Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Ethan story  (Read 18291 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Re: Another Ethan story
« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2018, 02:09:47 PM »

Can I take Ethan to a bar?

Can we get this to happen now that Ethan is in college? PRETTY PLEASE.
I would like to know everything that goes down when Ethan prepares himself to present his fake ID (which ZK will supply since we know he probably most definitely has a connect) to the bouncer.

Ethan is not doing so hot in college.  I know this is a shock.  He will be lucky to fail only one class, honestly.

But I do know he went to one frat party.  And afterwards he told me that he really didn't like it, because he really didn't like drinking and didn't see the point.

We will see if he ends up going back for Semester #2, right now I would give odds at about 50/50.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2018, 05:20:24 PM »

Can I take Ethan to a bar?

Can we get this to happen now that Ethan is in college? PRETTY PLEASE.
I would like to know everything that goes down when Ethan prepares himself to present his fake ID (which ZK will supply since we know he probably most definitely has a connect) to the bouncer.

Ethan is not doing so hot in college.  I know this is a shock.  He will be lucky to fail only one class, honestly.

But I do know he went to one frat party.  And afterwards he told me that he really didn't like it, because he really didn't like drinking and didn't see the point.

We will see if he ends up going back for Semester #2, right now I would give odds at about 50/50.
That first year is tough, Man.
Luckily, he's got two great parents who will help him figure it out.
Maybe he's not ready for college...YET.
Or maybe he'll surprise you guys and stick the landing.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #152 on: November 14, 2018, 09:05:33 AM »

So, he didn't heed my advice that going to class was pretty much the most important thing he could do?  I am shocked.  *SHOCKED* I tell you.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #153 on: November 14, 2018, 11:29:09 AM »

First semester is tough. It was by far my worst semester, although my grades were fine. There's a lot to sort out at that time.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2018, 10:53:12 PM »

Just to put things in perspective:

This past weekend, the 19 yr. old son (a UC student) of one of my partners at the law firm passed away, apparently of an overdose. Think about that as you think of how Ethan is doing. Count your blessings.

Also, my son attended college years ago, dropped out after 1 semester, doing just terrible, and never went back. He's a grad of St.Xavier HS, an all-male Jesuit HS that is college making machine, to say the least. But as it turned out, college just wasn't for him. After some early struggles, he landed on his feet at a company headquartered here in Blue Ash (suburban Cincy) as a lab technician (think: wearing a white coat), testing P&G materials (think: diapers, fem products) and he has thrived there (he works at one of the P&G facilities in Cincy). working his way up the chain. After 8-9 years, he is now considered a very valuable, dare I say integral and core member of that testing team. He's earning a nice living, and is enjoying his working environment. My point being: college is great, but it's not the end all, be all, for all kids, and there are other roads out there for kids who don't go the college rout to find a place in society.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:23:22 PM by euro60 »
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2018, 11:10:39 PM »

Sure, we didn't push him to college.

He wanted to do this, he did all the leg work. He didn't even strike me as the 4 year college type considering how much he hated school work.

I'm doing most of the paying for it. It's not so easy to just let him sit around and try to figure his shit out when it costs me five figures a year to do so in the current configuration, and he seemingly learns no lessons from anything. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2018, 11:29:02 PM »

I'm doing most of the paying for it. It's not so easy to just let him sit around and try to figure his shit out when it costs me five figures a year to do so in the current configuration, and he seemingly learns no lessons from anything.
That is exactly what I told my son. He was attending Wittenberg, not a cheap college. After that one disastrous semester, I told him I wasn't go to pay for it anymore, and hence he dropped out. But as mentioned, he landed on his feet quite nicely after all.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2018, 01:03:25 PM »

I do not think there is anything my parents could have done that would have helped me in college.  And I have Asian parents.  I also don't think things would have gone any better for me those years had I not gone to college.  I didn't really didn't have college/learning issues so much as I had life issues. 

I was going to flail around for a few years no matter what.  In retrospect, it's scary how close I came to screwing up. But also I think, if I hadn't gone to college or gone to college at a different school I would have gone off the tracks.  I am 100% certain if I had gone to VCU for example, that I would have just disappeared into the city.  There's nothing to do in Williamsburg except hang out on campus and go to class.  I still managed to skip probably like 75% of them, but that 25% was probably the difference between the C's I got vs F's.

If you'd asked me though, if I wanted to be in college I'd have said yes.  I wasn't happy, but I was much less unhappy in college than anywhere else.  I didn't want to live with my parents, and I had no clue about what job I might want.  At college I at least had some friends, and I liked learning.  I read all my books and stuff.  I just hated going to class and doing homework. 

I think that would be the hardest part for me, as a parent.  Trying to figure out if my kid is just not suited for college and is heading disastrously down the wrong track and needs to be pulled out fast, or if my kid is just going through what tons of young adults go through and will flail about for a year or two regardless of what they are doing and you just need to wait for them to come out the other side.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #158 on: November 16, 2018, 08:34:30 AM »

I do not think there is anything my parents could have done that would have helped me in college.  And I have Asian parents.  I also don't think things would have gone any better for me those years had I not gone to college.  I didn't really didn't have college/learning issues so much as I had life issues. 

I was going to flail around for a few years no matter what.  In retrospect, it's scary how close I came to screwing up. But also I think, if I hadn't gone to college or gone to college at a different school I would have gone off the tracks.  I am 100% certain if I had gone to VCU for example, that I would have just disappeared into the city.  There's nothing to do in Williamsburg except hang out on campus and go to class.  I still managed to skip probably like 75% of them, but that 25% was probably the difference between the C's I got vs F's.

If you'd asked me though, if I wanted to be in college I'd have said yes.  I wasn't happy, but I was much less unhappy in college than anywhere else.  I didn't want to live with my parents, and I had no clue about what job I might want.  At college I at least had some friends, and I liked learning.  I read all my books and stuff.  I just hated going to class and doing homework. 

I think that would be the hardest part for me, as a parent.  Trying to figure out if my kid is just not suited for college and is heading disastrously down the wrong track and needs to be pulled out fast, or if my kid is just going through what tons of young adults go through and will flail about for a year or two regardless of what they are doing and you just need to wait for them to come out the other side.

So, you'll take him out for a beer, right?
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up