Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2019  (Read 14479 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2019
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2019, 01:36:39 PM »

Movies seen in 2019 (new movies in bold):
1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Twister
3. Super Troopers 2
4. A Quiet Place
5. The Untouchables
6. Solo: A Star Wars Story
7. Rabbit-Proof Fence

8. Shine
9. The Fugitive
10. The Firm
11. Meru

12. What We Do In The Shadows
13. The Godfather
14. The Incredibles 2
15. Catwalk: Tales from the Cat Show Circuit

16. Avengers: Infinity War
17. Rampage
18. Four Weddings and Funeral
19. High Flying Bird
20. The Old Man and the Gun
21. The Pelican Brief

22. Deadpool 2
23. Mission Impossible: Fallout
24. Peppermint
25. Crazy Rich Asians
26. Training Day

27. Deadpool
28. Captain Marvel
29. Green Book
30. Lego Movie 2
31. Dead Poets Society
32. The Girl in the Spider's Web
33. Ralph Breaks the Internet
34. Triple Frontier

Twas alright. Beautiful on-location shots that I really liked; some technical details that I would stumble with the characters just glossed over so I found it hard to believe, but I guess those details weren't the point of the movie. Not particularly awesome of a movie, but still good enough.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2019, 08:04:49 AM »

1. Shirkers (Netflix) - 9
2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
4. First Reformed (Amazon Prime) - 5
5. Minding the Gap (Hulu) - 8
6. If Beale Street Could Talk - 9
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8
9. Remastered: Massacre at the Stadium (Netflix) - 6
10. Wayne's World
11. They Shall Not Grow Old - 8
12. The Favourite - 9
13. Abducted in Plain Sight (Netflix) - 7
14. Leave No Trace - 7
15. Ghostbusters (the "all-women" one) - 6
16. Alita: Battle Angel (in 3D!  on a cruise ship!) - 7
17. Superpower Dogs (in 3D!  on a cruise ship!) - 7
18. Us - 7

19. Too Funny to Fail: The Life and Death of the Dana Carvey Show (Hulu) - 8

Probably only recommend if you like all of the people that are involved in the interviews: Dana Carvey, Steve Carell, Stephen Colbert, Robert Smigel, all of whom were key figures in the creation and destruction of this short-lived 1996 half hour show that was on after Home Improvement for 6 weeks.  The funniest part of the movie is late, when they get everyone's reaction to them being on after Home Improvement and how that hadn't figured in their calculus in making the show AT ALL.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2019, 12:00:24 PM »

1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Twister
3. Super Troopers 2
4. A Quiet Place
5. The Untouchables
7. Rabbit-Proof Fence

8. Shine
9. The Fugitive
10. The Firm
11. Meru

13. The Godfather
14. The Incredibles 2

17. Rampage
19. High Flying Bird
21. The Pelican Brief

22. Deadpool 2
24. Peppermint
25. Crazy Rich Asians
26. Training Day

27. Deadpool
28. Captain Marvel
29. Green Book
30. Lego Movie 2
31. Dead Poets Society
34. Triple Frontier

35. Maverick
36. Reality Bites
37. A Knight's Tale

Maverick: Silly, dumb, entertaining enough. Jodie Foster was astoundingly beautiful in this.

Reality Bites: my wife found it difficult to process that the Winona Ryder character ended up with the wrong guy from her 39 year old perspective when she originally thought that Winona ended up with the right guy (from her teenager perspective). Amazing how age changes you. Unrelated...Gap stores feel like they haven't changed at all, Stiller's 1993 suit fashions were ROUGH to see, and I thought it was fine. I get what they were doing and how important the movie probably was to someone who was mid-twenties in the mid 90s. Also, Ethan Hawke's character sounds like the same character from Before Sunrise, you know?

