Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2019  (Read 12279 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2019
« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2019, 03:17:28 PM »

Am I okay to see Avengers Endgame if the only Marvel movies I have seen post-2012 are Avengers:  The One Where Thanos Kills A Bunch of Dudes, and Black Panther (which really isn't part of the story arc).

Or should I wait and watch some of the other ones.  And if so, which ones?

I mean, I know who all the characters are from the comics, and I also read The Infinity Gauntlet series when it came out.  Granted, that was a long time ago.

But I mean, I'm not going to be lost or anything plot-wise.  I just want to know if watching the other movies will make me feel more vested in characters or if there's some subtle shit that has more meaning if I have.  If that's the case, maybe I will wait.  Even though I can't imagine watching half a dozen Marvel movies.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2019, 03:56:42 PM »

They make solid references to:
Avengers 1
Dr. Strange
The opening scene to Guardians of the Galaxy (so you would only need to watch the first 10-20 minutes) but then there are also references to Starlords/Gamorrah's story arcs, so maybe not
Captain America 1, although I think you wouldn't miss anything by skipping it. It's pretty straightforward.

Smaller references to Captain Marvel, but if you know the comic then you're likely fine.

Then there are a lot of references to where these characters came from and what their interpersonal relationships are, but I guess you'd be fine. It's a pretty daunting task to go through all the backstories.

That's my take, although I'm sure a lot of people would have different takes.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2019, 09:33:42 PM »

I did cry three times, but I also cheered at least twice (quietly, because no one else was doing that in this viewing) also, it was my second viewing, and I cried more this time than the first go round.

ZK, I'd say you can get by without watching any of the others- you saw Thanos kills a bunch of people, this picks up afterwards.

I recommend Thor: Ragnarok because it's funny, but you don't have to see it.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2019, 08:40:35 AM »

Am I okay to see Avengers Endgame if the only Marvel movies I have seen post-2012 are Avengers:  The One Where Thanos Kills A Bunch of Dudes, and Black Panther (which really isn't part of the story arc).

Or should I wait and watch some of the other ones.  And if so, which ones?

I mean, I know who all the characters are from the comics, and I also read The Infinity Gauntlet series when it came out.  Granted, that was a long time ago.

But I mean, I'm not going to be lost or anything plot-wise.  I just want to know if watching the other movies will make me feel more vested in characters or if there's some subtle shit that has more meaning if I have.  If that's the case, maybe I will wait.  Even though I can't imagine watching half a dozen Marvel movies.

I would actually say you'd be pretty lost.  You'd be watching an action movie with a bunch of people with fairly intricate relationships that you have no idea about.  There are also a lot of characters that you would have no idea who they are. 

There are some I haven't seen. For example, Robert Redford shows up in this.  I'm supposed to know who he is.  I don't.  He was in at least one of the CAPTAIN AMERICA movies, which I never saw.  I also know there is a lot of leftover conflict within the Avengers from CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR that is lost on me.  I just know it exists, but don't know why.  I watched INFINITY WAR, and there is a whole subplot with this guy and a woman that wears a lot of red.   No idea who the fuck they are or what that was about really.   I, to this day, don't know their character names.  Didn't ruin the movie, but it didn't help.

I looked around, you could watch this, a 23 minute recap that supposedly "catches you up" prior to Endgame.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2019/04/25/heres-the-only-marvel-recap-you-need-to-watch-before-avengers-endgame/#6fbf6f5a68f0

Edit: I guess saying you'd be pretty lost is not true since you've read the comics.  But the video above could probably get you most of the rest of the knowledge you would need prior to movie.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 08:46:35 AM by Butter »

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2019, 08:47:38 AM »

