Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2019  (Read 7775 times)

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
Re: 50 Movies in 2019
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2019, 10:11:35 PM »

1. John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous at Radio City Music Hall- needed something light after Infinity War!
2. Vice  Bale was good, but it was definitely pandering to a specific audience. Also, I thought I'd need heart surgery after all of it!
3. Crazy Rich Asians- needs more Awkwafina.
4. if Beale Street Could Talk really incredible, and should have been nominated for best picture.
5. Fyre Fraud
6. Justice League well, this was not a good movie, and having the stand alones for Wonder Woman and Aquaman come out after this was a bad plan.
7. They Shall Not Grow Old- impressive technical feat. Incredible to see and hear these men who have been gone for so long.
8. Paris is Burning A still-relevant documentary of drag balls in New York in the 1980s.
9. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- still sweet
10. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- look, it was a rough week. I reserve the right to watch cuteness again and again!
11. The Kissing Booth Oh my lord, this was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and I totally hate watched it.
12. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- palate cleanser
13. Thor: Ragnarock
14. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
15. Ibiza- Other than Richard Madden's accent, not much reason to watch. I liked it more the first go-round.
16. The Changeover based on Margaret Mahy's book of the same name. It was not as good as the book, of course, but it was nice to see one of my favorite books on the screen.
17. Isn't it Romantic Cute, and I loved that the New York apartment was appropriately small.
18. Captain Marvel Needed more Goose! Great soundtrack, but I would have loved to have "Cannonball" on it.
19. The Incredibles 2 Netflix, and it kept cutting out, so I couldn't really get into it.
20. Ant Man and the Wasp- I liked it better on repeat viewing, but I am still "meh" on this addition to the MCU
21. Nate Bargatze: The Tennessee Kid Stand up from Old Hickory, TN, which is 20 minutes from where I grew up. And my hometown is name-checked in the final bit, and is waaay too dead on, but still funny.
22. Unicorn Store I wanted more Brie Larson and Sam Jackson, but it was a rather harmless movie.
23. Avengers: Infinity War- I'm gearing up for the final installment at the end of the month!
24. The Breaker Upperers The New Zealand humor appeals to me, and while neither lead is particularly "nice" you are rooting for them to figure it out.
25. Too Funny to Fail: The Life and Death of the Dana Carvey Show I don't even remember the show existing, but it was interesting to see. Carvey is funny.
26. Teen Wolf- It is on Hulu, I wanted to relive junior high!
27. Us I was hiding behind my jacket for much of it, and it's a thinker, but in the cold light of day it isn't too bad.
28. Oh Lucy Oh, boy this was not good. I started watching because it had Josh Harnett, and it just took a strange left turn.
29. Iron Man 2- Rewatch, since I didn't remember it.

30. The Perfect Date Peter Kavinsky, erm, Noah Centinio is a guy who sets up an app for a Stand In date. This should have been the name of the movie instead of the Perfect Date. It was cute.
31. The Edge of Seventeen You could not pay me to be a teen again. I would have liked it better if both siblings had had the focus, rather than just Nadine. Hallie Steinfeld does a great job, and Woody Harrelson was excellent, too.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2019, 08:30:27 AM »