A Knight's Tale: I compared this movie for someone my age to the importance of Reality Bites to someone 10 years older than me. It's cute, it's fun, it's designed for someone 17-22 years old in 2001 and it's very successful at that. The anachronisms are so gross that you have to just dismiss them, but then...I still get stuck on some of them like the hair styles for Joselyn. Or her dresses. Or the music. Still...very fun.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2019, 02:19:27 PM »

New to me movies in bold

1. Vice
2. The Man Who Knew Too Little
3. Michael Jackson’s This Is It
4. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
5. My Generation
6. Quincy
7. Root Cause
8. Swinging with the Finkels
9. That's Life!
10. Bobby Robson: More than a Manager
11. Drinking Buddles
12. Fyre
13. Fyre Fraud
14. Springsteen on Broadway
15. Absinthe: A Documentary
16. The Old Man and the Gun
17. The Ipcress File
18. Funeral in Berlin
19. Billion Dollar Brain
20. Airborne
21. Catwalk: Tales from the Cat Show Circuit
22. The Wrong Arm of the Law
23. Bros: After the Screaming Stops
24. Can I Be Your Neighbor?
ADDING
25. Teenage Superstars
Nice little documentary about the independent music scene in Glasgow in the late 80’s thru the mid 90’s. The Pastels, Teenage Fanclub, Jesus & Mary Chain and the rather terrible BMX Bandits
26. The Tigers of Scotland
Beautiful documentary about the efforts being made to protect Scottish wildcats, thought to number less than a hundred. Astonishing looking kitties.
27. The Oath
A political comedy that just tried too damn hard to push triggers. Nice idea, poor execution.
28. Saturday Night and Sunday Morning
Rewatch of this classic British kitchen sink drama by way of a tribute to the late, and very great, Albert Finney
29. My Dinner with Hervé
Peculiar subject for a movie (imho). The story of the unlikely relationship between a cynical journalist and (James Bond & Fantasy Island) actor Hervé Villechaize. That said, Peter Dinklage excels.
30. The Happytime Murders
Reviews for this “obscene Muppets” crime story were appalling, so I definitely approached with trepidation. Fuck the reviews, this made me gasp and laugh out loud on far more than just a handful of occasions. Sure it’s puerile nonsense at heart,  but there’s a veritable butt load of scripted and visual gags to keep most entertained. Cult classic in waiting.
31. The Catcher was a Spy
The Movie was a Dud.
32. The Bookshop
Even Bill Nighy couldn’t drag this dull, predictable drama out of the shitter
33. Tea with the Dames (a.k.a. Nothing Like a Dame)
British acting legends Dame Maggie Smith, Dame Judi Dench, Dame Eileen Atkins, and Dame Joan Plowright get together regularly for afternoon tea and cakes and share their tales of being in the profession and being married to other acting legends. Someone had the idea to document one of these gatherings. It provides a delightful 90 mins entertainment, but you can’t help think these glorious ladies did not commit their most juiciest gossip to celluloid!
34. Paddleton
Issues related to my prostate cancer diagnosis has found me crashed on the sofa far more than usual, “putting up” with weakly-scripted nonsense like this and “suffering in silence”
35. Juanita
See (34)
36. Ant-Man and the Wasp
See (34) & (35) and add in some incredulity that I even sat through another bloody Marvel movie.
37. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
When in doubt return to the classics. Everything is perfect about this Guy Ritchie gangland caper. Well, apart from Sting.
38. Free Solo
Really excited to see this added to Hulu, especially after Euro & Dan’s stunning reviews. I found it utterly fascinating, if a little bogged down by “filler” (e.g. his irritating girlfriend). The fact that there are still nutcases out there willing to take on such ridonkulous challenges should give us all hope for the future.   
39. Fahrenheit 11/9
Yeah, Michael Moore doesn’t really do it for me any more. Pointing out the bullshit in American politics when we are constantly force fed bullshit is a historic business model.
40. Glastonbury Fayre
Documentary by way of Nic Roeg about the first ever Glastonbury weekend. Lots of unabashed crowd nudity, drug taking and mud wallowing. Not much by way of musical performances but the opening act does you wonder all over again why Terry Reid was not HUGE!
41. The Queen of Trees
Anyone with the slightest in nature should go to You Tube and watch this fascinating “circle of life” documentary about fig trees. The amount of sustenance one fig tree can produce is mind-boggling.
42. Polar
See (34) & (35)
43. Rolling Stones: Olé Olé Olé - A Trip Across Latin America
The Stones must be one of THE most documented bands in history? This is a great musical travelogue about Mick & Co touring 10 countries in Latin America, culminating in a massive free show in Havana, Cuba. The first band to ever play such a gig, ironically so, given that in the 60’s & 70’s you could get arrested for even listening to “rock & roll” music in Cuba.
Opulence. I has it.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2019, 11:35:45 PM »

Off to a slow start this year, but I'm sure I'll catch up.

