Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2019  (Read 16854 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2019
« Reply #255 on: September 27, 2019, 04:20:32 PM »

I haven't, but with a recommendation like that, I guess I should put it on the list?

Actually, skip MAGIC MIKE and go straight to MAGIC MIKE XXL. More cheese, but so much more fun than the first one.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #256 on: September 30, 2019, 12:41:19 AM »

agreed! Magic Mike had too much plot. XXL is full of cheese!

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #257 on: September 30, 2019, 12:47:05 AM »

1. John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous at Radio City Music Hall- needed something light after Infinity War!
2. Vice  Bale was good, but it was definitely pandering to a specific audience. Also, I thought I'd need heart surgery after all of it!
3. Crazy Rich Asians- needs more Awkwafina.
4. if Beale Street Could Talk really incredible, and should have been nominated for best picture.
5. Fyre Fraud
6. Justice League well, this was not a good movie, and having the stand alones for Wonder Woman and Aquaman come out after this was a bad plan.
7. They Shall Not Grow Old- impressive technical feat. Incredible to see and hear these men who have been gone for so long.
8. Paris is Burning A still-relevant documentary of drag balls in New York in the 1980s.
9. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- still sweet
10. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- look, it was a rough week. I reserve the right to watch cuteness again and again!
11. The Kissing Booth Oh my lord, this was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and I totally hate watched it.
12. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- palate cleanser
13. Thor: Ragnarock
14. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
15. Ibiza- Other than Richard Madden's accent, not much reason to watch. I liked it more the first go-round.
16. The Changeover based on Margaret Mahy's book of the same name. It was not as good as the book, of course, but it was nice to see one of my favorite books on the screen.
17. Isn't it Romantic Cute, and I loved that the New York apartment was appropriately small.
18. Captain Marvel Needed more Goose! Great soundtrack, but I would have loved to have "Cannonball" on it.
19. The Incredibles 2 Netflix, and it kept cutting out, so I couldn't really get into it.
20. Ant Man and the Wasp- I liked it better on repeat viewing, but I am still "meh" on this addition to the MCU
21. Nate Bargatze: The Tennessee Kid Stand up from Old Hickory, TN, which is 20 minutes from where I grew up. And my hometown is name-checked in the final bit, and is waaay too dead on, but still funny.
22. Unicorn Store I wanted more Brie Larson and Sam Jackson, but it was a rather harmless movie.
23. Avengers: Infinity War- I'm gearing up for the final installment at the end of the month!
24. The Breaker Upperers The New Zealand humor appeals to me, and while neither lead is particularly "nice" you are rooting for them to figure it out.
25. Too Funny to Fail: The Life and Death of the Dana Carvey Show I don't even remember the show existing, but it was interesting to see. Carvey is funny.
26. Teen Wolf- It is on Hulu, I wanted to relive junior high!
27. Us I was hiding behind my jacket for much of it, and it's a thinker, but in the cold light of day it isn't too bad.
28. Oh Lucy Oh, boy this was not good. I started watching because it had Josh Harnett, and it just took a strange left turn.
29. Iron Man 2- Rewatch, since I didn't remember it.
30. The Perfect Date Peter Kavinsky, erm, Noah Centinio is a guy who sets up an app for a Stand In date. This should have been the name of the movie instead of the Perfect Date. It was cute.
31. The Edge of Seventeen You could not pay me to be a teen again. I would have liked it better if both siblings had had the focus, rather than just Nadine. Hallie Steinfeld does a great job, and Woody Harrelson was excellent, too.
32. Avengers: End Game well worth the 21 movie build up. The Russo bros stuck the landing! I liked it so much I'm going to see it again on Tuesday with Lando.
33. Avengers: End Game- yeah, Lando got to watch me cry. And cheer
34. Long Shot the year of the Rom Com continues! Enjoyed it very much.
35. The Mummy Returns- The addition of the kid didn't really help the movie.
36. Long Shot I am so glad to see the resurgence of the rom com. If you like Seth Rogen, you'll like this, if you don't, you won't.
37. John Wick 3 So violent, and I so love this world
38. Brampton's Own found it on Netflix, and it was not a good movie. Rose McIver deserves better movies.
39. Wine Country I enjoyed it, in part because I could see some of my "Girls Group" in these characters
40. Beetlejuice- wow, Alec Baldwin was really hot in this! Winona Ryder is a total baby in this
41. Destination Wedding- I find it delightful. They are not good people, but they are good together.
42. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood Tarantino's foot fetish got to be a bit much for me.
43. Mary Poppins Returns Needed more Dick van Dyke. Perfectly serviceable kids movie
44. Dora the Explorer Night out with Lando! I laughed so much. They really made a good movie, and you could watch it as an adult and enjoy it.
45. To All the Boys I've Loved Before: look, it's a comfort movie, and easy to watch.
46. Four Weddings and a Funeral: Hugh Grant was incredibly cute, and Andi McDowell couldn't act her way out of a paper bag.
47. Always be my Maybe  Decent acting and a fine story, it's totally in my wheelhouse. The Keanu stuff was perfection.
48. Always be my Maybe- rewatch
49. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade- oh, Indy
50. Ready or Not - with Lando. Glad I saw it in the daytime! More gore than horror.
51. Good Boys I laughed, I cringed, I really enjoyed myself.
52. Wet Hot American Summer- I think it's been a couple of years but I do still like this movie so much.
53. Some Kind of Wonderful- it holds up remarkably well, and Eric Stoltz is really a cutie-pie.
54. Hot Tub Time Machine it was better than it had any right to be.
55. This Beautiful Fantastic It was trying to be quirky, but was a bit formulaic. Watch Amelie for a better quirky woman who finds love.

