Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2019  (Read 9251 times)

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
Re: 50 Movies in 2019
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2019, 10:44:25 PM »

1.  Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again
2.  Blackkklansman
3.  Christopher Robin
4.  I, Tonya
5.  Oceans 8
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2019, 11:21:36 PM »

Off to a slow start this year, but I'm sure I'll catch up.

1. John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous at Radio City Music Hall- needed something light after Infinity War!
2. Vice  Bale was good, but it was definitely pandering to a specific audience. Also, I thought I'd need heart surgery after all of it!
3. Crazy Rich Asians- needs more Awkwafina.
4. if Beale Street Could Talk really incredible, and should have been nominated for best picture.
5. Fyre Fraud
6. Justice League well, this was not a good movie, and having the stand alones for Wonder Woman and Aquaman come out after this was a bad plan.
7. They Shall Not Grow Old- impressive technical feat. Incredible to see and hear these men who have been gone for so long.
8. Paris is Burning A still-relevant documentary of drag balls in New York in the 1980s.
9. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- still sweet

10. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- look, it was a rough week. I reserve the right to watch cuteness again and again!
11. The Kissing Booth Oh my lord, this was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and I totally hate watched it.
12. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- palate cleanser
13. Thor: Ragnarock
14. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
15. Ibiza- Other than Richard Madden's accent, not much reason to watch. I liked it more the first go-round.
16. The Changeover based on Margaret Mahy's book of the same name. It was not as good as the book, of course, but it was nice to see one of my favorite books on the screen.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2019, 01:52:41 PM »

Movies seen in 2019 (new movies in bold):
1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Twister
3. Super Troopers 2
4. A Quiet Place
5. The Untouchables
6. Solo: A Star Wars Story
7. Rabbit-Proof Fence

8. Shine
9. The Fugitive
10. The Firm
11. Meru

12. What We Do In The Shadows
13. The Godfather
14. The Incredibles 2
15. Catwalk: Tales from the Cat Show Circuit

16. Avengers: Infinity War
17. Rampage
18. Four Weddings and Funeral
19. High Flying Bird
20. The Old Man and the Gun
21. The Pelican Brief

22. Deadpool 2

Upon re-watch....enjoyed it a lot. Partly because I'd forgotten most of the dumb jokes, so they were entertaining again.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2019, 03:15:07 PM »

1. Vice (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
2. Bumblebee (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
3. Escape Room (Kenwood Theater)
4. King In the Wilderness (HBO on Demand)
5. On The Basis of Sex (Mariemont Theater)
6. If Beale Street Could Talk (Esquire Theater)
7. Bright Lights: Starring Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher (HBO on Demand)
8. Beware Slenderman (HBO on Demand)
9. If You're Not in the Obits, Eat Breakfast (HBO on Demand)
10. Shoplifters (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
11. Rain Man (EPIX)
12. Rock and a Hard Place (HBO on Demand)
13. Cold War (Esquire Theater)
14. They Shall Not Grow Old 3D (Cinemark Oakley)
15. Stan & Ollie (Mariemont Theater)

Updating the last 3 weeks:

16. Budapest Noire (2019 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival @ Esquire Theater)
17. The Last Suit (2019 Jewish & Israeli Fim Festival @ Mariemont Theater)
18. Cold Pursuit (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
19. Capernaum (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
20. When the Smoke Clears (2019 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival @ Mariemont Theater)
21. Arctic (Esquire Theater)

The overall quality of this year's Jewish & Israeli Film Festival was not as good as in years past, at least for me. Best of the lot was When the Smoke Clears, about veterans from the Israeli Military, who decide to do where the Israeli government fails, namely provide better/more care for veterans dealing with PTSD. The parallel with the lack of care for veterans with PTSD in the US is uncanny.

Capernaum is  a moving (albeit haunting) movie from Lebanon about how a 12 year old boy survived the urban jungle that is Beirut. It was nominated for the Best Foreign Language Movie Oscar but as I had predicted all along, never stood a chance against Roma in last night's Oscars. That does not make Capernaum any less, and I thought it was excellent. Highly recommended!