1. John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous at Radio City Music Hall- needed something light after Infinity War!
2. Vice  Bale was good, but it was definitely pandering to a specific audience. Also, I thought I'd need heart surgery after all of it!
3. Crazy Rich Asians- needs more Awkwafina.
4. if Beale Street Could Talk really incredible, and should have been nominated for best picture.
5. Fyre Fraud
6. Justice League well, this was not a good movie, and having the stand alones for Wonder Woman and Aquaman come out after this was a bad plan.
7. They Shall Not Grow Old- impressive technical feat. Incredible to see and hear these men who have been gone for so long.
8. Paris is Burning A still-relevant documentary of drag balls in New York in the 1980s.
9. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- still sweet
10. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- look, it was a rough week. I reserve the right to watch cuteness again and again!
11. The Kissing Booth Oh my lord, this was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and I totally hate watched it.
12. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- palate cleanser
13. Thor: Ragnarock
14. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
15. Ibiza- Other than Richard Madden's accent, not much reason to watch. I liked it more the first go-round.
16. The Changeover based on Margaret Mahy's book of the same name. It was not as good as the book, of course, but it was nice to see one of my favorite books on the screen.
17. Isn't it Romantic Cute, and I loved that the New York apartment was appropriately small.
18. Captain Marvel Needed more Goose! Great soundtrack, but I would have loved to have "Cannonball" on it.

19. The Incredibles 2 Netflix, and it kept cutting out, so I couldn't really get into it.
20. Ant Man and the Wasp- I liked it better on repeat viewing, but I am still "meh" on this addition to the MCU
21. Nate Bargatze: The Tennessee Kid Stand up from Old Hickory, TN, which is 20 minutes from where I grew up. And my hometown is name-checked in the final bit, and is waaay too dead on, but still funny.
22. Unicorn Store I wanted more Brie Larson and Sam Jackson, but it was a rather harmless movie.
23. Avengers: Infinity War- I'm gearing up for the final installment at the end of the month!
24. The Breaker Upperers The New Zealand humor appeals to me, and while neither lead is particularly "nice" you are rooting for them to figure it out.
25. Too Funny to Fail: The Life and Death of the Dana Carvey Show I don't even remember the show existing, but it was interesting to see. Carvey is funny.
26. Teen Wolf- It is on Hulu, I wanted to relive junior high!
27. Us I was hiding behind my jacket for much of it, and it's a thinker, but in the cold light of day it isn't too bad.
28. Oh Lucy Oh, boy this was not good. I started watching because it had Josh Harnett, and it just took a strange left turn.
29. Iron Man 2- Rewatch, since I didn't remember it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 12:10:22 AM by va-vacious »

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2019, 09:02:04 AM »

a new year!
i have also been mining the movie thread for ideas. thanks to all of you!

1. mowgli - netflix; it was ok, found it difficult to get into it, probably because i grew up on the disney animated version. this is nothing like disney at all.
2. cargo - netflix; aussie zombie movie with martin freeman as the father trying to survive the "ghosts". interesting take on the zombie genre.
3. jurassic park - hbo; the dino's are still great. the plot holes get worse with age.
4. jurassic park 2 - hbo; recorded a bunch of movies during a free weekend. this was one of them. not sure why i watched it again.
5. jurassic park 3 - hbo; not a bad watch on a crappy, cold, and rainy morning.
6. thor: ragnarok - netflix; i liked the extra campiness and humor interjected through the story. goldblum was really good as the crazy leader. filled in some holes i had in the MCU. enjoyed.
7. the breadwinner - netflix; animated, about a young girl living in taliban controlled afghanistan. interesting, and clearly showed the taliban to be evil. enjoyed.
8. how to train your dragon 3 - the lyon; cute finish for the dragon world and the town of berk. enjoyed.
9. how to train your dragon 3 - mjr, waterford, mi; repeat viewing with a friend and her child. still enjoyed it. was able to focus on the animation and the background. they did a really good job.
10. stardust - netflix; adaptation of the Gaiman book. watched it back in 2007. didn't remember much about it. good fun. an uplifting fairy tale full of bad witches, revenge minded princes, and our noble common man with a star. happy ending. enjoyed.
11. pan's labyrinth - netflix; such a good movie. if you haven't seen it, watch it.
12. Hellboy - Netflix; rewatching the previous hellboy's for the upcoming release of the newest one. still good fun.
13. infinity war - netflix; rewatch to gear up for the new release. the military strategy of wakanda still bothers me.
14. inglorious bastards - dvr; didn't like it as much as i did. seemed to plod along.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2019, 10:37:20 AM »

