Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 books in 2019  (Read 12273 times)

daytime drinking

• City Elder
Re: 50 books in 2019
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2019, 02:21:15 PM »

1-  i'm a stranger here myself- bill bryson
2- oh crap!  Potty Training: Everything Modern Parents Need to Know to Do It Once and Do It Right- jamie glowacki
3- sideshow usa: freaks and the american cultural imagination-  rachel adams
4- bhagavad gita- translated and commentary by ac bhaktivedanta swami prabhupada
5- lord of light- roger zelazny
6- uncle's dream- dostoyevsky
7- infinite jest- david foster wallace
8- the complete works of pseudo dionysius
9- nigger of the narcissus- joseph conrad 
10- the ascent of money- niall ferguson
11- zen mind, beginner's mind- shunryu suzuki
12- the frontiersmen- allan eckert
13- the odyssey- homer

14- the sun also rises- erns't hemingway-  boring but i didn't mind reading it.  i enjoy hemingway writing about bull fighting.  i don't like bull fighting, but i like what he sees in it.  i suppose.    i didn't know he liked wine 
poach eggs, not elephants

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2019, 08:32:07 AM »

1. "Manhattan Beach" - Jennifer Egan - Give me a book that's just about Eddie and the bosun.
2. "Dark Sacred Night" - Michael Connelly - Connelly finally puts Bosch and Ballard together and I like it.
3. "My Own Devices: Essays From the Road on Music, Science, and Senseless Love" - Dessa - I first heard about Dessa during Barb during her MPR days. I saw this book on the NPR book thingy and thought I would check it out. Parts of this book will definitely stick with me for a long time. I love the way her mind works, even if it seems to work against her in some aspects of her life.
4. "Come with Me" - Helen Schulman - Slooooooooooow start but I finally connected with the book in the final quarter. But, it took me all month (and about a week and a half of late fines from the library) to finish it.
5. "The Heart's Invisible Furies" - John Boyne
6. "Still Me" - Jojo Moyes
7. "To All the Boys I've Loved Before" - Jenny Han
8. "P.S. I Still Love You" - Jenny Han
9. "Always and Forever, Lara Jean" - Jenny Han
10. "The Wedding Date" - Jasmine Guillory - I wanted something and light and found this recommendation from Roxane Gay. I flew through the book. Definitely light and LUSTY.
11. "Rich People Problems" - Kevin Kwan
12. "We're Going to Need More Wine" - Gabrielle Union
13. "Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine" - Gail Honeyman - I found myself crying a lot while reading this book. She really pulls you into the loneliness of this character.
14. "The Proposal" - Jasmine Guillory - I had so much fun with her first book that I hopped onto the second one, which follows a secondary character from her first book.
15. "The Bride Test" - Helen Hoang - This was recommended for folks who liked the Jasmine Guillory books. I was not disappointed. I'm embracing my sudden need for somewhat trashy novels.
16. "The Lager Queen of Minnesota" - J. Ryan Stradal - Life's what happens while you're busy making other plans.
17. "Sunset Beach" - Mary Kay Andrews - I don't really read these but my best friend loves them. So, I thought we could discuss it during our vacation together this week. I started off hating this protagonist, but she and the story grew on me.
18. "The Last Romantics" - Tara Conklin - I wish it would have pulled off the Sci-Fi vibe that it gave me in the beginning. But, I still enjoyed it for the look at loss and grief.
19. "Evvie Drake Starts Over" - Linda Holmes
20. "The Royal Holiday" - Jasmine Guillory - This lady writes the kind of fluff that I like!
21. "The Night Fire" - Michael Connelly - Another Bosch/Ballard book - Harry doesn't believe in coincidences but there was definitely a BIG coincidence in the final act of this book that just seemed lazy. But, I won't get super-mad at Connelly since dude does churn out like 2-3 books a year that I mostly LOVE.
22. "The Wedding Party" - Jasmine Guillory - I want to have a dance party with Theo.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2019, 10:25:01 AM »