1. ALWAYS IN THE CARLYLE - 01/02/19 - STARZ - A captivating documentary that wisely spends more time on the tenured staff and glorious interior of the legendary hotel than on the antics of its famed guests. Light and lovely.
2. ON THE BASIS OF SEX - 01/06/19 - Tara Cinemas - Armie Hammer can GET IT.
3. VICE - 01/08/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - Bale's performance was incredible, but I didn't really enjoy much more than that. I didn't like the narrator device for telling the story and didn't like the pacing of film. It was all over the place and too "winky-winky did you see what we did there?" for me.
4. BOOMERANG - 01/12/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Haven't seen this in a long time but still remember every word and every song. Excited to see what Lena Waithe and Halle Berry do with this for TV. "CO-OOOOOOOOOOOOOORDINATE."
5. IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK - 01/15/19 - AMC Parkway Pointe w/va_vacious - A beautiful tragedy. After that family gathering scene, I'm ready to finally read some Baldwin.
6. FREE SOLO - 01/19/19 - AMC Barrett Commons - Now that was a fun ride! I didn't get to see it in IMAX but still felt like it was a wonderful film experience.
7. GLASS - 01/20/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Gwynne and Beth - I fell asleep MULTIPLE times. Nothing about this movie seemed necessary or entertaining.
8. BUMBLEBEE - 01/22/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - Probably the most enjoyable of all of the TRANSFORMERS movies, mostly because I didn't hear one mention of the "AllSpark". Also, Pamela Adlon in a TRANSFORMERS MOVIE???!!!! Fun tunes throughout.
9. EIGHTH GRADE - 01/26/19 - Amazon Prime - In 8th grade, my best friend quit being friends with me because I wasn't cool enough. I wrote her a poem to try and tell her how much it hurt me and she basically laughed in my face. It was the most devastating break-up of my life. So, yeah. 8th grade sucked. I totally get all of the emotions in this movie. Bonus, that banana scene had me crying with laughter.
10. TULLY - 01/27/19 - HBO - Hug a mom. They probably need it. Diablo Cody's writing doesn't disappoint.
11. LEAVE NO TRACE - 01/29/19 - Amazon Prime - The actress who plays Tom should win ALL THE THINGS.
12. CHiPs - 01/30/19 - HBO - Yes, it's very dumb. But, I find Dax Shepard and Michael Peņa to be very charismatic. So, I was willing to take the ride with them for some crazy car and motorcycle chases and dick jokes.
13. FIRST REFORMED - 02/02/19 - Amazon Prime - I'm not totally sure for whom this movie was intended. It had some beautifuly cinematic moments towards the end and Ethan Hawke does act the fuck out of it (as noted by Butter). But, it isn't something that I would watch again.
14. PULP FICTION - 02/07/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Three Little Fonzies.
15. ROMA - 02/10/19 - Netflix - Having lived in a middle-class home on the outskirts of Mexico City in the 90s, I can definitely confirm that this movie moved me and made me miss so many things about that city and country. Cleo's "moment" on the beach made me sob and I really appreciated the beauty of how the film was shot. But, the rest of the movie really left me cold except for my own nostalgia.
16. TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE - 02/14/19 - Netflix - repeat viewing - The Greg was out of town so I picked PeterKavinsky (one word) to be my valentine.
17. TAG - 03/02/19 - HBO - repeat viewing (but with friends, Gwynner and Tiffers, this time) - The Jeremy Renner voice-overs were even funnier in the second viewing. "I speed-bag him."
18. PERIOD. END OF SENTENCE. - 03/09/19 - Netflix - I feel like I got a lot more information about the mission of The Pad Project from interviews with the filmmakers than I did from the actual movie. VERY interesting subject, but this seemed to focus more on the adult woman making the pads with the pad machine than it did on the school-aged girls who were supposed to benefit from the machine.
19. THE BREAKER UPPERERS - 03/09/19 - Netflix - There were some great scenes that felt like they came out of an old PJ Hogan movie but the movie sort of went off for me when the two leads split off from each other.
20. TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE - 03/09/19 - Netflix - repeat viewing
21. FIGHTING WITH MY FAMILY - 03/17/19 - AMC Classic Cartersville
22. CAPTAIN MARVEL - 03/06/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - It was OK. I liked all the LADY TOP GUN + Sam Jackson bits the best. They should have just made LADY TOP GUN + Sam Jackson instead. All of the Kree stuff was just blaaaaaaarg.
23. US - 03/07/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - I think the trailers put our stomachs in knots but the movie wasn't as scary as we feared it would be. I definitely want to see it again to work out some things in my head.
24. OLD SCHOOL - 04/13/19 - Amazon Prime - w/Belles - repeat viewing - "Cheeeee-eeee-eeee-eeeeeese."
25. AQUAMAN - 04/13/19 - Amazon Prime - w/Belles - We paid partial attention to this and I think that is probably all the attention that it needed.
26. LITTLE - 04/14/19 - AMC Barrett Commons - Sadly, the best parts were all in the trailer. Marsai Martin is definitely a star, but this movie was pretty flat.
27. ISN'T IT ROMANTIC - 04/19/19 - Marietta Picture Show w/ Mom - More fun than I thought it would be, especially the karaoke scene.
28. BREAKTHROUGH - 04/20/19 - AMC Parkway Pointe w/Mom - The kind of movie you see with your mom who goes to church EVERY week, even when she's on vacation. The movie did push through on a couple of more nuanced questions/issues than I thought that it would. So, that was a nice surprise. Also, I cried. A LOT. I didn't want to cry. But, goodness. The tears. So many tears.
29. HOTEL MUMBAI - 04/21/19 - Regal Town Center w/Mom - A brutal movie to watch, especially with the news from Sri Lanka yesterday. Luckily, I hadn't heard about that before seeing the movie. I don't think I could have taken it. The violence of those attacks is not glossed over in some Hollywood action thriller kind of way. It might be the most violent movie I've ever seen.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2019, 01:29:12 PM »