1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Twister
3. Super Troopers 2
4. A Quiet Place
5. The Untouchables
7. Rabbit-Proof Fence

8. Shine
9. The Fugitive
10. The Firm
11. Meru

13. The Godfather
14. The Incredibles 2

17. Rampage
19. High Flying Bird
21. The Pelican Brief

22. Deadpool 2
24. Peppermint
25. Crazy Rich Asians
26. Training Day

27. Deadpool
28. Captain Marvel
29. Green Book
30. Lego Movie 2
31. Dead Poets Society
34. Triple Frontier

35. Maverick
36. Reality Bites
37. A Knight's Tale
38. Major League
39. The Natural

Seems like I've got baseball on my mind.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2019, 09:44:17 AM »

1. ALWAYS IN THE CARLYLE - 01/02/19 - STARZ - A captivating documentary that wisely spends more time on the tenured staff and glorious interior of the legendary hotel than on the antics of its famed guests. Light and lovely.
2. ON THE BASIS OF SEX - 01/06/19 - Tara Cinemas - Armie Hammer can GET IT.
3. VICE - 01/08/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - Bale's performance was incredible, but I didn't really enjoy much more than that. I didn't like the narrator device for telling the story and didn't like the pacing of film. It was all over the place and too "winky-winky did you see what we did there?" for me.
4. BOOMERANG - 01/12/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Haven't seen this in a long time but still remember every word and every song. Excited to see what Lena Waithe and Halle Berry do with this for TV. "CO-OOOOOOOOOOOOOORDINATE."
5. IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK - 01/15/19 - AMC Parkway Pointe w/va_vacious - A beautiful tragedy. After that family gathering scene, I'm ready to finally read some Baldwin.
6. FREE SOLO - 01/19/19 - AMC Barrett Commons - Now that was a fun ride! I didn't get to see it in IMAX but still felt like it was a wonderful film experience.
7. GLASS - 01/20/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Gwynne and Beth - I fell asleep MULTIPLE times. Nothing about this movie seemed necessary or entertaining.
8. BUMBLEBEE - 01/22/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - Probably the most enjoyable of all of the TRANSFORMERS movies, mostly because I didn't hear one mention of the "AllSpark". Also, Pamela Adlon in a TRANSFORMERS MOVIE???!!!! Fun tunes throughout.
9. EIGHTH GRADE - 01/26/19 - Amazon Prime - In 8th grade, my best friend quit being friends with me because I wasn't cool enough. I wrote her a poem to try and tell her how much it hurt me and she basically laughed in my face. It was the most devastating break-up of my life. So, yeah. 8th grade sucked. I totally get all of the emotions in this movie. Bonus, that banana scene had me crying with laughter.
10. TULLY - 01/27/19 - HBO - Hug a mom. They probably need it. Diablo Cody's writing doesn't disappoint.
11. LEAVE NO TRACE - 01/29/19 - Amazon Prime - The actress who plays Tom should win ALL THE THINGS.
12. CHiPs - 01/30/19 - HBO - Yes, it's very dumb. But, I find Dax Shepard and Michael Peña to be very charismatic. So, I was willing to take the ride with them for some crazy car and motorcycle chases and dick jokes.
13. FIRST REFORMED - 02/02/19 - Amazon Prime - I'm not totally sure for whom this movie was intended. It had some beautifuly cinematic moments towards the end and Ethan Hawke does act the fuck out of it (as noted by Butter). But, it isn't something that I would watch again.
14. PULP FICTION - 02/07/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Three Little Fonzies.
15. ROMA - 02/10/19 - Netflix - Having lived in a middle-class home on the outskirts of Mexico City in the 90s, I can definitely confirm that this movie moved me and made me miss so many things about that city and country. Cleo's "moment" on the beach made me sob and I really appreciated the beauty of how the film was shot. But, the rest of the movie really left me cold except for my own nostalgia.
16. TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE - 02/14/19 - Netflix - repeat viewing - The Greg was out of town so I picked PeterKavinsky (one word) to be my valentine.
17. TAG - 03/02/19 - HBO - repeat viewing (but with friends, Gwynner and Tiffers, this time) - The Jeremy Renner voice-overs were even funnier in the second viewing. "I speed-bag him."
18. PERIOD. END OF SENTENCE. - 03/09/19 - Netflix - I feel like I got a lot more information about the mission of The Pad Project from interviews with the filmmakers than I did from the actual movie. VERY interesting subject, but this seemed to focus more on the adult woman making the pads with the pad machine than it did on the school-aged girls who were supposed to benefit from the machine.
19. THE BREAKER UPPERERS - 03/09/19 - Netflix - There were some great scenes that felt like they came out of an old PJ Hogan movie but the movie sort of went off for me when the two leads split off from each other.
20. TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE - 03/09/19 - Netflix - repeat viewing
21. FIGHTING WITH MY FAMILY - 03/17/19 - AMC Classic Cartersville
22. CAPTAIN MARVEL - 03/06/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - It was OK. I liked all the LADY TOP GUN + Sam Jackson bits the best. They should have just made LADY TOP GUN + Sam Jackson instead. All of the Kree stuff was just blaaaaaaarg.
23. US - 03/07/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - I think the trailers put our stomachs in knots but the movie wasn't as scary as we feared it would be. I definitely want to see it again to work out some things in my head.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2019, 06:03:15 PM »