Cold Pursuit is yet another pointless Hollywood remake (of the 2014 Norwegian movie In Order of Disappearance). The original was a black comedy. The US version loses the black and the comedy, and is simply a revenge movie (think: Death Wish).

Arctic is an enjoyable arctic survivor drama, nothing more, nothing less. Basically like Robert Redford's sailing survival drama All Is Lost.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2019, 06:56:32 AM »

1. Shirkers (Netflix) - 9
2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
4. First Reformed (Amazon Prime) - 5
5. Minding the Gap (Hulu) - 8
6. If Beale Street Could Talk - 9
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8
9. Remastered: Massacre at the Stadium (Netflix) - 6
10. Wayne's World
11. They Shall Not Grow Old - 8
12. The Favourite - 9
13. Abducted in Plain Sight (Netflix) - 7

14. Leave No Trace - 7

This was pretty good.  Good performances. Not super interesting to me, but still worth a watch if you enjoyed WINTER'S BONE... much less melodramatic but still interesting.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2019, 08:24:12 AM »

1. ALWAYS IN THE CARLYLE - 01/02/19 - STARZ - A captivating documentary that wisely spends more time on the tenured staff and glorious interior of the legendary hotel than on the antics of its famed guests. Light and lovely.
2. ON THE BASIS OF SEX - 01/06/19 - Tara Cinemas - Armie Hammer can GET IT.
3. VICE - 01/08/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - Bale's performance was incredible, but I didn't really enjoy much more than that. I didn't like the narrator device for telling the story and didn't like the pacing of film. It was all over the place and too "winky-winky did you see what we did there?" for me.
4. BOOMERANG - 01/12/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Haven't seen this in a long time but still remember every word and every song. Excited to see what Lena Waithe and Halle Berry do with this for TV. "CO-OOOOOOOOOOOOOORDINATE."
5. IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK - 01/15/19 - AMC Parkway Pointe w/va_vacious - A beautiful tragedy. After that family gathering scene, I'm ready to finally read some Baldwin.
6. FREE SOLO - 01/19/19 - AMC Barrett Commons - Now that was a fun ride! I didn't get to see it in IMAX but still felt like it was a wonderful film experience.
7. GLASS - 01/20/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Gwynne and Beth - I fell asleep MULTIPLE times. Nothing about this movie seemed necessary or entertaining.
8. BUMBLEBEE - 01/22/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - Probably the most enjoyable of all of the TRANSFORMERS movies, mostly because I didn't hear one mention of the "AllSpark". Also, Pamela Adlon in a TRANSFORMERS MOVIE???!!!! Fun tunes throughout.
9. EIGHTH GRADE - 01/26/19 - Amazon Prime - In 8th grade, my best friend quit being friends with me because I wasn't cool enough. I wrote her a poem to try and tell her how much it hurt me and she basically laughed in my face. It was the most devastating break-up of my life. So, yeah. 8th grade sucked. I totally get all of the emotions in this movie. Bonus, that banana scene had me crying with laughter.
10. TULLY - 01/27/19 - HBO - Hug a mom. They probably need it. Diablo Cody's writing doesn't disappoint.
11. LEAVE NO TRACE - 01/29/19 - Amazon Prime - The actress who plays Tom should win ALL THE THINGS.
12. CHiPs - 01/30/19 - HBO - Yes, it's very dumb. But, I find Dax Shepard and Michael Peña to be very charismatic. So, I was willing to take the ride with them for some crazy car and motorcycle chases and dick jokes.
13. FIRST REFORMED - 02/02/19 - Amazon Prime - I'm not totally sure for whom this movie was intended. It had some beautifuly cinematic moments towards the end and Ethan Hawke does act the fuck out of it (as noted by Butter). But, it isn't something that I would watch again.
14. PULP FICTION - 02/07/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Three Little Fonzies.
15. ROMA - 02/10/19 - Netflix - Having lived in a middle-class home on the outskirts of Mexico City in the 90s, I can definitely confirm that this movie moved me and made me miss so many things about that city and country. Cleo's "moment" on the beach made me sob and I really appreciated the beauty of how the film was shot. But, the rest of the movie really left me cold except for my own nostalgia.
16. TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE - 02/14/19 - Netflix - repeat viewing - The Greg was out of town so I picked PeterKavinsky (one word) to be my valentine.
17. TAG - 03/02/19 - HBO - repeat viewing (but with friends, Gwynner and Tiffers, this time) - The Jeremy Renner voice-overs were even funnier in the second viewing. "I speed-bag him."
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2019, 12:11:13 PM »