1. Shirkers (Netflix) - 9
2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
4. First Reformed (Amazon Prime) - 5
5. Minding the Gap (Hulu) - 8
6. If Beale Street Could Talk - 9
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8
9. Remastered: Massacre at the Stadium (Netflix) - 6
10. Wayne's World
11. They Shall Not Grow Old - 8
12. The Favourite - 9
13. Abducted in Plain Sight (Netflix) - 7
14. Leave No Trace - 7
15. Ghostbusters (the "all-women" one) - 6
16. Alita: Battle Angel (in 3D!  on a cruise ship!) - 7
17. Superpower Dogs (in 3D!  on a cruise ship!) - 7
18. Us - 7
19. Too Funny to Fail: The Life and Death of the Dana Carvey Show (Hulu) - 8
20. Captain Marvel - 7

21. Period. End of Sentence. - 9

Oscar winner for Best Documentary Short this year, this is an unflinching look at how menstruation is viewed in Indian society, and how some folks (men and women) aim to combat the stigma.  On Netflix.

22. Free Solo - 8

I was real close to seeing this in IMAX on the cruise we went on a few weeks ago.  But they only showed it once and it conflicted with another activity, so I caught it on Hulu recently.  Much like sports on DVR, it takes away some of the intrigue if I know how the big set piece ends up, as I did here.  But the look at his relationship and how emotionally stunted he is was quite intriguing.  Well worth the time, even if I did miss out on the big screen grandeur of El Capitan.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #123 on: April 25, 2019, 09:54:57 AM »