New to me movies in bold

1. Vice
2. The Man Who Knew Too Little
3. Michael Jackson’s This Is It
4. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
5. My Generation
6. Quincy
7. Root Cause
8. Swinging with the Finkels
9. That's Life!
10. Bobby Robson: More than a Manager
11. Drinking Buddles
12. Fyre
13. Fyre Fraud
14. Springsteen on Broadway
15. Absinthe: A Documentary
16. The Old Man and the Gun
17. The Ipcress File
18. Funeral in Berlin
19. Billion Dollar Brain
20. Airborne
21. Catwalk: Tales from the Cat Show Circuit
22. The Wrong Arm of the Law
23. Bros: After the Screaming Stops
24. Can I Be Your Neighbor?
25. Teenage Superstars
26. The Tigers of Scotland
27. The Oath
28. Saturday Night and Sunday Morning
29. My Dinner with Hervé
30. The Happytime Murders
31. The Catcher was a Spy
32. The Bookshop
33. Tea with the Dames (a.k.a. Nothing Like a Dame)
34. Paddleton
35. Juanita
36. Ant-Man and the Wasp
37. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
38. Free Solo
39. Fahrenheit 11/9
40. Glastonbury Fayre
41. The Queen of Trees
42. Polar
43. Rolling Stones: Olé Olé Olé - A Trip Across Latin America
ADDING
44. Incredibles 2
Not a patch on the first one, but still head & (broad) shoulders above many other movies kicking about.
45. The Dirt
Mötley Crüe get the Spïnäl Täp treatment. Horrible, but still better than Bohemian Rhapsody.
46. Studio 54: The Documentary
I’d heard about Studio 54 growing up in England, but did not know about the tax and money laundering scandal that ended up closing the place down. Fascinating stuff.
47. Dead in a Week (or Your Money Back)
A young man outsources his suicide to an aging professional assassin. Quite entertaining black humour throughout, Tom Wilkinson wonderful as usual.
48. First Man
One small step for a man, one giant leap backwards for movie making. Dull as fuck.
49. Don’t Worry He Won’t Get Far on Foot
Highly engaging tale based on the life of satirical cartoonist John Callahan who becomes a quadriplegic after a car accident. Joaquin Phoenix excels.
50. Life of Brian
Annual viewing
51. Will You Ever Forgive Me?
True story of Lee Israel, celebrity biographer who turned to deception/crime in order to keep her head above water. Melissa McCarthy is great, Richard E Grant is better as her sleazy accomplice.
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2019, 10:33:07 PM »

