Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2019  (Read 11110 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2019
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 10:38:51 PM »

C-lando, can't tell from your comment whether you liked On the Basis of Sex or not.

I thought it was a poor movie, period. Fabulous subject not done justice by this movie. Last year's documentary RBG is MILES better.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 08:56:21 AM »

C-lando, can't tell from your comment whether you liked On the Basis of Sex or not.

I thought it was a poor movie, period. Fabulous subject not done justice by this movie. Last year's documentary RBG is MILES better.
It was nice. Safe. Entertaining.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 10:02:32 AM »

So, like a 6?  Or maybe a 7?

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 10:30:11 AM »

So, like a 6?  Or maybe a 7?
You're dead, Hobo.
You're so dead.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 04:37:01 PM »

For me, Andy McKay's previous movie, "The Big Short", is MILES better.

I didn't know Adam McKay went by Andy...
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 12:35:15 AM »

exactly... nice, safe.. "RBG" was so much better
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 07:49:31 PM by euro60 »
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 12:58:13 PM »

New to me movies in bold

1. Vice
2. The Man Who Knew Too Little
3. Michael Jackson’s This Is It
Can’t condone the sexual molestation allegations, but there’s no doubt that the work put into putting together Wacko’s London shows was immense. 
4. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Meh, I watched the entirety of this Coen opus hoping it would get better, or at least one story would entertain. It didn’t. Boooooooooo
5. My Generation
Michael Caine produced and presented documentary about London’s “Swinging Sixties”. Worth it to see Jean Shripton and Twiggy in their prime, but the whole thing disappoints due to far too much quick cut editing that left me breathless at times.
6. Quincy
Great documentary about a phenomenal music icon. So much to like and admire here. What a life/career!
7. Root Cause
Disturbing documentary suggesting that some people’s general illnesses may be result of them submitting to root canal surgery. Certainly made ME think twice
8. Swinging with the Finkels
British Dumb-Com
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 06:47:25 PM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 07:07:51 PM »

a new year!
i have also been mining the movie thread for ideas. thanks to all of you!

1. mowgli - netflix; it was ok, found it difficult to get into it, probably because i grew up on the disney animated version. this is nothing like disney at all.
2. cargo - netflix; aussie zombie movie with martin freeman as the father trying to survive the "ghosts". interesting take on the zombie genre.
3. jurassic park - hbo; the dino's are still great. the plot holes get worse with age.
4. jurassic park 2 - hbo; recorded a bunch of movies during a free weekend. this was one of them. not sure why i watched it again.
5. jurassic park 3 - hbo; not a bad watch on a crappy, cold, and rainy morning.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 10:15:17 PM »

Movies seen in 2019 (new movies in bold):
1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Twister
3. Super Troopers 2
4. A Quiet Place
5. The Untouchables
6. Solo: A Star Wars Story
7. Rabbit-Proof Fence

8. Shine

Super Troopers 2: still very funny on 2nd watch, although I realized how juvenile some of the humor is. Nonetheless, I loved it.

A Quiet Place: Good enough. Too many plot holes or weird things (where did they get a billion candles from?) that didn't make sense but I understand why it was well liked.

Untouchables: mildly disappointing for such a star studded production.

Solo: mildly disappointing in most elements. In the opening sequence it was really dark and I (for some reason I cannot explain) thought the female interest of Han's was a black woman. So I thought, "awesome! Diversity is good here." And then later I am like, "Is that Emilia Clarke?" And after that I was disappointed. Not that Ms. Clarke wasn't wonderful, but that the casting department wasn't bolder. I would also have liked it if the work he was doing wasn't tied to the rebellion eventually. Just leave it alone, you know? And the giant living squid thing in the outer space cloud made no sense whatsoever.

Rabbit-Proof Fence: good! Very horrible, very incredible. I really liked the way they said the word "tracker."

Shine: Saw this in 1998, but not since then. The music and the acting are still incredible. The dad is still horrible.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 08:58:37 AM »

1. ALWAYS IN THE CARLYLE - 01/02/19 - STARZ - A captivating documentary that wisely spends more time on the tenured staff and glorious interior of the legendary hotel than on the antics of its famed guests. Light and lovely.
2. ON THE BASIS OF SEX - 01/06/19 - Tara Cinemas - Armie Hammer can GET IT.
3. VICE - 01/08/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - Bale's performance was incredible, but I didn't really enjoy much more than that. I didn't like the narrator device for telling the story and didn't like the pacing of film. It was all over the place and too "winky-winky did you see what we did there?" for me.
4. BOOMERANG - 01/12/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Haven't seen this in a long time but still remember every word and every song. Excited to see what Lena Waithe and Halle Berry do with this for TV. "CO-OOOOOOOOOOOOOORDINATE."

