you IRL was like gold to her. I've been trying to think of her favorite band, and all I'm coming up with it Kaiser Chiefs, which was a long time ago... she loved the mixes that were exchanged. And Torturethon ("If I had a Million Dollars" for 10 hours on a drive to Tennessee from Raleigh. I nearly killed her.) Thank you all for sharing your memories of her. I want to capture every one of them like precious drops of water.

It was so unexpected- she passed away at home, late Sunday night. I found out Tuesday morning. The Medical Examiner says it was her heart.

We are having a service on Saturday, November 2 at 2pm in Raleigh, at First Presbyterian Church.
There will be another November memorial service in the Nashville area. We're still figuring out details. We want to do it before Thanksgiving. If any of you are able to make it to that one, it would be wonderful. And if a meet up in Cinti happens, she'd be pleased as punch.

I think she's chatting with Buzz, Spacey, Zane and Bob, and finding all the best music in heaven.

Chespo

• Tourist
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2019, 11:08:12 AM »

I've been trying to think of her favorite band…
It looks like she hadn't been 'scrobbling' her listening history for the past six years, but Last.fm's got a record of her most played artists and songs in the 2005–2013 period: https://www.last.fm/user/rcc94/library/artists

If she was a Spotify user, maybe her more recent listening history is there. Uff, this is all just heartbreaking; the musical postmortem, speaking of her in the past tense…

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2019, 04:56:30 PM »

WHAT?!?

Holy cow, I cannot believe this. I audibly gasped when I just saw this thread's title as I'm sitting in my office.

I once had lunch with her here in Cincinnati back in the day when she came up to Cincy for a WOXY shindig or a show, I don't even remember. She was a delightful person from all I could tell.

It was only weeks ago when I posted that I couldn't post on randomville from home anymore as I had to reboot my computer and hence along the way lost my pre-set password which I couldn't remember. She then kindly offered to take care of it, if I wanted to. I didn't pursue it (as I can post from work), but it's just another example of her kindness and willingness to help others whenever she could. 

And her obvious love of music is what brought her to WOXY and later randomville, and it made us all better people for it.

This sadly brings home the point once again that every day is a gift. And to give a hug to your family or friends and tell them how much you love them (family) and appreciate them (friends) because you never know when you lose the chance to do that and say that again.

I'm going to dig up the Kaiser Chiefs debut CD (per va-vacious suggestion) tonight at home, and lift a glass to Ella's memory.

My heart goes out to va-vacious and the rests of Ella's family in these difficult moments and days.

RIP Ella!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 05:31:49 PM by euro60 »
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2019, 05:34:39 PM »

For reasons too long to explain, I had to reset and relaunch my desk top at home and hence I lost all "pre-set" passwords on everything, including for here. I tried to sign in, and I guess I don't remember the password. And then I couldn't get it to reset it to a new password. So now I can only use Randomville at work (where the password remains "pre-set"). It's no big deal, just annoying.
I think I can reset your password (although I can't see your current one). Let me know if you want me to try that at some point.

Here is that exchange with Ella, from just last month <sigh>
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2019, 12:20:18 AM »

@Chespo, thanks for that list! She loved her lists. Lists of everything.

The date for the Tennessee event has been set - Saturday, November 9, in the afternoon (time TBD), probably in Lebanon, TN, just outside of Nashville. we are deciding on location this weekend.

She loved U2- we went to see them on the big stadium tour a few years ago (10, maybe?) When she was a senior in high school she stayed home while the rest of the family went to Atlanta for Thanksgiving, because U2 was playing Nashville on the Friday after.
And she came to Atlanta a couple of years to do the Shaky Knees festival with me- the Decemberists, the National, etc.

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2019, 11:12:50 PM »

Eleanor's obituary can be found here
http://www.cremnc.com/obituary/eleanor-howell

The graveside service will be held on Saturday, November 9, time to be determined, likely in either late morning, or noon. An extended visitation will be held on that afternoon at First Presbyterian Church, 304 West Main, Lebanon, TN

I'm with our parents now.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2019, 10:04:19 AM »

Eleanor came to stay with us when CR and I lived in Newport. She and I both shared a passion for genealogy and spent the weekend really getting our geek on, exchanging strategies, discussing our "brick walls" (when an ancestor's trail runs cold) and trading info. We had such a nice time together and the laughter and friendship was so easy.

Even though we had met via WOXY and obviously shared a great love of music, it was through genealogy that the two of us really connected. She was very helpful and encouraging, and when I finally got my paperwork approved for membership into the DAR, she was the first person to offer congratulations. She, more than anyone else, understood what a milestone it was, and it was a nice feeling to have someone with her knowledge and expertise in my corner.

My heart goes out to you and your family, VA. Eleanor really was such a special lady.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up