Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2019  (Read 14579 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2019
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2019, 12:24:05 PM »

6. If Beale Street Could Talk - 9

Another outstanding Barry Jenkins film.  The opening 40 minutes or so was so well done, the living room scene was one of my favorite scenes I've seen in the past few years.
Man, that scene was so good.

Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2019, 05:26:08 PM »

Let's see if I can do this in 2019

1. Christmas Wedding Planner (Netflix)
2. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Alamo Drafthouse)
3. They Shall Not Grow Old (Regal North Hills)
also known as rcc94

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2019, 05:27:33 PM »

a new year!
i have also been mining the movie thread for ideas. thanks to all of you!

1. mowgli - netflix; it was ok, found it difficult to get into it, probably because i grew up on the disney animated version. this is nothing like disney at all.
2. cargo - netflix; aussie zombie movie with martin freeman as the father trying to survive the "ghosts". interesting take on the zombie genre.
3. jurassic park - hbo; the dino's are still great. the plot holes get worse with age.
4. jurassic park 2 - hbo; recorded a bunch of movies during a free weekend. this was one of them. not sure why i watched it again.
5. jurassic park 3 - hbo; not a bad watch on a crappy, cold, and rainy morning.

6. thor: ragnarok - netflix; i liked the extra campiness and humor interjected through the story. goldblum was really good as the crazy leader. filled in some holes i had in the MCU. enjoyed.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2019, 06:54:40 AM »

1. Shirkers (Netflix) - 9
2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
4. First Reformed (Amazon Prime) - 5
5. Minding the Gap (Hulu) - 8

7. Super Troopers - 6

If you watch a comedy that you know is going to be stupid, is it fair to criticize it for being stupid?  The age-old question.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2019, 08:09:20 AM »

2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8

7. Super Troopers - 6

If you watch a comedy that you know is going to be stupid, is it fair to criticize it for being stupid?  The age-old question.

You're stupid. It's a 10. ALL THE WAY.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2019, 08:49:27 AM »

You're stupid. It's a 10. ALL THE WAY.

I probably would've thought so if I saw it when I was 26.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2019, 11:44:16 AM »

Movies seen in 2019 (new movies in bold):
1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Twister
3. Super Troopers 2
4. A Quiet Place
5. The Untouchables
6. Solo: A Star Wars Story
7. Rabbit-Proof Fence

8. Shine
9. The Fugitive
10. The Firm

Saw The Fugitive when it came out, but I'm not sure if I've seen it since then. I had no idea what was going to happen other than the basic plot, and man oh man was that a fun, non-stop, thrill ride. Very impressive.

The Firm: that was fun I guess. I'm indifferent - it wasn't bad or really had any issues. I'm just not sure I cared, either?

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2019, 03:17:18 PM »

You know the other thing I forgot to mention about BEALE STREET was the score.  That was the best score I heard all year.  Really different and great.  I loved it, I would listen to an album of it.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2019, 04:32:27 PM »

You know the other thing I forgot to mention about BEALE STREET was the score.  That was the best score I heard all year.  Really different and great.  I loved it, I would listen to an album of it.
Totally agree! That long tracking shot of them walking with that score was divine.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2019, 06:49:47 AM »

I did listen to the score yesterday.  And... it was the same 2-3 songs over and over with slightly different instrumentation.

But still good.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2019, 09:05:22 AM »

1. ALWAYS IN THE CARLYLE - 01/02/19 - STARZ - A captivating documentary that wisely spends more time on the tenured staff and glorious interior of the legendary hotel than on the antics of its famed guests. Light and lovely.
2. ON THE BASIS OF SEX - 01/06/19 - Tara Cinemas - Armie Hammer can GET IT.
3. VICE - 01/08/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - Bale's performance was incredible, but I didn't really enjoy much more than that. I didn't like the narrator device for telling the story and didn't like the pacing of film. It was all over the place and too "winky-winky did you see what we did there?" for me.
4. BOOMERANG - 01/12/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Haven't seen this in a long time but still remember every word and every song. Excited to see what Lena Waithe and Halle Berry do with this for TV. "CO-OOOOOOOOOOOOOORDINATE."
5. IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK - 01/15/19 - AMC Parkway Pointe w/va_vacious - A beautiful tragedy. After that family gathering scene, I'm ready to finally read some Baldwin.
6. FREE SOLO - 01/19/19 - AMC Barrett Commons - Now that was a fun ride! I didn't get to see it in IMAX but still felt like it was a wonderful film experience.
7. GLASS - 01/20/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Gwynne and Beth - I fell asleep MULTIPLE times. Nothing about this movie seemed necessary or entertaining.
8. BUMBLEBEE - 01/22/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - Probably the most enjoyable of all of the TRANSFORMERS movies, mostly because I didn't hear one mention of the "AllSpark". Also, Pamela Adlon in a TRANSFORMERS MOVIE???!!!! Fun tunes throughout.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2019, 08:31:02 AM »

2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
7. Super Troopers - 6

8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8

I saw some blurbs around this the time it happened.  Turns out, it was even worse and crazier than I thought.  If you like seeing con men get busted, this is the movie for you.