1. ALWAYS IN THE CARLYLE - 01/02/19 - STARZ - A captivating documentary that wisely spends more time on the tenured staff and glorious interior of the legendary hotel than on the antics of its famed guests. Light and lovely.
3. VICE - 01/08/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - Bale's performance was incredible, but I didn't really enjoy much more than that. I didn't like the narrator device for telling the story and didn't like the pacing of film. It was all over the place and too "winky-winky did you see what we did there?" for me.
4. BOOMERANG - 01/12/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Haven't seen this in a long time but still remember every word and every song. Excited to see what Lena Waithe and Halle Berry do with this for TV. "CO-OOOOOOOOOOOOOORDINATE."
5. IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK - 01/15/19 - AMC Parkway Pointe w/va_vacious - A beautiful tragedy. After that family gathering scene, I'm ready to finally read some Baldwin.
6. FREE SOLO - 01/19/19 - AMC Barrett Commons - Now that was a fun ride! I didn't get to see it in IMAX but still felt like it was a wonderful film experience.
7. GLASS - 01/20/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Gwynne and Beth - I fell asleep MULTIPLE times. Nothing about this movie seemed necessary or entertaining.
8. BUMBLEBEE - 01/22/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - Probably the most enjoyable of all of the TRANSFORMERS movies, mostly because I didn't hear one mention of the "AllSpark". Also, Pamela Adlon in a TRANSFORMERS MOVIE???!!!! Fun tunes throughout.
9. EIGHTH GRADE - 01/26/19 - Amazon Prime - In 8th grade, my best friend quit being friends with me because I wasn't cool enough. I wrote her a poem to try and tell her how much it hurt me and she basically laughed in my face. It was the most devastating break-up of my life. So, yeah. 8th grade sucked. I totally get all of the emotions in this movie. Bonus, that banana scene had me crying with laughter.
10. TULLY - 01/27/19 - HBO - Hug a mom. They probably need it. Diablo Cody's writing doesn't disappoint.
11. LEAVE NO TRACE - 01/29/19 - Amazon Prime - The actress who plays Tom should win ALL THE THINGS.
12. CHiPs - 01/30/19 - HBO - Yes, it's very dumb. But, I find Dax Shepard and Michael Peņa to be very charismatic. So, I was willing to take the ride with them for some crazy car and motorcycle chases and dick jokes.
13. FIRST REFORMED - 02/02/19 - Amazon Prime - I'm not totally sure for whom this movie was intended. It had some beautifuly cinematic moments towards the end and Ethan Hawke does act the fuck out of it (as noted by Butter). But, it isn't something that I would watch again.
15. ROMA - 02/10/19 - Netflix - Having lived in a middle-class home on the outskirts of Mexico City in the 90s, I can definitely confirm that this movie moved me and made me miss so many things about that city and country. Cleo's "moment" on the beach made me sob and I really appreciated the beauty of how the film was shot. But, the rest of the movie really left me cold except for my own nostalgia.
16. TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE - 02/14/19 - Netflix - repeat viewing - The Greg was out of town so I picked PeterKavinsky (one word) to be my valentine.
17. TAG - 03/02/19 - HBO - repeat viewing (but with friends, Gwynner and Tiffers, this time) - The Jeremy Renner voice-overs were even funnier in the second viewing. "I speed-bag him."
18. PERIOD. END OF SENTENCE. - 03/09/19 - Netflix - I feel like I got a lot more information about the mission of The Pad Project from interviews with the filmmakers than I did from the actual movie. VERY interesting subject, but this seemed to focus more on the adult woman making the pads with the pad machine than it did on the school-aged girls who were supposed to benefit from the machine.
19. THE BREAKER UPPERERS - 03/09/19 - Netflix - There were some great scenes that felt like they came out of an old PJ Hogan movie but the movie sort of went off for me when the two leads split off from each other.
22. CAPTAIN MARVEL - 03/06/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - It was OK. I liked all the LADY TOP GUN + Sam Jackson bits the best. They should have just made LADY TOP GUN + Sam Jackson instead. All of the Kree stuff was just blaaaaaaarg.
23. US - 03/07/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - I think the trailers put our stomachs in knots but the movie wasn't as scary as we feared it would be. I definitely want to see it again to work out some things in my head.
24. OLD SCHOOL - 04/13/19 - Amazon Prime - w/Belles - repeat viewing - "Cheeeee-eeee-eeee-eeeeeese."
25. AQUAMAN - 04/13/19 - Amazon Prime - w/Belles - We paid partial attention to this and I think that is probably all the attention that it needed.
26. LITTLE - 04/14/19 - AMC Barrett Commons - Sadly, the best parts were all in the trailer. Marsai Martin is definitely a star, but this movie was pretty flat.
27. ISN'T IT ROMANTIC - 04/19/19 - Marietta Picture Show w/ Mom - More fun than I thought it would be, especially the karaoke scene.
28. BREAKTHROUGH - 04/20/19 - AMC Parkway Pointe w/Mom - The kind of movie you see with your mom who goes to church EVERY week, even when she's on vacation. The movie did push through on a couple of more nuanced questions/issues than I thought that it would. So, that was a nice surprise. Also, I cried. A LOT. I didn't want to cry. But, goodness. The tears. So many tears.
29. HOTEL MUMBAI - 04/21/19 - Regal Town Center w/Mom - A brutal movie to watch, especially with the news from Sri Lanka yesterday. Luckily, I hadn't heard about that before seeing the movie. I don't think I could have taken it. The violence of those attacks is not glossed over in some Hollywood action thriller kind of way. It might be the most violent movie I've ever seen.
30. HOMECOMING - 04/25/19 - Netflix - Amaaaaaaaaaaazing concert film. I am still in awe. BOW DOWN. Even folks who don't like Beyonce must realize that the scale and ambition of this performance - especially for a 2 night festival show - are outstanding.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2019, 02:38:40 PM »

a new year!
i have also been mining the movie thread for ideas. thanks to all of you!