56. The Duff- Mae Whitman is a delight, and Robbie Amell is delicious to look at. It fits in the current teen rom-com genre quite well
57. Between Two Ferns I like this humor, but not for an extended time period.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #258 on: October 01, 2019, 07:34:01 AM »

1. Shirkers (Netflix) - 9
2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
4. First Reformed (Amazon Prime) - 5
5. Minding the Gap (Hulu) - 8
6. If Beale Street Could Talk - 9
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8
9. Remastered: Massacre at the Stadium (Netflix) - 6
10. Wayne's World
11. They Shall Not Grow Old - 8
12. The Favourite - 9
13. Abducted in Plain Sight (Netflix) - 7
14. Leave No Trace - 7
15. Ghostbusters (the "all-women" one) - 6
16. Alita: Battle Angel (in 3D!  on a cruise ship!) - 7
17. Superpower Dogs (in 3D!  on a cruise ship!) - 7
18. Us - 7
19. Too Funny to Fail: The Life and Death of the Dana Carvey Show (Hulu) - 8
20. Captain Marvel - 7
21. Period. End of Sentence. - 9
22. Free Solo - 8
23. Tag - 6
24. Avengers: Endgame - 8
25. The Departed - 8
26. Unsane - 9
27. The Strangers: Prey at Night - 5
28. mother! - 5
29. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - 7
30. Unseen - 6
31. The Endless - 3
32. Hereditary (re-watch)
33. Burning - 7
34. Starry Eyes - 3
35. Amy - 8
36. Shazam - 7
37. Long Shot - 7
38. Clue
39. Leaving Neverland (HBO) - 8
40. Perfect Bid (Netflix) - 4
41. Beautiful Boy (Amazon Prime) - 6
42. The Disaster Artist (Amazon Prime) - 7
43. Missing Mom (Amazon Prime) - 1
44. Wine Country (Netflix) - 5
45. The Perfection (Netflix) - 7
46. Obvious Child - 7
47. Always Be My Maybe (Netflix) - 8
48. Booksmart - 8
49. I Am Mother (Netflix) - 7
50. Hell or High Water - 7
51. Toy Story 4 - 7
52. Caddyshack
53. Miracle (2004) - 7
54. Spiderman: Far From Home - 7
55. Vice - 7
56. Midsommar - 10
57. I Love You, Now Die (HBO) - 8
58. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood - 8
59. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
60. Behind Closed Doors: The Talwars (HBO) - 7
61. Who Killed Garrett Phillips? (HBO) - 7
62. National Lampoon's European Vacation
63. Roll Red Roll (Netflix) - 7
64. Good Boys - 7
65. Apollo 11 (Hulu) - 10
66. The Amazing Johnathan Documentary (Hulu) - 4
67. Ready or Not - 7

68. Ad Astra - 7

This was quite the ponderous sci-fi film.  Basically you spend the entire film trying to figure out Brad Pitt's character, and he's not quite the enigma he seems to be.  The mystery isn't much of a mystery, it's more about the journey.  It was good, but not my favorite.  C-Fan actually had to explain the ending to me and why it wasn't as bad and rote as I thought. 

