Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2019  (Read 14406 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2019
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2019, 11:26:22 AM »

Movies seen in 2019 (new movies in bold):
1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Twister
3. Super Troopers 2
4. A Quiet Place
5. The Untouchables
6. Solo: A Star Wars Story
7. Rabbit-Proof Fence

8. Shine
9. The Fugitive
10. The Firm
11. Meru

Meru is a documentary about climbing Mt. Meru in the Himalayas. I watched it because I'm strangely fascinated by mountaineering lately, and also because this was done by the same people who did Free Solo and so I figured it would be quality. It's not as good as Free Solo but it's fascinating nonetheless!

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2019, 12:12:21 AM »

Off to a slow start this year, but I'm sure I'll catch up.

1. John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous at Radio City Music Hall- needed something light after Infinity War!
2. Vice  Bale was good, but it was definitely pandering to a specific audience. Also, I thought I'd need heart surgery after all of it!
3. Crazy Rich Asians- needs more Awkwafina.
4. if Beale Street Could Talk really incredible, and should have been nominated for best picture.
5. Fyre Fraud
6. Justice League well, this was not a good movie, and having the stand alones for Wonder Woman and Aquaman come out after this was a bad plan.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2019, 08:40:11 AM »

1. ALWAYS IN THE CARLYLE - 01/02/19 - STARZ - A captivating documentary that wisely spends more time on the tenured staff and glorious interior of the legendary hotel than on the antics of its famed guests. Light and lovely.
2. ON THE BASIS OF SEX - 01/06/19 - Tara Cinemas - Armie Hammer can GET IT.
3. VICE - 01/08/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - Bale's performance was incredible, but I didn't really enjoy much more than that. I didn't like the narrator device for telling the story and didn't like the pacing of film. It was all over the place and too "winky-winky did you see what we did there?" for me.
4. BOOMERANG - 01/12/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Haven't seen this in a long time but still remember every word and every song. Excited to see what Lena Waithe and Halle Berry do with this for TV. "CO-OOOOOOOOOOOOOORDINATE."
5. IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK - 01/15/19 - AMC Parkway Pointe w/va_vacious - A beautiful tragedy. After that family gathering scene, I'm ready to finally read some Baldwin.
6. FREE SOLO - 01/19/19 - AMC Barrett Commons - Now that was a fun ride! I didn't get to see it in IMAX but still felt like it was a wonderful film experience.
7. GLASS - 01/20/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Gwynne and Beth - I fell asleep MULTIPLE times. Nothing about this movie seemed necessary or entertaining.
8. BUMBLEBEE - 01/22/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - Probably the most enjoyable of all of the TRANSFORMERS movies, mostly because I didn't hear one mention of the "AllSpark". Also, Pamela Adlon in a TRANSFORMERS MOVIE???!!!! Fun tunes throughout.
9. EIGHTH GRADE - 01/26/19 - Amazon Prime - In 8th grade, my best friend quit being friends with me because I wasn't cool enough. I wrote her a poem to try and tell her how much it hurt me and she basically laughed in my face. It was the most devastating break-up of my life. So, yeah. 8th grade sucked. I totally get all of the emotions in this movie. Bonus, that banana scene had me crying with laughter.
10. TULLY - 01/27/19 - HBO - Hug a mom. They probably need it. Diablo Cody's writing doesn't disappoint.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2019, 10:44:46 AM »

Movies seen in 2019 (new movies in bold):
1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Twister
3. Super Troopers 2
4. A Quiet Place
5. The Untouchables
6. Solo: A Star Wars Story
7. Rabbit-Proof Fence

8. Shine
9. The Fugitive
10. The Firm
11. Meru

12. What We Do In The Shadows
13. The Godfather

WWDITS:
"Should we kill them?"
"Let's wait and see if they have any other safety tips first."

The Godfather:
"I CAN'T BE MADE TO LOOK RIDICULOUS!"

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2019, 11:08:13 AM »

The Godfather:
"I CAN'T BE MADE TO LOOK RIDICULOUS!"
I was watching THE GODFATHER with The Greg last night, getting mad at him for getting me sucked into a basic cable version that had commercials.
But, it was worth it when I heard him yell from the living room, "AMC SHOWS BOOBIES?!!!?!?"
Me: "Apollonia's boobies???"
Him: "YES!"

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2019, 12:49:39 PM »

That actress was born in 1954. The film came out in 1972.

You can do the math.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2019, 01:42:58 PM »

That actress was born in 1954. The film came out in 1972.

You can do the math.

Do we have to start doing retro booby age calculations now?
Does it count if I was a minor when I first saw them?