1. mowgli - netflix; it was ok, found it difficult to get into it, probably because i grew up on the disney animated version. this is nothing like disney at all.
2. cargo - netflix; aussie zombie movie with martin freeman as the father trying to survive the "ghosts". interesting take on the zombie genre.
3. jurassic park - hbo; the dino's are still great. the plot holes get worse with age.
4. jurassic park 2 - hbo; recorded a bunch of movies during a free weekend. this was one of them. not sure why i watched it again.
5. jurassic park 3 - hbo; not a bad watch on a crappy, cold, and rainy morning.
6. thor: ragnarok - netflix; i liked the extra campiness and humor interjected through the story. goldblum was really good as the crazy leader. filled in some holes i had in the MCU. enjoyed.
7. the breadwinner - netflix; animated, about a young girl living in taliban controlled afghanistan. interesting, and clearly showed the taliban to be evil. enjoyed.
8. how to train your dragon 3 - the lyon; cute finish for the dragon world and the town of berk. enjoyed.
9. how to train your dragon 3 - mjr, waterford, mi; repeat viewing with a friend and her child. still enjoyed it. was able to focus on the animation and the background. they did a really good job.
10. stardust - netflix; adaptation of the Gaiman book. watched it back in 2007. didn't remember much about it. good fun. an uplifting fairy tale full of bad witches, revenge minded princes, and our noble common man with a star. happy ending. enjoyed.
11. pan's labyrinth - netflix; such a good movie. if you haven't seen it, watch it.
12. Hellboy - Netflix; rewatching the previous hellboy's for the upcoming release of the newest one. still good fun.
13. infinity war - netflix; rewatch to gear up for the new release. the military strategy of wakanda still bothers me.
14. inglorious bastards - dvr; didn't like it as much as i did. seemed to plod along.
15. MST3000 mac and me - netflix; part of the "gauntlet" of 6 bad movies. the riffing was awesome.
16. endgame - imagine, Hartland, MI; entertaining, seemed a bit slow at times but ultimately satisfying. i'll stop, so no spoilers.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2019, 06:40:41 PM »

1. John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous at Radio City Music Hall- needed something light after Infinity War!
2. Vice  Bale was good, but it was definitely pandering to a specific audience. Also, I thought I'd need heart surgery after all of it!
3. Crazy Rich Asians- needs more Awkwafina.
4. if Beale Street Could Talk really incredible, and should have been nominated for best picture.
5. Fyre Fraud
6. Justice League well, this was not a good movie, and having the stand alones for Wonder Woman and Aquaman come out after this was a bad plan.
7. They Shall Not Grow Old- impressive technical feat. Incredible to see and hear these men who have been gone for so long.
8. Paris is Burning A still-relevant documentary of drag balls in New York in the 1980s.
9. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- still sweet
10. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- look, it was a rough week. I reserve the right to watch cuteness again and again!
11. The Kissing Booth Oh my lord, this was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and I totally hate watched it.
12. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- palate cleanser
13. Thor: Ragnarock
14. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
15. Ibiza- Other than Richard Madden's accent, not much reason to watch. I liked it more the first go-round.
16. The Changeover based on Margaret Mahy's book of the same name. It was not as good as the book, of course, but it was nice to see one of my favorite books on the screen.
17. Isn't it Romantic Cute, and I loved that the New York apartment was appropriately small.
18. Captain Marvel Needed more Goose! Great soundtrack, but I would have loved to have "Cannonball" on it.
19. The Incredibles 2 Netflix, and it kept cutting out, so I couldn't really get into it.
20. Ant Man and the Wasp- I liked it better on repeat viewing, but I am still "meh" on this addition to the MCU
21. Nate Bargatze: The Tennessee Kid Stand up from Old Hickory, TN, which is 20 minutes from where I grew up. And my hometown is name-checked in the final bit, and is waaay too dead on, but still funny.
22. Unicorn Store I wanted more Brie Larson and Sam Jackson, but it was a rather harmless movie.
23. Avengers: Infinity War- I'm gearing up for the final installment at the end of the month!
24. The Breaker Upperers The New Zealand humor appeals to me, and while neither lead is particularly "nice" you are rooting for them to figure it out.
25. Too Funny to Fail: The Life and Death of the Dana Carvey Show I don't even remember the show existing, but it was interesting to see. Carvey is funny.
26. Teen Wolf- It is on Hulu, I wanted to relive junior high!
27. Us I was hiding behind my jacket for much of it, and it's a thinker, but in the cold light of day it isn't too bad.
28. Oh Lucy Oh, boy this was not good. I started watching because it had Josh Harnett, and it just took a strange left turn.
29. Iron Man 2- Rewatch, since I didn't remember it.
30. The Perfect Date Peter Kavinsky, erm, Noah Centinio is a guy who sets up an app for a Stand In date. This should have been the name of the movie instead of the Perfect Date. It was cute.
31. The Edge of Seventeen You could not pay me to be a teen again. I would have liked it better if both siblings had had the focus, rather than just Nadine. Hallie Steinfeld does a great job, and Woody Harrelson was excellent, too.