69. A Simple Favor - 7

Anna Kendrick acts the eff outta this, but she's not supported by much more than a pulpy Young and the Restless style plot. 

70. A Separation - 8

Finally saw this Oscar winning 2011 Iranian film, and it was as advertised.  I'll crib a review from the Wiki for this film, as the most impressive thing to me was how to make an engaging and fulfilling drama within the censorship of the Iranian state:

"Just when it seemed impossible for Iranian filmmakers to express themselves meaningfully outside the bounds of censorship, Asghar Farhadi's Nader and Simin, A Separation comes along to prove the contrary. Apparently simple on a narrative level yet morally, psychologically and socially complex, it succeeds in bringing Iranian society into focus for in a way few other films have done."

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #259 on: October 02, 2019, 12:49:06 PM »

2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8
10. Wayne's World
12. The Favourite - 9
14. Leave No Trace - 7
18. Us - 7
20. Captain Marvel - 7
22. Free Solo - 8
23. Tag - 6
25. The Departed - 8
26. Unsane - 9
28. mother! - 5
30. Unseen - 6
31. The Endless - 3
33. Burning - 7
34. Starry Eyes - 3
35. Amy - 8
36. Shazam - 7
37. Long Shot - 7
38. Clue
46. Obvious Child - 7
48. Booksmart - 8
51. Toy Story 4 - 7
52. Caddyshack
53. Miracle (2004) - 7
55. Vice - 7
56. Midsommar - 10
64. Good Boys - 7
67. Ready or Not - 7
68. Ad Astra - 7
69. A Simple Favor - 7
70. A Separation - 8

71. It Chapter Two - 4

This movie is a fucking mess.  There is a brutal murder at the beginning of the film which has virtually no relationship to the rest of the material except to remind you how nasty some of the Derry villains (non-clown) are.  There is some awful CGI on the kids for whatever fucking reason.  There are the wild tonal shifts, thanks to really leaning into there being a couple of wisenheimers who like to crack jokes at literally every opportunity in the group of adults.  There is an 80's song just inserted in during a supposedly scary interlude.  There is the re-imagining of the original Stephen King ending (which admittedly was a giant mess that dragged on for 100 pages) that somehow turns into a stupid CGI action set piece.  There is the immersion ruining cameo of King himself. 

And finally, there is the length.  If you were going to spend 3 hours with a group, would you rather do it with the kids or the adults?  Don't answer until you've heard that almost all of these actors are just not bought into this script at all, or told to act pretty lax at most opportunities.  McAvoy comes the closest to committing during a couple of periods of fright while trying to defend some other youngsters.  Hader is pretty good.  Everybody else is blah AT BEST.  Chastain has the least convincing scream of anyone I've ever heard.  And some of the best parts of the movie are when the kid cast reappears through flashbacks, because we had to get this baby up to 2 hours and 50 fucking minutes.

Yet I gave it a 4.  I guess the joke's on me because I did enjoy some of it, but not most of it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 12:51:24 PM by Butter »

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #260 on: October 02, 2019, 10:47:04 PM »

