Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2019  (Read 14900 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2019
« Reply #195 on: July 05, 2019, 10:11:47 AM »

Movies seen in 2019 (new movies in bold):
1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Twister
3. Super Troopers 2
4. A Quiet Place
5. The Untouchables
6. Solo: A Star Wars Story
7. Rabbit-Proof Fence

8. Shine
9. The Fugitive
10. The Firm
11. Meru

12. What We Do In The Shadows
13. The Godfather
14. The Incredibles 2
15. Catwalk: Tales from the Cat Show Circuit

16. Avengers: Infinity War
17. Rampage
18. Four Weddings and Funeral
19. High Flying Bird
20. The Old Man and the Gun
21. The Pelican Brief

22. Deadpool 2
23. Mission Impossible: Fallout
24. Peppermint
25. Crazy Rich Asians
26. Training Day

27. Deadpool
28. Captain Marvel
29. Green Book
30. Lego Movie 2
31. Dead Poets Society
32. The Girl in the Spider's Web
33. Ralph Breaks the Internet
34. Triple Frontier

35. Maverick
36. Reality Bites
37. A Knight's Tale
38. Major League
39. The Natural
40. Avengers: Infinity War
41. Avengers: Endgame
42. Edge of Tomorrow
43. The Meg
44. Comedian
45. Destination Wedding

46. Bloodsport
47. Bad Times at the El Royale
48. Booksmart

49. Clue
50. Men In Black: International
51. Notting Hill

"None of those childish kebab stories you get in so many travel books these days."

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #196 on: July 06, 2019, 07:28:38 PM »

a new year!
i have also been mining the movie thread for ideas. thanks to all of you!

1. mowgli - netflix; it was ok, found it difficult to get into it, probably because i grew up on the disney animated version. this is nothing like disney at all.
2. cargo - netflix; aussie zombie movie with martin freeman as the father trying to survive the "ghosts". interesting take on the zombie genre.
3. jurassic park - hbo; the dino's are still great. the plot holes get worse with age.
4. jurassic park 2 - hbo; recorded a bunch of movies during a free weekend. this was one of them. not sure why i watched it again.
5. jurassic park 3 - hbo; not a bad watch on a crappy, cold, and rainy morning.
6. thor: ragnarok - netflix; i liked the extra campiness and humor interjected through the story. goldblum was really good as the crazy leader. filled in some holes i had in the MCU. enjoyed.
7. the breadwinner - netflix; animated, about a young girl living in taliban controlled afghanistan. interesting, and clearly showed the taliban to be evil. enjoyed.
8. how to train your dragon 3 - the lyon; cute finish for the dragon world and the town of berk. enjoyed.
9. how to train your dragon 3 - mjr, waterford, mi; repeat viewing with a friend and her child. still enjoyed it. was able to focus on the animation and the background. they did a really good job.
10. stardust - netflix; adaptation of the Gaiman book. watched it back in 2007. didn't remember much about it. good fun. an uplifting fairy tale full of bad witches, revenge minded princes, and our noble common man with a star. happy ending. enjoyed.
11. pan's labyrinth - netflix; such a good movie. if you haven't seen it, watch it.
12. Hellboy - Netflix; rewatching the previous hellboy's for the upcoming release of the newest one. still good fun.
13. infinity war - netflix; rewatch to gear up for the new release. the military strategy of wakanda still bothers me.
14. inglorious bastards - dvr; didn't like it as much as i did first time. seemed to plod along.
15. MST3000 mac and me - netflix; part of the "gauntlet" of 6 bad movies. the riffing was awesome.
16. endgame - imagine, Hartland, MI; entertaining, seemed a bit slow at times but ultimately satisfying. i'll stop, so no spoilers.
17. breakfast club - redford theater, detroit MI; what a grand old theater, lovingly restored and maintained by a non-profit, with a real organ! and organ music before the movie and during the intermission. popcorn with real butter! breakfast club aged fairly well, it seems every john hughes film has a few cringe worthy scenes/exchanges. was a good time. i'll head back and catch a movie there again.
18. young frankenstein - starz (i think); one of the classics holds up well. although, i do wonder if this movie could be made today. no way blazing saddles would.
19. kill bill vol 1
20 kill bill vol 2 i liked these upon rewatching them. definite two different movies, with a kung fu for 1 and western feel for 2.
21. solo - enjoyed it again. still didn't like how they had to homage to every origin story for han in one week of time.
22. the last jedi - advanced civilizations with the dumbest military strategy. sheesh.
23. tremors a cold day in hell - if you like the series and have time to kill, it's entertaining. don't expect great things, but there's some good gore and humor.
24. i am mother, netflix - a good tension filled sci-fly flick. both actresses did a great job. it took me most of the first act to really get engrossed, but i found it rewarding. as stated earlier by butter, the third act does get going. the ending does take some thinking to figure out, at least for me.
25. ralph breaks the internet, netflix - cute, funny animated. exactly what one expects out of a disney flick these days.
26. deadpool 2 - still like this! it's irreverent, and appeals to the 13 yr old inside of me.
27. rim of the world, netflix - coming of age story involving summer camp and an alien attack. homages to jurassic park, independence day, and, well, about every other alien movie. typical summer popcorn action YA flick.
28. bright, netflix - what if the lord of the rings was real and all of the races were in contemporary times LA? with an orc breaking the race barrier on the lapd? and magic? a dark crime story with elves, orcs, and magic wands. enjoyed.
29. indiana jones and the raiders of the lost ark; been a long time since i watched this. memories of junior high.

