Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2019  (Read 2994 times)

Chris

• Citizen
Re: 50 Movies in 2019
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2019, 07:59:47 PM »

Velvet Buzzsaw (Netflix) - Uhhhh...  ???  :-\  >:(  ???  ???  ???

Yeah, that's about right.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2019, 10:20:36 PM »

Off to a slow start this year, but I'm sure I'll catch up.

1. John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous at Radio City Music Hall- needed something light after Infinity War!
2. Vice  Bale was good, but it was definitely pandering to a specific audience. Also, I thought I'd need heart surgery after all of it!
3. Crazy Rich Asians- needs more Awkwafina.
4. if Beale Street Could Talk really incredible, and should have been nominated for best picture.
5. Fyre Fraud
6. Justice League well, this was not a good movie, and having the stand alones for Wonder Woman and Aquaman come out after this was a bad plan.

7. They Shall Not Grow Old- impressive technical feat. Incredible to see and hear these men who have been gone for so long.
8. Paris is Burning A still-relevant documentary of drag balls in New York in the 1980s.
9. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- still sweet

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2019, 09:59:12 AM »

Movies seen in 2019 (new movies in bold):
1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Twister
3. Super Troopers 2
4. A Quiet Place
5. The Untouchables
6. Solo: A Star Wars Story
7. Rabbit-Proof Fence

8. Shine
9. The Fugitive
10. The Firm
11. Meru

12. What We Do In The Shadows
13. The Godfather
14. The Incredibles 2
15. Catwalk: Tales from the Cat Show Circuit

16. Avengers: Infinity War
17. Rampage
18. Four Weddings and Funeral
19. High Flying Bird
20. The Old Man and the Gun
21. The Pelican Brief

Rampage: the Rock has perfected his own genre. San Andreas, Skycraper (which I haven't seen), Rampage, and I'm sure there are a few more. All basically the same movie, all very likable. The science is obviously flawed in a hundred ways, but the movie is pleasant enough.

4 Weddings: I thought I hadn't seen this, but then I kind of knew what was going to happen, so clearly it was buried deep in my memory. I looked it up...and it was in late 2014.

High Flying Bird: I thought I'd like this more than I did. It's the new Steven Soderbergh film on Netflix about "the game behind the game" of basketball. It was... fine.

The Old Man and the Gun: When I become a movie adviser I'm going to point out that pedestrian ramps with contrasting colored tactile warning strips did not existing in 1980. They need better shot selection! Otherwise, it was fine.

The Pelican Brief: this was not brief and did not have pelicans in it. Very disappointing!
Sidenote: holy smokes was Cynthia Nixon adorable in her two or three scenes. I had no idea that the lady I'd voted for in governor primary had been that adorable once upon a time.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2019, 01:34:49 PM »