CR, agreed as to First Man. Watch instead the new documentary "Apollo 11" (preferably on the big screen). Absolutely stunning. Made the hairs stand up on my arms. (As a complete aside, it has been 47 years since we put a man on the moon. 47! And where is the NASA space program now? Nowhere. Just stunning.)
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2019, 09:41:46 AM »

Probably only recommend if you like all of the people that are involved in the interviews: Dana Carvey, Steve Carell, Stephen Colbert, Robert Smigel, all of whom were key figures in the creation and destruction of this short-lived 1996 half hour show that was on after Home Improvement for 6 weeks.  The funniest part of the movie is late, when they get everyone's reaction to them being on after Home Improvement and how that hadn't figured in their calculus in making the show AT ALL.

I didn't know this was a thing.  We'll have to seek that out.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2019, 01:21:25 PM »

1. Vice (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
2. Bumblebee (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
3. Escape Room (Kenwood Theater)
4. King In the Wilderness (HBO on Demand)
5. On The Basis of Sex (Mariemont Theater)
6. If Beale Street Could Talk (Esquire Theater)
7. Bright Lights: Starring Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher (HBO on Demand)
8. Beware Slenderman (HBO on Demand)
9. If You're Not in the Obits, Eat Breakfast (HBO on Demand)
10. Shoplifters (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
11. Rain Man (EPIX)
12. Rock and a Hard Place (HBO on Demand)
13. Cold War (Esquire Theater)
14. They Shall Not Grow Old 3D (Cinemark Oakley)
15. Stan & Ollie (Mariemont Theater)
16. Budapest Noire (2019 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival @ Esquire Theater)
17. The Last Suit (2019 Jewish & Israeli Fim Festival @ Mariemont Theater)
18. Cold Pursuit (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
19. Capernaum (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
20. When the Smoke Clears (2019 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival @ Mariemont Theater)
21. Arctic (Esquire Theater)
22. Greta (Esquire Theater)
23. Everybody Knows (Mariemont Theater)
24. Never Look Away (Esquire Theater)
25. To Dust (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
26. Climax (Esquire Theater)
27. The Wedding Guest (Mariemont Theater)
28. Gloria Bell (Mariemont Theater)
29. Apollo 11 (Mariemont Theater)
30. Birds of Passage (Esquire Theater)

Updating the last 3 weeks:

31. Ash Is Purest White (Landmark West End Cinema, Washington, DC)
32. The Hummingbird Project (Mariemont Theater)
33. Hotel Mumbai (AMC Newport On the Levee)
34. The Mustang (Esquire Theater)
35. Diane (Mariemont Theater)
36. The Public (Esquite Theater)
37. Woman At War (Esquire Theater)
38. Mapplethorpe (Esquire Theater)
39. Mary Magdalene (Mariemont Theater)
40. The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley (HBO On Demand)

Ash Is Purest White is the latest movie from Chinese writer-director Jia Zhanke, with again Zhao Tao (a/ka/ Mrs. Jia in real life) in the main role. A tidbit too long for its own good (2 1/2 hrs.), but still very much worth checking out if you can.

The Hummingbird Project fancies itself as the next The Big Short, but falls... short, way short.

The Mustang is a top-notch drama about a hard-nosed convict in a Nevada prison who bonds with a horse. Sounds like a silly premise, but it plays out wonderfully. Belgian actor Matthias Schoenaerts as the convict is simply outstanding.

The Public, the latest from writer-producer-actor-director Emilio Estevez, is worth checking out for one reason, and one reason only: it is filmed entirely in Cincinnati, much of it in the Main Library.