1. John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous at Radio City Music Hall- needed something light after Infinity War!
2. Vice  Bale was good, but it was definitely pandering to a specific audience. Also, I thought I'd need heart surgery after all of it!
4. if Beale Street Could Talk really incredible, and should have been nominated for best picture.
5. Fyre Fraud
6. Justice League well, this was not a good movie, and having the stand alones for Wonder Woman and Aquaman come out after this was a bad plan.
7. They Shall Not Grow Old- impressive technical feat. Incredible to see and hear these men who have been gone for so long.
8. Paris is Burning A still-relevant documentary of drag balls in New York in the 1980s.
10. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- look, it was a rough week. I reserve the right to watch cuteness again and again!
11. The Kissing Booth Oh my lord, this was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and I totally hate watched it.
15. Ibiza- Other than Richard Madden's accent, not much reason to watch. I liked it more the first go-round.
16. The Changeover based on Margaret Mahy's book of the same name. It was not as good as the book, of course, but it was nice to see one of my favorite books on the screen.
17. Isn't it Romantic Cute, and I loved that the New York apartment was appropriately small.
18. Captain Marvel Needed more Goose! Great soundtrack, but I would have loved to have "Cannonball" on it.
19. The Incredibles 2 Netflix, and it kept cutting out, so I couldn't really get into it.
20. Ant Man and the Wasp- I liked it better on repeat viewing, but I am still "meh" on this addition to the MCU
21. Nate Bargatze: The Tennessee Kid Stand up from Old Hickory, TN, which is 20 minutes from where I grew up. And my hometown is name-checked in the final bit, and is waaay too dead on, but still funny.
22. Unicorn Store I wanted more Brie Larson and Sam Jackson, but it was a rather harmless movie.
23. Avengers: Infinity War- I'm gearing up for the final installment at the end of the month!
24. The Breaker Upperers The New Zealand humor appeals to me, and while neither lead is particularly "nice" you are rooting for them to figure it out.
25. Too Funny to Fail: The Life and Death of the Dana Carvey Show I don't even remember the show existing, but it was interesting to see. Carvey is funny.
27. Us I was hiding behind my jacket for much of it, and it's a thinker, but in the cold light of day it isn't too bad.
28. Oh Lucy Oh, boy this was not good. I started watching because it had Josh Harnett, and it just took a strange left turn.
30. The Perfect Date Peter Kavinsky, erm, Noah Centinio is a guy who sets up an app for a Stand In date. This should have been the name of the movie instead of the Perfect Date. It was cute.
31. The Edge of Seventeen You could not pay me to be a teen again. I would have liked it better if both siblings had had the focus, rather than just Nadine. Hallie Steinfeld does a great job, and Woody Harrelson was excellent, too.
32. Avengers: End Game well worth the 21 movie build up. The Russo bros stuck the landing! I liked it so much I'm going to see it again on Tuesday with Lando.
36. Long Shot I am so glad to see the resurgence of the rom com. If you like Seth Rogen, you'll like this, if you don't, you won't.
38. Brampton's Own found it on Netflix, and it was not a good movie. Rose McIver deserves better movies.
39. Wine Country I enjoyed it, in part because I could see some of my "Girls Group" in these characters
40. Beetlejuice- wow, Alec Baldwin was really hot in this! Winona Ryder is a total baby in this
41. Destination Wedding- I find it delightful. They are not good people, but they are good together.
42. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood Tarantino's foot fetish got to be a bit much for me.
43. Mary Poppins Returns Needed more Dick van Dyke. Perfectly serviceable kids movie
44. Dora the Explorer Night out with Lando! I laughed so much. They really made a good movie, and you could watch it as an adult and enjoy it.
45. To All the Boys I've Loved Before: look, it's a comfort movie, and easy to watch.
46. Four Weddings and a Funeral: Hugh Grant was incredibly cute, and Andi McDowell couldn't act her way out of a paper bag.
47. Always be my Maybe  Decent acting and a fine story, it's totally in my wheelhouse. The Keanu stuff was perfection.
50. Ready or Not - with Lando. Glad I saw it in the daytime! More gore than horror.
52. Wet Hot American Summer- I think it's been a couple of years but I do still like this movie so much.
53. Some Kind of Wonderful- it holds up remarkably well, and Eric Stoltz is really a cutie-pie.
55. This Beautiful Fantastic It was trying to be quirky, but was a bit formulaic. Watch Amelie for a better quirky woman who finds love.
56. The Duff- Mae Whitman is a delight, and Robbie Amell is delicious to look at. It fits in the current teen rom-com genre quite well

58. Strictly Ballroom- I own this, and hadn't watched in ages. It's such a sweet, kind little movie.
59. Penelope- Clearly, I need some happy light fare these days.

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #261 on: October 06, 2019, 07:39:45 PM »

5. Fyre Fraud
58. Strictly Ballroom- I own this, and hadn't watched in ages. It's such a sweet, kind little movie.
59. Penelope- Clearly, I need some happy light fare these days.