been watching movies while recuperating from a medical procedure:
30. indiana jones and temple of doom, netflix - wow. this was just bad. the female ornament who was just there to scream. forgot how bad this was.
31. i.j. and the last crusade, netflix - fun to rewatch. this one holds up fairly well.
32. i.j. and the crystal skull, netflix - nuke the fridge; 'nuff said.
33. jurassic park the lost kingdom, hbo (staying with friends) - this was a blockbuster a few summers ago? recycled plot? greedy business types? at least the dino's were still the star of the show.
34. how it ends, netflix - a good apocalyptic story about a guy trying to get back to his girl. forrest whittaker was really good. enjoyed.
35. IO, netflix - if  you enjoy watching two people have stilted dialogue while moving at a glacial pace, this is for you. if you like movies, AVOID this. if you still think you'd like to watch it: humans bad, will destroy the planet, but still can save it. there, i saved two hours of your life. there was nothing about space or Io in this dog.
36. extinction, netflix - this surprised me! alien invasion, man trying to save family, good action, excellent suspense. third act was worth it. recommended.
edit to add:
37. bird box, netflix - sandra bullock does a great job. enjoyed and recommended.
38. the silence, netflix - good acting in a story about "vesps" that are unleashed and hunt via sound. was really interesting to watch a movie where sight was a liability and immediately follow it with one where sound was the liability. how the filmmakers used each liability to further the story was really cool. i liked this one and recommend it.
39. the mummy returns, netflix; had to have seen this back in the day, but had forgot much of the plot. fairly entertaining. popcorn fodder, but enjoyable. the cgi was particularly terrible.
40. the mummy, tomb of the dragon emperor, netflix - the cgi is better, same type of plot, but a engaging story. i don't remember if i watched this back in the day, but one scene with yetis seemed familiar. counting it as a new watch. i read where the mummy movies were leaving netflix so decided to watch them.
41. the dark crystal, netflix - 1982, released the same week as ET. this was dark for a kids movie and little semblance to a muppet movie. still, for the time, was good; the puppets were strange looking and just what the movie needed. the story was a bit convoluted and dragged at times. was ok for a 90 minute movie.
42. murder mystery, netflix - i was surprised that i found this enjoyable. fun plot, and enough to keep me guessing. clearly adam sandler wanted to spend some time in monte carlo!
43. the ballad of buster scruggs, netflix - 6 twilight zone episodes based upon the western genre, with the coen brothers fingerprint. took me all day to finish this, as i had things to do, but i did enjoy the coen brothers take.
44. cirque du freak:the vampires assistant, netflix - john c reilly as a vampire? and it mostly worked. bring your popcorn and turn off your brain.
45. bunks, netflix - leave it to canada to make a non-gory, happy ending zombie summer camp movie. might be good to introduce pre-teens to the genre. i figure it was a made for tv movie on the cbc.
46. here alone, netflix - more of a character study than a zombie movie, little gore, plenty of backstory of the main character. tried to play the moral dilemma of choices to make as the world is ending around you. was ok, moved slower than i would've liked.
47. spectral, netflix  - decent war movie with the combatants being very different. good action flick for the summer.
48. the wolf's call, netflix - french submarine thriller. really got into it. recommend.
49. dale and tucker vs evil, netflix - pretty good spoof of the teen slasher genre, from 2010. was fun.
50. gremlins, Netflix - the best christmas movie of all time!
51. day of the dead: bloodline, netflix - gore! gore! gore! blood explosions! zombie wiping blood all over the windshield of a car for added effect?  zombie with intestines wrapped around its neck? you bet, and that's just the first 3 mins! and that's about as good as it got. meh, and i'm a fan of the genre.
52. revolt, netflix - action alien invasion set in kenya. this one drew me in and i enjoyed the ride.
53. the siege of jadotville, netflix - as the fledgling UN is trying to find its voice, the congo is in the midst of a civil war. a company of irish solders are sent to be peacekeepers. obviously, they are attacked. their story was covered up. this movie won a few irish awards. well done, good story. recommend.
54. the golem, netflix - meh. actually started dinking around on the internet while this was playing just to finish the movie so it wouldn't show up on my "continue watching" list. avoid.
55. always be my maybe, netflix - cute, funny, touching. formulaic, perhaps. i haven't watched many rom-coms. i enjoyed it. recommend.
56. see you yesterday, netflix - more of a social commentary with time travel, than a straight science fiction movie. was good. the two main characters invent time travel, and then try to use it to right a loss. left me unsettled, and i think that's what they were aiming to do. recommend.
57. megamind, netflix - cute animated what if the villain actually beat the hero? movie. something light after all of stranger things to cleanse the palate.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 09:21:54 AM by notoriouspbake »

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #197 on: July 07, 2019, 10:01:13 AM »

1.  Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again
2.  Blackkklansman
3.  Christopher Robin
4.  I, Tonya
5.  Oceans 8
6.  Free Solo
7. Extase
8.  Catwalk: Tales from the Cat Show Circuit  (in-flight movie)
9.  Duran Duran: There's Something You Should Know (in-flight movie)
10.  Five Feet Apart (in-flight movie)
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #198 on: July 08, 2019, 07:53:20 AM »

