Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random film thoughts  (Read 77731 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Re: Random film thoughts
« Reply #975 on: November 21, 2019, 09:27:13 AM »

My recollection of the 90 minute cassette tapes was...oh, 90 minutes!
One CD was like 70 or 80 minutes, wasn't it?

Nope, I would generally dub two CDs to one tape for play in my car in the early days before I could afford a CD player.  There would usually be 5-7 minutes of blank at the end of each side.  I will eternally think of certain albums as being linked together because I had them on flip sides of the same cassette.  Sting's Ten Summoner's Tales and Duran Duran's Wedding album, and Gin Blossoms' New Miserable Experience and Counting Crows' August and Everything After are two examples.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #976 on: December 02, 2019, 03:16:06 PM »

I'm really looking forward to The Irishman, fortunately I have Netflix and I'lll wait. What did you think of the CGI de-aging? I'm holding out judgement, I mean, they couldn't exactly get younger actors to play them as everyone knows what they looked like way back but still, something doesn't sit right with me about it.

If De Niro can play a young Brando in THE GODFATHER II, they can find find someone to play a younger De Niro.

The CGI stuff totally took me out of the movie. Especially the blue-eye crap with De Niro.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Paco

• Tourist
« Reply #977 on: December 02, 2019, 03:57:19 PM »

I'm really looking forward to The Irishman, fortunately I have Netflix and I'lll wait. What did you think of the CGI de-aging? I'm holding out judgement, I mean, they couldn't exactly get younger actors to play them as everyone knows what they looked like way back but still, something doesn't sit right with me about it.

If De Niro can play a young Brando in THE GODFATHER II, they can find find someone to play a younger De Niro.

The CGI stuff totally took me out of the movie. Especially the blue-eye crap with De Niro.

Watched it over the weekend and while I like it a lot, yeah, I agree with you.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #978 on: December 02, 2019, 04:27:49 PM »

Watched it over the weekend and while I like it a lot, yeah, I agree with you.

I think Joe Pesci was the only thing I actually liked about the movie. Luckily, I liked him a whole heap.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #979 on: December 02, 2019, 04:57:03 PM »

I am definitely not understanding the hype for the Irishman.

It just feels to me like everyone is running on auto-pilot.  Pesci, De Niro, and Pacino are exactly how you'd expect them to be.  It's like a bunch of people who could make a mob movie in their sleep... did.  Everyone's too good for it to be bad, but they've also too good at their best for me to care about a 75% effort. 

It's not the length of the movie, it's just fucking boring.  Like, why would I watch 3 1/2 hours of the Irishman when I could watch 6 hours of Godfather I and II? 

The CGI bothered me less than the fact that those actors were chosen in the first place.  I was able to buy that the CGI-enhanced Pacino was a younger Pacino.  What I was unable to buy was that Pacino was Hoffa.  It's Pacino playing Pacino, DeNiro playing DeNiro, and Pesci playing a slight variant of Pesci, and Scorsese doing Scorsese.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #980 on: December 03, 2019, 08:35:53 AM »

What I was unable to buy was that Pacino was Hoffa.  It's Pacino playing Pacino, DeNiro playing DeNiro, and Pesci playing a slight variant of Pesci, and Scorsese doing Scorsese.

ALL OF THIS, except I really did think that Pesci did a lot by doing less (for a change).

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #981 on: December 03, 2019, 09:31:39 AM »

Into the unknowwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnn.... into the unkoooooooowwwooooooooooowwwwnnnnnnn....

This will be life for the next year or so....

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #982 on: December 03, 2019, 10:47:19 AM »

What I was unable to buy was that Pacino was Hoffa.  It's Pacino playing Pacino, DeNiro playing DeNiro, and Pesci playing a slight variant of Pesci, and Scorsese doing Scorsese.

ALL OF THIS, except I really did think that Pesci did a lot by doing less (for a change).

Yeah, of the three I would would have been fine with Pesci if it had just been him in that movie without the other two.  He's actually playing against type a bit by not being the crazywhacky one, and he plays his role properly both historically (Russell Bufalino being famous tight lipped and not well-known) and functionally as a supporting actor. 

It's not really his fault, I guess.  But still when you put him, DeNiro, Scorsese, and Pacino together it just feels like cruise control, and with the two main actors basically making zero effort to play anyone other than themselves it drags Pesci down with them.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #983 on: December 03, 2019, 11:29:09 AM »

Into the unknowwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnn.... into the unkoooooooowwwooooooooooowwwwnnnnnnn....

But it is that THIRD "unknooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnn" that will shattering eardrums all around the world as many, MANY unqualified singers try to hit those notes. YEESH.

Paco

• Tourist
« Reply #984 on: December 03, 2019, 06:44:38 PM »

What made me cringe during the Irishman was seeing Deniro curb stomping the guy, quite obviously moving like a 70+ year old man. I was waiting for him to break a hip. No amount of CGI is going to fix that. Time for a body double?

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #985 on: December 04, 2019, 08:33:33 AM »

What made me cringe during the Irishman was seeing Deniro curb stomping the guy, quite obviously moving like a 70+ year old man. I was waiting for him to break a hip. No amount of CGI is going to fix that. Time for a body double?
I chuckled at that scene and I should not have.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #986 on: December 04, 2019, 11:00:35 AM »

But it is that THIRD "unknooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnn" that will shattering eardrums all around the world as many, MANY unqualified singers try to hit those notes. YEESH.

You mean like a ten year old girl?

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #987 on: January 13, 2020, 01:22:19 PM »

The Oscar nominations are out:

https://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/2020

All of this is pretty much in line with expectations (for me anyway). "Too white and too male", so what's new?
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66]   Go Up