60. The Competition Thora Birch and Chris Klein in a romcom. She created a formula (and blog) about how likely someone is to cheat. Klein's character is supposed to get her to take down the blog because her sister doesn't like it. Good actors, but the story needed work. Birch should be in more things.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #262 on: October 07, 2019, 07:24:09 AM »

2. Blockers - 6
3. Crazy Rich Asians - 8
7. Super Troopers - 6
8. Fyre (Netflix) - 8
10. Wayne's World
12. The Favourite - 9
14. Leave No Trace - 7
18. Us - 7
20. Captain Marvel - 7
22. Free Solo - 8
23. Tag - 6
25. The Departed - 8
26. Unsane - 9
28. mother! - 5
30. Unseen - 6
31. The Endless - 3
33. Burning - 7
34. Starry Eyes - 3
35. Amy - 8
36. Shazam - 7
37. Long Shot - 7
38. Clue
46. Obvious Child - 7
48. Booksmart - 8
51. Toy Story 4 - 7
52. Caddyshack
53. Miracle (2004) - 7
55. Vice - 7
56. Midsommar - 10
64. Good Boys - 7
67. Ready or Not - 7
68. Ad Astra - 7
69. A Simple Favor - 7
70. A Separation - 8
71. It Chapter Two - 4

72. The Peanut Butter Falcon - 7

A bit of a fairy tale feel to this story of a guy with Down's Syndrome who wants to be a professional wrestler.  Shia LaBeouf does really well in this, and Dakota Johnson also appears, doing significantly worse work.

73. Joker - 8

When my wife says "man, that hits a little too close to home" as far as feeling that she's worked with people that are about one step away from losing it like Arthur Fleck does in this film, then you know the film has done its job.  Not only that but his performance, while scenery-chewing, does not lose its groundedness, which is quite a feat with a sort of "superhero origin" film. 

A lot of fuss around the periphery of this film, all I can say is put that aside and see it if the gist of the story sounds even mildly appealing.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #263 on: October 07, 2019, 11:46:59 AM »

The Peanut Butter Falcon was produced by David Thies, who grew up in Mount Lookout and used to have a film company here before moving to L.A.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #264 on: October 07, 2019, 01:40:20 PM »

The Peanut Butter Falcon was produced by David Thies, who grew up in Mount Lookout and used to have a film company here before moving to L.A.
Didn't know that. Very cool. It's one of my favorite movies of the year (top 10 or top 5).
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #265 on: October 07, 2019, 01:58:34 PM »