1. ALWAYS IN THE CARLYLE - 01/02/19 - STARZ - A captivating documentary that wisely spends more time on the tenured staff and glorious interior of the legendary hotel than on the antics of its famed guests. Light and lovely.
3. VICE - 01/08/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - Bale's performance was incredible, but I didn't really enjoy much more than that. I didn't like the narrator device for telling the story and didn't like the pacing of film. It was all over the place and too "winky-winky did you see what we did there?" for me.
4. BOOMERANG - 01/12/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Haven't seen this in a long time but still remember every word and every song. Excited to see what Lena Waithe and Halle Berry do with this for TV. "CO-OOOOOOOOOOOOOORDINATE."
5. IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK - 01/15/19 - AMC Parkway Pointe w/va_vacious - A beautiful tragedy. After that family gathering scene, I'm ready to finally read some Baldwin.
6. FREE SOLO - 01/19/19 - AMC Barrett Commons - Now that was a fun ride! I didn't get to see it in IMAX but still felt like it was a wonderful film experience.
7. GLASS - 01/20/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Gwynne and Beth - I fell asleep MULTIPLE times. Nothing about this movie seemed necessary or entertaining.
8. BUMBLEBEE - 01/22/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - Probably the most enjoyable of all of the TRANSFORMERS movies, mostly because I didn't hear one mention of the "AllSpark". Also, Pamela Adlon in a TRANSFORMERS MOVIE???!!!! Fun tunes throughout.
9. EIGHTH GRADE - 01/26/19 - Amazon Prime - In 8th grade, my best friend quit being friends with me because I wasn't cool enough. I wrote her a poem to try and tell her how much it hurt me and she basically laughed in my face. It was the most devastating break-up of my life. So, yeah. 8th grade sucked. I totally get all of the emotions in this movie. Bonus, that banana scene had me crying with laughter.
10. TULLY - 01/27/19 - HBO - Hug a mom. They probably need it. Diablo Cody's writing doesn't disappoint.
11. LEAVE NO TRACE - 01/29/19 - Amazon Prime - The actress who plays Tom should win ALL THE THINGS.
12. CHiPs - 01/30/19 - HBO - Yes, it's very dumb. But, I find Dax Shepard and Michael Peña to be very charismatic. So, I was willing to take the ride with them for some crazy car and motorcycle chases and dick jokes.
13. FIRST REFORMED - 02/02/19 - Amazon Prime - I'm not totally sure for whom this movie was intended. It had some beautifuly cinematic moments towards the end and Ethan Hawke does act the fuck out of it (as noted by Butter). But, it isn't something that I would watch again.
15. ROMA - 02/10/19 - Netflix - Having lived in a middle-class home on the outskirts of Mexico City in the 90s, I can definitely confirm that this movie moved me and made me miss so many things about that city and country. Cleo's "moment" on the beach made me sob and I really appreciated the beauty of how the film was shot. But, the rest of the movie really left me cold except for my own nostalgia.
16. TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE - 02/14/19 - Netflix - repeat viewing - The Greg was out of town so I picked PeterKavinsky (one word) to be my valentine.
17. TAG - 03/02/19 - HBO - repeat viewing (but with friends, Gwynner and Tiffers, this time) - The Jeremy Renner voice-overs were even funnier in the second viewing. "I speed-bag him."
18. PERIOD. END OF SENTENCE. - 03/09/19 - Netflix - I feel like I got a lot more information about the mission of The Pad Project from interviews with the filmmakers than I did from the actual movie. VERY interesting subject, but this seemed to focus more on the adult woman making the pads with the pad machine than it did on the school-aged girls who were supposed to benefit from the machine.
19. THE BREAKER UPPERERS - 03/09/19 - Netflix - There were some great scenes that felt like they came out of an old PJ Hogan movie but the movie sort of went off for me when the two leads split off from each other.
20. TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE - 03/09/19 - Netflix - repeat viewing

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2019, 12:50:37 PM »

a new year!
i have also been mining the movie thread for ideas. thanks to all of you!

