Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2019  (Read 14941 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2019
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2019, 08:37:50 AM »

As a counterpoint, has anyone seen last year's impressive "Monsters and Men" starring John Washington (son of Danzel, by the way)? It's another movie that makes the same point about race relations like "If Beale Street Could Talk" and "The Hate U Give", but in such a better way.

And I stand by my point that it is not OK to generalize all white people as being racists, which Beale Street and The Hate U Give pretty much do, even if these movies are not intended for me, but targeted to African-American audiences.

As to ZK's point that Beale Street is a movie adaptation of a 1974 book (which I knew), that still doesn't make it right. Yes, racism was rampant then, but not universal, which the film portrays it to be (I have not read the book).

No it fucking doesn't portray all white people as racists.  One character does literally say "all white people are racist", but that is not depicted in the film.  There are a couple of evil white characters and some that are just normal people.  And as ZK says, it is an adaptation of a book that is largely about social injustice, so what do you want.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2019, 09:34:10 AM »

1. ALWAYS IN THE CARLYLE - 01/02/19 - STARZ - A captivating documentary that wisely spends more time on the tenured staff and glorious interior of the legendary hotel than on the antics of its famed guests. Light and lovely.
2. ON THE BASIS OF SEX - 01/06/19 - Tara Cinemas - Armie Hammer can GET IT.
3. VICE - 01/08/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - Bale's performance was incredible, but I didn't really enjoy much more than that. I didn't like the narrator device for telling the story and didn't like the pacing of film. It was all over the place and too "winky-winky did you see what we did there?" for me.
4. BOOMERANG - 01/12/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Haven't seen this in a long time but still remember every word and every song. Excited to see what Lena Waithe and Halle Berry do with this for TV. "CO-OOOOOOOOOOOOOORDINATE."
5. IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK - 01/15/19 - AMC Parkway Pointe w/va_vacious - A beautiful tragedy. After that family gathering scene, I'm ready to finally read some Baldwin.
6. FREE SOLO - 01/19/19 - AMC Barrett Commons - Now that was a fun ride! I didn't get to see it in IMAX but still felt like it was a wonderful film experience.
7. GLASS - 01/20/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Gwynne and Beth - I fell asleep MULTIPLE times. Nothing about this movie seemed necessary or entertaining.
8. BUMBLEBEE - 01/22/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - Probably the most enjoyable of all of the TRANSFORMERS movies, mostly because I didn't hear one mention of the "AllSpark". Also, Pamela Adlon in a TRANSFORMERS MOVIE???!!!! Fun tunes throughout.
9. EIGHTH GRADE - 01/26/19 - Amazon Prime - In 8th grade, my best friend quit being friends with me because I wasn't cool enough. I wrote her a poem to try and tell her how much it hurt me and she basically laughed in my face. It was the most devastating break-up of my life. So, yeah. 8th grade sucked. I totally get all of the emotions in this movie. Bonus, that banana scene had me crying with laughter.
10. TULLY - 01/27/19 - HBO - Hug a mom. They probably need it. Diablo Cody's writing doesn't disappoint.
11. LEAVE NO TRACE - 01/29/19 - Amazon Prime - The actress who plays Tom should win ALL THE THINGS.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2019, 09:46:44 AM »

1. Shirkers (Netflix) - 9
2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
4. First Reformed (Amazon Prime) - 5
5. Minding the Gap (Hulu) - 8
6. If Beale Street Could Talk - 9
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8
9. Remastered: Massacre at the Stadium (Netflix) - 6

10. Wayne's World

Ed O'Neill is the guy behind the counter at the donut shop.  A new discovery.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2019, 11:07:27 AM »

2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8

10. Wayne's World

Ed O'Neill is the guy behind the counter at the donut shop.  A new discovery.
YES!
I need to re-watch this one and see if every line still just pours outta me.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2019, 11:53:03 AM »

Was it Kierkegaard or Dick Van Patten who said "If you label me, you negate me"?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2019, 10:45:11 PM »

As a counterpoint, has anyone seen last year's impressive "Monsters and Men" starring John Washington (son of Danzel, by the way)? It's another movie that makes the same point about race relations like "If Beale Street Could Talk" and "The Hate U Give", but in such a better way.