1. Shirkers (Netflix) - 9
2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
4. First Reformed (Amazon Prime) - 5
5. Minding the Gap (Hulu) - 8
6. If Beale Street Could Talk - 9
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8
9. Remastered: Massacre at the Stadium (Netflix) - 6
10. Wayne's World
11. They Shall Not Grow Old - 8
12. The Favourite - 9
13. Abducted in Plain Sight (Netflix) - 7
14. Leave No Trace - 7
15. Ghostbusters (the "all-women" one) - 6
16. Alita: Battle Angel (in 3D!  on a cruise ship!) - 7
17. Superpower Dogs (in 3D!  on a cruise ship!) - 7
18. Us - 7
19. Too Funny to Fail: The Life and Death of the Dana Carvey Show (Hulu) - 8
20. Captain Marvel - 7
21. Period. End of Sentence. - 9
22. Free Solo - 8
23. Tag - 6
24. Avengers: Endgame - 8
25. The Departed - 8
26. Unsane - 9
27. The Strangers: Prey at Night - 5
28. mother! - 5
29. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - 7
30. Unseen - 6
31. The Endless - 3
32. Hereditary (re-watch)
33. Burning - 7
34. Starry Eyes - 3
35. Amy - 8
36. Shazam - 7
37. Long Shot - 7
38. Clue
39. Leaving Neverland (HBO) - 8
40. Perfect Bid (Netflix) - 4
41. Beautiful Boy (Amazon Prime) - 6
42. The Disaster Artist (Amazon Prime) - 7
43. Missing Mom (Amazon Prime) - 1
44. Wine Country (Netflix) - 5
45. The Perfection (Netflix) - 7
46. Obvious Child - 7
47. Always Be My Maybe (Netflix) - 8
48. Booksmart - 8
49. I Am Mother (Netflix) - 7
50. Hell or High Water - 7
51. Toy Story 4 - 7
52. Caddyshack
53. Miracle (2004) - 7

54. Spiderman: Far From Home - 7

This was enjoyable.

55. Vice - 7

Watching this was akin to masochism.  There were parts that were fun, and other parts that were downright painful.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #199 on: July 08, 2019, 01:54:48 PM »

56. see you yesterday, netflix - more of a social commentary with time travel, than a straight science fiction movie. was good. the two main characters invent time travel, and then try to use it to right a loss. left me unsettled, and i think that's what they were aiming to do. recommend.

This is in my queue. Glad you seemed to dig it. I'll definitely be watching it. Seemed like something to scratch the teen nerd itch now that I'm done with the new season of STRANGER THINGS.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #200 on: July 08, 2019, 01:55:29 PM »

2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8
10. Wayne's World
12. The Favourite - 9
14. Leave No Trace - 7
18. Us - 7
20. Captain Marvel - 7
22. Free Solo - 8
23. Tag - 6
25. The Departed - 8
26. Unsane - 9
28. mother! - 5
30. Unseen - 6
31. The Endless - 3
33. Burning - 7
34. Starry Eyes - 3
35. Amy - 8
36. Shazam - 7
37. Long Shot - 7
38. Clue
46. Obvious Child - 7
48. Booksmart - 8
51. Toy Story 4 - 7
52. Caddyshack
53. Miracle (2004) - 7

This was enjoyable.

55. Vice - 7

Watching this was akin to masochism.  There were parts that were fun, and other parts that were downright painful.

DAMMITBUTTER!
I was hoping you had seen MIDSOMMAR because I need to know if I should put it on my list.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #201 on: July 08, 2019, 02:42:33 PM »

DAMMITBUTTER!
I was hoping you had seen MIDSOMMAR because I need to know if I should put it on my list.

I'm going to try.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #202 on: July 08, 2019, 11:45:08 PM »

DAMMITBUTTER!

I'm going to try.
I've seen Midsommar... Way, way out there. A mindfuck. I loved it, but not for everyone obviously, and at 2 1/2 hrs, a bit too long but, man, those last 45 min, wow
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #203 on: July 15, 2019, 11:00:44 AM »

2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8
10. Wayne's World
12. The Favourite - 9
14. Leave No Trace - 7
18. Us - 7
20. Captain Marvel - 7
22. Free Solo - 8
23. Tag - 6
25. The Departed - 8
26. Unsane - 9
28. mother! - 5
30. Unseen - 6
31. The Endless - 3
33. Burning - 7
34. Starry Eyes - 3
35. Amy - 8
36. Shazam - 7
37. Long Shot - 7
38. Clue
46. Obvious Child - 7
48. Booksmart - 8
51. Toy Story 4 - 7
52. Caddyshack
53. Miracle (2004) - 7
55. Vice - 7

56. Midsommar - 10

I realized about halfway through that despite the weird imagery and shit that was going on (and it starts off unsettling and stays that way), that I was smiling way too much.  I just was so enjoying the experience of the movie and of this environment specifically, that it was written on my face as people were being offed.

There is a LOT of disturbing imagery, maybe a little too much.  Gore for gore's sake in a couple of spots...close-ups of it that were intended for sure, as a juxtaposition of this cheery, smily group of people.

Ultimately it deals with a lot of the same themes as HEREDITARY, family, cults, happiness, the elderly.  This movie is much less outright scary, and much more creepy as unlike the other film this cult is in your face for most of the running time.  Unsurprisingly, things turn at a certain point, but there aren't really any jump scares.  Which is an accomplishment in itself.