32. Avengers: End Game well worth the 21 movie build up. The Russo bros stuck the landing! I liked it so much I'm going to see it again on Tuesday with Lando.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2019, 07:52:58 AM »

2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8
10. Wayne's World
12. The Favourite - 9
14. Leave No Trace - 7
18. Us - 7
20. Captain Marvel - 7
22. Free Solo - 8

23. Tag - 6

I don't know what it is about Ed Helms, but I think he is not a good film actor.  Despite this, I still enjoyed the film enough, though it struggles mightily with tone and the "tag" set pieces weren't all that good.

24. Avengers: Endgame - 8

Part of the inadvertent Jeremy Renner double feature.  Yes, it is actually 3 hours long.  Probably about 2:50 without end credits.  Probably about 3:15 with previews.  I helpfully found a site that says "when to go to the bathroom" without spoilers.  Though I did miss the whole "New Jersey" set piece because of it when I feel like it would've been preferable to miss the "Hulk has lunch" 2 minute chunk.

Anyway, you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss 10 bucks goodbye.  Well, you'll cry if you were more attached to some of these characters than I was.  But I think they did about a good of a job on this as they could've, and it actually had me excited about more films in this universe in the future, which is no small feat.  I don't have much bad to say about it, and lord knows I would if I could.  Thoroughly enjoyed.

25. The Departed - 8

I don't know how in the world I had never seen this, but finally fired it up yesterday with C-Fan away for business.  I liked it.  It was certainly a little overwrought.  And I am docking it one full point for having the very last image be a rat climbing on the balcony in front of the Mass State House.  A rat, Martin?  REALLY?  Like I didn't just watch 2 hours and 15 minutes of guys referring to rats and wondering who the rat is, and so on.  No need to hit me over the fucking head with it.  Still good.

26. Unsane - 9

Yeah, WTF.  If you like Soderbergh and his handheld, digital video, verite type shit, then you'll like this.  This almost seems like a standard drug / healthcare industry takedown / thriller not totally dissimilar from SIDE EFFECTS for a while.  Then it doesn't.  If you haven't seen it, you should drop everything, fire up Amazon Prime, and watch it.  It is listed in the "psychological thriller" section, and for good reason.  That last half hour is about as tense as I've been watching a film since I can remember.

27. The Strangers: Prey at Night - 5

Didn't know going in that this was filmed in and around Cincinnati, the opening shot clearly being from Covington or the hills nearby.  Fillmore's Dairy Hut makes an appearance.  Which I had never heard of before, but is apparently in Florence.  Then the trailer park is somewhere out near the airport.  This isn't that good of a film, especially considering that just by virtue of being a sequel you know what's going to happen.  But it has a couple of really good set pieces, especially the pool scene.  And it's only 80 minutes.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2019, 09:06:58 AM »

30. HOMECOMING - 04/25/19 - Netflix - Amaaaaaaaaaaazing concert film. I am still in awe. BOW DOWN. Even folks who don't like Beyonce must realize that the scale and ambition of this performance - especially for a 2 night festival show - are outstanding.
31. THE PERFECT DATE - 04/27/19 - Netflix - Did not scratch any of the Noah Centineo itch. This movie is nowhere near as well written as TAtBILB so it was a disappointment. But, he did look hot in that cowboy hat. HAHAHA.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2019, 09:27:58 AM »

Fillmore's Dairy Hut makes an appearance.  Which I had never heard of before, but is apparently in Florence. 