9. Remastered: Massacre at the Stadium (Netflix) - 6

An hour long doc about the murder of Victor Jara during the coup in Chile in 1973.  Could've used a lot more context around what was going on in the country at the time and why Jara was dangerous to the regime.  I mean, I get it... but it seemed rushed.  Not long enough, which is not something I say very often.  And we spend too much time on the red herring of "who's responsible".  It matters to his family, sure, but at the end of the day it was a politically motivated killing at a time of great upheaval.  Would've been far better to spend more time on that and the culture and what it all meant at the time.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2019, 09:33:29 AM »

8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8

I saw some blurbs around this the time it happened.  Turns out, it was even worse and crazier than I thought.  If you like seeing con men get busted, this is the movie for you.

Friends were telling me this weekend that the Hulu doc is even better, so you should check that out too if you can.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2019, 09:42:42 AM »

8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8

Friends were telling me this weekend that the Hulu doc is even better, so you should check that out too if you can.

I understand this one was about what happened and the Hulu is more about the "Why"?  Plus the Hulu one has an interview with the mastermind.  He is a smirking piece of shit, so I'm not sure I could stomach it.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2019, 08:56:52 PM »

New to me movies in bold

1. Vice
2. The Man Who Knew Too Little
3. Michael Jackson’s This Is It
4. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
5. My Generation
6. Quincy
7. Root Cause
8. Swinging with the Finkels
9. That's Life!
Gave this old Julie Andrews and Jack Lemmon comedrama another whirl. A few killer lines but otherwise hadn't stood the test of time at all.
10. Bobby Robson: More than a Manager
Nicely done documentary about one of the finest football managers England has ever produced. As the title suggests he was a wonderful human being as well as being something of a master tactician and people motivator. But for Maradona's cheating "hand of god" moment he could well have propelled England to its second World Cup. I don't believe football managers of his kind exist anymore, the beautiful game having 'moved on'.
11. Drinking Buddles
My finger hesitated over the stop button for the entirety of this sub-par "relationships, who needs them" dramedy. The kind of film I promised myself I wouldn't waste time on this year. Still did. More fool me. I blame the inclusion of Anna Kendrick.
12. Fyre
13. Fyre Fraud
On a bad weather/flu'd up MLK Day, we decided to watch these back to back. Amazed that McFarland only got 6 years imprisonment, equally amazed that others around him got off scott free. (JaRule for one). Disappointed that I never got to see more entitled rich fucks - and those culpable fuckwitted 'influencers' - at the end of their tether and suffering great discomfort from the neanderthal surroundings they flew in to. The Netflix doc comes off better than the Hulu one, but they both have their interesting takes. I did not find out until afterwards that "Fyre" was actually put together by McFarland's associate social media mavens; "Fuck Jerry", which explains why he smells a little sweeter in it than in the Hulu doc, where he is interviewed and comes across as THE smarmiest son-of-a-cunt whose face you want to punch with all your might. This whole story falls into the category of "more money than sense" and I have so little sympathy for those taken in by the promises. Except the local Bahamians who, it seems, did all the on-site hard work and got royally shafted. If I was one of them I'd be raising money for McFarland to suffer "a little accident" when he eventually gets released from jail.
14. Springsteen on Broadway
I'm glad for the opportunity to see this, so thank you Netflix. A few friends saw it live and came back raving. I know Bruce performed this for many months and he should be admired for that. However, I found it a little 'lacking' in soul. The between-songs banter - a highlight in his regular live gigs - felt incredibly forced here and, at times, he looks suspiciously like he is reading it all via autocue and there's zero spontaneity as a result. Some nice versions of very well known songs and deep cuts from albums I love. Maybe the fact that I can 'see' him 'reading' put me off, so I have ordered the audio set from the library to walk around with to find out if it then feels more 'natural'.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 09:09:01 PM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Up