Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New TV shows in 2019  (Read 3194 times)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Re: New TV shows in 2019
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2019, 03:48:17 PM »

Ha! That's because

1. He forgot he'd watched the first season and couldn't remember what was going on
2. He is busy doing Facebook posts instead of watching
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2019, 09:44:34 AM »

Ha! That's because

1. He forgot he'd watched the first season and couldn't remember what was going on

SHAAAAAAAAAAAADE.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2019, 11:32:45 AM »

Ha! That's because

Well, this is helpful, because this would totally be me.  I can't follow anything anymore.  I never could remember what the hell happened in a show from one season to the next, but the phone fiddling really sent me over the rails.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2019, 08:24:55 PM »

Ha! That's because

So WE watched the whole of the 2nd season and still had no real clue WTF was going on. After it jumped the octopus I deemed it nonsense personified.
Opulence. I has it.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2019, 01:40:58 PM »

Watched "Unauthorized Bash Brothers" last night.

It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect.

For 3 or 5 minutes it's just your typical Lonely Island/SNL short and it works just fine.  There's a few solid dick jokes, who doesn't like white guy B-Boy Beastie Boys rap (even if the production is clearly not late 80's), a couple of sight gags.  haha Andy Samburg looks nothing like Jose Conseco, but what a funny wig.  That's a solid package for a short bit.

For maybe another 10 minutes, there's a level of absurdist humor to it.  There is no way they could possibly stretch that  material out this long, but it's kind of fun to see them try.  And fail.  And knowing they are failing so just going to absurd lengths to get any sort of laugh.  You've moved from laughing with them to laughing at them, but at least you're still laughing.  And they're in on the joke.  They know it sucks.

And then after that, it's just kind of like "Oh wait.  This is what they always do."  This Bash Brothers concept could just as easily be George Bush or Princess Diana or anything else because in the end all they have is a few clever rhymes and some dick jokes and there is no reason to watch a half hour that is really just broken down into five videos which are exactly the same as the other half dozen videos they've done.

I will never not enjoy seeing Haim, Maya Rudolph or Sia in a guest appearance in a funny music video.  So there's that.  I wonder though, do people know that's Haim?  Like were they ever popular enough that people recognize them, know who they are, and therefore find it funny that they'd be in a stupidsilly video?  Or do they just think they are extras, or "oh yeah, I guess they got Haim because they work cheap and could use the money."

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2019, 01:54:15 PM »

I watched CASTLE ROCK a couple of weeks ago.  I didn't know Melanie Lynskey was in it, probably would've watched it RIGHT AWAY had I known.

I felt like there was a lot of potential with the concept, but I also felt like the central conceit of the season was a supernatural mishmash that didn't make a ton of sense.  I would probably watch a 2nd season if we get Lynskey on board.  Not sure if that would be happening considering the conclusion.  Short of that, not sure about continuing.

Also finally finished the 3rd season of BASKETS.  The season wore on my nerves a bit, the scenes with Galifianakis as the crazy out-of-control twin that were supposed to be confrontational gonzo comedy just grated really bad.  By the time we got to the end of the season, I literally felt like I had seen this arc in a previous season already.  But the cliffhanger will bring me back.  I actually think the central Chip clown guy, Martha, and the mom are really solid characters. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 01:56:40 PM by Butter »

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2019, 05:18:41 PM »

They are doing a Season 2 of Castle Rock.  Lizzie Caplan is going to play Anne Wilkes the crazy nurse from Misery.  Also Elsie Fisher and Tim Robins are in it.  Melanie Lynskey is not in it as far as I know, although she may make a guest appearance.

The idea behind the series is that each season will be showcase a different character/story of what happens to someone in the town.  But I think they screwed that up by the ending being such a mess. 

To me the way it should work is you tell unrelated horror stores only involving a small amount of paranormal/supernatural shit.  And then gradually over the course of seasons, people start to put together the story of what is happening in Castle Rock.

But the way the first season went, they told us what happened in Castle Rock.  There's some sort of reality portal and it fucks people up.  Maybe there's a specific malevolent force behind it or maybe it's just a fucked up thing that just exists.

But either way, it doesn't really matter.  People are going to go to Castle Rock, and then something bad will happen in Castle Rock because that's what happens.  We already know everyone who goes there is screwed.  The exact sequence of events that result is not very interesting once we know the ending is assured.  The suspense is doubly killed by using characters from the actual books.

I already know what happens to Annie Wilkes.  I already know she's inherently already a somewhat evil/crazy person, and then that evil/craziness is supplemented by the thing in Castle Rock and she kidnaps a writer, etc.  I'm not really that interested in exploring exactly how much she is crazy or how much is Castle Rock or whatever.  Not only that but I feel like it's no-win, plot-wise.  To the extent the force of Castle Rock is making her that way, it makes Wilkes a much less scary and compelling figure because she's not really doing anything.  To the extent that it's all Wilkes, it makes the series less compelling because it makes the thing in Castle Rock not as powerful.