1. Shirkers (Netflix) - 9
2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
4. First Reformed (Amazon Prime) - 5
5. Minding the Gap (Hulu) - 8
6. If Beale Street Could Talk - 9
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8
9. Remastered: Massacre at the Stadium (Netflix) - 6
10. Wayne's World
11. They Shall Not Grow Old - 8
12. The Favourite - 9
13. Abducted in Plain Sight (Netflix) - 7
14. Leave No Trace - 7
15. Ghostbusters (the "all-women" one) - 6
16. Alita: Battle Angel (in 3D!  on a cruise ship!) - 7
17. Superpower Dogs (in 3D!  on a cruise ship!) - 7
18. Us - 7
19. Too Funny to Fail: The Life and Death of the Dana Carvey Show (Hulu) - 8
20. Captain Marvel - 7
21. Period. End of Sentence. - 9
22. Free Solo - 8
23. Tag - 6
24. Avengers: Endgame - 8
25. The Departed - 8
26. Unsane - 9
27. The Strangers: Prey at Night - 5
28. mother! - 5
29. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - 7
30. Unseen - 6
31. The Endless - 3

32. Hereditary (re-watch)

Maybe even better the 2nd time through.  And if I didn't give it a 10 the first time through, I should've. 

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2019, 09:15:33 AM »

I recommend Thor: Ragnarok because it's funny, but you don't have to see it.

YES. THIS.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #141 on: May 02, 2019, 09:33:41 AM »

There are some I haven't seen. For example, Robert Redford shows up in this.  I'm supposed to know who he is.  I don't.  He was in at least one of the CAPTAIN AMERICA movies, which I never saw.  I also know there is a lot of leftover conflict within the Avengers from CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR that is lost on me.  I just know it exists, but don't know why.  I watched INFINITY WAR, and there is a whole subplot with this guy and a woman that wears a lot of red.   No idea who the fuck they are or what that was about really.   I, to this day, don't know their character names.  Didn't ruin the movie, but it didn't help.

Hah - good point. I've seen every movie, and I didn't remember Robert Redford's character either. But it was pretty clear the role he was playing. So maybe you're fine.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2019, 10:07:56 AM »

2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8
10. Wayne's World
12. The Favourite - 9
14. Leave No Trace - 7
18. Us - 7
20. Captain Marvel - 7
22. Free Solo - 8
23. Tag - 6
25. The Departed - 8
26. Unsane - 9
28. mother! - 5
30. Unseen - 6
31. The Endless - 3

33. Burning - 7

Korean film that triples as a love triangle, class commentary, and mystery.  I didn't like it as much as some, but it was 2 and a half hours that didn't feel that long.  Starring Steven Yeun and two other Korean actors.  Well acted and interesting throughout, if not quite great.

34. Starry Eyes - 3

Horror movie about what happens when an actress goes a little too far in pursuit of a role.  I think they were going for B-movie here with some of the acting of the "villains", but then we switch to the last 20 minutes and we get some horribly realistic murders that were more cringe inducing than some of the worst body horror movies I've watched.  Only a couple of characters escape caricature, not including the protagonist. 

I don't know if it was supposed to be "fun" or a cautionary tale or what, but it is just mostly a muddled mess with some of the most bothersome murder scenes I've watched in a while.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #143 on: May 06, 2019, 02:49:36 PM »

