Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Cincinnati Reds 2019  (Read 5959 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: Cincinnati Reds 2019
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2019, 12:45:46 AM »

.250 and 3 HR since July?

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2019, 10:04:48 AM »

poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2019, 02:29:15 AM »

I guess VanMeter has not been freed after all.

Only the Reds could trade Gennett and Puig, and yet still end up with a worse playing time jam than they started with.

I guess the plan is to play Peraza, Aquino, VanMeter, Ervin, Winker, O’Grady?,  One game a week.  That will really help their development. 

Seriously, David Bell is a complete clown. 

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2019, 09:14:22 AM »

david bell be suspendered

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2019, 11:38:35 AM »

Yeah, but I imagine he us still the one determining the lineups.  Not to mention the idiocy that got him suspended in the first place.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2019, 02:05:13 PM »

you mean the pirates?  and he most likely doesn't control who gets traded.  i like how firey he is.  imagine the players like him.  whether that's a good thing or not....  they're at least playing better ball

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2019, 03:41:22 PM »

I'm not talking about the trades.  The trades were actually okay.  I'm talking about the day-to-day lineups.  I also don't think it's any great shakes to manage this Reds team to a .477 record.  If anything, they're underachieving. 

The Pirates were pretty lame throwing at batters. They deserved the suspensions they got for the most part.  But when you try to charge the opposing manager AFTER you've already been tossed out of the game, and the fight started because your reliever basically told you he was going to fight the other team and you let him... that's just stupid.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2019, 10:36:50 PM »

i really don't even know how important a manager is.  it was fun seeing bell coming back from the dugout.  i didn't know garrett told bell he was going to charge their dugout.  what inning was that in?  well, i've always liked colorful managers.  earl weaver was a hoot

but i dunno.  the outfield might be a mess for a minute now.  apparently they've got some bank.  maybe get puig back.  i'd rather ervin get the spot, but who the hell knows if he deserves it.  he's been up long enough to where a decision needs to made

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2019, 11:49:56 PM »

Maybe get Puig back?? What are you talking about? Zero, less than zero, chance of that.

Apparently the Reds picked up a pitcher who was waived by the Brewers, with a terrible record (and ERA) and a $3 mill price tag for the last 2 months. WHY?
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2019, 12:00:58 AM »

I mean, I find Bell pretty entertaining.   I wouldn’t if I were a Reds fan, though.

Gausman pick up wasn’t that bad, euro60.  $3m is chump change in today’s game.  Gausman was a highly touted prospect.  Never developed because he was in the shittiest baseball organization for pitchers.  Then he got traded to the Braves where he was in maybe the best organization, and he pitched well end of last year.  This year, he stinks but lots of failed starters become good relievers.  So that’s what the Reds will try and do.

It’s not really harmful, just kind of pointless.  Because why do the Reds need a good reliever when their pen is solid?  Also, who cares at this point when it seems unlikely the Reds will make the post-season?

I doubt they will go to arbitration and keep Gausman next year, so really they are just training him to be a reliever for some other team.  Maybe they think they can DFA him and get him back?

I dunno. Kinda silly, but not really a big deal.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2019, 09:50:58 AM »

i think they could totally get puig back.  maybe like a two year deal or something.  as for gausmann, peralta needs to be sent down

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2019, 05:14:20 PM »

Yeah, depends on how he finishes out the season but I think you could probably get Puig back on a 2-3 year deal if you wanted him.  But why in the world would you want do something as stupid as that?

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2019, 11:50:54 PM »

But why in the world would you want do something as stupid as that?
You wouldn't and the Reds certainly won't. It was nice having here for 4 months. And that's it.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2019, 11:53:11 PM »

i just have a feeling no one's going to win the other outfield spot and they'll burn some loot on a free agent.  not sure what the market's going to be, but this front office doesn't appear to wait out contention.  i bet they get alex wood as well

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2019, 11:36:21 AM »

Well, that's fair.  I guess my question was rhetorical.  The practical answer of "Because the Reds are idiots" has some truth to it.

If no one is going to win that OF spot then they need to start over.  I mean, they had Puig in the outfield already and the result is a mediocre club. 

But one reason I think the reason why no one will with that OF spot is because no one will get a chance to win it. That's kind of been the problem all along.

I don't really think Peraza is that good, but he definitely had a decent season last year.  He started off bad, and Dietrich and Iglesias were the only two hitting, so he stopped getting playing time.  And I think he has lost his groove and confidence now.  It's possible he's just not that good, but the Reds won't know because they didn't give themselves time to find out.  Instead they played two players who also aren't that good, and won't be around next year.

Then they called up VanMeter and kept him on the bench for weeks.  He starts hitting and everything looks good so they trade Gennett and Puig to create a space for him.  And Ervin who has been stuck in kind of the same predicament.  But no, then they call up Aquino.  So after a long overdue logjam clearance, they immediately create another logjam.

And they're still playing Iglesias at SS, and they were playing Dietrich at 2B before he got hurt.

Shit or get off the pot.  Take the most promising prospects and give them a real run until the end of the season.  If they suck, then send them all back down to AAA and start the season with the guys who didn't get a chance this year.

Like, I'm still amazed that Senzel was moved out of the infield and especially SS where he'd be hugely valuable if he can play it, into CF so the Reds could play the likes of Iglesias, Peraza, and Dietrich and finish .500.  And it's not like they were stuck with bad contracts.  They went out and signed two of those players.  To me, that's just brutally bad management.

I get that VanMeter and Aquino were never that highly rated as prospects.  And that Ervin has disappointed.  So maybe the odds for any of them individually aren't good.  But there's three of them.  Between VanMeter, Aquino, and Ervin at least one of them is probably a legit starter. 

The Reds have three jobs the rest of the season:  Figure out which one of the players they keep juggling in OF and 2B is for real.  Get Winker going.  Fire David Bell.  That is all that matters. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 04:46:13 PM by Zafer Kaya »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up