And I stand by my point that it is not OK to generalize all white people as being racists, which Beale Street and The Hate U Give pretty much do, even if these movies are not intended for me, but targeted to African-American audiences.

As to ZK's point that Beale Street is a movie adaptation of a 1974 book (which I knew), that still doesn't make it right. Yes, racism was rampant then, but not universal, which the film portrays it to be (I have not read the book).

No it fucking doesn't portray all white people as racists.  One character does literally say "all white people are racist", but that is not depicted in the film.  There are a couple of evil white characters and some that are just normal people.  And as ZK says, it is an adaptation of a book that is largely about social injustice, so what do you want.
We can respectfully agree to disagree.

I would invite/encourage you to see Monsters and Men, and see how that is played out in that movie, as opposed to Beale Street and The Hate U Give, and then let's talk further.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2019, 12:48:41 PM »

Movies seen in 2019 (new movies in bold):
1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Twister
3. Super Troopers 2
4. A Quiet Place
5. The Untouchables
6. Solo: A Star Wars Story
7. Rabbit-Proof Fence

8. Shine
9. The Fugitive
10. The Firm
11. Meru

12. What We Do In The Shadows
13. The Godfather
14. The Incredibles 2
15. Catwalk: Tales from the Cat Show Circuit

Incredibles 2: I think the first movie is a better and more complete movie but this one probably had better gags and jokes. We certainly enjoyed ourselves. Lando (or whoever said it on this website) was right... Jack Jack certainly steals the movie, along with Edna.

Catwalk: Netflix doc about people who take their cats to cat shows in Canada. It's as bonkers and ridiculous as you imagine. They are all bonkers!

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2019, 12:52:16 PM »

1. ALWAYS IN THE CARLYLE - 01/02/19 - STARZ - A captivating documentary that wisely spends more time on the tenured staff and glorious interior of the legendary hotel than on the antics of its famed guests. Light and lovely.
3. VICE - 01/08/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - Bale's performance was incredible, but I didn't really enjoy much more than that. I didn't like the narrator device for telling the story and didn't like the pacing of film. It was all over the place and too "winky-winky did you see what we did there?" for me.
4. BOOMERANG - 01/12/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Haven't seen this in a long time but still remember every word and every song. Excited to see what Lena Waithe and Halle Berry do with this for TV. "CO-OOOOOOOOOOOOOORDINATE."
5. IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK - 01/15/19 - AMC Parkway Pointe w/va_vacious - A beautiful tragedy. After that family gathering scene, I'm ready to finally read some Baldwin.
6. FREE SOLO - 01/19/19 - AMC Barrett Commons - Now that was a fun ride! I didn't get to see it in IMAX but still felt like it was a wonderful film experience.
7. GLASS - 01/20/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Gwynne and Beth - I fell asleep MULTIPLE times. Nothing about this movie seemed necessary or entertaining.
8. BUMBLEBEE - 01/22/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - Probably the most enjoyable of all of the TRANSFORMERS movies, mostly because I didn't hear one mention of the "AllSpark". Also, Pamela Adlon in a TRANSFORMERS MOVIE???!!!! Fun tunes throughout.
9. EIGHTH GRADE - 01/26/19 - Amazon Prime - In 8th grade, my best friend quit being friends with me because I wasn't cool enough. I wrote her a poem to try and tell her how much it hurt me and she basically laughed in my face. It was the most devastating break-up of my life. So, yeah. 8th grade sucked. I totally get all of the emotions in this movie. Bonus, that banana scene had me crying with laughter.
10. TULLY - 01/27/19 - HBO - Hug a mom. They probably need it. Diablo Cody's writing doesn't disappoint.
11. LEAVE NO TRACE - 01/29/19 - Amazon Prime - The actress who plays Tom should win ALL THE THINGS.
12. CHiPs - 01/30/19 - HBO - Yes, it's very dumb. But, I find Dax Shepard and Michael Peña to be very charismatic. So, I was willing to take the ride with them for some crazy car and motorcycle chases and dick jokes.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2019, 12:00:29 PM »

