Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New TV shows in 2019  (Read 4723 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: New TV shows in 2019
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 11:56:06 AM »

The thing that gets me with cable is they charge you like $12 for the equipment rental, $12 for "DVR service," $10 for local tv channels, $10 for RSN, plus taxes.  And none of that is included in their advertised price.

So the hidden fees alone add up to one month of streaming. 

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 10:43:46 AM »

Ugh don't get me started on equipment rental.  We bought a TiVo box a year or two ago to get away from the 12 year old and severely out of date DVR that Time Warner was charging us $10 a month for.  I mean, we all know that there were hard drive capacity increases between 2004 and 2016, right?  So I went to take the thing back and they said... well, you can turn this in, but your price will go up.  What?  Oh yeah, its part of your package price.  But it's listed as a line item on the bill.  Smoke and mirrors apparently.  So what we ended up doing was taking a plain old cable box, which is now sitting on my shelf and my fees went down $8 a month (never mind that my bill is more every month than the month before somehow). 

So, Spectrum, or whatever they're called now, is ostensibly paying me $8 a month to store a cable box for them.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 02:53:59 PM »

The Killer Mike show on Netflix is hilarious.  And actually somewhat thought provoking.  I suspect itís going to offend some people, but itís definitely somewhat tongue in cheek. 

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 03:20:56 PM »

the haunting of hill house - netflix;

started watching this; fairly compelling plot lines with the supernatural, kinda reminds me of lost with the questions being asked and the cliff hangers. much better than lost with answering questions and tying up loose ends. good acting and some nice tension/scary scenes. one episode was very kubrickian reminding me of the shining. we're at episode 8/10. enjoying it so far. will update when we finish.

finished the 10 episodes last night. satisfying finish. most questions answered - to be fair, i think i missed some of the closure. i did enjoy watching the show, and it's a mini series so it's all wrapped up.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 04:23:55 PM »

It's based on the Shirley Jackson novel (somewhat). If you really enjoyed it but you want more, you can read the book.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 05:13:21 PM »

It's based on the Shirley Jackson novel (somewhat). If you really enjoyed it but you want more, you can read the book.

thanks! i think the girlfriend has ordered it from the library! she said it's relatively short, under 300 pages?

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 05:24:52 PM »

The show takes liberties with the story.
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2019, 12:37:33 PM »

But Netflix I could not live without.  If I were in a money pinch I would probably drop everything EXCEPT Netflix.  Itís what I watch probably 75% of the time, at least.  Itís right up there with HBO as far as their original programming dominating critics lists.  But they have more movies and quirky stuff not intended for mass appeal but are interesting if you are into music or comedy or whatever. 

x2

Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2019, 05:33:29 PM »

Anyone else watching the new BBC Earth documentary series "Dynasties"? It's hosted and narrated by David Attenborough (of course!). If you love Planet Earth and its various sequels and spinoffs, you will not want to miss this. New episodes airing on BBC America on Saturdays 9 om.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 10:49:09 AM »

Thanks for the tip. I'd love to watch that when it's on streaming.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2019, 06:04:55 PM »

Netflix's Russian Doll is awesome, as is Natasha Lyonne in it.
also known as rcc94

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2019, 10:20:32 AM »

The jokes about the Broadway show "Cats" in the last season of Kimmy Schmidt are fantastic.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2019, 07:29:36 AM »

AGREED.  I'd love to see how they make a Season 2 out of this, but hopefully they won't.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2019, 02:44:03 PM »

Started on Umbrella Academy last night.  I'm about 3/4 into the second episode.

There's something off about it that I can't put my finger on.  It's an interesting premise, the effects are good, I like Ellen Page.  I haven't read the comics, but it definitely has a kind of comics feel that I dig.

And yet I find it very easy to turn this off, and even watching it my attention wanders.  I think it's the pacing/plot development.  I don't care enough about any of these people yet to want them to save the world or care about their fights.  So, I'm just hoping they're going to start bringing in a lot more backstory soon.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2019, 02:54:32 PM »

AGREED.  I'd love to see how they make a Season 2 out of this, but hopefully they won't.

Oooh, we watched this too. I liked Natasha Lyonne, but I found her hardcore "New Yorker" accent grating. In truth, I find that grating no matter who is speaking it, so this isn't about her. It's more about - why did they insist on that? It was very off putting for us.

That being said, we were otherwise happily invested in it. I loved that it was only 8 episodes, and I loved that they were only 22ish minutes. My kind of show!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up