1. mowgli - netflix; it was ok, found it difficult to get into it, probably because i grew up on the disney animated version. this is nothing like disney at all.
2. cargo - netflix; aussie zombie movie with martin freeman as the father trying to survive the "ghosts". interesting take on the zombie genre.
3. jurassic park - hbo; the dino's are still great. the plot holes get worse with age.
4. jurassic park 2 - hbo; recorded a bunch of movies during a free weekend. this was one of them. not sure why i watched it again.
5. jurassic park 3 - hbo; not a bad watch on a crappy, cold, and rainy morning.
6. thor: ragnarok - netflix; i liked the extra campiness and humor interjected through the story. goldblum was really good as the crazy leader. filled in some holes i had in the MCU. enjoyed.
[/quote]
7. the breadwinner - netflix; animated, about a young girl living in taliban controlled afghanistan. interesting, and clearly showed the taliban to be evil. enjoyed.
8. how to train your dragon 3 - the lyon; cute finish for the dragon world and the town of berk. enjoyed.
9. how to train your dragon 3 - mjr, waterford, mi; repeat viewing with a friend and her child. still enjoyed it. was able to focus on the animation and the background. they did a really good job.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2019, 12:07:49 AM »

Off to a slow start this year, but I'm sure I'll catch up.

1. John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous at Radio City Music Hall- needed something light after Infinity War!
2. Vice  Bale was good, but it was definitely pandering to a specific audience. Also, I thought I'd need heart surgery after all of it!
3. Crazy Rich Asians- needs more Awkwafina.
4. if Beale Street Could Talk really incredible, and should have been nominated for best picture.
5. Fyre Fraud
6. Justice League well, this was not a good movie, and having the stand alones for Wonder Woman and Aquaman come out after this was a bad plan.
7. They Shall Not Grow Old- impressive technical feat. Incredible to see and hear these men who have been gone for so long.
8. Paris is Burning A still-relevant documentary of drag balls in New York in the 1980s.
9. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- still sweet
10. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- look, it was a rough week. I reserve the right to watch cuteness again and again!
11. The Kissing Booth Oh my lord, this was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and I totally hate watched it.
12. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- palate cleanser
13. Thor: Ragnarock
14. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
15. Ibiza- Other than Richard Madden's accent, not much reason to watch. I liked it more the first go-round.
16. The Changeover based on Margaret Mahy's book of the same name. It was not as good as the book, of course, but it was nice to see one of my favorite books on the screen.
17. Isn't it Romantic Cute, and I loved that the New York apartment was appropriately small.
18. Captain Marvel Needed more Goose! Great soundtrack, but I would have loved to have "Cannonball" on it.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2019, 03:18:46 PM »

Movies seen in 2019 (new movies in bold):
1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Twister
3. Super Troopers 2
4. A Quiet Place
5. The Untouchables
6. Solo: A Star Wars Story
7. Rabbit-Proof Fence

8. Shine
9. The Fugitive
10. The Firm
11. Meru

12. What We Do In The Shadows
13. The Godfather
14. The Incredibles 2
15. Catwalk: Tales from the Cat Show Circuit

16. Avengers: Infinity War
17. Rampage
18. Four Weddings and Funeral
19. High Flying Bird
20. The Old Man and the Gun
21. The Pelican Brief

22. Deadpool 2

adding
23. Mission Impossible: Fallout
24. Peppermint
25. Crazy Rich Asians
26. Training Day

