Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2019  (Read 12486 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
50 Movies in 2019
« on: January 03, 2019, 08:12:21 AM »

1. ALWAYS IN THE CARLYLE - 01/02/19 - STARZ - A captivating documentary that wisely spends more time on the tenured staff and glorious interior of the legendary hotel than on the antics of its famed guests. Light and lovely.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 10:51:30 AM »

Movies seen in 2019 (new movies in bold):
1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Twister

SotD: I think Zombie Comedy should be a category. And it should be renamed Zombedy.

Twister: the science in this movie is painfully terrible, and yet everything I know about tornadoes comes from this movie. Maybe I need to take a tornado class.

ALSO - if you're holding onto a cellar door that is trying to be ripped open by the wind, and the wind is stronger than you, do you continue to hold onto the door? In what world does that happen?!? IT DOESN'T! The laws of physics don't allow you to!

In reality, her dad doesn't die in the first scene and the rest of the movie doesn't happen.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 11:56:36 AM »

I have often thought that someone should come up with a web series that is basically here is a really popular movie and how it would be over in 4 minutes if everyone wasn't an idiot.

Or while I watch movies, I think how much shorter the movie would be if they didn't decide to throw nonsensical road blocks in the way.

Like DIE HARD.  In the first half, McClane gets on the radio with the local authorities, but some lady gets on there and says "this is for official business only", then they send Mr. Winslow out there to check everything out, and his slow ass prolongs the movie needlessly by AT LEAST a half hour.

Or RALPH BREAKS THE INTERNET.  There is a whole plot in there about how the SUGAR RUSH game gets broken and they have to find some unfindable part in order to fix it to keep the game from getting unplugged permanently.  Not giving anything away there.  As it turns out, this whole subplot is ABSOLUTELY UNNECESSARY, and it is nearly presented as a throwaway just to keep certain threads going and introduce certain characters you could've easily gotten to in other ways.

Or basically any supervilliain movie where they just chat on, or someone holds a gun on someone else and just CAN'T pull the god damn trigger for reasons.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 01:13:37 PM »

Every single sports movie can be boiled down into an opening scene, a five minute montage of training scenes/highlights and then the climactic final scene.  That's like every Rocky movie.

Also, Star Wars is essentially the Rocky franchise.  Luke is Rocky Balboa.  Darth Vader is Apollo Creed.  The Emperor is Ivan Drago.  Rey is Adonis Johnson.  Kylo Ren is Viktor Drago.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 07:32:27 AM »

1. Shirkers (Netflix) - 9

Outstanding documentary about some girls in a very closed up Singapore who decide they're going to try to bust it open by making an independent feature film.  What happens along the way is both heartbreaking and uplifting.  Yeah, that's really cliched, but I was near tears by the end, which is HARD to do to me.

What would make it particularly good viewing for this audience is that it's about indie culture and zine culture of the late 80's and early 90's, and what the absolute craving and need to express yourself creatively will lead people to do... and how it gets magnified by being in a society so uptight that it banned chewing gum (for real).  Do yourself a favor and watch it without learning too much more about it... even the Netflix description is too spoilery.

Not to mention that the style and storytelling of the documentary itself is top-notch... it comes through that the filmmaker has basically been waiting 25 years to tell this story to its fullest.  And she makes the most of it.

This is going to be hard to top, coming out of the gate strong this year!

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 10:23:20 PM »

I waited until late December to go to the cinema for the only time in 2018. To mix things up in 2019, my very first movie is... at the cinema! Watch this space as to whether I continue this trend, but finding out I can bimble across the river on Tuesdays and watch a flick for just $5 is perhaps ..... perhaps .... a game changer.

New to me movies in bold

1. Vice
Oddly captivating, certainly unconventional in its delivery, this movie about Dubya’s very own Dark Knight (see what I did there?) almost makes you wish for less successful heart healthcare in America. But for the repeated intervention of a decent cardiologist, the US might now be in a much better position. Whilst the content raised my political ire, it also made me laugh out very loud several times.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 03:21:26 PM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 10:49:21 PM »

As to "Vice", I quite enjoyed it, and Christian Bale is utterly brilliant, BUT.... what is the point of the movie exactly? Still haven't figured that out.

For me, Andy McKay's previous movie, "The Big Short", is MILES better.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 07:04:22 AM »

1. Shirkers (Netflix) - 9

2. Blockers - 6

Funny, formulaic.  Enjoyed it more than I thought, honestly.

3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8

Very good, even when it went into caricature it was believable.  Seemed at least a bit authentic, although I have honestly no way of knowing for sure.  2 out of 3 movies I've seen in 2019 focused on Singapore, so that's odd.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 11:38:30 AM »

2. Blockers - 6

Funny, formulaic.  Enjoyed it more than I thought, honestly.

In brevity there is brilliance. I couldn't have written a better and more accurate review than this.

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 02:38:24 PM »

what is the point of the movie exactly?

Huh?

What’s the point of ANY movie?
Opulence. I has it.

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 03:19:14 PM »

New to me movies in bold

1. Vice
2. The Man Who Knew Too Little
Underrated Bill Murray movie (IMHO). Supporting cast of mainly British ‘known’ actors, including a young Eddie Marsden. Plus, for the absolute win, Joanne Whalley in a revealing and somewhat becoming maid’s outfit.
Opulence. I has it.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 09:32:39 PM »

a new year!

it was heartening to read that one of you fine folks enjoyed train to busan, that i recommended. i have also been mining the movie thread for ideas. thanks to all of you!

the new girlfriend is sharing her netflix with me, so that's something!

1. mowgli - netflix; it was ok, found it difficult to get into it, probably because i grew up on the disney animated version. this is nothing like disney at all.
2. cargo - netflix; aussie zombie movie with martin freeman as the father trying to survive the "ghosts". interesting take on the zombie genre.
3. jurassic park - hbo; the dino's are still great. the plot holes get worse with age.
4. jurassic park 2 - hbo; recorded a bunch of movies during a free weekend. this was one of them. not sure why i watched it again.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 06:48:53 AM »

a new year!

it was heartening to read that one of you fine folks enjoyed train to busan, that i recommended. i have also been mining the movie thread for ideas. thanks to all of you!

the new girlfriend is sharing her netflix with me, so that's something!

I watched Train to Busan like mid-year last year and also enjoyed it.  A zombie movie in a truly Korean style.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 09:04:08 AM »

1. ALWAYS IN THE CARLYLE - 01/02/19 - STARZ - A captivating documentary that wisely spends more time on the tenured staff and glorious interior of the legendary hotel than on the antics of its famed guests. Light and lovely.
2. ON THE BASIS OF SEX - 01/06/19 - Tara Cinemas - Armie Hammer can GET IT.
3. VICE - 01/08/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - Bale's performance was incredible, but I didn't really enjoy much more than that. I didn't like the narrator device for telling the story and didn't like the pacing of film. It was all over the place and too "winky-winky did you see what we did there?" for me.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 09:45:15 PM »

Off to a slow start this year, but I'm sure I'll catch up.

1. John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous at Radio City Music Hall- needed something light after Infinity War!
2. Vice  Bale was good, but it was definitely pandering to a specific audience. Also, I thought I'd need heart surgery after all of it!
3. Crazy Rich Asians- needs more Awkwafina.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Up