Woman At War is an entertaining and even touching comedy-drama from Iceland about a woman determined to sabotage the local Rio Tinte plant. Unintended consequences and plot twists make this a lot more complicated and worth watching.

Mapplethorpe is a bio-pic of the controversial photographer, direct by Ondi Timoner (best known for her music documentary DIG!). The movie is not bad, but neither is it great. The movie's closing credits reference "The Perfect Moment" traveling exhibit in 1989-90, where upon its exhibition at the Contemporary Arts Center here in Cincinnati in Spring of 1990, the CAC was charged with obscenity, the first museum ever to face such a charge, the movie reminds us. The CAC was subsequently acquitted by a unanimous jury, but the film makers "accidentally forget" to mention this inconvenient detail in the movie's closing credits... Following Saturday's screening, there was an insightful, free-flowing half hour Q&A session with Louis Sirkin, the Cincinnati lawyer who successfully defended the CAC against that obscenity indictment. That Q&A was better than the movie itself.

Mary Magdalene: whoever came up with the idea of casting Joaquin Phoenix as Jesus should be fired and forever banned from the movie industry.How did the film makers not notice this was an utter miscast? Rooney Mara in the tile role fares a little better (but not much), due to the underlying weak script that seems to have been done strictly by the numbers.

The Inventor is a documentary about the rise and fall of Elizabeth Holmes and her biotech company Theranos. I had vaguely heard about this. When a company implodes from being valued at 10 billion to less than zero, you can well imagine there are some things to uncover. And uncover they did. Worth checking out.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2019, 01:59:08 PM »

1. Shirkers (Netflix) - 9
2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
4. First Reformed (Amazon Prime) - 5
5. Minding the Gap (Hulu) - 8
6. If Beale Street Could Talk - 9
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8
9. Remastered: Massacre at the Stadium (Netflix) - 6
10. Wayne's World
11. They Shall Not Grow Old - 8
12. The Favourite - 9
13. Abducted in Plain Sight (Netflix) - 7
14. Leave No Trace - 7
15. Ghostbusters (the "all-women" one) - 6
16. Alita: Battle Angel (in 3D!  on a cruise ship!) - 7
17. Superpower Dogs (in 3D!  on a cruise ship!) - 7
18. Us - 7

20. Captain Marvel - 7

Awaiting the Brie Larson / Samuel L. Jackson buddy road or cop comedy.  I'd watch the shit out of that.  As it is, this did a fine job of advancing the ball in the ridiculously long Marvel series, and I will be relieved when it finally comes to an end.  I feel compelled to finish this shit out.  Marvel has gotten really good at "comfort food" movies, movies that make you feel good while you're watching them but ultimately come to very little.

Also, some of the anti-aging CGI was really painfully obvious, such as the white Shield Agent dude.  Clark Gregg, right?  I don't even know if that was him or he was just 100% CGI in there.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2019, 09:55:26 AM »

Also, some of the anti-aging CGI was really painfully obvious, such as the white Shield Agent dude.  Clark Gregg, right?  I don't even know if that was him or he was just 100% CGI in there.

Phil Colson... yes, painfully terrible CGI at times.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2019, 10:14:42 AM »