If there was some way I felt like the evil in Castle Rock could be defeated or that the things that happen there mattered in anyway, then I could keep watching.  But apparently there isn't.  There's some bad shit there that is apparently beyond our understanding.  So I'm not feeling any desire to try and understand it, which then means I really don't need to watch the show.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2019, 10:02:07 AM »

Never finished the first season of Castle Rock.  We never got to a point where we thought it was bad, we just watch too many other things and it dropped off after a while.  The next season sounds intriguing, but sounds like the first one went off the rails.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2019, 11:39:20 AM »

blood and treasure on cbs seems to be fun through the first two episodes. jewell of the nile, meets indiana jones.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2019, 12:21:35 PM »

blood and treasure on cbs seems to be fun through the first two episodes. jewell of the nile, meets indiana jones.

Oh, WOW! I had no interest in starting this but I might have to after reading your description. THANKS!
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2019, 09:59:46 AM »

CHERNOBYL

Really really good.  Jared Harris is killing it on TV right now, between this and the criminally underwatched THE TERROR.  If you still never saw THE TERROR, I think it just came to Hulu.  It is perhaps a tad overlong, but it is maybe even more brutal than CHERNOBYL was, and that includes the scene with the dude that pretty much had no skin left.

Also, Stellan Skarsgard looks like the Dad from Frasier in this.  While it was odd to have the whole cast speak English, it actually helps the show overall I think.  The odder choice was probably to have the cast speak English, but leave certain very small portions of it in untranslated Russian, or using Cyrillic for all written language.

This also had some of the best period design/attention to detail of any show I've seen.  I looked at pictures from the actual Chernobyl, and it is almost indistinguishable.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2019, 07:51:55 AM »

WHEN THEY SEE US

Brutal.  Almost like 4 self-contained movies, all with their own aspect of the story.  There is stellar acting throughout, but none approaches the level of Jharrel Jerome.  He is the only one of the actors who plays both the teenage and adult versions of the Central Park 5, and I am not kidding when I say that I thought it was a totally different guy.  So much so that during the final credits roll, I rewound to see if I missed the guy who played Korey as an adult, and then had to go online when I thought they had clearly left him out of the credits, or maybe it was some uncredited star.  Nope, same guy.

Duvernay's oeuvre is overwrought social commentary (witness SELMA and the surprisingly moving 13TH), and this certainly fits the bill.  But I think that what all 3 of these films have in common is that the heightened melodrama is more than earned by the stakes.  No doubt some creative license has been taken here to perhaps brighten up these kids' lives and ratchet up the mustache-twirling from law enforcement... but make no mistake, what happened here was railroading and evil. 

After I finished it Monday night, I thought I wouldn't see a better series than CHERNOBYL this year.  I was wrong.  See this.

Side note:

Between this and a recent listen of SERIAL podcast season 3, is there any fucking wonder why people of color have absolutely zero faith in the justice system?  Yeah, both of these are great pieces of storytelling.  Trump notwithstanding, god damn are things in the justice system fucked up.  Cops and the state just bend facts to their will and get people convicted often despite the evidence just because they think that whoever is dangerous and needs to be put away.  Sure, maybe they didn't do THIS crime, but they'll do one soon enough, so might as well just put them away.

It's enough to make a guy want to go back to law school, seriously.  I'm too old for that shit, but I found myself mentally despairing at the end of this show, and really found that there isn't much I can do about any of this, and that didn't help my frame of mind.  It's that affecting.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2019, 09:14:46 AM »

Thanks for the recommend on When They See Us. I'll have CR add it to our queue because we both absolutely LOVED Chernobyl and if you reckon this is even better ... wow.

We've just started Good Omens tho, so it may take awhile to get to it.

Also, did anyone watch the 1969 series? ABC did a crap job of promoting it and we'd have never heard about it if a friend hadn't recommended it to us. So if you haven't watched it, add it to your watch list.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2019, 09:27:12 AM »

Thanks for the recommend on When They See Us. I'll have CR add it to our queue because we both absolutely LOVED Chernobyl and if you reckon this is even better ... wow.

We've just started Good Omens tho, so it may take awhile to get to it.

Also, did anyone watch the 1969 series? ABC did a crap job of promoting it and we'd have never heard about it if a friend hadn't recommended it to us. So if you haven't watched it, add it to your watch list.

I will warn you specifically that there are certain parts of this that reminded me of IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK, not necessarily in content or tone, but certainly in style and length of scene.  Duvernay is not afraid of sticking uncomfortably with a scene.  I thought it worked then and it works here, but I know that CR didn't fancy that film so much, so this is a YMMV situation.

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2019, 09:43:57 AM »

Watched "Unauthorized Bash Brothers" last night.

It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect.

As a Reds fan, this work was complete garbage.  They completely ignored the 1990 WS when the Reds swept their andro-asses.  I don't know what happened to a commitment to telling the whole story with journalistic integrity in parody visual poems, but this is a highly biased work by two A's apologists. 
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up