Highly recommended for fans of the genre.  Something different is happening with it here, between HEREDITARY and now this.  Don't miss it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 10:56:15 PM by Butter »

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #204 on: July 15, 2019, 11:25:57 AM »

Movies seen in 2019 (new movies in bold):
1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Twister
3. Super Troopers 2
4. A Quiet Place
5. The Untouchables
6. Solo: A Star Wars Story
7. Rabbit-Proof Fence

8. Shine
9. The Fugitive
10. The Firm
11. Meru

12. What We Do In The Shadows
13. The Godfather
14. The Incredibles 2
15. Catwalk: Tales from the Cat Show Circuit

16. Avengers: Infinity War
17. Rampage
18. Four Weddings and Funeral
19. High Flying Bird
20. The Old Man and the Gun
21. The Pelican Brief

22. Deadpool 2
23. Mission Impossible: Fallout
24. Peppermint
25. Crazy Rich Asians
26. Training Day

27. Deadpool
28. Captain Marvel
29. Green Book
30. Lego Movie 2
31. Dead Poets Society
32. The Girl in the Spider's Web
33. Ralph Breaks the Internet
34. Triple Frontier

35. Maverick
36. Reality Bites
37. A Knight's Tale
38. Major League
39. The Natural
40. Avengers: Infinity War
41. Avengers: Endgame
42. Edge of Tomorrow
43. The Meg
44. Comedian
45. Destination Wedding

46. Bloodsport
47. Bad Times at the El Royale
48. Booksmart

49. Clue
50. Men In Black: International
51. Notting Hill
52. V for Vendetta
53. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

V for Vendetta: After it was over, I said to my wife, "Top 10 movie ever?" to which she thought I was nuts. But I stand by it! I do love this film tremendously.

Spider-Man cartoon: really really good. We enjoyed it thoroughly. The animation was incredible, the NYC references fantastic, and I did enjoy the various Spider-Characters quite a bit. Recommended for something random and light and good.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #205 on: July 16, 2019, 08:20:41 AM »

