Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 books in 2019  (Read 1086 times)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
50 books in 2019
« on: January 07, 2019, 09:04:06 AM »

I probably won't hit the magic number of 50 books this year, but surprisingly I did last year although I didn't log any of them. Mostly because the majority of them were trashy erotic novels. 2018 was my year of trashy books. This year I've decided to work my way through classic literature - books I feel like I should have read but haven't, books I have read but so long ago that I might get more out of them this time around. I'll probably also hit up a few more music biogs and books on historic events, cuz that's my sweet spot.

But I'm starting out the year with one that is not a classic ... yet. I think in 20 years it will be considered one though.

1. The Heart's Invisible Furies - John Boyne
Beautifully written chronicle of the life of a gay Irish man, spanning the years 1945-present. Snappy dialogue, believable characters, just the right balance of humor and pathos. As soon as I finished it, I wanted to read it all again. A+.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: 50 books in 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 11:47:28 AM »

1. Andrzej Sapkowski - Baptism of Fire

Book 3 in the Witcher series. Turns out that it's not a trilogy - I'm thinking it's a quintilogy. Pentilogy? Pentalogy? Whatever it's called. This story isn't over, so l'm looking forward to the next one. Still love these books.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 11:50:40 AM by Dan »

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 09:50:10 AM »

1. "Manhattan Beach" - Jennifer Egan - Give me a book that's just about Eddie and the bosun.
2. "Dark Sacred Night" - Michael Connelly - Connelly finally puts Bosch and Ballard together and I like it.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 01:17:26 PM »

2. Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
This is a book I vaguely recall reading in either junior high or high school but at the time I didn't really care much for it. I liked it better this time around, moreso as a glimpse of what America was like around the time of the Civil War, rather than as a coming of age story, but I thought Alcott's characters fully-formed, interesting and human. Her writing is gentle, vivid and not nearly as preachy as I found it as a teenager.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 01:39:55 PM »

I probably won't hit the magic number of 50 books this year, but surprisingly I did last year although I didn't log any of them. Mostly because the majority of them were trashy erotic novels. 2018 was my year of trashy books. This year I've decided to work my way through classic literature - books I feel like I should have read but haven't, books I have read but so long ago that I might get more out of them this time around. I'll probably also hit up a few more music biogs and books on historic events, cuz that's my sweet spot.

I did this a while back.  I got exactly 1 book in, CATCHER IN THE RYE, before stopping.  I hated it.  I decided not to put myself through trying to slog through stuff I just didn't care all that much about in the name of "enriching" myself.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 11:45:23 PM »

I probably won't hit the magic number of 50 books this year, but surprisingly I did last year although I didn't log any of them. Mostly because the majority of them were trashy erotic novels. 2018 was my year of trashy books.
I'm very sad you didn't share :-D
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 08:31:26 AM »

I probably won't hit the magic number of 50 books this year, but surprisingly I did last year although I didn't log any of them. Mostly because the majority of them were trashy erotic novels. 2018 was my year of trashy books.

DITTO.
GIVE US THE TRASH.
WE WANT THE TRASH.
TRASH TRASH TRASH.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 09:27:23 AM »

DITTO.
GIVE US THE TRASH.
WE WANT THE TRASH.
TRASH TRASH TRASH.

By far the best was the This Man series by Jodi Ellen Malpas. Ladies, if you haven't read them yet, drop everything and get crackin.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 09:41:29 AM »

DITTO.
GIVE US THE TRASH.
WE WANT THE TRASH.
TRASH TRASH TRASH.

By far the best was the This Man series by Jodi Ellen Malpas. Ladies, if you haven't read them yet, drop everything and get crackin.

Why is my library a big prude!?!?!?!
Not even one of her books in the catalog. :(

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 11:47:25 AM »

I feel like the best erotic novels would be the ones no one ever finishes.

I mean, the readers “finish” for sure.  They just don’t have to read more than a few pages to do it.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 03:41:38 PM »

I feel like the best erotic novels would be the ones no one ever finishes.

I mean, the readers “finish” for sure.  They just don’t have to read more than a few pages to do it.

WORD PR0N!

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 06:30:59 PM »

DITTO.
GIVE US THE TRASH.
WE WANT THE TRASH.
TRASH TRASH TRASH.

:(

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 10:37:46 PM »

Time to move back to Ohio!  ;-)
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 05:51:19 PM »

2. Little Women - Louisa May Alcott

3. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith

Trixi had mentioned this book to me and I am so glad. Beautifully written account of a girl growing up in Brooklyn between 1912 and WWI. The detail is sublime and it's obvious that it was written from first hand experience. A+.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 11:20:05 PM »

3. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith

Trixi had mentioned this book to me and I am so glad. Beautifully written account of a girl growing up in Brooklyn between 1912 and WWI. The detail is sublime and it's obvious that it was written from first hand experience. A+.
Glad you liked it :-)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up