1. ALWAYS IN THE CARLYLE - 01/02/19 - STARZ - A captivating documentary that wisely spends more time on the tenured staff and glorious interior of the legendary hotel than on the antics of its famed guests. Light and lovely.
2. ON THE BASIS OF SEX - 01/06/19 - Tara Cinemas - Armie Hammer can GET IT.
3. VICE - 01/08/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - Bale's performance was incredible, but I didn't really enjoy much more than that. I didn't like the narrator device for telling the story and didn't like the pacing of film. It was all over the place and too "winky-winky did you see what we did there?" for me.
4. BOOMERANG - 01/12/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Haven't seen this in a long time but still remember every word and every song. Excited to see what Lena Waithe and Halle Berry do with this for TV. "CO-OOOOOOOOOOOOOORDINATE."
5. IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK - 01/15/19 - AMC Parkway Pointe w/va_vacious - A beautiful tragedy. After that family gathering scene, I'm ready to finally read some Baldwin.
6. FREE SOLO - 01/19/19 - AMC Barrett Commons - Now that was a fun ride! I didn't get to see it in IMAX but still felt like it was a wonderful film experience.
7. GLASS - 01/20/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Gwynne and Beth - I fell asleep MULTIPLE times. Nothing about this movie seemed necessary or entertaining.
8. BUMBLEBEE - 01/22/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - Probably the most enjoyable of all of the TRANSFORMERS movies, mostly because I didn't hear one mention of the "AllSpark". Also, Pamela Adlon in a TRANSFORMERS MOVIE???!!!! Fun tunes throughout.
9. EIGHTH GRADE - 01/26/19 - Amazon Prime - In 8th grade, my best friend quit being friends with me because I wasn't cool enough. I wrote her a poem to try and tell her how much it hurt me and she basically laughed in my face. It was the most devastating break-up of my life. So, yeah. 8th grade sucked. I totally get all of the emotions in this movie. Bonus, that banana scene had me crying with laughter.
10. TULLY - 01/27/19 - HBO - Hug a mom. They probably need it. Diablo Cody's writing doesn't disappoint.
11. LEAVE NO TRACE - 01/29/19 - Amazon Prime - The actress who plays Tom should win ALL THE THINGS.
12. CHiPs - 01/30/19 - HBO - Yes, it's very dumb. But, I find Dax Shepard and Michael Peña to be very charismatic. So, I was willing to take the ride with them for some crazy car and motorcycle chases and dick jokes.
13. FIRST REFORMED - 02/02/19 - Amazon Prime - I'm not totally sure for whom this movie was intended. It had some beautifuly cinematic moments towards the end and Ethan Hawke does act the fuck out of it (as noted by Butter). But, it isn't something that I would watch again.
14. PULP FICTION - 02/07/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Three Little Fonzies.
15. ROMA - 02/10/19 - Netflix - Having lived in a middle-class home on the outskirts of Mexico City in the 90s, I can definitely confirm that this movie moved me and made me miss so many things about that city and country. Cleo's "moment" on the beach made me sob and I really appreciated the beauty of how the film was shot. But, the rest of the movie really left me cold except for my own nostalgia.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2019, 09:19:20 PM »

1.  Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again
2.  Blackkklansman
3.  Christopher Robin
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2019, 08:24:17 AM »

1. ALWAYS IN THE CARLYLE - 01/02/19 - STARZ - A captivating documentary that wisely spends more time on the tenured staff and glorious interior of the legendary hotel than on the antics of its famed guests. Light and lovely.
2. ON THE BASIS OF SEX - 01/06/19 - Tara Cinemas - Armie Hammer can GET IT.
3. VICE - 01/08/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - Bale's performance was incredible, but I didn't really enjoy much more than that. I didn't like the narrator device for telling the story and didn't like the pacing of film. It was all over the place and too "winky-winky did you see what we did there?" for me.
4. BOOMERANG - 01/12/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Haven't seen this in a long time but still remember every word and every song. Excited to see what Lena Waithe and Halle Berry do with this for TV. "CO-OOOOOOOOOOOOOORDINATE."
5. IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK - 01/15/19 - AMC Parkway Pointe w/va_vacious - A beautiful tragedy. After that family gathering scene, I'm ready to finally read some Baldwin.
6. FREE SOLO - 01/19/19 - AMC Barrett Commons - Now that was a fun ride! I didn't get to see it in IMAX but still felt like it was a wonderful film experience.
7. GLASS - 01/20/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Gwynne and Beth - I fell asleep MULTIPLE times. Nothing about this movie seemed necessary or entertaining.
8. BUMBLEBEE - 01/22/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - Probably the most enjoyable of all of the TRANSFORMERS movies, mostly because I didn't hear one mention of the "AllSpark". Also, Pamela Adlon in a TRANSFORMERS MOVIE???!!!! Fun tunes throughout.
9. EIGHTH GRADE - 01/26/19 - Amazon Prime - In 8th grade, my best friend quit being friends with me because I wasn't cool enough. I wrote her a poem to try and tell her how much it hurt me and she basically laughed in my face. It was the most devastating break-up of my life. So, yeah. 8th grade sucked. I totally get all of the emotions in this movie. Bonus, that banana scene had me crying with laughter.
10. TULLY - 01/27/19 - HBO - Hug a mom. They probably need it. Diablo Cody's writing doesn't disappoint.
11. LEAVE NO TRACE - 01/29/19 - Amazon Prime - The actress who plays Tom should win ALL THE THINGS.
12. CHiPs - 01/30/19 - HBO - Yes, it's very dumb. But, I find Dax Shepard and Michael Peña to be very charismatic. So, I was willing to take the ride with them for some crazy car and motorcycle chases and dick jokes.
13. FIRST REFORMED - 02/02/19 - Amazon Prime - I'm not totally sure for whom this movie was intended. It had some beautifuly cinematic moments towards the end and Ethan Hawke does act the fuck out of it (as noted by Butter). But, it isn't something that I would watch again.
14. PULP FICTION - 02/07/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Three Little Fonzies.
15. ROMA - 02/10/19 - Netflix - Having lived in a middle-class home on the outskirts of Mexico City in the 90s, I can definitely confirm that this movie moved me and made me miss so many things about that city and country. Cleo's "moment" on the beach made me sob and I really appreciated the beauty of how the film was shot. But, the rest of the movie really left me cold except for my own nostalgia.
16. TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE - 02/14/19 - Netflix - repeat viewing - The Greg was out of town so I picked PeterKavinsky (one word) to be my valentine.