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2019, 05:07:29 PM »

I mean, it's a heck of a scene! I was excited to see it happen, but then I'm always excited to see that happen.
If you think about it, the scene kinda throws you off, though, as there's nothing else in that film with nudity or even sexual elements. It's like someone gave a note to include something sexy and that's what they came up with.

I thought maybe they were trying to point out that Apollonia had never been with anyone prior so it was her first time so there would be a conflict or a point or some sort of issue. But then they cut away and then she blows up a few scenes later. It's like...what was the point of that awkward moment, you know?
(Not complaining, just wondering...)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2019, 09:16:26 PM »

The whole side trip to Italy thing doesnít really work.

I think the idea is supposed to be that Michael is not really all the way in.  He just did what he did prior to that for the family.  But then seeing the culture and history and all the violence awakens the mafioso in him and he comes back ready to kick ass.

Except we never really get that sense, because we never see Michael wrestling with his feelings before, during, or after that trip.  The half an hour is just Michael wandering around with his buddies.  He comes back and Kay is his wife and itís like nothing happened.  It was just a little vacation for him.

Itís done a bit better in the book, but it still a bit huh?

The thing is, in the books, Michaelís trip is the tie in to The Sicilian.  And The Sicilian IMO, is an incredible book that is even better than the Godfather.  So that Italy trip loose end gets tied up in The Sicilian where it is a crucial part of the plot.  And what happens in The Sicilian also explains a great deal about Michael.  And Vito.  Itís basically his first lesson in being a Godfather.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2019, 10:50:23 PM »

4. if Beale Street Could Talk really incredible, and should have been nominated for best picture.

It was ok, but no more than that. Does it not trouble you that not a single white person, not one, is portrayed as not being a racist? (Same as in The Hate U Give")

It didn't deserve an Oscar nomination.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2019, 08:29:41 AM »

It was ok, but no more than that. Does it not trouble you that not a single white person, not one, is portrayed as not being a racist? (Same as in The Hate U Give")

What about the Dave Franco character who is going to lease them the studio?
What about the shop owner who sticks up for them as repeat customers when they get harassed by the cop?

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2019, 09:10:43 AM »

It didn't deserve an Oscar nomination.

Who gives a shit if not a single white person was portrayed as not being a racist?  This movie is not about white people.  It's not for white people.  If you want that, might I point you to something like half a million other films in existence that should tide you over.  I addressed this in an earlier post, also, that your point is wrong in any event.

And this absolutely deserved to be nominated over the whitewashing of GREEN BOOK (which to be fair, I haven't yet seen) or the horrendously manipulative BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2019, 09:15:08 AM »

Who gives a shit if not a single white person was portrayed as not being a racist?  This movie is not about white people.  It's not for white people.  If you want that, might I point you to something like half a million other films in existence that should tide you over.  I addressed this in an earlier post, also, that your point is wrong in any event.

You fixed my post for me.

PRAISE HANDS!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2019, 04:22:52 PM »

I mean, I think a criticism of a movie where all the white people are racist can valid.  Just like when people say all the women just talk about men and relationships, or if all the black people are gangsters.  If the movie is set in modern times, and is supposed to be a somewhat realistic depiction of events or whatever, that's bad.

But how can you not take into account that this is a work of fiction, and the historical and cultural context within which it was written?  In 1974, most white people WERE racist compared to today.  And even if all white people weren't, it's not at all unlikely that in a certain area and given situation, the vast majority of white people a black character might encounter would be.  And addressing social inequalities like racism is the GODDAMN POINT OF THE BOOK.  James Baldwin can't very well get his message across if everyone in the book is just like totally cool and there is no injustice.

At some point, it's like complaining that everyone in the Godfather is an Italian gangster.  Or why are all the black people in Roots slaves?

People who are certain races and behaving certain ways is fine when it is integral to the story.  There's no reason why every superhero has to be white.  There's no reason why female characters can't talk about something other than men or relationships.  If the movie is about a bunch of shallow women, then maybe it's appropriate.  But if it's not, there's no inherent reason why every woman should be shallow.  THAT'S when stereotyping is a problem.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2019, 10:54:10 PM »

As a counterpoint, has anyone seen last year's impressive "Monsters and Men" starring John Washington (son of Danzel, by the way)? It's another movie that makes the same point about race relations like "If Beale Street Could Talk" and "The Hate U Give", but in such a better way.

And I stand by my point that it is not OK to generalize all white people as being racists, which Beale Street and The Hate U Give pretty much do, even if these movies are not intended for me, but targeted to African-American audiences.

As to ZK's point that Beale Street is a movie adaptation of a 1974 book (which I knew), that still doesn't make it right. Yes, racism was rampant then, but not universal, which the film portrays it to be (I have not read the book).
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19   Go Up