Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 books in 2019  (Read 4545 times)

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
Re: 50 books in 2019
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2019, 06:32:26 PM »

1. "Manhattan Beach" - Jennifer Egan - Give me a book that's just about Eddie and the bosun.
2. "Dark Sacred Night" - Michael Connelly - Connelly finally puts Bosch and Ballard together and I like it.
3. "My Own Devices: Essays From the Road on Music, Science, and Senseless Love" - Dessa - I first heard about Dessa during Barb during her MPR days. I saw this book on the NPR book thingy and thought I would check it out. Parts of this book will definitely stick with me for a long time. I love the way her mind works, even if it seems to work against her in some aspects of her life.
4. "Come with Me" - Helen Schulman - Slooooooooooow start but I finally connected with the book in the final quarter. But, it took me all month (and about a week and a half of late fines from the library) to finish it.
5. "The Heart's Invisible Furies" - John Boyne
6. "Still Me" - Jojo Moyes
7. "To All the Boys I've Loved Before" - Jenny Han
8. "P.S. I Still Love You" - Jenny Han
9. "Always and Forever, Lara Jean" - Jenny Han
10. "The Wedding Date" - Jasmine Guillory - I wanted something and light and found this recommendation from Roxane Gay. I flew through the book. Definitely light and LUSTY.
11. "Rich People Problems" - Kevin Kwan
12. "We're Going to Need More Wine" - Gabrielle Union
13. "Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine" - Gail Honeyman - I found myself crying a lot while reading this book. She really pulls you into the loneliness of this character.

Self regarding nonsense obviously but didn’t you also read “The Music Shop”?
Opulence. I has it.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2019, 08:25:27 AM »

1. "Manhattan Beach" - Jennifer Egan - Give me a book that's just about Eddie and the bosun.
2. "Dark Sacred Night" - Michael Connelly - Connelly finally puts Bosch and Ballard together and I like it.
3. "My Own Devices: Essays From the Road on Music, Science, and Senseless Love" - Dessa - I first heard about Dessa during Barb during her MPR days. I saw this book on the NPR book thingy and thought I would check it out. Parts of this book will definitely stick with me for a long time. I love the way her mind works, even if it seems to work against her in some aspects of her life.
4. "Come with Me" - Helen Schulman - Slooooooooooow start but I finally connected with the book in the final quarter. But, it took me all month (and about a week and a half of late fines from the library) to finish it.
10. "The Wedding Date" - Jasmine Guillory - I wanted something and light and found this recommendation from Roxane Gay. I flew through the book. Definitely light and LUSTY.
13. "Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine" - Gail Honeyman - I found myself crying a lot while reading this book. She really pulls you into the loneliness of this character.

Self regarding nonsense obviously but didn’t you also read “The Music Shop”?
I started it but didn't finish it before it was due back. I'm on the list again.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2019, 05:30:16 PM »

I started it but didn't finish it before it was due back. I'm on the list again.
I could have the publisher send you a copy.

(Joking)
Opulence. I has it.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2019, 04:35:37 PM »

14. "The Proposal" - Jasmine Guillory - I had so much fun with her first book that I hopped onto the second one, which follows a secondary character from her first book.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2019, 04:35:59 PM »

1. Andrzej Sapkowski - Baptism of Fire
2. Tara Westover - Educated
3. Andrzej Sapkowski - Tower of Swallows
4. Agatha Christie - And Then There Were None
5. Marlon James - Black Leopard, Red Wolf
6. Kevin Kwan - Crazy Rich Asians

Thoroughly enjoyed it. I suspect it's because I knew the movie well enough and was constantly comparing/contrasting. Or maybe I just needed something lighter to read. But whatever - I liked it.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2019, 11:59:00 PM »

1-  i'm a stranger here myself- bill bryson
2- oh crap!  Potty Training: Everything Modern Parents Need to Know to Do It Once and Do It Right- jamie glowacki
3- sideshow usa: freaks and the american cultural imagination-  rachel adams
4- bhagavad gita- translated and commentary by ac bhaktivedanta swami prabhupada
5- lord of light- roger zelazny
6- uncle's dream- dostoyevsky
7- infinite jest- david foster wallace
8- the complete works of pseudo dionysius

9- nigger of the narcissus- joseph conrad-   i wasn't quite sure if i liked this'un.  i  suspect i'm not thinking deeply, despite it taking longer than anticipated.  i was going to start nostromo, but i read the jacket of this and conrad said this was his litmus test for an artist.  his manifesto.  and it was his favorite

i love his language.  well, for the most part.   today's warrior poets have podcasts.  wild times at sea.  wild times in the hearts of men     

« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 07:54:38 AM by daytime drinking »
poach eggs, not elephants

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2019, 10:16:55 AM »

We need to start a collection and buy DD a shift key.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2019, 02:17:22 PM »

We need to start a collection and buy DD a shift key.

Do we? I always immediately know which posts are his/hers.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up