From a list of Linda Holmes' 50 favorite things from 2018:
"Peter Kavinsky's selfie. The Netflix adaptation of Jenny Han's YA romance To All The Boys I've Loved Before was a hit, not to mention a real boon to lovers of romantic comedy in general. And while its final scene is swoonworthy and its adorable flirtations are many, none stayed with me quite like Peter (Noah Centineo) taking a selfie for Lara Jean (Lana Condor) to use as the background on her phone. Gently and confidently funny (only because you know it's supposed to be funny), it's one of the moments that make it believable that Peter is very, very excited about Lara Jean."

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2019, 12:52:56 PM »

From a list of Linda Holmes' 50 favorite things from 2018:
"Peter Kavinsky's selfie. The Netflix adaptation of Jenny Han's YA romance To All The Boys I've Loved Before was a hit, not to mention a real boon to lovers of romantic comedy in general. And while its final scene is swoonworthy and its adorable flirtations are many, none stayed with me quite like Peter (Noah Centineo) taking a selfie for Lara Jean (Lana Condor) to use as the background on her phone. Gently and confidently funny (only because you know it's supposed to be funny), it's one of the moments that make it believable that Peter is very, very excited about Lara Jean."

My beloved is my screensaver, and I am his.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2019, 02:44:50 PM »

High Flying Bird: I thought I'd like this more than I did. It's the new Steven Soderbergh film on Netflix about "the game behind the game" of basketball. It was... fine.

Replace "fine" with "barely mediocre" and I'm in complete agreement.  And I felt like honestly Soderbergh was the problem.  The screenplay sucks, the iPhone filming didn't move me one way or the other, and the film is only redeemed by some excellent acting.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2019, 09:17:14 PM »

Yup. I wouldn't debate a single word you said. I found the general plot lines to be ... fine. Or in your words, barely mediocre. That was the issue to me.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2019, 11:09:49 PM »

I had no idea you lived in Mexico City 20 years ago! Would love to hear about that!

That said, I can't understand your comment that "the rest of the movie left me cold except for my own nostalgia"...