1. Andrzej Sapkowski - Baptism of Fire
2. Tara Westover - Educated
3. Andrzej Sapkowski - Tower of Swallows
4. Agatha Christie - And Then There Were None
5. Marlon James - Black Leopard, Red Wolf
6. Kevin Kwan - Crazy Rich Asians
7. Andrey Kurkov - Death and the Penguin
8. Andrzej Sapkowski - The Lady of the Lake
9. Neil Gaiman - The Graveyard Book
10. Andrzej Sapkowski - The Last Wish

Re-reading of the first Witcher book so that I can freshen up for the NETFLIX SHOW THAT RELEASES ON FRIDAY! OMG OMG!

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2019, 12:51:34 PM »

1. "Manhattan Beach" - Jennifer Egan - Give me a book that's just about Eddie and the bosun.
2. "Dark Sacred Night" - Michael Connelly - Connelly finally puts Bosch and Ballard together and I like it.
3. "My Own Devices: Essays From the Road on Music, Science, and Senseless Love" - Dessa - I first heard about Dessa during Barb during her MPR days. I saw this book on the NPR book thingy and thought I would check it out. Parts of this book will definitely stick with me for a long time. I love the way her mind works, even if it seems to work against her in some aspects of her life.
4. "Come with Me" - Helen Schulman - Slooooooooooow start but I finally connected with the book in the final quarter. But, it took me all month (and about a week and a half of late fines from the library) to finish it.
5. "The Heart's Invisible Furies" - John Boyne
6. "Still Me" - Jojo Moyes
7. "To All the Boys I've Loved Before" - Jenny Han
8. "P.S. I Still Love You" - Jenny Han
9. "Always and Forever, Lara Jean" - Jenny Han
10. "The Wedding Date" - Jasmine Guillory - I wanted something and light and found this recommendation from Roxane Gay. I flew through the book. Definitely light and LUSTY.
11. "Rich People Problems" - Kevin Kwan
12. "We're Going to Need More Wine" - Gabrielle Union
13. "Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine" - Gail Honeyman - I found myself crying a lot while reading this book. She really pulls you into the loneliness of this character.
14. "The Proposal" - Jasmine Guillory - I had so much fun with her first book that I hopped onto the second one, which follows a secondary character from her first book.
15. "The Bride Test" - Helen Hoang - This was recommended for folks who liked the Jasmine Guillory books. I was not disappointed. I'm embracing my sudden need for somewhat trashy novels.
16. "The Lager Queen of Minnesota" - J. Ryan Stradal - Life's what happens while you're busy making other plans.
17. "Sunset Beach" - Mary Kay Andrews - I don't really read these but my best friend loves them. So, I thought we could discuss it during our vacation together this week. I started off hating this protagonist, but she and the story grew on me.
18. "The Last Romantics" - Tara Conklin - I wish it would have pulled off the Sci-Fi vibe that it gave me in the beginning. But, I still enjoyed it for the look at loss and grief.
19. "Evvie Drake Starts Over" - Linda Holmes
20. "The Royal Holiday" - Jasmine Guillory - This lady writes the kind of fluff that I like!
21. "The Night Fire" - Michael Connelly - Another Bosch/Ballard book - Harry doesn't believe in coincidences but there was definitely a BIG coincidence in the final act of this book that just seemed lazy. But, I won't get super-mad at Connelly since dude does churn out like 2-3 books a year that I mostly LOVE.
22. "The Wedding Party" - Jasmine Guillory - I want to have a dance party with Theo.
23. "The Dutch House" - Ann Patchett - I could see myself in that car, sitting on that street, sharing a cigarette with those two.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2020, 04:04:42 PM »

1. Andrzej Sapkowski - Baptism of Fire
2. Tara Westover - Educated
3. Andrzej Sapkowski - Tower of Swallows
4. Agatha Christie - And Then There Were None
5. Marlon James - Black Leopard, Red Wolf
6. Kevin Kwan - Crazy Rich Asians
7. Andrey Kurkov - Death and the Penguin
8. Andrzej Sapkowski - The Lady of the Lake
9. Neil Gaiman - The Graveyard Book
10. Andrzej Sapkowski - The Last Wish

Re-reading of the first Witcher book so that I can freshen up for the NETFLIX SHOW THAT RELEASES ON FRIDAY! OMG OMG!