1. ALWAYS IN THE CARLYLE - 01/02/19 - STARZ - A captivating documentary that wisely spends more time on the tenured staff and glorious interior of the legendary hotel than on the antics of its famed guests. Light and lovely.
2. ON THE BASIS OF SEX - 01/06/19 - Tara Cinemas - Armie Hammer can GET IT.
3. VICE - 01/08/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - Bale's performance was incredible, but I didn't really enjoy much more than that. I didn't like the narrator device for telling the story and didn't like the pacing of film. It was all over the place and too "winky-winky did you see what we did there?" for me.
4. BOOMERANG - 01/12/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Haven't seen this in a long time but still remember every word and every song. Excited to see what Lena Waithe and Halle Berry do with this for TV. "CO-OOOOOOOOOOOOOORDINATE."
5. IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK - 01/15/19 - AMC Parkway Pointe w/va_vacious - A beautiful tragedy. After that family gathering scene, I'm ready to finally read some Baldwin.
6. FREE SOLO - 01/19/19 - AMC Barrett Commons - Now that was a fun ride! I didn't get to see it in IMAX but still felt like it was a wonderful film experience.
7. GLASS - 01/20/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Gwynne and Beth - I fell asleep MULTIPLE times. Nothing about this movie seemed necessary or entertaining.
8. BUMBLEBEE - 01/22/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - Probably the most enjoyable of all of the TRANSFORMERS movies, mostly because I didn't hear one mention of the "AllSpark". Also, Pamela Adlon in a TRANSFORMERS MOVIE???!!!! Fun tunes throughout.
9. EIGHTH GRADE - 01/26/19 - Amazon Prime - In 8th grade, my best friend quit being friends with me because I wasn't cool enough. I wrote her a poem to try and tell her how much it hurt me and she basically laughed in my face. It was the most devastating break-up of my life. So, yeah. 8th grade sucked. I totally get all of the emotions in this movie. Bonus, that banana scene had me crying with laughter.
10. TULLY - 01/27/19 - HBO - Hug a mom. They probably need it. Diablo Cody's writing doesn't disappoint.
11. LEAVE NO TRACE - 01/29/19 - Amazon Prime - The actress who plays Tom should win ALL THE THINGS.
12. CHiPs - 01/30/19 - HBO - Yes, it's very dumb. But, I find Dax Shepard and Michael Peņa to be very charismatic. So, I was willing to take the ride with them for some crazy car and motorcycle chases and dick jokes.
13. FIRST REFORMED - 02/02/19 - Amazon Prime - I'm not totally sure for whom this movie was intended. It had some beautifuly cinematic moments towards the end and Ethan Hawke does act the fuck out of it (as noted by Butter). But, it isn't something that I would watch again.
14. PULP FICTION - 02/07/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Three Little Fonzies.
15. ROMA - 02/10/19 - Netflix - Having lived in a middle-class home on the outskirts of Mexico City in the 90s, I can definitely confirm that this movie moved me and made me miss so many things about that city and country. Cleo's "moment" on the beach made me sob and I really appreciated the beauty of how the film was shot. But, the rest of the movie really left me cold except for my own nostalgia.
16. TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE - 02/14/19 - Netflix - repeat viewing - The Greg was out of town so I picked PeterKavinsky (one word) to be my valentine.
17. TAG - 03/02/19 - HBO - repeat viewing (but with friends, Gwynner and Tiffers, this time) - The Jeremy Renner voice-overs were even funnier in the second viewing. "I speed-bag him."
18. PERIOD. END OF SENTENCE. - 03/09/19 - Netflix - I feel like I got a lot more information about the mission of The Pad Project from interviews with the filmmakers than I did from the actual movie. VERY interesting subject, but this seemed to focus more on the adult woman making the pads with the pad machine than it did on the school-aged girls who were supposed to benefit from the machine.
19. THE BREAKER UPPERERS - 03/09/19 - Netflix - There were some great scenes that felt like they came out of an old PJ Hogan movie but the movie sort of went off for me when the two leads split off from each other.
20. TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE - 03/09/19 - Netflix - repeat viewing
21. FIGHTING WITH MY FAMILY - 03/17/19 - AMC Classic Cartersville
22. CAPTAIN MARVEL - 03/06/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - It was OK. I liked all the LADY TOP GUN + Sam Jackson bits the best. They should have just made LADY TOP GUN + Sam Jackson instead. All of the Kree stuff was just blaaaaaaarg.
23. US - 03/07/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - I think the trailers put our stomachs in knots but the movie wasn't as scary as we feared it would be. I definitely want to see it again to work out some things in my head.
24. OLD SCHOOL - 04/13/19 - Amazon Prime - w/Belles - repeat viewing - "Cheeeee-eeee-eeee-eeeeeese."
25. AQUAMAN - 04/13/19 - Amazon Prime - w/Belles - We paid partial attention to this and I think that is probably all the attention that it needed.
26. LITTLE - 04/14/19 - AMC Barrett Commons - Sadly, the best parts were all in the trailer. Marsai Martin is definitely a star, but this movie was pretty flat.
27. ISN'T IT ROMANTIC - 04/19/19 - Marietta Picture Show w/ Mom - More fun than I thought it would be, especially the karaoke scene.
28. BREAKTHROUGH - 04/20/19 - AMC Parkway Pointe w/Mom - The kind of movie you see with your mom who goes to church EVERY week, even when she's on vacation. The movie did push through on a couple of more nuanced questions/issues than I thought that it would. So, that was a nice surprise. Also, I cried. A LOT. I didn't want to cry. But, goodness. The tears. So many tears.
29. HOTEL MUMBAI - 04/21/19 - Regal Town Center w/Mom - A brutal movie to watch, especially with the news from Sri Lanka yesterday. Luckily, I hadn't heard about that before seeing the movie. I don't think I could have taken it. The violence of those attacks is not glossed over in some Hollywood action thriller kind of way. It might be the most violent movie I've ever seen.
30. HOMECOMING - 04/25/19 - Netflix - Amaaaaaaaaaaazing concert film. I am still in awe. BOW DOWN. Even folks who don't like Beyonce must realize that the scale and ambition of this performance - especially for a 2 night festival show - are outstanding.
31. THE PERFECT DATE - 04/27/19 - Netflix - Did not scratch any of the Noah Centineo itch. This movie is nowhere near as well written as TAtBILB so it was a disappointment. But, he did look hot in that cowboy hat. HAHAHA.
32. AVENGERS: ENDGAME - 04/30/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe in the back row with va_vacious - I liked it, but not as much as BLACK PANTHER or THOR: RANGNAROK. I did enjoy seeing VA cry like 3 times.
33. LONG SHOT - 05/11/19 - AMC Pkyw Pointe - Not the best, not the worst. I enjoyed it just enough for a Saturday matinee.
34. FOSTER - 05/11/19 - HBO Documentary - A great look into the DCFS system in LA.
35. WINE COUNTRY - 05/12/19 - Netflix - Thought I'd hate it, but I loved it. Paula Pell is just the best.
36. TAMPOPO - 05/16/19 - Plaza Theatre (joint event with Videodrome) w/Amanda - repeat viewing - I haven't seen this movie in at least two decades and was so happy to get to see it on the big screen. Aside from one scene, I'd say that I love it even more now than I did when I first watched it. It was also so much fun to watch with an audience. YAY, TAMPOPO!
37. JOHN WICK CHAPTER 3: PARABELLUM - 05/18/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - I have a weakness for his Wickness. What a thrill ride! You would never know you were watching an insane action film showcasing actors who are basically all in their 50s or older. INTENSE. SHINY. FUN!!! Oh, and so very violent. BUT FUN!
38. DESTINATION WEDDING - 05/18/19 - Amazon Prime - I started watching this back in November and sort of forgot about it. Seeing JOHN WICK made me remember to go and finish the movie. As noted in reply to Dan's post, I kind of hated this. Both characters are very unlikable in a way that is hard to overcome. I don't know if we're supposed to think that they are quirky, but they were both just extremely irksome.
39. BOOKSMART - 05/27/19 - AMC Parkway Pointe w/Mom - We looooooooooooooooooved this!!!
40. GOOD SAM - 05/27/19 - Netflix w/Mom - Looked like a cheesy Hallmark movie and pretty much played out that way, down to the secretly Canadian accents on several New Yorkers. But, we still enjoyed it.
41. ALWAYS BE MY MAYBE - 06/01/19 - Netflix - Why would they use Souls of Mischief's "93 'Til Infinity" over the opening chronological montage from present day to 199........6? 1993 IS IN THE SONG TITLE!!!!! This irked me, especially since they used the song over and over again. But, at least they chose a Bay Area band and used the Hieroglyphics logo a TON in the movie. I wish they hadn't chosen to let Wong and Park play themselves at 18. I also never really felt like they had romantic chemistry on screen.
42. ROCKETMAN - 06/02/19 - AMC Parkway Pointe - I just want to give Reg Dwight a hug. The scene of him conducting the imaginary orchestra in his bed with a flashlight was visually stunning. Taron Egerton put in an amazing performance and the costumes were gorgeous.
43. SPLASH - 06/03/19 - Showtime - repeat viewing - Going to my niece's graduation and noticing that she was one of about 15 Madisons in the graduating class made me want to re-visit this movie. I completely forgot that Eugene Levy was in it. Fun to see Ron Howard's dad get the first line in the movie and to see Clint show up in a wedding scene. John Candy's racquetball scene is forever golden.
44. AVENGERS: ENDGAME - 06/08/19 - repeat viewing w/The Greg @ Barrett Commons - I think I liked it better the second time around.
45. PAVAROTTI - 06/09/19 - Tara Cinemas w/Gwynner - Pretty standard documentary. Nothing innovative, but it was entertaining.
46. Mid90s - 06/11/19 - Prime - A very "The Greg" movie to watch with The Greg. I enjoyed spending time with these little skate rats (The Greg included).
47. TOY STORY 4 - 06/23/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Mailey - Loved spending time with my old besties (I have TOY STORY toys on my desk that have followed me to every job), but Forky steals the show. Those ventriloquist dummies can fuck right off.
48. YESTERDAY - 06/27/19 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - I like spending time with with Beatles songs. Cute premise, mild twist, didn't seem to really go anywhere unless you were more in the mood for a complicated rom-com. Great lead performance by Himesh Patel.
49. OKJA - 07/13/19 - Netflix with Jay King - I found this charming and horrifying and I would probably watch it again.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #206 on: July 16, 2019, 01:09:00 PM »

