Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Cincinnati Reds 2019  (Read 2014 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: Cincinnati Reds 2019
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2019, 12:07:26 AM »

Yeah, that was a brutal loss.

Votto went 0-6 leading off, and Iglesias blew another one.  I suspect there will be a lot of kvetching over that.  And also why Bell pulled his starter after 5 innings and up 8 runs.  Or why Atephenson did not pitch.

But honestly, asking your bullpen to pitch a a game with a collective ERA under 9.00 is not a big ask.  And the pen has been good all year.  There was no reason to expect them to be bad, and certainly not ridiculously awful.

On any other night, they probably could have picked four position players to throw one inning each and still won.
Just one of those fluke-y things, but it still hurts.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2019, 10:25:58 PM »

and another one!  we went to the game today.  first game in like five years or something.  went to a bats game a couple weeks ago.  we missed every dinger

luis looked good outside that fart in the sixth.  showed good composure not getting fazed after coughing up the lead.  t'ain't looking good
poach eggs, not elephants

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2019, 10:31:33 PM »

Just amazing...

And like I said a while ago, the Reds are comfortably settling into last place of the NL Central <sigh>
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2019, 12:41:28 AM »

The difference in talent between this years last place Reds and last year is immense, though.I honestly think the only difference between the Reds being 14-20 vs 17-17 is David Bell.  God, that guy sucks.

OTOH, is there really a huge difference between .500 and .450, or in the cellar by a game or two vs just out of the cellar by a game or two?

Baseball mediocrity is its own special hell, often more frustrating than just outright sucking.  The Reds on a good day when the hitting and pitching are on, are completely capable of destroying the Dodgers by 6 runs.  On a bad day, they can lose to the Marlins by 3 or 4 runs.  And on a typical day, they are just good enough to keep it competitive but not good enough to consistently win. 

Itís hard to come up with a way to even improve the team, because while no one is good, no one is really bad, either.

I was thinking about picking up Vanmeter for my fantasy team today, but then I was like... where does he play?  Winker, Puig, Senzel in OF.  Suarez at 3B.  Gennett returning to play 2B soon, but until then you have to find a way to play Dietrich and then even beyond that you probably need to see if Peraza can turn things around.  So one of the most putrid offenses in baseball to date legitimately does not have a place to play the hottest AAA hitter in the country.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2019, 09:29:03 AM »

they say it's a good problem to have

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2019, 12:30:12 PM »

If you have a lousy team and you are trying to find space for a lousy prospect, then it's a lousy problem to have.

If you have a great team and you are trying to find space for a great prospect, it's a great problem to have. 

If you have a mediocre offense and are trying to find space for a mediocre prospect.  That's a mediocre problem to have.

The Reds have a mediocre problem.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2019, 10:57:28 PM »

Reds won in dramatic fashion against the Cubs tonight, 6-5. Sadly they are still way, way back in last place. In fact, the only team below .500 in the NL Central. Yea, that is how tough that division is.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2019, 02:58:31 PM »

that staff has carried them almost single handedly to twenty wins.  this fuckin offense better wake up.  watch out central.  of course what always happens is that we start losing 12-8 slugfests.  i don't think optimism is allowed in cincinnati sports 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2019, 10:57:24 PM »

Reds are playing better, BUT why does it seems that they win by bit margins, and then to lose by a small margin

All that aside, last night's game (with Dietrich's 3 home runs, and Sims, just called up from Louisvile, and DEALING) was fun to watch.

Reality check: Reds are still in last place in the NL Central <sigh>

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2019, 11:10:37 PM »

Every time you think the Reds are going to crawl back to .500 and/or out of last place, they don't yet again. Witness tonight's loss at Cleveland, a game they by all means should've won. <sigh> I'm trying to be hopeful, and the Reds' stats are not that bad, but they just don't translate into wins...

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2019, 12:50:50 AM »

Itís just an artificial line in your head.  Whatís the difference between .500 and .495?  Just a bit of luck.

The Reds should probably be .500, or even above.  Third place in the NL Central gets you nowhere though.  I actually prefer knowing the team has the talent to be .5000 but will get a better draft pick than they deserve and have the chance to improve next year.

Winker situation is getting a little worrisome though.  I thought he had turned it around a couple weeks ago, but now he is stinking it up again.  The power still seems to come only in short (albeit impressive) busts, and his OBP skills have gone from off-the-charts to merely pretty good.  Thatís not going to cut it for an OF.  Also, he remains helpless against lefties. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2019, 11:32:36 PM »

The Reds are as of today 7 games under .500 and tied for last place, although the "least worst" team that is in last place. Does that give me any comfort? None.

Case in point: I'm slated to host our firm's corporate suite at GABP with clients on Sunday, June 30 (yes, only 2 weeks from today) As of now, I have NOT A SINGLE CLIENT that I have invited (and I have invited many) to attend the game. I mean, I'm getting desperate now. ZK, you wanna come up from Richmond and attend? I'm sure I could call you a "potential client" or some such, Yea, it's that bad. And mind you, it's the only suite game I am hosting this year (cutting down from 2 last year, and 3 or 4 in the years before).

I see ZERO interest among our clients to attend a Reds game, in a corporate suite no less, with free food and unlimited drinks. What does that tell you? <sigh>

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2019, 11:05:07 PM »

i'll do it euro as long as you drive me home.  don't worry about me, i can get there alright

a two game win streak! 

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2019, 11:01:20 PM »

three in a row! 

granted the 'stros are without multiple all stars and coulda won both.  it was a man's win.  garrett stumbles and iggy and lorenzen lights em out.  it's gotta be one of the best pens in the league.  a marvelous collection of failed starters.  and the bench has also got to be amongst the best as well.  so essentially the only reason the reds are just beyond middling is because they're forced to resort to those folk more often than, i imagine, they'd like

i think the offense will come around, just frustrating.  and it's not like i'm the only one who thought this team could be a dark horse.  i can't be

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2019, 11:53:09 PM »

They do have an excellent pen.

Although not to burst your bubble but a last place team with an awesome bullpen is pretty good indication that your GM sucks. Even more true when the strength of the pen is itís depth rather than quality.  Itís the least important, most fungible part of a team and completely useless when your team is bad.  So your FO prioritized poorly and/or you wasted a lot of draft picks or potential trades on starting prospects who failed.

They could still deal from a position of strength and trade Iglesias.  They wonít, but they should.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up