1. Vice (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
2. Bumblebee (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
3. Escape Room (Kenwood Theater)
4. King In the Wilderness (HBO on Demand)
5. On The Basis of Sex (Mariemont Theater)
6. If Beale Street Could Talk (Esquire Theater)
7. Bright Lights: Starring Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher (HBO on Demand)
8. Beware Slenderman (HBO on Demand)
9. If You're Not in the Obits, Eat Breakfast (HBO on Demand)
10. Shoplifters (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
11. Rain Man (EPIX)
12. Rock and a Hard Place (HBO on Demand)
13. Cold War (Esquire Theater)
14. They Shall Not Grow Old 3D (Cinemark Oakley)
15. Stan & Ollie (Mariemont Theater)
16. Budapest Noire (2019 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival @ Esquire Theater)
17. The Last Suit (2019 Jewish & Israeli Fim Festival @ Mariemont Theater)
18. Cold Pursuit (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
19. Capernaum (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
20. When the Smoke Clears (2019 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival @ Mariemont Theater)
21. Arctic (Esquire Theater)
22. Greta (Esquire Theater)
23. Everybody Knows (Mariemont Theater)
24. Never Look Away (Esquire Theater)
25. To Dust (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
26. Climax (Esquire Theater)
27. The Wedding Guest (Mariemont Theater)
28. Gloria Bell (Mariemont Theater)
29. Apollo 11 (Mariemont Theater)
30. Birds of Passage (Esquire Theater)
31. Ash Is Purest White (Landmark West End Cinema, Washington, DC)
32. The Hummingbird Project (Mariemont Theater)
33. Hotel Mumbai (AMC Newport On the Levee)
34. The Mustang (Esquire Theater)
35. Diane (Mariemont Theater)
36. The Public (Esquite Theater)
37. Woman At War (Esquire Theater)
38. Mapplethorpe (Esquire Theater)
39. Mary Magdalene (Mariemont Theater)
40. The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley (HBO On Demand)
41. High Life (Esquire Theater)
42. Teen Spirit (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
43. Peterloo (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
44. Us (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
45. Stockholm (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
46. Penguins (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
47. Sunset (Esquire Theater)
48. Transit (Esquire Theater)
49. Long Shot (Cinemark Oakley)
50. Hail Satan? (Esquire Theater)
51. Amazing Grace (Mariemont Theater)
52. Charlie Says (Esquire Theater)
53. Tolkien (Mariemont Theater)
54. Little Woods (Esquire Theater)
55. John Wick - Chapter 3 Parabellum (Cinemark Oakley)
56. Red Joan (Mariemont Theater)
57. Nonfiction (Esquire Theater)
58. Meeting Gorbachev (Esquire Theater)
59. Booksmart (Cinemark Oakley)
60. Trial By Fire (Esquire Theater)
61. Rocketman (Cinemark Oakley)
62. Ma (Cinemark oakley)
63. Her Smell (Esquire Theater)
64. The Biggest Little Farm (Mariemont Theater)
65. Cuba (OMNIMAX at Union Terminal)
66. Late Night (Cinemark Oakley)
67. The Dead Don't Die (Esquire Theater)
68. Chernobyl (HBO on Demand)
69. The Tomorrow Man (Mariemont Theater)
70. Anna (Cinemark Oakley)
71. The Last Black Man in San Francisco (Esquire theater)
72. Echo In the Canyon (Mariemont Theater)
73. Blade Runner (Esquire Theater
74. Midsommar (Cinemark Oakley)
75. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Esquire Theater)
76. Wild Rose (Mariemont Theater)
77. I Love You, Now Die (HBO)
78. Mommy Dead and Dearest (HBO on Demand)
79. At the Heart of Gold: The USA Gymnastics Scandal (HBO on Demand)
80. Thought Crimes: The Case of the Cannibal Cop (HBO on Demand)
81. Toy Story 4 (Cinemark Oakley)
82. The Art of Self-Defense (Esquire Theater)
83. The Fall of The American Empire (Esquire Theater)
84. Behind Close Doors: The Talwars (HBO)
85. Who Killed Garrett Phillips? (HBO)
86. Marianne & Leonard: Words of Love (Esquire Theater)
87. Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood (Cinemark Oakley)
88. Dune (Esquire Theater)
89. Slaying the Badger (ESPN 30 for 30)
90. Unmasking Jihadi John (HBO)
91. Share (HBO)
92. Rosie (Mariemont Theater)
93. Shadow (Esquire Theater)
94. The Farewell (Mariemont Theater)
95. XTC - This Is Pop (SHO)
96. XY Chelsea (SHO)
97. Belsan: Three Days in September (SHO)
98. Toni Morrison: The Pieces I Am (Esquire Theater)
99. David Bowie: Finding Fame (SHO)
100. Maiden (Esquire Theater)
101. Alternate Endings: Six New Ways To Die in America (HBO)
102. The Cheshire Murders (HBO)
102. Brian Banks (Mariemont Theater)
103. Where'd You Go, Bernadette? (Cinemark Oakley)
104. Good Boys (Cinemark Oakley)
105. The Peanut Butter Falcon (Cinemark oakley)
106. Luce (Esquire Theater)
107. Ready Or Not (Cinemark Oakley)
108. Once Upon a Time In Hollywood (Cinemark Oakley)
109. Jay Myself (Esquire Theater)
110. Brittany Runs a Marathon (Cinemark Oakley)
111. Official Secrets (Esquire Theater)
112. Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice (Esquire Theater)
113. David Crosby: Remember My Name (Esquire Theater
114. Hustlers (Cinemark Oakley)
115. Ad Astra (Cinemark Oakley)
Updating the last 2 weeks:

116. Judy (Mariemont Theater)
117. Rambo's Last Blood (Cinemark Oakley)
118. Hitsville: The Making of Motown (SHO)
119. Diego Maradona (HBO)
120. Aquarele (Esquire Theater)
121. Xanadu (SHO)
122. Honeyland (Mariemont Theater

The best of this bunch is easily Honeyland, a stunning documentary from Macedonia (!), following the daily life of a woman beekeeper living in a small village in rural Macedonia, while also caring for her elderly mother. OSCAR PREDICTION: one or two Oscar nods are all but in the bag (Best Documentary; Best Foreign Language Movie). Do yourself a favor and check this out. You will thank me later.