New to me movies in bold

1. Vice
2. The Man Who Knew Too Little
3. Michael Jackson’s This Is It
4. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
5. My Generation
6. Quincy
7. Root Cause
8. Swinging with the Finkels
9. That's Life!
10. Bobby Robson: More than a Manager
11. Drinking Buddles
12. Fyre
13. Fyre Fraud
14. Springsteen on Broadway
ADDING
15. Absinthe: A Documentary
No prizes for guessing what this was about. There _is_ new absinthe, but it’s not old absinthe. Still tasty if you can find a bar who wants to serve it properly
16. The Old Man and the Gun
We watched this more for “Cincinnati-spotting” than anything else (amusing to see Newpert’s Pepper Poo/Pod in one scene). It’s a slow burner that never gets fully alight. And the final 15 minutes were exceptionally preposterous.
17. The Ipcress File
18. Funeral in Berlin
19. Billion Dollar Brain
Inspired after reading Michael Caine’s latest autobiog, I thought I’d reacquaint myself with his “Harry Palmer” output. The first two are excellently done, showcasing exactly how he became a movie star. The final one took a wrong turn and was an overblown piece of nonsense misdirected by Ken Russell.
20. Airborne
Looks like the library got new copies of this Cincy-centric thought-free teens-on-rollerblades “classic” back in, as I’ve been trying order it for a while. Ridiculous numbers of scenes where I knew the location, the final ‘downhill’ race pieced together from all over and around the city. Lots in Newport too, including gratuitous use of “Pompilios” and one scene that was oh so very close to our old home in the East Row. Awful movie, awful acting, awful premise but good fun for place spotting. I will probably watch it again. ‘Cos.
21. Catwalk: Tales from the Cat Show Circuit
As Dan has already said, this full of some very crazy people, including one who is so transparently duplicitous about her rivalry with a fellow cat fancier, it’s ridiculous.
22. The Wrong Arm of the Law
Vintage Peter Sellers comedy/farce about competing sets of villains. Classic British fare.
Opulence. I has it.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2019, 12:38:34 PM »

20. Airborne
Looks like the library got new copies of this Cincy-centric thought-free teens-on-rollerblades “classic” back in, as I’ve been trying order it for a while. Ridiculous numbers of scenes where I knew the location, the final ‘downhill’ race pieced together from all over and around the city. Lots in Newport too, including gratuitous use of “Pompilios” and one scene that was oh so very close to our old home in the East Row. Awful movie, awful acting, awful premise but good fun for place spotting. I will probably watch it again. ‘Cos.
They filmed this my freshman year of college and used a lot of people from my high school drama club for the ice hockey stuff. So, I missed out on being an extra in the film. It's fun to watch and see a TON of my friends, including my best friend in her early 90s hair glory.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2019, 12:09:19 AM »

1.  Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again
2.  Blackkklansman
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2019, 10:18:36 AM »

Movies seen in 2019 (new movies in bold):
1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Twister
3. Super Troopers 2
4. A Quiet Place
5. The Untouchables
6. Solo: A Star Wars Story
7. Rabbit-Proof Fence

8. Shine
9. The Fugitive
10. The Firm
11. Meru

12. What We Do In The Shadows
13. The Godfather
14. The Incredibles 2
15. Catwalk: Tales from the Cat Show Circuit

16. Avengers: Infinity War

The best parts of this movie are
-large, varied cast
-jokes
-superheroes actually die*

*Except...do they?!?!? They are superheroes, so no, they don't.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2019, 01:30:51 PM »

1. Vice (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
2. Bumblebee (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
3. Escape Room (Kenwood Theater)
4. King In the Wilderness (HBO on Demand)
5. On The Basis of Sex (Mariemont Theater)
6. If Beale Street Could Talk (Esquire Theater)
7. Bright Lights: Starring Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher (HBO on Demand)