1. Vice (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
2. Bumblebee (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
3. Escape Room (Kenwood Theater)
4. King In the Wilderness (HBO on Demand)
5. On The Basis of Sex (Mariemont Theater)
6. If Beale Street Could Talk (Esquire Theater)
7. Bright Lights: Starring Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher (HBO on Demand)
8. Beware Slenderman (HBO on Demand)
9. If You're Not in the Obits, Eat Breakfast (HBO on Demand)
10. Shoplifters (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
11. Rain Man (EPIX)
12. Rock and a Hard Place (HBO on Demand)
13. Cold War (Esquire Theater)
14. They Shall Not Grow Old 3D (Cinemark Oakley)
15. Stan & Ollie (Mariemont Theater)
16. Budapest Noire (2019 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival @ Esquire Theater)
17. The Last Suit (2019 Jewish & Israeli Fim Festival @ Mariemont Theater)
18. Cold Pursuit (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
19. Capernaum (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
20. When the Smoke Clears (2019 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival @ Mariemont Theater)
21. Arctic (Esquire Theater)
22. Greta (Esquire Theater)
23. Everybody Knows (Mariemont Theater)
24. Never Look Away (Esquire Theater)
25. To Dust (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
26. Climax (Esquire Theater)
27. The Wedding Guest (Mariemont Theater)
28. Gloria Bell (Mariemont Theater)
29. Apollo 11 (Mariemont Theater)
30. Birds of Passage (Esquire Theater)
31. Ash Is Purest White (Landmark West End Cinema, Washington, DC)
32. The Hummingbird Project (Mariemont Theater)
33. Hotel Mumbai (AMC Newport On the Levee)
34. The Mustang (Esquire Theater)
35. Diane (Mariemont Theater)
36. The Public (Esquite Theater)
37. Woman At War (Esquire Theater)
38. Mapplethorpe (Esquire Theater)
39. Mary Magdalene (Mariemont Theater)
40. The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley (HBO On Demand)
Updating the last 3 weeks:

41. High Life (Esquire Theater)
42. Teen Spirit (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
43. Peterloo (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
44. Us (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
45. Stockholm (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
46. Penguins (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
47. Sunset (Esquire Theater)
48. Transit (Esquire Theater)
49. Long Shot (Cinemark Oakley)

The best of this bunch is a tie between High Life and Stockholm

High Life is a sci-fi drama from French director Claire Denis (in her first English-spoken movie), starring Juliette Binosch and Robert Pattison, both excellent. This is a "Space Odessey" of a very different kind. Worth seeking out!

Stockholm brings the bank heist and kidnapping that took place in August, 1973 in what later would become known as the "Stockholm Syndrome". It's wild and crazy, I mean you can't make this stuff up. Ethan Hawke and Noomi Rapace both shine. (Rapace, who is Swedish, and playing a Swedish character in a Sweden-set movie, nevertheless speaks English.) I saw Stockholm the very weekend that Avengers: Endgame came out, and the theater complex was completely overrun. But not the screen that showed Stockholm. Talk about counter-programming!

The worst of the bunch is another tie: Peterloo and Us.

Peterloo is the rare misfire from British director Mike Leigh, bringing us how a peaceful demonstration in Manchester 100 years ago, led to the massacre of scores of demonstrators. Sounds intriguing. Alas, utterly patronizing (RICH people: bad, very bad! Every single one of them!!!! POOR people: good, very good, all of them!) and, worse, boooooooooooooring beyond belief. And oh, the film runs 150 min.

Us: the Jordan Peele written-produced-directed film is neither scary nor funny. And if it had a underlying "social" message, it went straight over my head. And the ending is so effin' horribly bad and unexplainable. In short, MILES away from the great Get Out.

Transit is the latest from German director Christian Petzold. He is one of the best directors of this generation, period. Check out his record: The State I'm In, Gespenster, Yella, Barbara, and Phoenix, just to name those. Sheer brilliance. This one is a bit trickier, transposing the 1944 Paris-Marseille WWII novel of the same name to today's France. Also, Nina Hoss, the female lead in most of Petzold's prior movies is noticeably absent. Still worth checking out, though.

Sunset is the second film from Hungarian writer-director Laszlo Nemes, whose debut film, the harrowing and haunting Holocaust drama Son of Saul, promptly won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Movie a few years back. Sunset, a 2 1/2 hr. movie, is even more ambitious, but strangely falls flat on its face, as at no point do I care for the lead character in the least. I cannot recommend this film.

Long Shot is a feel-good rom-com starring Seth Rogen and Charlize Theron (as Secretary of State, and president-wannabe). It's funny, it's raunchy, it's light, it's touching. A nice fantasy (in the same way as, for example, Pretty Woman was) that I enjoyed this from start to finish far more than I had dared to expect. 