27. Deadpool
28. Captain Marvel
29. Green Book
30. Lego Movie 2
31. Dead Poets Society
32. Ralph Breaks the Internet

That's a lot to review, so here's the fast version:
Mission Impossible: good spy action flick
Peppermint: I liked it, but it was properly rated. Tried to be female John Wick but kind of got everything wrong if that's what it was trying to be.
Crazy Rich Asians: Really good, but tried to do too much. Probably better as a book! (that's a joke, fyi)
Training Day: Intense
Deadpool: forgot so much of this. Funny.
Captain Marvel: Very enjoyable. Goose stole the show. Brie Larson really is a rock star.
Green Book: this was the best picture? It was so predictable, formulaic, un-nuanced, and generally bland.
Lego Movie 2: pretty terrible. It's a kids movie, and the kids in the theater were quiet and enraptured, so I guess it succeeds, but it was pretty terrible for a middle aged viewer.
Dead Poets Society: I found the father's lack of motivation to be annoying/confusing.
Ralph Breaks the Internet: like someone else said...not as good as the first, but still very good and entertaining. This was the film that Lego Movie 2 wished it was.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2019, 10:38:15 PM »

Dan, glad to see your reaction about Green Book, which mirrored mine. This was a strictly "done by the numbers" movie and utterly safe Hollywood film about race relations. It clearly wasn't the best movie of the year (that would be Roma), and it was Hollywood at its PC worst. "Hey, we get it, we need to be more sensitive about race relations, so let's pet ourselves on the back, and give Best Picture to this!" <sigh>
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2019, 08:09:44 AM »

18. PERIOD. END OF SENTENCE. - 03/09/19 - Netflix - I feel like I got a lot more information about the mission of The Pad Project from interviews with the filmmakers than I did from the actual movie. VERY interesting subject, but this seemed to focus more on the adult woman making the pads with the pad machine than it did on the school-aged girls who were supposed to benefit from the machine.
19. THE BREAKER UPPERERS - 03/09/19 - Netflix - There were some great scenes that felt like they came out of an old PJ Hogan movie but the movie sort of went off for me when the two leads split off from each other.
20. TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE - 03/09/19 - Netflix - repeat viewing
21. FIGHTING WITH MY FAMILY - 03/17/19 - AMC Classic Cartersville

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2019, 07:52:07 AM »

1. Shirkers (Netflix) - 9
2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
4. First Reformed (Amazon Prime) - 5
5. Minding the Gap (Hulu) - 8
6. If Beale Street Could Talk - 9
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8
9. Remastered: Massacre at the Stadium (Netflix) - 6
10. Wayne's World
11. They Shall Not Grow Old - 8
12. The Favourite - 9
13. Abducted in Plain Sight (Netflix) - 7
14. Leave No Trace - 7

15. Ghostbusters (the "all-women" one) - 6

Chris Hemsworth and Kate McKinnon elevate this.  Otherwise, it wasn't very good.  Seemed like every punchline that Wiig and McCarthy delivered they felt the need to underline and side-wink.  It got tiresome.  But it was almost all worth it just for the "interviewing Chris Hemsworth for secretary" scene.  And WAY TOO MANY callbacks.  First nod was fine.  The 7th was tiresome.

16. Alita: Battle Angel (in 3D!  on a cruise ship!) - 7

I'm not a big anime guy, but this was pretty good, again elevating a sort of meh premise with a really good cast.

17. Superpower Dogs (in 3D!  on a cruise ship!) - 7

This was basically an Animal Planet show filmed in IMAX.  But it was about cute, smart dogs, so I'm totally in.  And it was 40 minutes, so it ends before it wears out its premise.

18. Us - 7

I was still thinking about what it all meant hours after it was over.  It takes some time and some critical thinking to look back on.  The movie itself is creepy fun.  The concept gets a little too high for its own good and collapses in on itself in the final half hour or so.  It suffers from too much explanation... I know that we can't have any horror movies without lifting the veil anymore, but it gets much less creepy the more you understand it.

As Alex put it "it's not a movie that's going to keep me up at night".

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2019, 09:18:59 AM »

a new year!
i have also been mining the movie thread for ideas. thanks to all of you!