1. ALWAYS IN THE CARLYLE - 01/02/19 - STARZ - A captivating documentary that wisely spends more time on the tenured staff and glorious interior of the legendary hotel than on the antics of its famed guests. Light and lovely.
2. ON THE BASIS OF SEX - 01/06/19 - Tara Cinemas - Armie Hammer can GET IT.
3. VICE - 01/08/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - Bale's performance was incredible, but I didn't really enjoy much more than that. I didn't like the narrator device for telling the story and didn't like the pacing of film. It was all over the place and too "winky-winky did you see what we did there?" for me.
4. BOOMERANG - 01/12/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Haven't seen this in a long time but still remember every word and every song. Excited to see what Lena Waithe and Halle Berry do with this for TV. "CO-OOOOOOOOOOOOOORDINATE."
5. IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK - 01/15/19 - AMC Parkway Pointe w/va_vacious - A beautiful tragedy. After that family gathering scene, I'm ready to finally read some Baldwin.
6. FREE SOLO - 01/19/19 - AMC Barrett Commons - Now that was a fun ride! I didn't get to see it in IMAX but still felt like it was a wonderful film experience.
7. GLASS - 01/20/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Gwynne and Beth - I fell asleep MULTIPLE times. Nothing about this movie seemed necessary or entertaining.
8. BUMBLEBEE - 01/22/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - Probably the most enjoyable of all of the TRANSFORMERS movies, mostly because I didn't hear one mention of the "AllSpark". Also, Pamela Adlon in a TRANSFORMERS MOVIE???!!!! Fun tunes throughout.
9. EIGHTH GRADE - 01/26/19 - Amazon Prime - In 8th grade, my best friend quit being friends with me because I wasn't cool enough. I wrote her a poem to try and tell her how much it hurt me and she basically laughed in my face. It was the most devastating break-up of my life. So, yeah. 8th grade sucked. I totally get all of the emotions in this movie. Bonus, that banana scene had me crying with laughter.
10. TULLY - 01/27/19 - HBO - Hug a mom. They probably need it. Diablo Cody's writing doesn't disappoint.
11. LEAVE NO TRACE - 01/29/19 - Amazon Prime - The actress who plays Tom should win ALL THE THINGS.
12. CHiPs - 01/30/19 - HBO - Yes, it's very dumb. But, I find Dax Shepard and Michael Peña to be very charismatic. So, I was willing to take the ride with them for some crazy car and motorcycle chases and dick jokes.
13. FIRST REFORMED - 02/02/19 - Amazon Prime - I'm not totally sure for whom this movie was intended. It had some beautifuly cinematic moments towards the end and Ethan Hawke does act the fuck out of it (as noted by Butter). But, it isn't something that I would watch again.
14. PULP FICTION - 02/07/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Three Little Fonzies.
15. ROMA - 02/10/19 - Netflix - Having lived in a middle-class home on the outskirts of Mexico City in the 90s, I can definitely confirm that this movie moved me and made me miss so many things about that city and country. Cleo's "moment" on the beach made me sob and I really appreciated the beauty of how the film was shot. But, the rest of the movie really left me cold except for my own nostalgia.
16. TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE - 02/14/19 - Netflix - repeat viewing - The Greg was out of town so I picked PeterKavinsky (one word) to be my valentine.
17. TAG - 03/02/19 - HBO - repeat viewing (but with friends, Gwynner and Tiffers, this time) - The Jeremy Renner voice-overs were even funnier in the second viewing. "I speed-bag him."
18. PERIOD. END OF SENTENCE. - 03/09/19 - Netflix - I feel like I got a lot more information about the mission of The Pad Project from interviews with the filmmakers than I did from the actual movie. VERY interesting subject, but this seemed to focus more on the adult woman making the pads with the pad machine than it did on the school-aged girls who were supposed to benefit from the machine.
19. THE BREAKER UPPERERS - 03/09/19 - Netflix - There were some great scenes that felt like they came out of an old PJ Hogan movie but the movie sort of went off for me when the two leads split off from each other.
20. TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE - 03/09/19 - Netflix - repeat viewing
21. FIGHTING WITH MY FAMILY - 03/17/19 - AMC Classic Cartersville
22. CAPTAIN MARVEL - 03/06/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - It was OK. I liked all the LADY TOP GUN + Sam Jackson bits the best. They should have just made LADY TOP GUN + Sam Jackson instead. All of the Kree stuff was just blaaaaaaarg.
23. US - 03/07/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - I think the trailers put our stomachs in knots but the movie wasn't as scary as we feared it would be. I definitely want to see it again to work out some things in my head.
24. OLD SCHOOL - 04/13/19 - Amazon Prime - w/Belles - repeat viewing - "Cheeeee-eeee-eeee-eeeeeese."
25. AQUAMAN - 04/13/19 - Amazon Prime - w/Belles - We paid partial attention to this and I think that is probably all the attention that it needed.
26. LITTLE - 04/14/19 - AMC Barrett Commons - Sadly, the best parts were all in the trailer. Marsai Martin is definitely a star, but this movie was pretty flat.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19   Go Up