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 02:57:44 PM by euro60 »
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2019, 07:26:49 AM »

2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8
10. Wayne's World
12. The Favourite - 9
14. Leave No Trace - 7
18. Us - 7
20. Captain Marvel - 7
22. Free Solo - 8
23. Tag - 6
25. The Departed - 8
26. Unsane - 9
28. mother! - 5
30. Unseen - 6
31. The Endless - 3
33. Burning - 7
34. Starry Eyes - 3

35. Amy - 8

It was a fun first hour, then an emotionally devastating second.  Hard to really blame it all on one guy, as the film tried to do, when she surrounded herself with enablers.  A couple of lines stuck with me, after winning her Grammy: "it's so boring without drugs", and then the father and her final manager basically saying it was her choice to stay high and she has to want to rehab.  Some people need more than a little push, and they didn't do that.  Hopefully it still haunts them, though the father seems like the type of guy who will continue to take credit for things he was not involved in, and blame others for things he could've stopped.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2019, 07:09:12 AM »

2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8
10. Wayne's World
12. The Favourite - 9
14. Leave No Trace - 7
18. Us - 7
20. Captain Marvel - 7
22. Free Solo - 8
23. Tag - 6
25. The Departed - 8
26. Unsane - 9
28. mother! - 5
30. Unseen - 6
31. The Endless - 3
33. Burning - 7
34. Starry Eyes - 3
35. Amy - 8

36. Shazam - 7

Shaquille O'Neal stars in this dull retelling of...

*whispering*

What?  That was "Kazaam"?  What is this then?

*whispering*

Oh, a new DC superhero movie.  But those are awful.

*whispering*

Yes, Wonder Woman was ok.  But other than that, these are terrible.  OK, I'll give it a shot.

*watches movie*

OK, this was pretty good.  I feel like maybe DC is starting to get their shit together.  MAYBE.  Still can't make me watch JUSTICE LEAGUE though.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2019, 12:46:22 AM »

1. John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous at Radio City Music Hall- needed something light after Infinity War!
2. Vice  Bale was good, but it was definitely pandering to a specific audience. Also, I thought I'd need heart surgery after all of it!
3. Crazy Rich Asians- needs more Awkwafina.
4. if Beale Street Could Talk really incredible, and should have been nominated for best picture.
5. Fyre Fraud
6. Justice League well, this was not a good movie, and having the stand alones for Wonder Woman and Aquaman come out after this was a bad plan.
7. They Shall Not Grow Old- impressive technical feat. Incredible to see and hear these men who have been gone for so long.
8. Paris is Burning A still-relevant documentary of drag balls in New York in the 1980s.
9. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- still sweet
10. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- look, it was a rough week. I reserve the right to watch cuteness again and again!
11. The Kissing Booth Oh my lord, this was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and I totally hate watched it.
12. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- palate cleanser
13. Thor: Ragnarock
14. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
15. Ibiza- Other than Richard Madden's accent, not much reason to watch. I liked it more the first go-round.
16. The Changeover based on Margaret Mahy's book of the same name. It was not as good as the book, of course, but it was nice to see one of my favorite books on the screen.
17. Isn't it Romantic Cute, and I loved that the New York apartment was appropriately small.
18. Captain Marvel Needed more Goose! Great soundtrack, but I would have loved to have "Cannonball" on it.
19. The Incredibles 2 Netflix, and it kept cutting out, so I couldn't really get into it.
20. Ant Man and the Wasp- I liked it better on repeat viewing, but I am still "meh" on this addition to the MCU
21. Nate Bargatze: The Tennessee Kid Stand up from Old Hickory, TN, which is 20 minutes from where I grew up. And my hometown is name-checked in the final bit, and is waaay too dead on, but still funny.
22. Unicorn Store I wanted more Brie Larson and Sam Jackson, but it was a rather harmless movie.
23. Avengers: Infinity War- I'm gearing up for the final installment at the end of the month!
24. The Breaker Upperers The New Zealand humor appeals to me, and while neither lead is particularly "nice" you are rooting for them to figure it out.
25. Too Funny to Fail: The Life and Death of the Dana Carvey Show I don't even remember the show existing, but it was interesting to see. Carvey is funny.
26. Teen Wolf- It is on Hulu, I wanted to relive junior high!
27. Us I was hiding behind my jacket for much of it, and it's a thinker, but in the cold light of day it isn't too bad.
28. Oh Lucy Oh, boy this was not good. I started watching because it had Josh Harnett, and it just took a strange left turn.
29. Iron Man 2- Rewatch, since I didn't remember it.
30. The Perfect Date Peter Kavinsky, erm, Noah Centinio is a guy who sets up an app for a Stand In date. This should have been the name of the movie instead of the Perfect Date. It was cute.
31. The Edge of Seventeen You could not pay me to be a teen again. I would have liked it better if both siblings had had the focus, rather than just Nadine. Hallie Steinfeld does a great job, and Woody Harrelson was excellent, too.
32. Avengers: End Game well worth the 21 movie build up. The Russo bros stuck the landing! I liked it so much I'm going to see it again on Tuesday with Lando.