The Last Wish is number 4 on the NY Times best seller list.
https://www.nytimes.com/books/best-sellers/
(since that link will change...here's the screenshot: https://i.redd.it/cc29zpkkel841.png)

That's hilarious. I love it.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2020, 09:38:51 PM »

1.  All We Ever Wanted--Emily Giffin
2.  Let Me List the Ways--Sarah White
3.  My Whole Truth--Mischa Thrace
4.  Hey, Kiddo--Jarrett J Krosoczka  (2019 YALSA Non-Fiction Finalist)
5.  Darius the Great is Not Okay--Adib Khorram (2019 Morris Winner)
6.  The Night Diary--Veera Hiranandani  (2019 Newbery Honor)
7.  The Swing of Things--Linda Keir
8.  Fool's Moon (Tarot Cats Mystery)--Diane A.S. Stuckart
9.  A Heart in a Body in the World--Deb Caletti (2019 Printz Honor)
10.  Check Please!: #Hockey V. 1--Ngozi Ukazu
11.  The Tattooist of Auschwitz--Heather Morris
12.  Hurricane Child--Kacen Callender
13.  Children of Blood and Bone--Tomi Adeyemi
14.  Becoming--Michelle Obama
15.  Beastie Boys Book--Michael Diamond
16.  Hearts Unbroken--Cynthia Leitich Smith
17.  Freshmen--Tom Ellen
18. Liar, Liar--James Patterson
19.  Picture Us in the Light--Kelly Loy Gilbert
20.  The Road to Auschwitz: Fragments of a Life--Hedi Fried
21.  Miracle at St Andrews--James Patterson
22.  Brazen:  Rebel Women Who Rocked the World--Penelope Bagieu
23.  On the Come Up--Angie Thomas
24.  The Chef--James Patterson
25.  The Reckoning--John Grisham
26.  The Driest Season--Meghan Kenny (a Dayton Literary Peace Prize nominee)
27.  The Clubhouse Thief--James Janko (a Dayton Literary Peace Prize nominee)
28.  The Evolution of Love--Lucy Jane Bledsoe (a Dayton Literary Peace Prize nominee)
29.  That Kind of Mother--Rumaan Alam (a Dayton Literary Peace Prize nominee)
30.  Southernmost--Silas House (a Dayton Literary Peace Prize nominee)
31.  The Girl They Left Behind--Roxanne Veletzos (a Dayton Literary Peace Prize nominee)
32.  The Sisters Hemingway--Annie England Noblin

33.  The Lilac Girls--Martha Hall Kelly
34.  The Cornwalls are Gone--James Patterson
35.  The First Lady--James Patterson
36.  After the Shot Drops--Randy Ribay
37.  The Arrangement--Sarah Dunn
38.  The Truth About Leaving--Natalie Blitt
39.  A Beach Wish--Shelley Noble
40.  Monday's Not Coming--Tiffany D Jackson
41.  The War Outside--Monica Hesse
42.  The 18th Abduction--James Patterson
43.  Rayne and Delilah's Midnite Matinee--Jeff Zentner
44.  Sophia, Princess Among Beasts--James Patterson
45.  All the Light We Cannot See--Anthony Doerr
46.  Dig--A.S King
47.  Cilka's Journey--Heather Morris
48.  Shout--Laurie Halse Anderson
49.  With the Fire on High--Elizabeth Acevedo
50.  Look Both Ways:  A Tale Told in Ten Blocks--Jason Reynolds
51.  The Bookish Life of Nina Hill--Abbi Waxman
52.  PET--Akwaeke Emezi
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up