a new year!

1. mowgli - netflix; it was ok, found it difficult to get into it, probably because i grew up on the disney animated version. this is nothing like disney at all.
2. cargo - netflix; aussie zombie movie with martin freeman as the father trying to survive the "ghosts". interesting take on the zombie genre.
3. jurassic park - hbo; the dino's are still great. the plot holes get worse with age.
4. jurassic park 2 - hbo; recorded a bunch of movies during a free weekend. this was one of them. not sure why i watched it again.
6. thor: ragnarok - netflix; i liked the extra campiness and humor interjected through the story. goldblum was really good as the crazy leader. filled in some holes i had in the MCU. enjoyed.
7. the breadwinner - netflix; animated, about a young girl living in taliban controlled afghanistan. interesting, and clearly showed the taliban to be evil. enjoyed.
8. how to train your dragon 3 - the lyon; cute finish for the dragon world and the town of berk. enjoyed.
9. how to train your dragon 3 - mjr, waterford, mi; repeat viewing with a friend and her child. still enjoyed it. was able to focus on the animation and the background. they did a really good job.
10. stardust - netflix; adaptation of the Gaiman book. watched it back in 2007. didn't remember much about it. good fun. an uplifting fairy tale full of bad witches, revenge minded princes, and our noble common man with a star. happy ending. enjoyed.
11. pan's labyrinth - netflix; such a good movie. if you haven't seen it, watch it.
12. Hellboy - Netflix; rewatching the previous hellboy's for the upcoming release of the newest one. still good fun.
13. infinity war - netflix; rewatch to gear up for the new release. the military strategy of wakanda still bothers me.
14. inglorious bastards - dvr; didn't like it as much as i did first time. seemed to plod along.
15. MST3000 mac and me - netflix; part of the "gauntlet" of 6 bad movies. the riffing was awesome.
16. endgame - imagine, Hartland, MI; entertaining, seemed a bit slow at times but ultimately satisfying. i'll stop, so no spoilers.
17. breakfast club - redford theater, detroit MI; what a grand old theater, lovingly restored and maintained by a non-profit, with a real organ! and organ music before the movie and during the intermission. popcorn with real butter! breakfast club aged fairly well, it seems every john hughes film has a few cringe worthy scenes/exchanges. was a good time. i'll head back and catch a movie there again.
18. young frankenstein - starz (i think); one of the classics holds up well. although, i do wonder if this movie could be made today. no way blazing saddles would.
19. kill bill vol 1
20 kill bill vol 2 i liked these upon rewatching them. definite two different movies, with a kung fu for 1 and western feel for 2.
21. solo - enjoyed it again. still didn't like how they had to homage to every origin story for han in one week of time.
22. the last jedi - advanced civilizations with the dumbest military strategy. sheesh.
23. tremors a cold day in hell - if you like the series and have time to kill, it's entertaining. don't expect great things, but there's some good gore and humor.
24. i am mother, netflix - a good tension filled sci-fly flick. both actresses did a great job. it took me most of the first act to really get engrossed, but i found it rewarding. as stated earlier by butter, the third act does get going. the ending does take some thinking to figure out, at least for me.
25. ralph breaks the internet, netflix - cute, funny animated. exactly what one expects out of a disney flick these days.
26. deadpool 2 - still like this! it's irreverent, and appeals to the 13 yr old inside of me.
27. rim of the world, netflix - coming of age story involving summer camp and an alien attack. homages to jurassic park, independence day, and, well, about every other alien movie. typical summer popcorn action YA flick.
28. bright, netflix - what if the lord of the rings was real and all of the races were in contemporary times LA? with an orc breaking the race barrier on the lapd? and magic? a dark crime story with elves, orcs, and magic wands. enjoyed.
29. indiana jones and the raiders of the lost ark; been a long time since i watched this. memories of junior high.