1. mowgli - netflix; it was ok, found it difficult to get into it, probably because i grew up on the disney animated version. this is nothing like disney at all.
2. cargo - netflix; aussie zombie movie with martin freeman as the father trying to survive the "ghosts". interesting take on the zombie genre.
3. jurassic park - hbo; the dino's are still great. the plot holes get worse with age.
4. jurassic park 2 - hbo; recorded a bunch of movies during a free weekend. this was one of them. not sure why i watched it again.
5. jurassic park 3 - hbo; not a bad watch on a crappy, cold, and rainy morning.
6. thor: ragnarok - netflix; i liked the extra campiness and humor interjected through the story. goldblum was really good as the crazy leader. filled in some holes i had in the MCU. enjoyed.
7. the breadwinner - netflix; animated, about a young girl living in taliban controlled afghanistan. interesting, and clearly showed the taliban to be evil. enjoyed.
8. how to train your dragon 3 - the lyon; cute finish for the dragon world and the town of berk. enjoyed.
9. how to train your dragon 3 - mjr, waterford, mi; repeat viewing with a friend and her child. still enjoyed it. was able to focus on the animation and the background. they did a really good job.
10. stardust - netflix; adaptation of the Gaiman book. watched it back in 2007. didn't remember much about it. good fun. an uplifting fairy tale full of bad witches, revenge minded princes, and our noble common man with a star. happy ending. enjoyed.
11. pan's labyrinth - netflix; such a good movie. if you haven't seen it, watch it.
12. Hellboy - Netflix; rewatching the previous hellboy's for the upcoming release of the newest one. still good fun.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2019, 12:00:53 PM »

1. Vice (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
2. Bumblebee (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
3. Escape Room (Kenwood Theater)
4. King In the Wilderness (HBO on Demand)
5. On The Basis of Sex (Mariemont Theater)
6. If Beale Street Could Talk (Esquire Theater)
7. Bright Lights: Starring Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher (HBO on Demand)
8. Beware Slenderman (HBO on Demand)
9. If You're Not in the Obits, Eat Breakfast (HBO on Demand)
10. Shoplifters (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
11. Rain Man (EPIX)
12. Rock and a Hard Place (HBO on Demand)
13. Cold War (Esquire Theater)
14. They Shall Not Grow Old 3D (Cinemark Oakley)
15. Stan & Ollie (Mariemont Theater)
16. Budapest Noire (2019 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival @ Esquire Theater)
17. The Last Suit (2019 Jewish & Israeli Fim Festival @ Mariemont Theater)
18. Cold Pursuit (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
19. Capernaum (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
20. When the Smoke Clears (2019 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival @ Mariemont Theater)
21. Arctic (Esquire Theater)

Updating the last month:

22. Greta (Esquire Theater)
23. Everybody Knows (Mariemont Theater)
24. Never Look Away (Esquire Theater)
25. To Dust (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
26. Climax (Esquire Theater)
27. The Wedding Guest (Mariemont Theater)
28. Gloria Bell (Mariemont Theater)
29. Apollo 11 (Mariemont Theater)
30. Birds of Passage (Esquire Theater)

Best of the bunch: the Apollo 11 documentary, which completely blew me away.

Also surprisingly good: Gloria Bell, the note-for-note Hollywood remake of the 2013 Chilean film Gloria. I was skeptical, but Julianna Moore is simply stunning in what I think is one of her best performances ever. Take a bow, Ms. Moore. You deserve it.

Tip of the ol' hat as well to Birds of Passage, a Colombian family drug drama, but not in the way you might expect it (such as Escobar: Paradise Lost).

Climax is an "out there" French 'experimental' movie about a dance group whose members go insane overnight. Way far away from your 'typical' horror movie.

Everybody Knows is a decent Spanish family drama starring Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem.

Never Look Away is an epic 3 hr. German movie, taking a look at the country's history from the late 30s through late 60s through the eyes of a "decadent art" painter.

Greta is a disappointing, or should I saw annoying, stalker drama starring Isabelle Huppert and Chloë Grace Moretz.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up