Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New TV shows in 2019  (Read 2992 times)

dirk

• City Elder
Re: New TV shows in 2019
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2019, 04:31:21 PM »

Started on Umbrella Academy last night.  I'm about 3/4 into the second episode.

There's something off about it that I can't put my finger on.  It's an interesting premise, the effects are good, I like Ellen Page.  I haven't read the comics, but it definitely has a kind of comics feel that I dig.

And yet I find it very easy to turn this off, and even watching it my attention wanders.  I think it's the pacing/plot development.  I don't care enough about any of these people yet to want them to save the world or care about their fights.  So, I'm just hoping they're going to start bringing in a lot more backstory soon.
That's interesting, as I felt the opposite way. I also had never read the comic, but it kept my attention very well, and I am one to usually wander easily. I did the whole thing in a weekend and really enjoyed it.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2019, 12:14:46 AM »

Started on Umbrella Academy last night.  I'm about 3/4 into the second episode.

There's something off about it that I can't put my finger on.  It's an interesting premise, the effects are good, I like Ellen Page.  I haven't read the comics, but it definitely has a kind of comics feel that I dig.

And yet I find it very easy to turn this off, and even watching it my attention wanders.  I think it's the pacing/plot development.  I don't care enough about any of these people yet to want them to save the world or care about their fights.  So, I'm just hoping they're going to start bringing in a lot more backstory soon.
That's interesting, as I felt the opposite way. I also had never read the comic, but it kept my attention very well, and I am one to usually wander easily. I did the whole thing in a weekend and really enjoyed it.

Yeah, Iím into it now.  Third episode had a lot of character development/revelation and fixed my issues.  Been binge watching it tonight and enjoying it a lot.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2019, 12:42:00 AM »

Netflix's Russian Doll is awesome, as is Natasha Lyonne in it.

AGREED.  I'd love to see how they make a Season 2 out of this, but hopefully they won't.

Oooh, we watched this too. I liked Natasha Lyonne, but I found her hardcore "New Yorker" accent grating. In truth, I find that grating no matter who is speaking it, so this isn't about her. It's more about - why did they insist on that? It was very off putting for us.

That being said, we were otherwise happily invested in it. I loved that it was only 8 episodes, and I loved that they were only 22ish minutes. My kind of show!

Isnít Natasha Lyonne one of the three writers and producers of the show?  So I guess she insisted she talk that way.

Although really, I think she just talks that way. Sheís from New York.  Iím not saying she canít write a period piece and maybe do a fine British accent, maybe she can.  But it would be more of a stretch/insistence for her as a writer (which she says drew on her own experiences as a druggie in NY) to NOT have it in New York and talk like that.

Itís more odd maybe that no one else had a New York accent.  Yes I know NY is a busy metropolitan area with all sorts of people, but her character was not particularly cosmopolitan yet hung out with those types.  I mean, how is Michael Rapaport not in this other than maybe it would be awkward?

I thought it was okay, but I wasnít as into it as the critics seem to be.  I donít want a second season not because the first season was so perfect but more because it had so many flaws that would have been exposed if it went any longer.

The tone is very inconsistent.  It goes from Groundhog Day comedy to trippy sci-fi ish drama to near-rear jerker.  We never really know what is happening in the afterlife or why we should particularly care, but for one season, itís enough just for it to be kinda trippy and keep us entertained.

The way to go two or more seasons would have been to explore more of why this was happening to them, and how they work on ways to stop it and why stopping it is necessary.  But we never get into all that, and by the end it doesnít matter.  Itís a little harsh maybe to criticize that as a flaw.  But it was paced for one season, which means you necessarily give up some things as a trade-off for others.  Canít go back and try to redo it now.

I give it a solid B/B+.  It was entertaining enough but I was at no poin like, enthralled by it nor was it ever thought-provoking enough to where Iíve been thinking about it afterwards.  I have no particular interest in seeing more or seeing it ever again, biput I did enjoy it once which is cool.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2019, 11:14:28 AM »

Netflix's Russian Doll is awesome, as is Natasha Lyonne in it.

AGREED.  I'd love to see how they make a Season 2 out of this, but hopefully they won't.

Oooh, we watched this too. I liked Natasha Lyonne, but I found her hardcore "New Yorker" accent grating. In truth, I find that grating no matter who is speaking it, so this isn't about her. It's more about - why did they insist on that? It was very off putting for us.

That being said, we were otherwise happily invested in it. I loved that it was only 8 episodes, and I loved that they were only 22ish minutes. My kind of show!
Itís more odd maybe that no one else had a New York accent.  Yes I know NY is a busy metropolitan area with all sorts of people, but her character was not particularly cosmopolitan yet hung out with those types. 

There's so much New York out there that we all have different experiences here, but I can say from my experience that it's very normal to not have other New York accents around. The accent still exists, but I suspect it is more in some of the blue collars professions, or out on Long Island, or just somewhere else. When I run across it in person it's usually very notable because it's fairly rare.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2019, 04:21:13 PM »

Isnít Natasha Lyonne one of the three writers and producers of the show?  So I guess she insisted she talk that way.

Although really, I think she just talks that way. Sheís from New York. 

This is it.  She just talks this way.  If you hear any of her media appearances, this is not a "put on" accent.

She's a goddamn delight.