30. indiana jones and temple of doom, netflix - wow. this was just bad. the female ornament who was just there to scream. forgot how bad this was.
31. i.j. and the last crusade, netflix - fun to rewatch. this one holds up fairly well.
33. jurassic park the lost kingdom, hbo (staying with friends) - this was a blockbuster a few summers ago? recycled plot? greedy business types? at least the dino's were still the star of the show.
34. how it ends, netflix - a good apocalyptic story about a guy trying to get back to his girl. forrest whittaker was really good. enjoyed.
35. IO, netflix - if  you enjoy watching two people have stilted dialogue while moving at a glacial pace, this is for you. if you like movies, AVOID this. if you still think you'd like to watch it: humans bad, will destroy the planet, but still can save it. there, i saved two hours of your life. there was nothing about space or Io in this dog.
36. extinction, netflix - this surprised me! alien invasion, man trying to save family, good action, excellent suspense. third act was worth it. recommended.
edit to add:
37. bird box, netflix - sandra bullock does a great job. enjoyed and recommended.
38. the silence, netflix - good acting in a story about "vesps" that are unleashed and hunt via sound. was really interesting to watch a movie where sight was a liability and immediately follow it with one where sound was the liability. how the filmmakers used each liability to further the story was really cool. i liked this one and recommend it.
39. the mummy returns, netflix; had to have seen this back in the day, but had forgot much of the plot. fairly entertaining. popcorn fodder, but enjoyable. the cgi was particularly terrible.
40. the mummy, tomb of the dragon emperor, netflix - the cgi is better, same type of plot, but a engaging story. i don't remember if i watched this back in the day, but one scene with yetis seemed familiar. counting it as a new watch. i read where the mummy movies were leaving netflix so decided to watch them.
41. the dark crystal, netflix - 1982, released the same week as ET. this was dark for a kids movie and little semblance to a muppet movie. still, for the time, was good; the puppets were strange looking and just what the movie needed. the story was a bit convoluted and dragged at times. was ok for a 90 minute movie.
42. murder mystery, netflix - i was surprised that i found this enjoyable. fun plot, and enough to keep me guessing. clearly adam sandler wanted to spend some time in monte carlo!
43. the ballad of buster scruggs, netflix - 6 twilight zone episodes based upon the western genre, with the coen brothers fingerprint. took me all day to finish this, as i had things to do, but i did enjoy the coen brothers take.
44. cirque du freak:the vampires assistant, netflix - john c reilly as a vampire? and it mostly worked. bring your popcorn and turn off your brain.
45. bunks, netflix - leave it to canada to make a non-gory, happy ending zombie summer camp movie. might be good to introduce pre-teens to the genre. i figure it was a made for tv movie on the cbc.
46. here alone, netflix - more of a character study than a zombie movie, little gore, plenty of backstory of the main character. tried to play the moral dilemma of choices to make as the world is ending around you. was ok, moved slower than i would've liked.
47. spectral, netflix  - decent war movie with the combatants being very different. good action flick for the summer.
48. the wolf's call, netflix - french submarine thriller. really got into it. recommend.
49. dale and tucker vs evil, netflix - pretty good spoof of the teen slasher genre, from 2010. was fun.
51. day of the dead: bloodline, netflix - gore! gore! gore! blood explosions! zombie wiping blood all over the windshield of a car for added effect?  zombie with intestines wrapped around its neck? you bet, and that's just the first 3 mins! and that's about as good as it got. meh, and i'm a fan of the genre.
52. revolt, netflix - action alien invasion set in kenya. this one drew me in and i enjoyed the ride.
53. the siege of jadotville, netflix - as the fledgling UN is trying to find its voice, the congo is in the midst of a civil war. a company of irish solders are sent to be peacekeepers. obviously, they are attacked. their story was covered up. this movie won a few irish awards. well done, good story. recommend.
54. the golem, netflix - meh. actually started dinking around on the internet while this was playing just to finish the movie so it wouldn't show up on my "continue watching" list. avoid.
55. always be my maybe, netflix - cute, funny, touching. formulaic, perhaps. i haven't watched many rom-coms. i enjoyed it. recommend.
57. megamind, netflix - cute animated what if the villain actually beat the hero? movie. something light after all of stranger things to cleanse the palate.
58. rampant, netflix - korean period piece with feudal intrigue and zombies. same idea as the series kingdom. some of the best zombie stuff i've seen in quiet a long time. recommend.
59. the great battle, netflix - epic retelling of a legendary battle in korean history. reminded me of the battle scene from helm's deep from the lotr series. really enjoyed this. recommend.
60. MIB international, the lyon, south lyon, mi - plot was predictable, and someone (butter, maybe?) said it: a nice way to spend two hours but unremarkable. was ok.
61. point blank, netflix - the trailer had a remark about graeters ice cream, so i had to watch. seems this might be a remake, but was set in the queen city. didn't recognize much, but have been out of the area for 25 years. enjoyed the ride.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:50:03 AM by notoriouspbake »

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #207 on: July 18, 2019, 01:03:39 PM »

2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8
10. Wayne's World
12. The Favourite - 9
14. Leave No Trace - 7
18. Us - 7
20. Captain Marvel - 7
22. Free Solo - 8
23. Tag - 6
25. The Departed - 8
26. Unsane - 9
28. mother! - 5
30. Unseen - 6
31. The Endless - 3
33. Burning - 7
34. Starry Eyes - 3
35. Amy - 8
36. Shazam - 7
37. Long Shot - 7
38. Clue
46. Obvious Child - 7
48. Booksmart - 8
51. Toy Story 4 - 7
52. Caddyshack
53. Miracle (2004) - 7
55. Vice - 7
56. Midsommar - 10

57. I Love You, Now Die (HBO) - 8

I was all ready to give this like a 4 or 5 or so, and then Part 2 happened.  Quite well done and thought provoking, even if there isn't a whole lot of filmmaking to it beyond presenting the key parts of the trial, the key text messages, and a few talking heads.  It was well constructed and really left you wondering whether this truly was justice. 

Helps that I had never heard about this before and literally had no pre-conceived notions going in.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #208 on: July 19, 2019, 01:19:37 PM »

a new year!

