Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 books in 2019  (Read 8153 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: 50 books in 2019
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 09:19:17 AM »

Why is my library a big prude!?!?!?!
Not even one of her books in the catalog. :(
Time to move back to Ohio!  ;-)
Or I could move ITP instead of living OTP.
My friend, Gwynne, was happy to run with MK's suggestion and reserved the entire series at the Atlanta Public Library.
Cobb County is the prude.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 12:07:06 PM »

My friend, Gwynne, was happy to run with MK's suggestion and reserved the entire series at the Atlanta Public Library.
Outsmarting the man!  Maybe you should suggest they purchase them and see if you get a response  http://www.cobbcat.org/how-do-i/suggest-new-material/
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 01:37:52 PM »

Are you getting physical copies?  Because I feel like if you get physical copies of erotic fiction from the library, it will be pretty frustrated when you get to the good part and all the pages are stuck together.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 01:53:13 PM »

Are you getting physical copies?  Because I feel like if you get physical copies of erotic fiction from the library, it will be pretty frustrated when you get to the good part and all the pages are stuck together.
From ladies dropping it in the bathtub?

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 01:53:31 PM »

Eew. The good parts may be stuck together for guys ... but for women the best pages are usually dog-eared.

Not that I'd know.

Heh.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 01:57:48 PM »

Outsmarting the man!  Maybe you should suggest they purchase them and see if you get a response  http://www.cobbcat.org/how-do-i/suggest-new-material/

DONE!
I noted that a friend was able to get the entire series from APL. Hopefully that burns up some librarian's competitive nature and gets my request expedited! :)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2019, 02:02:34 PM »

Yay!

It really is a good series. She's an excellent writer.

There were so many that I read last year that insulted the intelligence of the reader, so it was very refreshing to stumble upon Jodi's work. Her One Night series is also a good'un.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2019, 03:02:49 PM »

There were so many that I read last year that insulted the intelligence of the reader, so it was very refreshing to stumble upon Jodi's work. Her One Night series is also a good'un.

I'll tell Gwynner about that one, too.
I've never read the TRASH before. But, Gwynne picked up the "habit" from her grandmother. HAHAHAH.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2019, 08:56:11 AM »

1. "Manhattan Beach" - Jennifer Egan - Give me a book that's just about Eddie and the bosun.
2. "Dark Sacred Night" - Michael Connelly - Connelly finally puts Bosch and Ballard together and I like it.
3. "My Own Devices: Essays From the Road on Music, Science, and Senseless Love" - Dessa - I first heard about Dessa during Barb during her MPR days. I saw this book on the NPR book thingy and thought I would check it out. Parts of this book will definitely stick with me for a long time. I love the way her mind works, even if it seems to work against her in some aspects of her life.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2019, 12:38:20 PM »

1. Andrzej Sapkowski - Baptism of Fire
2. Tara Westover - Educated

Memoir from a woman who grew up in Idaho with a father who truly believes the end of days is coming, but is really a book about abusive relationships and manipulation. And from the perspective of a victim, clearly. The first 100-125 pages or so were pretty straightforward childhood stuff. But then the book transforms into something so much more. I found myself saying out loud, "oh my god" about every third chapter, and the fact that the book concludes in the way it does made me go OH MY GOD even more so. So yeah, interesting stuff.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2019, 04:17:16 PM »

2. Tara Westover - Educated

Memoir from a woman who grew up in Idaho with a father who truly believes the end of days is coming, but is really a book about abusive relationships and manipulation. And from the perspective of a victim, clearly. The first 100-125 pages or so were pretty straightforward childhood stuff. But then the book transforms into something so much more. I found myself saying out loud, "oh my god" about every third chapter, and the fact that the book concludes in the way it does made me go OH MY GOD even more so. So yeah, interesting stuff.

A few friends had that as their top book from last year. I definitely want to read it.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2019, 12:22:06 PM »

If you can handle a non-fiction/memoir... certainly recommended.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2019, 11:53:57 PM »

1.  All We Ever Wanted--Emily Giffin
2.  Let Me List the Ways--Sarah White
3.  My Whole Truth--Mischa Thrace
4.  Hey, Kiddo--Jarrett J Krosoczka  (2019 YALSA Non-Fiction Finalist)
5.  Darius the Great is Not Okay--Adib Khorram (2019 Morris Winner)
6.  The Night Diary--Veera Hiranandani  (2019 Newbery Honor)
7.  The Swing of Things--Linda Keir
8.  Fool's Moon (Tarot Cats Mystery)--Diane A.S. Stuckart
9.  A Heart in a Body in the World--Deb Caletti (2019 Printz Honor)
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 11:51:46 AM »

1-  i'm a stranger here myself- bill bryson-  this was a toilet book which bled into this year.  first time reading bryson.  it was sorta funny.  i didn't shoot root beer or any beer out of my nose like the jacket suggested.  i typically don't drink while i read.  great toilet fodder nonetheless.  his trite hyperbole was eye rolling; stuff involving options at coffee shops, fixing things, computer helplines....  but this was like 1999 and he hadn't lived in the country for twenty years.  maybe he didn't know we thought that was trite hyperbole back then.   seems like a pretty likeable guy.  he likes things i like.  pubs,  the occasional out of doors, new hampshire, wife in charge of major/minor decisions......  he has an odd distaste for basements which i find distasteful.  i like basements

2- oh crap!  Potty Training: Everything Modern Parents Need to Know to Do It Once and Do It Right- jamie glowacki-  well it didn't take long for the kid to get potty trained.   just a few days like the book said.  pretty in demand book.  i wanted to hold onto it for night training to no avail.  we'll have to get it again.  i valued the thought behind her approach.  mental preparation.  a bit of rewiring to the ole brain.  it's so natural to say to your child that it's ok you peed yourself, you're still getting the hang of it.  how the hell do i know you know when to use the potty?  uh uhh.  that shit goes in the potty.  you really wanna soil your paw patrol big girl panties?  i'm very impressed with what toddlers are capable of.  actually, more than impressed 

since i cook for the house, i'm pretty used to mom speak from internet recipes.  it's like that but with a mild amount of swearing

3- sideshow usa: freaks and the american cultural imagination-  rachel adams- hard to find the books i was looking for at the library so i settled for this exploration into academia.  i guess i found the freaks i was looking for.  never thought i'd force myself to be drawn in to the critique of carson mccullers or the spellbinding novel geek love by katherine dunn (how insane!).  it's an education on the history of contemporary freaks.  from barnum to queers to hippies to everything in between.  i just wanted a sideshow barker.  although this williamsburg troupe with a juggler who juggles amongst many things the insertion of a lubed dildo into a woman standing on her hands might be worth checking out
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 12:50:29 PM by daytime drinking »
poach eggs, not elephants

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2019, 09:08:28 AM »

1. "Manhattan Beach" - Jennifer Egan - Give me a book that's just about Eddie and the bosun.
2. "Dark Sacred Night" - Michael Connelly - Connelly finally puts Bosch and Ballard together and I like it.
3. "My Own Devices: Essays From the Road on Music, Science, and Senseless Love" - Dessa - I first heard about Dessa during Barb during her MPR days. I saw this book on the NPR book thingy and thought I would check it out. Parts of this book will definitely stick with me for a long time. I love the way her mind works, even if it seems to work against her in some aspects of her life.
4. "Come with Me" - Helen Schulman - Slooooooooooow start but I finally connected with the book in the final quarter. But, it took me all month (and about a week and a half of late fines from the library) to finish it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up