33. Avengers: End Game- yeah, Lando got to watch me cry. And cheer
34. Long Shot the year of the Rom Com continues! Enjoyed it very much.
35. The Mummy Returns- The addition of the kid didn't really help the movie.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2019, 10:22:51 AM »

Movies seen in 2019 (new movies in bold):
1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Twister
3. Super Troopers 2
4. A Quiet Place
5. The Untouchables
6. Solo: A Star Wars Story
7. Rabbit-Proof Fence

8. Shine
9. The Fugitive
10. The Firm
11. Meru

12. What We Do In The Shadows
13. The Godfather
14. The Incredibles 2
15. Catwalk: Tales from the Cat Show Circuit

16. Avengers: Infinity War
17. Rampage
18. Four Weddings and Funeral
19. High Flying Bird
20. The Old Man and the Gun
21. The Pelican Brief

22. Deadpool 2
23. Mission Impossible: Fallout
24. Peppermint
25. Crazy Rich Asians
26. Training Day

27. Deadpool
28. Captain Marvel
29. Green Book
30. Lego Movie 2
31. Dead Poets Society
32. The Girl in the Spider's Web
33. Ralph Breaks the Internet
34. Triple Frontier

35. Maverick
36. Reality Bites
37. A Knight's Tale
38. Major League
39. The Natural
40. Avengers: Infinity War
41. Avengers: Endgame
42. The Meg

Not hiding from it being exactly what it is and no aspirations to be anything more. It was dumb but entertaining.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2019, 07:20:35 AM »

2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8
10. Wayne's World
12. The Favourite - 9
14. Leave No Trace - 7
18. Us - 7
20. Captain Marvel - 7
22. Free Solo - 8
23. Tag - 6
25. The Departed - 8
26. Unsane - 9
28. mother! - 5
30. Unseen - 6
31. The Endless - 3
33. Burning - 7
34. Starry Eyes - 3
35. Amy - 8
36. Shazam - 7

37. Long Shot - 7

Lots of Seth Rogen being Seth Rogen in this film.  If you like him, you'll probably like it.  If not, avoid avoid avoid.

38. Clue

C-Fan had never seen this, so we fixed that.  She found the multiple endings and their repetitive lines "exhausting".  Sure, maybe it doesn't hold up, but 11 year old me saw this about 1000 times on HBO, so I still love it.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2019, 08:22:16 AM »

38. Clue

C-Fan had never seen this, so we fixed that.  She found the multiple endings and their repetitive lines "exhausting".  Sure, maybe it doesn't hold up, but 11 year old me saw this about 1000 times on HBO, so I still love it.

That's because it's a goddamned treasure!
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17   Go Up