Updating the last 3 weeks:

8. Beware Slenderman (HBO on Demand)
9. If You're Not in the Obits, Eat Breakfast (HBO on Demand)
10. Shoplifters (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
11. Rain Man (EPIX)
12. Rock and a Hard Place (HBO on Demand)
13. Cold War (Esquire Theater)
14. They Shall Not Grow Old 3D (Cinemark Oakley)
15. Stan & Ollie (Mariemont Theater)

Shoplifters (South Korea) and Cold War (Poland) are both nominated for the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film, and both very much worth seeking out in any way, shape or form that you can. Cold War is from Pawel Pawlikowski, the same guy who won the Oscar a few years ago for Ida. Cold War also got Oscar nominations for Best Director and Best Cinematography (for that glorious B&W).  But given that they all compete against Roma (Mexico, with 10  Oscar nominations), I doubt they can beat out Roma. The remaining 2 Oscar-nominated foreign language movies (Lebanon's Capernaum and Germany's Never Look Away will make it to the Esquire shortly (I already saw the trailers there). This could well be the best crop of Foreign Language Movie Oscar nominations in years!

They Shall Not Grow Old is a riveting documentary by Peter "Lord of the Rings" Jackson on WWI. The film makers restored 100 year old footage into see-it-to-believe-it glorious full-color 3D footage. No details is too small for Jackson, who (in the bonus "making of" segment) comments that in order to make sure the color of the grass was accurate, he himself flew out to tour the sites in France and Belgium and took "thousands of pictures". How this film did not get an Oscar nomination for Best Documentary is a crime.

Stan & Ollie is a better-than-expected biopic of Laurel & Hardy, starring Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly as the spot-on Stan & Ollie.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2019, 02:59:31 PM »

2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8
10. Wayne's World

11. They Shall Not Grow Old - 8

Stunning restored footage.  Suffers a bit from lack of footage in certain areas, like combat.  Not that I really needed to see it, I guess, as it would've just made it more depressing.

If you're at all interested in WWI, I highly encourage you to listen to Hardcore History podcast series on WWI, that goes in great detail about the living conditions in the WWI trenches, which is visually represented here.  Rough stuff.  20 years later, this sort of warfare was obsolete.  20 years earlier, this sort of warfare was not possible.  It was hard to see men who literally stepped off a boat and into a world of total shit, and in some cases, nearly instant and unavoidable death.

12. The Favourite - 8

Best Lanthimos film, I think, though I do still have a soft spot for DOGTOOTH.  He ditches a bit of the weirdness here in favor of period authenticity and study.  Olivia Colman is the source of much of the film's humor, but all 3 of the main performances are outstanding.

13. Abducted in Plain Sight (Netflix) - 7

This was kind of a trashy Lifetime-y doc about a girl whose parents are blinded by some guy's charisma, and basically let her be abducted and engage in a long term relationship with a total predator.  I say trashy, but you are reminded at every turn that this was her life, and she does not flinch from taking part in this doc and neither do the parents... I'm glad they have some clearness of vision now... but it's about 40 years too late.

Side note, the predator's brother takes part in this thing.  And some could say he was just as responsible.  I believe one line he has in there was "young girls were his thing".  NO, fucker.  You don't get to brush it off.  You could've put a stop to it, and you didn't.  Dick.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2019, 09:19:51 AM »

12. CHiPs - 01/30/19 - HBO - Yes, it's very dumb. But, I find Dax Shepard and Michael Peña to be very charismatic. So, I was willing to take the ride with them for some crazy car and motorcycle chases and dick jokes.
13. FIRST REFORMED - 02/02/19 - Amazon Prime - I'm not totally sure for whom this movie was intended. It had some beautifuly cinematic moments towards the end and Ethan Hawke does act the fuck out of it (as noted by Butter). But, it isn't something that I would watch again.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19   Go Up