I didn't know Fillmore's still existed.  Now I want to go to there.  Damn you, Buttman!
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2019, 01:19:51 PM »

Movies seen in 2019 (new movies in bold):
1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Twister
3. Super Troopers 2
4. A Quiet Place
5. The Untouchables
6. Solo: A Star Wars Story
7. Rabbit-Proof Fence

8. Shine
9. The Fugitive
10. The Firm
11. Meru

12. What We Do In The Shadows
13. The Godfather
14. The Incredibles 2
15. Catwalk: Tales from the Cat Show Circuit

16. Avengers: Infinity War
17. Rampage
18. Four Weddings and Funeral
19. High Flying Bird
20. The Old Man and the Gun
21. The Pelican Brief

22. Deadpool 2
23. Mission Impossible: Fallout
24. Peppermint
25. Crazy Rich Asians
26. Training Day

27. Deadpool
28. Captain Marvel
29. Green Book
30. Lego Movie 2
31. Dead Poets Society
32. The Girl in the Spider's Web
33. Ralph Breaks the Internet
34. Triple Frontier

35. Maverick
36. Reality Bites
37. A Knight's Tale
38. Major League
39. The Natural
40. Avengers: Infinity War
41. Avengers: Endgame

The most comic-booky comic book movie.
Thor is definitely a comedic character, too.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2019, 08:05:31 AM »

2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8
10. Wayne's World
12. The Favourite - 9
14. Leave No Trace - 7
18. Us - 7
20. Captain Marvel - 7
22. Free Solo - 8
23. Tag - 6
25. The Departed - 8
26. Unsane - 9

28. mother! - 5

I read a lot of stuff when this came out about how audiences hated it, and they kind of knew going in that audiences would hate it.  It is a confusing, intense film.  It doesn't start out so, but certainly becomes so.  If you are not on board for symbolism or allegory of any sort, then skip this.  Even then, it's hard to recommend because it is very hard to watch.  It is relatively apparent who Jennifer Lawrence is early on, and then late on the remainder of the cast becomes somewhat apparent.  Even so, to tell this story within this construct is daring.

I have often said that I like watching things I've not seen before; that don't bow to the confines of mainstream moviemaking.  This certainly does that, but I don't know if it is ultimately successful in being anything more than provocative and shocking.

29. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - 7

This is played a little too straight for my liking, especially the final 2 stories.  Although, Tom Waits as a prospector for 20 minutes is a delight.  Enjoyed it.

30. Unseen - 6

This is a somewhat rote documentary about a serial killer of prostitutes in Cleveland.  The best part is when we are talking about who these women are, how they ended up as drug seekers and their interactions with the killer.  The worst is when they try to show us anything about the guy. 

Plus, I watched Unsane yesterday, figured it was time for Unseen.  I'll be on the lookout for films titled "Unsign" and "Unsewn" here shortly.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 08:23:59 AM by Butter »

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2019, 11:51:25 AM »

I would probably watch "Unsung" if it was a biopic about Page Hamilton, but not if it was about Vanessa Carlton.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2019, 01:11:53 PM »

I would probably watch "Unsung" if it was a biopic about Page Hamilton, but not if it was about Vanessa Carlton.

Natasha Bedingfield grants you the GSPotD.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2019, 07:57:31 AM »

2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8
10. Wayne's World
12. The Favourite - 9
14. Leave No Trace - 7
18. Us - 7
20. Captain Marvel - 7
22. Free Solo - 8
23. Tag - 6
25. The Departed - 8
26. Unsane - 9
28. mother! - 5
29. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - 7
30. Unseen - 6

31. The Endless - 3

Super low budget Netflix "thriller".  Thought about abandoning it about halfway through.  The conceit was only mildly interesting and not all that original.  I should've followed through.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #134 on: May 01, 2019, 01:00:57 PM »

31. THE PERFECT DATE - 04/27/19 - Netflix - Did not scratch any of the Noah Centineo itch. This movie is nowhere near as well written as TAtBILB so it was a disappointment. But, he did look hot in that cowboy hat. HAHAHA.
32. AVENGERS: ENDGAME - 04/30/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe in the back row with va_vacious - I liked it, but not as much as BLACK PANTHER or THOR: RANGNAROK. I did enjoy seeing VA cry like 3 times.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Up