Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Cincinnati Reds 2019  (Read 2411 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Cincinnati Reds 2019
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 10:46:26 PM »

it's pretty funny.  hunter green's getting tugged and apathy is slowly setting in.  pro sports in this city suck balls.  thank god for FC Cincinnati
corrected that for you ;=)
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 10:56:49 PM »

forgot about them.  hope it works out
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 10:43:45 AM »

I mean, you can't write off a team based on five games. But it really wouldn't be that much of a shock if the Reds sucked this year.  Sonny Gray had a near 5.00 ERA last year, and Roark is the kind of fifth starter type that lives on the margin and could just massively suck at any time.  He loses like .25 mph off his crappy fastball or the tiniest sliver of command and he's awful.

I think Winker will be good, Senzel will be good if he's ever healthy, and Ervin might be pretty good.  I don't think Castillo will be a real Kershaw ace but he's pretty good and ace-like in streaks a la Cueto.  DeSclafini is probably pretty good if he can stay healthy.  So they do have some decent and/or exciting pieces.  They deserve a little better attendance than they are getting based on the talent on paper. 

But I think everyone has just kind of written the franchise and Castellini.  It's like even if they sort of luck their way into being semi-decent this year everyone knows they'll just fuck it up so why bother getting your hopes up? 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 10:48:35 PM »

I mean, you can't write off a team based on five games.
What about after six games?

Anyhow, whatever interest I had in the Reds with that monster trade with the Dodgers (and other moves) in the off-season has pretty much disappeared. My big worry now is how am I going to fill our firm's suite at GABP with clients that I've signed up for in June? Seems like a long time away. A worry for another day, I suppose.

Meanwhile, client interest in our suite for FCC games is at an all time high. I'm hosting on May 11, and have plenty of clients already on board for that.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 07:21:32 AM »

If the hitting comes around, the Reds will actually be mediocre this year.  Just everybody coming out hitting like crap is really just bad luck. 

That said, I still watched women's tennis and the NIT final last night rather than the Reds game.  Sloane Stephens and Ajla Tomljanovich.  It was a good match!  And I knew the Reds would fuck it up anyway, which they did.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2019, 11:24:04 PM »

And I knew the Reds would fuck it up anyway, which they did.
And they did again tonight. 3rd time shut out, first this happened since 1989, yes 30 years ago, and yes this is how bad it is right now.

Incidentally, I love watching tennis too. Watched the Miami Open here and there.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2019, 12:04:34 AM »

Is it me, or is David Bell a really shitty manager?

I donít have a problem with Votto batting first, per se.  Or really anywhere else.  But pickup a lineup and batting order and stick with it. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2019, 10:40:29 PM »

Reds swept by the Dodgers. <sigh>

Seemingly settling into last place comfortably indeed.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2019, 11:00:11 PM »

Reds still in last place, but showing signs of life. Darn that they lose tonight at the Mets in extra innings... What is wrong with closer Iglesias, so reliable in 17-18?

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2019, 02:58:36 PM »

I would guess nothing is wrong with Iglesias. 

Iglesias has always been a little over-rated, IMO.  He walks a few too many, and he gives up too many flyballs in a bad park to give up flyballs.  TBF, that's the case with a shit-ton of closers.  Iglesias is a perfectly fine, generally reliable, better-than-average closer.  If you have him, there's no need to spend a bunch of money trying to improve that position.

I'm just saying, he's not at the level where a few blown saves should make anyone think he's injured or something drastic has happened.  Naw... he's just a very good but not great closer, and very good but not great closers will inexplicably suck for stretches.  Something goes off with their mechanics, they suck for a bit, they figure it out, and then it's like nothing ever happened the whole rest of the season.

Team looks better without Kemp in the lineup.  Hopefully his injury is worse than they thought.  Now you just have to hope Schlebler runs into a wall.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2019, 03:33:38 PM »

senzel is supposed to come up i guess this weekend which will mean schebby gets sent down.  if that's an option
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2019, 04:00:05 PM »

It doesn't make sense to send Schebler down, actually.  It's not like he just needs some AAA seasoning and he'll get better.  This is all he is and will ever be.  He's a crappy bat off the bench.  He just shouldn't be starting.

They will probably send down Ervin, who probably could use the everyday AB's.  Or one of their shitty relievers.  Or DFA Zach Duke.  DFA Puig and Kemp while you're at it.  Derek Dietrich can go.  They are carrying three shitty catchers, any one of them can go.  There are basically like 15 spots on the 25 man roster that are useless.

They had ONE really good prospect and ONE really good, tradeable player nearing the end of his contract.  They happen to play the same position.  So common sense dictates you trade Gennett and that frees up a position for Senzel, and you get back an outfield prospect in return so now you have TWO good prospects and someone to play OF instead of a faded, over-priced vet.

People are going to criticize the Reds for the moves they made in the offseason.  But none of those moves really hurt them.  It's the moves they didn't make at the trade deadline to build a core.  In the offseason all they did was throw some money at some dudes like why not?  It looked impressive, but it really didn't help or hurt them that much at all.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2019, 10:47:21 PM »

So the Reds beat the Mets 1-0 last night, and then turn right back around, and lose 1-0 today, by a home run of the opposing pitcher, who incidentally then goes 9 innings to end the affair. Wow.

Reds starting pitching has been a pleasant surprise.

OTOH, the power drop-off of Joey Votto has become a major concern. I mean, the guy has 5, count them, 5 RBIs to date, 6 weeks into the season. I love the guy, but wow.... The Enquirer's sport columnist, Doc, had a write-up about it a few days ago, and looked at Votto's astonishing power drop-off after the 2017 season (when Votto finished 2nd in the league's MVP vote). Look, there isn't a guy more dedicated to the game than Votto, and nobody will ever question that or his character. He is probably harder on himself than anyone of us is on him. But he also makes a guaranteed $25 mill. a year, and for the next 4 1/2 years (through 2023 when he will be 40). Unless he can turn this around, what do you do with a guy like that? I'm thinking you ride it our as long as you can, perhaps over the next 2 years, and then make him a part of the Reds coaching or front-office team. I mean, he's a legend here, and nobody wishes a single bad thing for the guy. And I think he's a major league manager in the making.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2019, 01:49:37 PM »

It was DeGrom and Syndergaard so you can't really fault the Reds too much.  I would look at those two 1-0 games as a positive sign as to how good their pitching has been.  And a split is really not too bad overall.  It's all the other games where the Reds can't hit for shit that's the problem.

The time to do something about Votto was three years ago.  As it is... like you said, no one works harder than he does, he's just getting old.  You can't trade him now, because the fans would revolt and besides you wouldn't get that much for him.  And even if he sucks for the rest of the contract (but I think he still has a bit left in the tank), he was still worth the big signing based on what he has already delivered.  It wasn't his fault the rest of the team that sucked.

Votto strikes me as the kind of guy who will want nothing to do with baseball after he retires though.  Just kind of an introverted, thinking dude.  I think he's the kind of guy who when he is playing baseball he gives the game 100% until he feels like he is done, and at that point he'll want to do something else.  Also, he's kind of an introverted guy.  I don't think the idea of lots of press conferences and yelling at players what to do appeals to him.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2019, 11:54:33 PM »

so the Reds were up 8-0 against the Giants, and then lost the game 12-11 in extra innings, wow. I have no words other than they are in, comfortably, in last place in the NL Central... <sigh>

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up