19. kill bill vol 1

edit to add:
58. rampant, netflix - korean period piece with feudal intrigue and zombies. same idea as the series kingdom. some of the best zombie stuff i've seen in quiet a long time. recommend.
59. the great battle, netflix - epic retelling of a legendary battle in korean history. reminded me of the battle scene from helm's deep from the lotr series. really enjoyed this. recommend.
60. MIB international, the lyon, south lyon, mi - plot was predictable, and someone (butter, maybe?) said it: a nice way to spend two hours but unremarkable. was ok.
61. point blank, netflix - the trailer had a remark about graeters ice cream, so i had to watch. seems this might be a remake, but was set in the queen city. didn't recognize much, but have been out of the area for 25 years. enjoyed the ride.
62. okja, netflix - dammit, c-lando! this was good, but damn, i have no idea how to handle it.
I found this charming and horrifying and I would probably watch it again.
charming and horrifying indeed. this one had me riding an emotional roller coaster - perhaps i was more sensitive when watching for some reason. i haven't had a movie get a visceral reaction out of me for a very long time. unsettling. difficult to comment on it without spoiling it, but i did not predict much of the plot - not that i was really trying, i was engrossed in the story and how it turned out. not sure that i'd watch again anytime soon. but i do recommend it!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #209 on: July 19, 2019, 03:40:17 PM »

1. Vice (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
2. Bumblebee (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
3. Escape Room (Kenwood Theater)
4. King In the Wilderness (HBO on Demand)
5. On The Basis of Sex (Mariemont Theater)
6. If Beale Street Could Talk (Esquire Theater)
7. Bright Lights: Starring Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher (HBO on Demand)
8. Beware Slenderman (HBO on Demand)
9. If You're Not in the Obits, Eat Breakfast (HBO on Demand)
10. Shoplifters (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
11. Rain Man (EPIX)
12. Rock and a Hard Place (HBO on Demand)
13. Cold War (Esquire Theater)
14. They Shall Not Grow Old 3D (Cinemark Oakley)
15. Stan & Ollie (Mariemont Theater)
16. Budapest Noire (2019 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival @ Esquire Theater)
17. The Last Suit (2019 Jewish & Israeli Fim Festival @ Mariemont Theater)
18. Cold Pursuit (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
19. Capernaum (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
20. When the Smoke Clears (2019 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival @ Mariemont Theater)
21. Arctic (Esquire Theater)
22. Greta (Esquire Theater)
23. Everybody Knows (Mariemont Theater)
24. Never Look Away (Esquire Theater)
25. To Dust (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
26. Climax (Esquire Theater)
27. The Wedding Guest (Mariemont Theater)
28. Gloria Bell (Mariemont Theater)
29. Apollo 11 (Mariemont Theater)
30. Birds of Passage (Esquire Theater)
31. Ash Is Purest White (Landmark West End Cinema, Washington, DC)
32. The Hummingbird Project (Mariemont Theater)
33. Hotel Mumbai (AMC Newport On the Levee)
34. The Mustang (Esquire Theater)
35. Diane (Mariemont Theater)
36. The Public (Esquite Theater)
37. Woman At War (Esquire Theater)
38. Mapplethorpe (Esquire Theater)
39. Mary Magdalene (Mariemont Theater)
40. The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley (HBO On Demand)
41. High Life (Esquire Theater)
42. Teen Spirit (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
43. Peterloo (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
44. Us (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
45. Stockholm (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
46. Penguins (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
47. Sunset (Esquire Theater)
48. Transit (Esquire Theater)
49. Long Shot (Cinemark Oakley)
50. Hail Satan? (Esquire Theater)
51. Amazing Grace (Mariemont Theater)
52. Charlie Says (Esquire Theater)
53. Tolkien (Mariemont Theater)
54. Little Woods (Esquire Theater)
55. John Wick - Chapter 3 Parabellum (Cinemark Oakley)
56. Red Joan (Mariemont Theater)
57. Nonfiction (Esquire Theater)
58. Meeting Gorbachev (Esquire Theater)
59. Booksmart (Cinemark Oakley)
60. Trial By Fire (Esquire Theater)
61. Rocketman (Cinemark Oakley)
62. Ma (Cinemark oakley)
63. Her Smell (Esquire Theater)
64. The Biggest Little Farm (Mariemont Theater)
65. Cuba (OMNIMAX at Union Terminal)
66. Late Night (Cinemark Oakley)
67. The Dead Don't Die (Esquire Theater)
68. Chernobyl (HBO on Demand)
69. The Tomorrow Man (Mariemont Theater)
Updating the last 4 weeks:

70. Anna (Cinemark Oakley)
71. The Last Black Man in San Francisco (Esquire theater)
72. Echo In the Canyon (Mariemont Theater)
73. Blade Runner (Esquire Theater
74. Midsommar (Cinemark Oakley)
75. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Esquire Theater)
76. Wild Rose (Mariemont Theater)
77. I Love You, Now Die (HBO)
78. Mommy Dead and Dearest (HBO on Demand)
79. At the Heart of Gold: The USA Gymnastics Scandal (HBO on Demand)
80. Thought Crimes: The Case of the Cannibal Cop (HBO on Demand)
81. Toy Story 4 (Cinemark Oakley)

Let's start with the obvious: Toy Story 4 is great. What a way to celebrate a (roughly) quarter century of fun and sheer brilliance. I was surprised how much of the film seemed directed at audiences other than kids (such as the entire side story about the "defective" doll).

But this past month's essential viewing for me were these documentaries on HBO, all of which are produced/directed by Erin Lee Carr. After having seen the excellent I Love You, Now Die, I binge-watched her other 3 feature length documentaries, all very much worth checking out. I love me a good documentary, and these all are.

I quite liked Midsommar, which I thought was a really good mindf*ck. Way, way out there.

Watching Blade Runner and Close Encounters in the theater again after all these years was a delight.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19   Go Up