I give it an 8/10.  The tonal shifts were a bit jarring at times, but that's part of what made it fun.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2019, 12:44:34 AM »

I like Natasha Lyonne okay.  She pretty much always plays the same character but itís a good one. 

She makes extremely poor personal life choices, though.  First the drugs and now Fred Armisen.

8/10 seems pretty fair to me.  Agree that the tonal shifts were part of what made it fun, but also what would make it hard to do another season.  The only thing that bugged me about the show was

What was the deal with things disappearing?  Iím fine with that being just sort of trippy and no explanation as to why it happened.  But I kinda need to know why the protagonists cared that it happened.  Like I could totally see how if you were married or had kids it would be terrible to see them disappear.  But kinda the whole point was that neither of those two were very happy with their lives or the people they surrounded themselves with.  They had already isolated themselves and checked out emotionally were just going through the motions.  And yet, they were growing fond of each other.  So what would be so bad from their perspective about everyone disappearing and leaving just the two of them alone, and finally free?

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2019, 06:47:36 AM »

She makes extremely poor personal life choices, though.  First the drugs and now Fred Armisen.

HA!  I thought the same thing when I heard about Fred Armisen.  I thought he was a well known relationship douchebag, but I guess not well known enough.

Also, I hate that I know those kinds of things about Fred Armisen, why should I care.

Finally, on Fred Armisen, I remember seeing some behind-the-scenes documentary about PORTLANDIA, and how Carrie was talking about Fred like they were in love, I guess not romantically... but it was still creepy.  He's just a creepy dysfunctional guy.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2019, 09:33:15 AM »

What was the deal with things disappearing?

I thought it achieved two things:
1) it made the characters start to panic and not think that they were stuck repeating forever so that they would finally get their act together
2) it gave them a sense of finality when everything reappeared. This allowed them and the viewer to know that this was the last one...or their last try....or that maybe they would actually die if they didn't get this one right...etc.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2019, 03:19:13 PM »

Finished Umbrella Academy this weekend.

I quite enjoyed it, but it was very graphic novel in feel.  It had a very definite style to it, from the story-telling to the costumes and set design.

Which to me, personally means they probably did a good job.  But I also think it's going to have trouble appealing to a wider audience.  I think most people when they see a comic/super-hero thing they just want to see cool special effects and some good guys kick ass on bad guys.  Not a deeper thing with lots of emo/young teen drama stuff about family, personal relationships and philosophical ruminations on the meaning of life.

I guess the same could be said for Deadly Class, except Deadly Class is boring me to tears.  I have two recorded episodes in still to watch but I think I'm done.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2019, 07:23:46 AM »

LOSERS on Netflix.

8 documentary half hours with animation that helps tell the story about famous (and not-so-famous) sports losers.  And only about half are American, the others are worldwide.

HIGHLY recommended.  Mostly lighthearted, and not really a downer at all, and certainly not having fun at anyone's expense.  Can't imagine it being done any better than this.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2019, 11:37:23 AM »

Yeah, Losers was good.

My only minor complaint about it is that I would regard very few of the athletes as "losers."  And not because the series painted them in a different light.  I just wouldn't ever consider them losers in the first place. 

Like being the 2nd best or 10th best in the world at a sport is not being a loser, ever.  And then a lot of them competed in individual sports, where I think you get even more leeway.  You have no responsibility to your teammates.  So if you want to compete without being a super-asshole, or you want to do backflips and quads instead of waving your arms gracefully, that's entirely up to you.  You maybe don't get a medal, but who cares?  I look at it like a lot of times you are good at a sport that doesn't actually exist, so you're competing in the closest thing to that instead.

Maybe Jack Ryan was the one guy who I might consider a "loser."  Maybe van de Velde, although even then I'd still lean towards he had a particularly bad performance at a very inopportune time.

Anyway, it was still a really entertaining series.  I just consider it more like good 30 for 30 episodes.  Interesting insights into some interesting people, but no much of an expose into the notion of "loser."

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2019, 09:14:47 AM »

Yeah, Losers was good.

My only minor complaint about it is that I would regard very few of the athletes as "losers."  And not because the series painted them in a different light.  I just wouldn't ever consider them losers in the first place.

I suppose, but it was mainly about people who failed at the highest level of their sport.  Surya Bonaly was something like a 5 time European champion, but she never won a gold medal so she qualifies.  I certainly think they were playing fast and loose with "loser", but to use as a backdrop to tell really interesting stories, it works. 

Like the curling guys, none of them were losers really.  But it was about how they reacted to losing.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2019, 03:53:43 PM »

Anyone else watching the second season of The OA on Netflix? We are only a few episodes into the new season and whoa.

Part of me feels as though I am getting suckered into something that is going to end up being a Lost-type letdown, but damn, what a ride so far.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2019, 04:07:49 PM »

We are 7/8ths through Hanna on Amazon Prime. I love it. So good. Not a lot to discuss, but they were true to the movie in a lot of ways while also making it their own thing.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2019, 11:27:47 AM »

Anyone else watching the second season of The OA on Netflix? We are only a few episodes into the new season and whoa.

Part of me feels as though I am getting suckered into something that is going to end up being a Lost-type letdown, but damn, what a ride so far.

Based on his Facebook post, I got the impression that CR hated it.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up