Aquarele is a nature documentary out of Denmark about the force of nature that is water (in all of its forms and facets, including ice). I quite enjoyed it.

Diego Maradona is the latest documentary from British director Asif Kapadia, the Oscar-winning director ("Amy", "Senna"). It certainly isn't bad, but it is nowhere as good as either "Amy" or "Senna". Perhaps because both of them died but Maradona survives? I was quite struck by the stuff that was OMITTED entirely: Maradona being ejected from the 1994 World Cup due to failed drug test, and Maradona's controversial tenure as manager of the Argentine national team. How can you not mention this whatsoever? Other thing: seeing the footage of the Italian league games from the 80s reminded me how incredibly brutal, make that vicious, "catenaccio" was.

"Judy", the Judy Garland bio-pic starring Renee Zellweger, is Oscar-bait from start to finish. Okay movie, with outstanding performance by Zellweger. OSCAR PREDICTION: Best Actress nomination.

Xanadu: guilty pleasure all the way! Cheesy 1980 production with stellar music composed by John Farr (performed by Olivia Newton John) and Jeff Lynn (performed by ELO). I've had the CD soundtrack for decades, and know all of the songs by heart. I don't know how long it had been that I had seen the movie, I'm guessing easily 15-20 years but it could be longer. (I also saw the delightful Broadway adaptation in 2008, and loved that too.)
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #266 on: October 07, 2019, 03:27:37 PM »

Movies seen in 2019 (new movies in bold):
1. Shaun of the Dead
2. Twister
3. Super Troopers 2
4. A Quiet Place
5. The Untouchables
6. Solo: A Star Wars Story
7. Rabbit-Proof Fence

8. Shine
9. The Fugitive
10. The Firm
11. Meru

12. What We Do In The Shadows
13. The Godfather
14. The Incredibles 2
15. Catwalk: Tales from the Cat Show Circuit

16. Avengers: Infinity War
17. Rampage
18. Four Weddings and Funeral
19. High Flying Bird
20. The Old Man and the Gun
21. The Pelican Brief

22. Deadpool 2
23. Mission Impossible: Fallout
24. Peppermint
25. Crazy Rich Asians
26. Training Day

27. Deadpool
28. Captain Marvel
29. Green Book
30. Lego Movie 2
31. Dead Poets Society
32. The Girl in the Spider's Web
33. Ralph Breaks the Internet
34. Triple Frontier

35. Maverick
36. Reality Bites
37. A Knight's Tale
38. Major League
39. The Natural
40. Avengers: Infinity War
41. Avengers: Endgame
42. Edge of Tomorrow
43. The Meg
44. Comedian
45. Destination Wedding

46. Bloodsport
47. Bad Times at the El Royale
48. Booksmart

49. Clue
50. Men In Black: International
51. Notting Hill
52. V for Vendetta
53. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
54. The Hangover
55. Crazy Rich Asians
56. The Spy Who Dumped Me
57. Hobbs & Shaw
58. Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift

59. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
60. The Old Man and the Gun
61. Notting Hill
62. Thor: Ragnarok
63. Mortal Engines
64. Wedding Crashers
65. Red Sparrow
66. Apollo 11

67. Batman (1989)
68. Pitch Perfect 2
69. How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
70. White Men Can't Jump
71. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
72. Step Up
73. The Sisters Brothers

It was good, but not great. Very ponderous and that is interesting in its own way. I don't feel good recommending it and I don't feel good not recommending it. Just a decent western, I suppose? I do know that my wife fell asleep for part of it and then woke up and finished watching it...and she missed the best parts. Of the movie she saw, I'd give it a 4. But the best parts added in make it a 6.5.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #267 on: October 07, 2019, 03:32:44 PM »

73. The Sisters Brothers

It was good, but not great. Very ponderous and that is interesting in its own way. I don't feel good recommending it and I don't feel good not recommending it. Just a decent western, I suppose? I do know that my wife fell asleep for part of it and then woke up and finished watching it...and she missed the best parts. Of the movie she saw, I'd give it a 4. But the best parts added in make it a 6.5.

How did you watch this? It's on my list to see because I enjoyed the book so much.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #268 on: October 08, 2019, 05:28:43 PM »

It's on Hulu!

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #269 on: October 09, 2019, 08:11:23 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20   Go Up