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2019, 10:58:23 AM »

And the giant living squid thing in the outer space cloud made no sense whatsoever.

Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 07:25:55 AM »

1. Shirkers (Netflix) - 9
2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8

4. First Reformed (Amazon Prime) - 5

I kinda hated the last half of this movie, but Ethan Hawke acted the shit out of it, so there's that.

5. Minding the Gap (Hulu) - 8

Sneaky good. Go in expecting a certain kind of documentary and the real subject matter sort of creeps up on you. It is ostensibly about the skateboarding community in Rockford, Illinois and remains about them while talking about something much more serious.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2019, 05:15:50 PM »

Per the usual, slow start to the new year...

Recapping the first half of January:

1. Vice (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
2. Bumblebee (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
3. Escape Room (Kenwood Theater)
4. King In the Wilderness (HBO on Demand)
5. On The Basis of Sex (Mariemont Theater)
6. If Beale Street Could Talk (Esquire Theater)
7. Bright Lights: Starring Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher (HBO on Demand)

I went to see Bumblebee only because its critical acclaim has been massive. Turns out, I quite enjoyed it. Basically "ET-meets-Herbie".

If Beale Street Could Talk is the new movie from Oscar-winning director Barry "Moonlight" Jenkins. There are many good elements in the movie, but sadly it is also irretrievably flawed by depicting all white people, yes I said ALL white people, as thieves, liars and racists.  "They haven't met anyone they won't lie to or steal from" (the main character's dad talking about white people). Last Fall's "The Hate U Give" went with more or less the same generalization. The mere fact that I mention all of this probably makes me a racist <sigh>

Bright Lights is an unexpectedly enjoyable documentary about the relationship between (mother) Debbie Reynolds and (daughter) Carrie Fisher. The fact that they both passed away within 24 hrs. of each other at the tail end of 2016 makes this even more poignant.

King in the Wilderness is an excellent documentary about MLK's last 18-24 months, with a lot of rare or never before seen footage.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2019, 10:07:06 AM »

1. ALWAYS IN THE CARLYLE - 01/02/19 - STARZ - A captivating documentary that wisely spends more time on the tenured staff and glorious interior of the legendary hotel than on the antics of its famed guests. Light and lovely.
2. ON THE BASIS OF SEX - 01/06/19 - Tara Cinemas - Armie Hammer can GET IT.
3. VICE - 01/08/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - Bale's performance was incredible, but I didn't really enjoy much more than that. I didn't like the narrator device for telling the story and didn't like the pacing of film. It was all over the place and too "winky-winky did you see what we did there?" for me.
4. BOOMERANG - 01/12/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Haven't seen this in a long time but still remember every word and every song. Excited to see what Lena Waithe and Halle Berry do with this for TV. "CO-OOOOOOOOOOOOOORDINATE."
5. IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK - 01/15/19 - AMC Parkway Pointe w/va_vacious - A beautiful tragedy. After that family gathering scene, I'm ready to finally read some Baldwin.
6. FREE SOLO - 01/19/19 - AMC Barrett Commons - Now that was a fun ride! I didn't get to see it in IMAX but still felt like it was a wonderful film experience.
7. GLASS - 01/20/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Gwynne and Beth - I fell asleep MULTIPLE times. Nothing about this movie seemed necessary or entertaining.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 12:24:34 PM by c-lando »

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2019, 10:43:05 AM »

1. Shirkers (Netflix) - 9
2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
4. First Reformed (Amazon Prime) - 5
5. Minding the Gap (Hulu) - 8

6. If Beale Street Could Talk - 9

Another outstanding Barry Jenkins film.  The opening 40 minutes or so was so well done, the living room scene was one of my favorite scenes I've seen in the past few years.

I have to take issue with the characterization by the film of all white people as racist.  The film doesn't characterize ALL white people like that at all.  One character says that.  He is verbalizing dialogue from the book.  There are maybe 5 white people in the movie... 2 of them are caricatures, while 3 others are at the very least neutral if not sympathetic.  Just because a character says a line of dialogue doesn't mean the entire movie shares the point of view.  Seems fair to me.  I feel like there have been dozens if not hundreds of movies over the years that spotlight the white POV, way of life, while demonizing minorities.  I really don't feel like this movie does that unfairly.  It demonizes those who deserve it, in this case, not an entire race unfairly.

The performances in this are top-notch.  Highly recommended.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up