As I think you know, it is the best movie for me from 2018. Has gathered 10 Oscar nominations, and I hope it wins them all....
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2019, 10:53:37 PM »

New to me movies in bold

1. Vice
2. The Man Who Knew Too Little
3. Michael Jackson’s This Is It
4. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
5. My Generation
6. Quincy
7. Root Cause
8. Swinging with the Finkels
9. That's Life!
10. Bobby Robson: More than a Manager
11. Drinking Buddles
12. Fyre
13. Fyre Fraud
14. Springsteen on Broadway
15. Absinthe: A Documentary
16. The Old Man and the Gun
17. The Ipcress File
18. Funeral in Berlin
19. Billion Dollar Brain
20. Airborne
21. Catwalk: Tales from the Cat Show Circuit
22. The Wrong Arm of the Law
ADDING
23 Bros: After the Screaming Stops
Bros (pronounced bross, not bro’s) were a late 80’s UK pop phenom. Twin brothers Matt & Luke Goss, who had half the country’s young ladies creaming their undercrackers. Then they fell out. Then they got back together. Then they split up. Now almost three decades later they reformed to play a one-off gig at the 02 in London. But first they had to get back together, try and talk and then rehearse. This is one of THE most unintentionally funny music documentaries ever made. The twins bicker and argue and spout ridiculous platitudes and snarky words at one another without ever being self-conscious about how FUCKING stupid they’re coming across.
24. Can I Be Your Neighbor?
As an “import” I knew nothing about Fred Rogers. This was not an American icon that was ever shown in the UK. That “homely” nature of his would have been treated - rightly or wrongly - with a mix of disdain and incredulity by British children, doubtless considered too ‘sickly sweet’ and perhaps a little bit creepy. I realise I’ve lost a fair few of you with that remark and I don’t wish to diss him - or his neighbo(u)rhood- in any way, shape or form. This doc informed me his heart was in the right place, his commitment to entertaining children ‘the right way’ palpable. I see all that, but as they say on Shark Tank, and for the reason I never grew up with this peculiar character, “I’m out”

Opulence. I has it.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2019, 01:27:33 PM »

Haven't seen the film, but as a child I recall loving his show because I loved it when they cut to that puppet world he had going.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2019, 02:11:13 PM »

I thought Mr. Rogers sucked.  It was boring.

TBF, I hated pretty much all children's shows.  My parents said when I was three I used to enjoy Romper Room.  I liked the occasional songs/skits on Sesame Street and Electric Company, but they were mostly the ones that were kind of for adults.  Like, I loved when they had beetles singing "Letter B" to the tune of "Let It Be."

Part of it is that US families are so lazy about educating their kids.  When I was five, I could multiply and by seven, I was reading young adult books.  So I wasn't that much interested in watching people laboriously counting to 10.

I mean, that wasn't even crazy Asian parent shit.  That came later.  Like, I pretty much was trying to read and do math on my own so my mom just sat me down and sort of taught me how to do it.  It was fun.  I don't remember ever struggling with it.  My mom said basically it took a few afternoons and she's never really had sat down and taught me anything since. 

The whole concept of trying to learn basic skills from TV shows strikes me as really stupid.  I think Mr. Rogers is more interesting as a show because it focused more on lifelong values stuff, like you could learn some interesting facts and there was lots of ethics/morality.  It was just so boring is all.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2019, 10:34:19 PM »

I thought Mr. Rogers sucked.  It was boring.

The whole concept of trying to learn basic skills from TV shows strikes me as really stupid.  I think Mr. Rogers is more interesting as a show because it focused more on lifelong values stuff, like you could learn some interesting facts and there was lots of ethics/morality.  It was just so boring is all.
I think you are mixing up the value of the documentary vs. what Mr. Rogers did in your life. The documentary was/is absolutely worth checking out IMHO
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2019, 12:12:09 AM »

No, I saw the documentary and it was good.  My feelings are similar to CR’s.  Fred Rogers comes across as a good guy and a lot deeper/admirable than you might think.  But it’s a little hard to really get into the film when you’re just kinda like, “I don’t get it.”

That’s what I was trying to say.  In retrospect, Mr. Rogers was teaching more valuable lessons than many other kids shows, but his was also the most earnestly boring and therefore IMO, had the least impact which is unfortunate.  The fact that it kinda made me rethink both the person and the show is to the film’s credit.  The fact that I fundamentally did not care about Mr. Rogers (though I should have) still makes the documentary fall a little flat, through no fault of the film.  Just not a subject that has much personal interest for me.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up